More info coming about the UNC class system scandal. Former player | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

More info coming about the UNC class system scandal. Former player

Rashad McCants said that tutors wrote his term papers, he rarely went to class for about half his time at UNC, and he remained able to play largely because he took bogus classes designed to keep athletes academically eligible.

He said head basketball coach Roy Williams knew about the "paper-class" system at UNC. The so-called paper classes didn't require students to go to class; rather, students were required to submit only one term paper to receive a grade.

You got to check out the rest of the article. If Roy-boy is gulity he should be dismissed.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ll-star-rashad-mccants-says-took-sham-classes

You only get out of college what you put into it. This kind of lack of respect for academics flies in the face of what it means to be a college athlete. It's kind of like someone in the military not taking regulations seriously. Yeah, they get the job done but there's no honor.

You only get out of college what you put into it. This kind of lack of respect for academics flies in the face of what it means to be a college athlete. It's kind of like someone in the military not taking regulations seriously. Yeah, they get the job done but there's no honor.

I'm not disagreeing with most of your point here but I would say most big-time athletes could not care less about the 'student' part of student-athlete. That definition is a thing of the past replaced by athletes who are almost exclusively students of athletics.

I'm not disagreeing with most of your point here but I would say most big-time athletes could not care less about the 'student' part of student-athlete. That definition is a thing of the past replaced by athletes who are almost exclusively students of athletics.

Do you think UNC basketball players should receive an A grade for a "paper" having just three sentence. I think there should be some level of academic standards that need to be met. Otherwise, just make the players employees of the University and get rid of the "scholarship" system. I agree with your students of athletics part. Why keep pretending?

I was unsure about it before but this interview cinches it for me. All during it, he gets 6 inches from saying he is accountable, then runs away from the precipice @200 mph.

Did you ever see this gem:
The guy rants and raves saying the 2-3 zone defense should be illegal. It's very funny!

Do you think UNC basketball players should receive an A grade for a "paper" having just three sentence. I think there should be some level of academic standards that need to be met. Otherwise, just make the players employees of the University and get rid of the "scholarship" system. I agree with your students of athletics part. Why keep pretending?

That never happened, so it is irrelevant.

I Remember when the UNC fans were posting here trying to discredit Mary Willingham

I remember when Mary Willingham used to have credibility. There is a reason why she is now jobless and why she was scheduled to testify before a Congressional panel on college athletics in DC, but was quickly uninvited. That woman has as much credibility as Crystal Magnum, the Duke lacrosse accuser, does.

Basically, it is McCants versus Roy Williams, and every player that has ever played for Roy Williams, at KU or at UNC. No one has come to McCants' defense, but plenty of people have come to Roy's. Heck, even former NC State and Duke players are saying that McCants is full of it. That doesn't happen very often. McCant's has always been a head case; as one ESPN columnist said a couple of days ago, if he had to list 100 people who he thinks would make something like this up, McCants would be number one on his list.

Basically, it is McCants versus Roy Williams, and every player that has ever played for Roy Williams, at KU or at UNC. No one has come to McCants' defense, but plenty of people have come to Roy's. Heck, even former NC State and Duke players are saying that McCants is full of it. That doesn't happen very often. McCant's has always been a head case; as one ESPN columnist said a couple of days ago, if he had to list 100 people who he thinks would make something like this up, McCants would be number one on his list.
It happened when Jose Canseco dimed everybody out for using steroids. Sorry but his transcript backs up what he says, and backs up Willinghams allegations. So does Michael McCadoo's allegations and transcript, same for Deunta Williams, Bryon Bishop and the leaked Julius Peppers transcript. Oh and then there's the fact that UNC admitted to fake classes in the AFAM department, the revelation that 5 guys that backed up Roy in that letter took almost 40 fake classes in 2005. 9 guys from the 2005 team were AFAM majors. Sorry dude, but there's way too much evidence to try to discredit accusers at this point. UNC's chickens are coming home to roost.

It happened when Jose Canseco dimed everybody out for using steroids. Sorry but his transcript backs up what he says, and backs up Willinghams allegations. So does Michael McCadoo's allegations and transcript, same for Deunta Williams, Bryon Bishop and the leaked Julius Peppers transcript. Oh and then there's the fact that UNC admitted to fake classes in the AFAM department, the revelation that 5 guys that backed up Roy in that letter took almost 40 fake classes in 2005. 9 guys from the 2005 team were AFAM majors. Sorry dude, but there's way too much evidence to try to discredit accusers at this point. UNC's chickens are coming home to roost.

There have been 9 investigations into UNC, and not one has uncovered any "fake" classes. I suppose you are referring to the classes that were listed as lecture classes but were instead taught as independent studies courses? Those classes were troubling, but they did exist, did require work, and were not "fake".

McCant's transcript doesn't back up a thing. He took AFAM courses, because he majored in AFAM. The semester where he earned straight A's that everyone is focusing on is irrelevant, because that semester had no impact on his eligibility. By the time those grades came out, McCant's had already declared for the NBA and was gone. It is naive and quite honestly a bit racist to think that every single AFAM class is without merit, when 9 investigations have determined that is not the case.

Reactions: CIL
Actually the transcript says a lot...maybe it's more about the AFAM department, but someone at UNC should have noticed something like this..

A copy of McCants' university transcript, labeled "unofficial" and obtained by "Outside the Lines," shows that in his non-African-American Studies classes, McCants received six C's, one D and three F's. In his African-American Studies classes, 10 of his grades were A's, six B's, one a C and one a D.

So McCants was a 1.8-1.9 student except in AFAM where he was Dean's List? That doesn't add up...

There have been 9 investigations into UNC, and not one has uncovered any "fake" classes. I suppose you are referring to the classes that were listed as lecture classes but were instead taught as independent studies courses? Those classes were troubling, but they did exist, did require work, and were not "fake".

McCant's transcript doesn't back up a thing. He took AFAM courses, because he majored in AFAM. The semester where he earned straight A's that everyone is focusing on is irrelevant, because that semester had no impact on his eligibility. By the time those grades came out, McCant's had already declared for the NBA and was gone. It is naive and quite honestly a bit racist to think that every single AFAM class is without merit, when 9 investigations have determined that is not the case.

I'm talking about the lecture classes that didn't meet, had no instruction, and no instructor because the listed instructor's name was forged and they knew nothing about the "class". You can call it independent studies if you want, the rest of the world calls that a fake class. The fake classes were chock full of athletes. We're not that dumb, it's obvious what was going on.

Tar Heel fans, UNC has always been a media darling and gotten good press. People don't want to see them go down like the would other programs that don't get good press. People really don't care that much after the initial shock wears off. You guys should lay low and let this pass over instead of making ridiculous excuses that annoy people and gives them reasons to dislike you.

I'm talking about the lecture classes that didn't meet, had no instruction, and no instructor because the listed instructor's name was forged and they knew nothing about the "class". You can call it independent studies if you want, the rest of the world calls that a fake class. The fake classes were chock full of athletes. We're not that dumb, it's obvious what was going on.

Well, the only thing that matters is what the NCAA calls it-"Not a violation."

You should read the Martin Report...it goes into great detail about these independent studies courses.

Tar Heel fans, UNC has always been a media darling and gotten good press. People don't want to see them go down like the would other programs that don't get good press. People really don't care that much after the initial shock wears off. You guys should lay low and let this pass over instead of making ridiculous excuses that annoy people and gives them reasons to dislike you.

That is the approach that UNC's administration has taken for the past five years. It has gotten to the point where enough is enough. Time to start fighting back.

Don't get your hopes up...the NCAA has already said (twice now) that they don't consider these courses to be NCAA violations.
Must be the same folks who say there is nothing illegal going on at Kentucky.

The semester where he earned straight A's that everyone is focusing on is irrelevant, because that semester had no impact on his eligibility.

But, not irrelevant to the APR calculation that Roy and his employees had their bonuses tied to.

If you take a look at the NC chat board, you'll see that the posters are getting pretty nervous about these accusations. It's a little more than what has already hit the media in the past.

Good thing we never get like that around here ...

:rolleyes:

So basically it's just trashing the character if anyone who makes allegations. Because god knows We have to protect the CAROLINA WAY at all costs.

So basically it's just trashing the character if anyone who makes allegations. Because god knows We have to protect the CAROLINA WAY at all costs.

I simply loathe North Carolina, but there's no ignoring the fact that McCants is an unreliable flake, and his statements should be taken with an appropriate amount of salt. If UNC is to be sanctioned for something, I'd much prefer it to be a.) for legitimate reasons, and b.) for doing something no one else is doing. Be that as it may college basketball - and probably college sports in general - would never be the same. For once that genie is out of its bottle, there's no telling who's next on its list, nor how long the list is. I think I'd be okay with it provided all the offenders were dealt with, not just selectively high profile targets or easy low-hanging fruit.

Don't get your hopes up...the NCAA has already said (twice now) that they don't consider these courses to be NCAA violations.

I think that's a pretty good indication the NCAA knows these courses are effectively a sham, but also that since everyone's doing it, it's not "unfair." Thus, whether it's ethical is of less interest to them.