More info coming about the UNC class system scandal. Former player | Syracusefan.com

More info coming about the UNC class system scandal. Former player

Deano

All American
Rashad McCants said that tutors wrote his term papers, he rarely went to class for about half his time at UNC, and he remained able to play largely because he took bogus classes designed to keep athletes academically eligible.

He said head basketball coach Roy Williams knew about the "paper-class" system at UNC. The so-called paper classes didn't require students to go to class; rather, students were required to submit only one term paper to receive a grade.

You got to check out the rest of the article. If Roy-boy is gulity he should be dismissed.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ll-star-rashad-mccants-says-took-sham-classes

I Remember when the UNC fans were posting here trying to discredit Mary Willingham

I Remember when the UNC fans were posting here trying to discredit Mary Willingham
Love to hear what they have to say now.

Rashad McCants said that tutors wrote his term papers, he rarely went to class for about half his time at UNC, and he remained able to play largely because he took bogus classes designed to keep athletes academically eligible.

He said head basketball coach Roy Williams knew about the "paper-class" system at UNC. The so-called paper classes didn't require students to go to class; rather, students were required to submit only one term paper to receive a grade.

You got to check out the rest of the article. If Roy-boy is gulity he should be dismissed.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ll-star-rashad-mccants-says-took-sham-classes
WOW looks like UNC may have real problems, and may end up with some sanctions.

This could be more than sanctions. Forfeiting wins, titles etc could be game now. What a mess they have there.. wow.

Mary Willingham-"It was the adults who failed the athletes."

WOW looks like UNC may have real problems, and may end up with some sanctions.

What's new? This stuff has been out for a while, just another person confirming it. The NCAA has looked into it and said its a school issue, not a NCAA issue.

What's new? This stuff has been out for a while, just another person confirming it. The NCAA has looked into it and said its a school issue, not a NCAA issue.

McCants alleges that Roy and the basketball program, which has so far avoided most of the scrutiny, knew about the sham classes. However, I've heard McCants blames Roy and UNC for his failure to stick around in the NBA, so he may have an agenda here. Though I question the credibility of the source, his story falls in line with what we already know. It just further implicates the basketball program.

If you take a look at the NC chat board, you'll see that the posters are getting pretty nervous about these accusations. It's a little more than what has already hit the media in the past.

Mccants public testimony has been out? How is it just a UNC issue if potentially ineligible players were competing? Tutors doing papers for players just a school issue? If thats the case then the double standards with blue bloods vs not is worse than it already appears.

If Roses SAT can get Memphis final four vacated its going to look bad if notHing comes our of this.

If you take a look at the NC chat board, you'll see that the posters are getting pretty nervous about these accusations. It's a little more than what has already hit the media in the past.

I just looked at their Scout board.

"{He is like a crazy ex who feels he was wronged in some way and will do whatever he can to bring UNC down."

"Truly unfortunate what this guy has done to his career/life and plans to do to the UNC basketball program."

"How will this be different/worse than what the football interviews? More bad press, but why assume more than that?"

"Seems to me it's just a way to get himself some much desired attention."

"This is truly heartbreaking, and 99% of the general public will take this at face value without knowing the facts."

"Rashad's craziness and issues with UNC won't matter to anyone unfamiliar with his history who reads his story. He can't simply be dismissed as a loon out for money. He has to be dismantled, and in an indisputable way."

I just looked at their Scout board.

"{He is like a crazy ex who feels he was wronged in some way and will do whatever he can to bring UNC down."

"Truly unfortunate what this guy has done to his career/life and plans to do to the UNC basketball program."

"How will this be different/worse than what the football interviews? More bad press, but why assume more than that?"

"Seems to me it's just a way to get himself some much desired attention."

"This is truly heartbreaking, and 99% of the general public will take this at face value without knowing the facts."

"Rashad's craziness and issues with UNC won't matter to anyone unfamiliar with his history who reads his story. He can't simply be dismissed as a loon out for money. He has to be dismantled, and in an indisputable way."

"All that money to Rudy Gays AAU coach was to benefit Baltimore parks and rec"

"Suspending Marcus Williams for only the non com schedule is a reasonable punishment for stealing laptops."

"We were banned from the tournament because the NCAA hates us."

"Kemba Walker had myriad challenges in his life that prevented him from luxuries such as learning to read."

Love to hear what they have to say now.

Ok, here goes:

We can look back at his 2004 season in which he was interviewed and likened UNC to a prison because he had to go to class and study hall. And then you can take into account the 2005 statement when he left UNC and stated it is great to be free from UNC because you had to go to class. If you don't like those statements contrary to what he is saying now, take into account him and his dad blaming UNC for not being in the NBA. And, the fact that he is now writing a book. Yeah, he is a real credible source, just like ol Mary, the so called whistle blower.

Ok, here goes:

We can look back at his 2004 season in which he was interviewed and likened UNC to a prison because he had to go to class and study hall. And then you can take into account the 2005 statement when he left UNC and stated it is great to be free from UNC because you had to go to class. If you don't like those statements contrary to what he is saying now, take into account him and his dad blaming UNC for not being in the NBA. And, the fact that he is now writing a book. Yeah, he is a real credible source, just like ol Mary, the so called whistle blower.

These are not the droids you are looking for. Move on.

whatever man, you guys wondered if a Tar Heel fan, alum would address you and back with a snarky response. Man, how soon one forgets. seem to recall baseless claims surrounding SU when the PSU scandal was full tilt. Wonder how that worked out?

This is a relatively big deal but I really hope Penn State fans aren't whining about lack of action by the NCAA. Look at the Wonderlic scores that come out every year, this happens all over the NCAA.

Ok, here goes:

So wait, hold on a minute. I don't doubt that McCants might feel bitter that he's not the next michael jordan and disillusioned with UNC for whatever reason. I don't doubt that he could be out to get them.

But if we're talking about credibility, which scenario sounds more credible:

1) UNC had a slew of fake courses for athletes to take but the coaches weren't really aware of the problem and it's all been fixed and now these kids are model students.

2) UNC had a slew of fake courses for athletes and the guy running the hoops program (a guy, who by virtue of being the UNC hoops coach, has more power than God in North Carolina) not only knew but sanctioned the actions.

And UNC had issues after Butch Davis on the football side too, right? Listen, I personally don't care about this stuff b/c if UNC is guilty of essentially having developed a fake curriculum for athletes, it would only make them a little worse than basically every other big time athletic university (or perhaps smarter than most, realistically). But ultimately it's hard for an outsider to believe this wasn't every bit as gross an academic fraud as is being reported.

whatever man, you guys wondered if a Tar Heel fan, alum would address you and back with a snarky response. Man, how soon one forgets. seem to recall baseless claims surrounding SU when the PSU scandal was full tilt. Wonder how that worked out?

I think "baseless" is the key word here.

I covered this in my other post, but what's baseless. Again, I don't really care one way or the other but the sham courses are a fact, right? And we all know, as a general rule, that big-time programs (SU included) tend to care 108% about basketball and -8% about everyting else in the world. Those would be two pretty damning circumstances surrounding the claims, right?

eventually where there is smoke, there is fire.

I also refuse to believe that Roy Williams had no clue his athletes (who essentially has the job of making sure his team is elgible to participate) had no idea these sham classes were in existence.

That said if Mccants thought not going to class and letting his tutors do his work was prison thats hilarious.

Do I believe Mccants has an agenda? Damn right I do. Otherwise why else come out with this now?

But UNC and Roy Williams has every bit of an agenda to try and keep this from getting out,

If Roses SAT can get Memphis final four vacated its going to look bad if notHing comes our of this.
Derrick Rose allegedly cheating on his SAT will always be seen as worse than a decade plus of institutionalized academic fraud at UNC. That's the way the media has set it up. UNC are the good guys and this story would be universally ignored by everyone who isn't a NC State fan without the mountain of evidence that keeps trickling out. Look at the outrage at Calipari. If you mention Roy Williams not one eyebrow is raised.

It's like if Tim Duncan had left the game with cramps, it likely wouldn't even be a story. LeBron does it and it breaks the internet and twitter. UNC is a blueblood program but no one wants to see them go down because of the status the media gave them.