More info coming about the UNC class system scandal. Former player | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

More info coming about the UNC class system scandal. Former player

I think that's a pretty good indication the NCAA knows these courses are effectively a sham, but also that since everyone's doing it, it's not "unfair." Thus, whether it's ethical is of less interest to them.
What evidence is there that suggests that everyone is doing it?

What evidence is there that suggests that everyone is doing it?

Call it an educated guess if you like, just seen the tap dance done a few times. I've been around a while, and I don't need to actually see the snow fall to know where it came from.

I remember as a Ph.D candidate in another department, I was asked to serve on a student committee that reviewed a professor in the Speech Communications program. Sorry if I offend anyone but I observed one of his classes that had a lot of jocks in it. It was glorified "show and tell". I didn't come away too impressed with the difficulty of that course. These kinds of classes/programs are probably pretty common at a lot of big schools.

Lot's of schools bend the rules and some of push it a bit too far for Athletes. It's been that way since the beginning and if this is true I'm sure NC isn't the first and will not be the last. Most players are quiet about things like this and once the secret is out, the messenger is always the bad guy and others don't say anything because they know full well it doesn't reflect well on them or the school in which they went.

I had a class in the mid 70's..there were a number of basketball and football players in it. I sat in for one week. The teacher had such a thick (foreign) accent I could not understand anything he was saying. Believe me when I say he was unintelligible, I dropped the class.

If lecturing and being able to understand the content of the teacher's lecture was of any significance as far as getting a decent grade or understanding the content of the course was concerned, there was no way anyone in that class could have passed...but I'm sure most if not all got decent grades. I came away thinking it was a sham.

Student athlete in many cases (in major college sports) is an obvious joke.

I simply loathe North Carolina, but there's no ignoring the fact that McCants is an unreliable flake, and his statements should be taken with an appropriate amount of salt. If UNC is to be sanctioned for something, I'd much prefer it to be a.) for legitimate reasons, and b.) for doing something no one else is doing. Be that as it may college basketball - and probably college sports in general - would never be the same. For once that genie is out of its bottle, there's no telling who's next on its list, nor how long the list is. I think I'd be okay with it provided all the offenders were dealt with, not just selectively high profile targets or easy low-hanging fruit.
I loathe NC too, and the only thing that keeps me quiet on this is, this crap is going on all over. I'm sure there are teams I like doing this. UNC this month , someone else next month. On and on. This is what happens when Educational Institutions get into the Mass Entertainment Business, and has need to create an education farce to make it look palatable. After the shocks waves of Northwestern and O'Bannon settle , we won't recognize College Sports. This issue won't seem as important.

So McCants was on OTL today, I guess, and dropped some more truth bombs.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ks-his-former-teammates-show-your-transcripts

McCants really hurt his credibility today. Said he cares about reform, called out Coach Williams, and then refused to name players who he claims "cheated" with him, refused to name tutor, and implied that he would refuse to meet with Wanstein, the man doing the investigation right now. I guess he won't meet with Wanstein because Wanstein isn't paying him?

FWIW, folks connected to the basketball side are saying that McCants has been asking his former teammates for money lately. He is flat broke, apparently. Wouldn't be surprised if he is doing this all for money, and to satisfy a long-standing grudge he has had against Roy Williams.

McCants really hurt his credibility today. Said he cares about reform, called out Coach Williams, and then refused to name players who he claims "cheated" with him, refused to name tutor, and implied that he would refuse to meet with Wanstein, the man doing the investigation right now. I guess he won't meet with Wanstein because Wanstein isn't paying him?

FWIW, folks connected to the basketball side are saying that McCants has been asking his former teammates for money lately. He is flat broke, apparently. Wouldn't be surprised if he is doing this all for money, and to satisfy a long-standing grudge he has had against Roy Williams.
Not gonna lie, as much as I'd love to see UNC get clowned for this you'd think Syracuse fans out of anyone would be hesitant about some "throw against the wall, see if it sticks" OTL reporting.

Not gonna lie, as much as I'd love to see UNC get clowned for this you'd think Syracuse fans out of anyone would be hesitant about some "throw against the wall, see if it sticks" OTL reporting.

You would think the media in North Carolina would be hesitant to do this as well, given what happened a few years ago during the Duke lacrosse debacle.

At the end of the day people are going to believe what they want to believe. UNC fans will believe that McCants' is a psychotic liar, NC State fans will believe that UNC is part of a vast conspiracy spanning all levels of government and needs to be razed to the ground, and everyone else will fall somewhere in between those points.

I don't disagree with any of this...other than to say this doesn't prove what he's saying is true or not true.

For example, Jose Canseco wrote his steroid book for money and everyone called him full of ish. Turns out he was right about everyone.

Again, I'm not saying McCants isn't lying, but him being broke doesn't necessarily = him lying, imo.

I don't disagree with any of this...other than to say this doesn't prove what he's saying is true or not true.

For example, Jose Canseco wrote his steroid book for money and everyone called him full of ish. Turns out he was right about everyone.

Again, I'm not saying McCants isn't lying, but him being broke doesn't necessarily = him lying, imo.

Agreed. However, you'd think if he was doing this to "get the truth out", he would meet with the man investigating this alleged misconduct right now. Apparently, McCants does not want to do this...he only wants to talk to the national media. Why not go to Wanstein with his allegations?

Also, he claimed on Friday that he rode in a car with several other basketball players to a tutor's house to get papers written for them. When asked who the players were or who the tutor was, McCants refused to answer, saying it was "irrelevant." He has no problem calling out Roy Williams and Dean Smith, but can't name the players who he is claiming cheated with him?

63912, member: 1242"]He has no problem calling out Roy Williams and Dean Smith, but can't name the players who he is claiming cheated with him?[/quote]

I believe he asked them to show their transcripts and then we'd see who was in the "classes".

At the end of the day people are going to believe what they want to believe.

If they wake up the next day, they will believe the truth -- whether they like it or not. Dreams are like that.

63912, member: 1242"]He has no problem calling out Roy Williams and Dean Smith, but can't name the players who he is claiming cheated with him?

I believe he asked them to show their transcripts and then we'd see who was in the "classes".[/quote]

It isn't up to them to show anything. Innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around. If McCants has an allegation, he should prove it. While he is calling for people to release federally-protected and confidential information, perhaps he could release his medical and psychological records so that people can verify that he isn't bat-**** insane? And his financial records to verify that he isn't being paid to come up with this stuff?

It happened when Jose Canseco dimed everybody out for using steroids. Sorry but his transcript backs up what he says, and backs up Willinghams allegations. So does Michael McCadoo's allegations and transcript, same for Deunta Williams, Bryon Bishop and the leaked Julius Peppers transcript. Oh and then there's the fact that UNC admitted to fake classes in the AFAM department, the revelation that 5 guys that backed up Roy in that letter took almost 40 fake classes in 2005. 9 guys from the 2005 team were AFAM majors. Sorry dude, but there's way too much evidence to try to discredit accusers at this point. UNC's chickens are coming home to roost.

Oops sorry. I jacked your Canseco point. Didn't read your post.

It isn't up to them to show anything. Innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around. If McCants has an allegation, he should prove it. While he is calling for people to release federally-protected and confidential information, perhaps he could release his medical and psychological records so that people can verify that he isn't bat-**** insane? And his financial records to verify that he isn't being paid to come up with this stuff?

Come on. If you wanna be credible, you can't say stuff like this.

I understand your points and, again, I'm not saying McCants isn't doing this for money or that he's insane.

But we saw the report on 60 Min Sports, we've seen the allegations w/ Peppers.

This isn't a lone crazy person.

Come on. If you wanna be credible, you can't say stuff like this.

I understand your points and, again, I'm not saying McCants isn't doing this for money or that he's insane.

But we saw the report on 60 Min Sports, we've seen the allegations w/ Peppers.

This isn't a lone crazy person.

The Peppers allegations are baseless. You have a group of people who believe that every single AFAM class that ever existed at UNC was without merit. They saw that Peppers took a lot of AFAM courses (which is natural, because AFAM was his major) and instantly concluded that, despite 9 investigations arguing to the contrary, every AFAM course that Peppers ever took must have been fake. That couldn't be further from the truth, as multiple investigations have shown.

The Peppers allegations are baseless. You have a group of people who believe that every single AFAM class that ever existed at UNC was without merit. They saw that Peppers took a lot of AFAM courses (which is natural, because AFAM was his major) and instantly concluded that, despite 9 investigations arguing to the contrary, every AFAM course that Peppers ever took must have been fake. That couldn't be further from the truth, as multiple investigations have shown.
You're having a rough go at it right now.

Didn't Peppers have something close to a 1.9 GPA over the course of his time at the college? I don't know the exact policies/rules, but how does that even keep you eligible to play football and keep your scholarship? I always had the 2.0 number in my mind for NCAA athletes.

Not only was his GPA terrible, but he was also enrolled in the AFAM courses...

You're having a rough go at it right now.

Didn't Peppers have something close to a 1.9 GPA over the course of his time at the college? I don't know the exact policies/rules, but how does that even keep you eligible to play football and keep your scholarship? I always had the 2.0 number in my mind for NCAA athletes.

Not only was his GPA terrible, but he was also enrolled in the AFAM courses...

I don't know what the number was back when Peppers was in college. That was well before I started paying serious attention to these things.

And nothing wrong with AFAM courses. His major was AFAM...why would he not take courses in the subject he was majoring in?

I believe he asked them to show their transcripts and then we'd see who was in the "classes".

It isn't up to them to show anything. Innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around. [/quote]

That's absurd. No one asked "them" (none of whom McCants named) to prove anything. "They" are the ones claiming academic credentials. It's "their" (alleged) transcripts that helped getting Storz to sit one out. Really, more than anyone else, it's UConn that should be bezerko over all this.

It isn't up to them to show anything. Innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.

That's absurd. No one asked "them" (none of whom McCants named) to prove anything. "They" are the ones claiming academic credentials. It's "their" (alleged) transcripts that helped getting Storz to sit one out. Really, more than anyone else, it's UConn that should be bezerko over all this.[/quote]

They have academic credentials. McCants is challenging their credentials and is trying to drag them into a mess that he created. He isn't worthy of a response by them. This is his fight, not theirs. If he wants to make allegations, perhaps he should reevaluate his decision not to speak with the man investigating UNC right now?

I don't know what the number was back when Peppers was in college. That was well before I started paying serious attention to these things.

And nothing wrong with AFAM courses. His major was AFAM...why would he not take courses in the subject he was majoring in?
All of the screenshots of his transcript are here: http://thebiglead.com/2012/08/13/un...ege-transcript-is-online-for-everyone-to-see/

His GPA was horrible throughout his whole time at UNC. I have no idea how he was made eligible to play. That literally is a shame.

The AFAM courses are the ones that are being called into question, that's the main thing. If the major was legit (and I know all schools have suggested athlete programs), then that is fine. Another huge red flag is that his grades are abnormally lumped in the favor of his major. He gets a lot of B/C grades in AFRI and AFAM courses, but almost every other course he struggles with.

This transcript is literally a mess.

Also, why in the world would they no longer offer courses that were completely legit? Aren't the "paper courses" no longer offered?

Last edited:
All of the screenshots of his transcript are here: http://thebiglead.com/2012/08/13/un...ege-transcript-is-online-for-everyone-to-see/

His GPA was horrible throughout his whole time at UNC. I have no idea how he was made eligible to play. That literally is a shame.

The AFAM courses are the ones that are being called into question, that's the main thing. If the major was legit (and I know all schools have suggested athlete programs), then that is fine. Another huge red flag is that his grades are abnormally lumped in the favor of his major. He gets a lot of B/C grades in AFRI and AFAM courses, but almost every other course he struggles with.

This transcript is literally a mess.

The NCAA had access to his transcript when it was released two years ago, and they didn't have a problem with it. They are the ones who determine eligibility, so I will have to defer to their judgement here.

I'd be curious to see other transcripts released...not just from UNC, but from every D1 school. I think you would find many similar ones out there. Perhaps another reason why the NCAA doesn't want to touch this.