Moonrise Kingdom | Syracusefan.com

Moonrise Kingdom

Faegan

All Conference
Finally saw it. I'm on the 40+ parent of 2 movie delay. What a great movie. Production design is absolutely, positively, insanely awesome. So glad I bought it on blu ray and can watch it whenever.

I kind of hate talking about Wes Anderson because he has that whole fanboy thing going, like an Apple computer come to life just to make movies for us all, but I guess I'll give it a shot.

First, I enjoy most of his films.

Note: I would imagine most of his fans really, really, really like 'Mad Men' though - a lot of style over substance to be honest.

For me his films are just kind of fun to watch (one time) - the same gratification I get from watching bad sci-fi film. Nothing has really been phenomenal since Rushmore. Although they are all fairly enjoyable, this one seemed to be the least so - it felt like a 30 minute movie that he really pushed to get an extra hour out of.

Characters are always pretty much the same now in his films - I think he just picks out weird traits, puts them on a dartboard and then assigns each person random quirks based on where the darts land.

This particular movie reminds me a bit of 'Clerks' in that a lot of it is simply boring - people tend to forgive that based on the cool factor though. At least 'Clerks' was a Kevin Smith first, this is Wes Anderson just making pretty much the same movie again. I'm not sure if the point of this one is just to juxtapose children as adults/adults as children, or pureness...or I don't know. It seems like he's showcasing the same characters and cinematography again - it's beautiful cinematography -- not much more.

His movies are more like paintings, lots of fun to look at, but they're not very good films.

... It seems like he's showcasing the same characters and cinematography again - it's beautiful cinematography -- not much more.
He definitely has a formula as do most directors. People either like his style or they don't I guess. I don't find it boring, but I see how some could.

He definitely has a formula as do most directors. People either like his style or they don't I guess. I don't find it boring, but I see how some could.

I don't think many directors are anywhere near as formulaic.

Again, I find them mostly enjoyable, but not sure what makes it great other than the cinematography and "cool" factor.

To each his own though - I certainly like a lot of crap. :)

you know, I largely agree with you Ghost. I loved Bottle Rocket & Rushmore, but have been underwhelmed since then. This one, though, I really liked.

you know, I largely agree with you Ghost. I loved Bottle Rocket & Rushmore, but have been underwhelmed since then. This one, though, I really liked.

Same.

Thanks - the hard part about criticizing his films is that I like them and could care less if he never changes up his style at all. Even this one I enjoyed, I just thought the parts with the adults (other than Ed Norton) were kind of dull though - and I love Bill Murray.

Finally saw it. I'm on the 40+ parent of 2 movie delay. What a great movie. Production design is absolutely, positively, insanely awesome. So glad I bought it on blu ray and can watch it whenever.
Liked them all top 1 royal t 2 rushmore 3 Moonrise 4 life aquatic 5 Bottle rocket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom