More grab and go concessions on the horizon? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

More grab and go concessions on the horizon?

To be fair, the only way I can enjoy a hot dog is grilled to perfection in someone’s back yard. As a rule I find them disgusting. So a steamed one in a drawer doesn’t do anything for me.
maybe the best hot dog i ever had was the steamed ones at the old Boston Garden. First thing I do when I go to a new venue is find the hot dogs.

I have been there for NCAA hoops games involving SU.

It opened in 1996. Pretty good design. Newer ones blow it away but it is more open than the dome and has more amenities.

I think escalators are coming to the dome in a couple of years. Hope they blow out some walls and create a food court too but it sounds like the announced extension is going to be more of an event center than a food court. If we ever get something like this, it is probably at least 5-10 years away.

I remember the Buffalo arena had fried bologna and beef on weck sandwiches too on the menu. Good examples of adding some local dishes to the drab generic stuff every arena sells.

I lived in Buffalo when their arena opened, remember thinking it was top notch. Went back two years ago for a hockey game and was shocked at how far behind more modern arenas it was. Was a first-hand experience in realizing that the in-stadium experience is legitimately getting better over time.

OTOH, Prudential Center in Newark used to have local food options that were awesome. My kids are finally old enough to go to games so I got tickets to Devils games for the first time in five years - either they moved those options, I can’t actually remember where they were, or they were eliminated in a shift to grab-and-go. We had to settle for dry chicken tenders, cold burgers, and soggy fries as the meal options at games this year. The quality decrease meant the time savings did not feel like an improved experience.

I lived in Buffalo when their arena opened, remember thinking it was top notch. Went back two years ago for a hockey game and was shocked at how far behind more modern arenas it was. Was a first-hand experience in realizing that the in-stadium experience is legitimately getting better over time.

OTOH, Prudential Center in Newark used to have local food options that were awesome. My kids are finally old enough to go to games so I got tickets to Devils games for the first time in five years - either they moved those options, I can’t actually remember where they were, or they were eliminated in a shift to grab-and-go. We had to settle for dry chicken tenders, cold burgers, and soggy fries as the meal options at games this year. The quality decrease meant the time savings did not feel like an improved experience.
Looks like you might have missed some options at the Devils game. Awesome variety available, at least compared to spartan Syracuse.

Buffalo also appears to have vastly more variety available to fans.

I love the dome but it has to have the most limited food options of any major arena in the Northeast, and likely the entire country. This is unacceptable and must be addressed.

I thought the set up in Buffalo was great.

The deal with most of these places is the lack of easy access to where the hidden venue gems are, if they dont have multiple ones around the place. Almost like if some day we have apps that run on our phones and you have wifi in the building you could have people type in the food option from a list and it would tell where it is available..

Most people come into the dome in the same general gate area and know how to get to their seats and generally dont wonder around on multiple levels as its such a pain in the dome.. When I go to a new venue i try to leave time to go around the place and see the different site lines in case I ever come back and then you sometimes find a special spot selling for or clothing or a museum..

The deal with most of these places is the lack of easy access to where the hidden venue gems are, if they dont have multiple ones around the place. Almost like if some day we have apps that run on our phones and you have wifi in the building you could have people type in the food option from a list and it would tell where it is available..

Most people come into the dome in the same general gate area and know how to get to their seats and generally dont wonder around on multiple levels as its such a pain in the dome.. When I go to a new venue i try to leave time to go around the place and see the different site lines in case I ever come back and then you sometimes find a special spot selling for or clothing or a museum..

There are no hidden gem food items in the dome

All of the food is the same exact stuff that is in the dining halls…..

The food NEEDs to be upgraded. We have some of the worst concessions in all of the ACC and that is a fact and I’m not just saying that

There are no hidden gem food items in the dome

All of the food is the same exact stuff that is in the dining halls…..

The food NEEDs to be upgraded. We have some of the worst concessions in all of the ACC and that is a fact and I’m not just saying that
Tully's getting in to do tenders and fries would be incredible.

They have a couple food trucks on the quad.. Wouldnt it be interesting if they worked with those types of vendors and had a booth or 2 in the dome that rotated with vendors and every week you have a different one take over the area show casing what they can do?

WIn Win. Variety for the fans and a way for the vendor to showcase and build support for their truck at other events. You could get food truck people from all over CNY to come in

mac n cheese
tacos
poutine
soups
sliders
donuts

imagine it

They have a couple food trucks on the quad.. Wouldnt it be interesting if they worked with those types of vendors and had a booth or 2 in the dome that rotated with vendors and every week you have a different one take over the area show casing what they can do?

WIn Win. Variety for the fans and a way for the vendor to showcase and build support for their truck at other events. You could get food truck people from all over CNY to come in

mac n cheese
tacos
poutine
soups
sliders
donuts

imagine it

100% that would be awesome

mac n cheese
tacos
poutine
soups
sliders
donuts

imagine it
Varmint Poutang?
087272D8-C208-44E8-99FF-5F82C3EAFE62.gif

Thought I would put this here as it is where the new tech is going and we should have the bandwidth to handle it. This says nothing for the food quality, but the speed alone will help decongest the concourses. Unfortunately this does not likely sit well with the anti-electronic ticket crowd.

I think this is what you were referring to in the OP FreakTalksAboutSU

Last edited:
Thought I would put this here as it is where the new tech is going and we should have the bandwidth to handle it. This says nothing for the food quality, but the speed alone will help decongest the concourses. Unfortunately this does not likely sit well with the anti-electronic ticket crowd.

I think this is what you were referring to in the OP FreakTalksAboutSU

Yes. This is exactly what I was talking about. You order on an app. Then go collect your food. And my understanding is, you PAY via the app. The credit card swipe at entry is just to confirm only people with actual orders pending can get to the food.

It's a great technology and would do well in the Dome, especially if JMA is able to up the tech in the building.

Grab and go only works if the food is consistently fresh and the software works. I was Madison Square Garden recently at they had the fresh food out like clockwork with explicit rules stating if you touch, you buy. However, the register had issues with certain items. A sweet tea that I purchased rang up different prices and items to the point that they had to manually override.

Grab and go only works if the food is consistently fresh and the software works. I was Madison Square Garden recently at they had the fresh food out like clockwork with explicit rules stating if you touch, you buy. However, the register had issues with certain items. A sweet tea that I purchased rang up different prices and items to the point that they had to manually override.

I don't like the idea of food prepped and sitting on shelves for who knows how long.

I am speaking specifically about...fan orders from seat...message sent to kitchen...it is prepped in real time...it is placed in an assigned pickup spot...alert sent to fan...who then goes to pick it up.

you cant even get fresh food out of most fast food places if you want your food quick.. I dont think we can expect the Dome to be any better than that.
It doesnt necessarily need to be "quick". It can take 5...10 min. Point is, you get a push notification when its done whenever that may be, then you go get it

maybe the best hot dog i ever had was the steamed ones at the old Boston Garden. First thing I do when I go to a new venue is find the hot dogs.

Might just be nostalgia talking, but I honestly think the best ballpark dog I ever had was the original Dome Dogs, Tobin's First Prize, before SU switched to Hofmann in the late '90s.

Might just be nostalgia talking, but I honestly think the best ballpark dog I ever had was the original Dome Dogs, Tobin's First Prize, before SU switched to Hofmann in the late '90s.
I like hoffmans at home..

I dont think there are the best option for a place like the dome. They are a tougher skin that many dont like.. I also think they dont store well once cooked which is why often they are a tough eat if not really freshly cooked.

Its also why lightly grilled/steamed is probably a better choice for bulk sale like a game.

It doesnt necessarily need to be "quick". It can take 5...10 min. Point is, you get a push notification when its done whenever that may be, then you go get it
I can’t get past expecting someone to steal my food before I pick it up, in those situations.

Blast from the past. Forgot about Tobin's First Prize. Was my favorite when I was a kid.