More terrible coaching | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

More terrible coaching

It varies for different posters, but I think it boils down to rationalization, blind faith, and fear of change -- or some combination thereof.

For some, expectations have also shifted to where a 12, 13, or 14+ loss season is "acceptable" so long as we make a sweet 16, which then offsets the generally subpar rest of the season in their view.

The bottom line is that the slippage is palpable, and it represents a steady decline. And in order to reverse that decline, we're going to need a fresh approach, and an infusion of new ideas / energy.

Though I agree the decline is not new, this is the first year I've felt strongly that it's time to change things. There are two main reasons for the hesitation before this. First, for a while, that '09-14 run was not that long in the past. Now, suddenly, it's eight years ago. And there was a period there where I think it was reasonable to think the recruiting problems were driven by the NCAA problems; at this point, I don't think that is plausible any more.

Second, the flip side of moving on is that it comes with an awful lot of risk, and I think people tend to underestimate how long it can take to recover. Five years after Dean Smith retired, UNC was on their second coach and went 8-20. And the cupboard was a lot less bare at UNC. Five years after John Thompson left Georgetown, Georgetown went 13-15. Even look at Arizona, which found a strong replacement relatively quickly in Sean Miller, had three coaches in three years after Lute Olson.

Additionally, even the home-run hire is not going to replicate the literally unprecedented consistency Boeheim put together for the first 40-odd years of his career.

Though I agree the decline is not new, this is the first year I've felt strongly that it's time to change things. There are two main reasons for the hesitation before this. First, for a while, that '09-14 run was not that long in the past. Now, suddenly, it's eight years ago. And there was a period there where I think it was reasonable to think the recruiting problems were driven by the NCAA problems; at this point, I don't think that is plausible any more.
I am more bewildered than anything else.

I also thought that the NCAA problems were the reason for the recruiting fall-off and that, once they were over, we would be back to recruiting at our historical norms.

I also don't understand the sudden change from recruiting for the zone to the way this year's roster was constructed. This one is particularly challenging for me to understand, especially since there has been (or seems to have been)a relentless focus on having really good defensive teams. I just cannot imagine how anyone though this would be a good defensive team. The lack of speed and athleticism is startling.

Second, the flip side of moving on is that it comes with an awful lot of risk, and I think people tend to underestimate how long it can take to recover. Five years after Dean Smith retired, UNC was on their second coach and went 8-20. And the cupboard was a lot less bare at UNC. Five years after John Thompson left Georgetown, Georgetown went 13-15. Even look at Arizona, which found a strong replacement relatively quickly in Sean Miller, had three coaches in three years after Lute Olson.
Yes, this scares the heck out of me. You could argue that Georgetown made the wrong hire and has never recovered. Hiring coaches is such a crap shoot.
Additionally, even the home-run hire is not going to replicate the literally unprecedented consistency Boeheim put together for the first 40-odd years of his career.
I agree with this also.

In addition, even if we do make the home run hire, what the odds that that home-run hire turns out to be a lifer or anything more than a pit stop on their way up the chain.

Honest question: what is there to be positive about right now in regards to this b-ball team and program?
Joe playing the two where he belongs, another summer of development for Jesse, and a transfer wing could be a tournament team next year. And Benny is slowly making strides.

That’s all I got though. No positivity in any remotely macro sense and I used to be full of optimism. Best I can do is a not dog chit team next year.

Additionally , even the home-run hire is not going to replicate the literally unprecedented consistency Boeheim put together for the first 40-odd years of his career.
Okay, so this can’t be part of any future search. It would be honestly silly to think this should be a consideration for a second. Boeheim was a unicorn never to be replicated.

I know some last year were saying “just wait, Jimmy will be starting and he’ll be the new Marek playing the 5.”

But after watching him play, I wasn’t really worried about that anymore.

But sure enough, when the chips are down….here we are!

Wait, how is it you all are drawing a conclusion from this response? JB was asked an either or question, and he summoned 721Comstock , and said yes.
I took the answer to mean that it was both situationally specific *and* Frank’s not doing enough. But I’m also the leader of team #BoeheimSaysThings so what do I know?

Guy is near 80.. if you’re blessed to reach 80 .. you think you’re going to listen to anyone or push yourself ?
I mean, I'm less than half JB's age, have had less success in my career than he has, and already feel myself getting more set in my ways. I'm not suggesting that he has some kind of unusual character flaw, I totally get it.

I'm just trying to find a reason to give him the benefit of the doubt to let him turn things around, since I still have a ton of respect for all he's done for the team, and how many great memories he's given us. His attitude is making it really hard though.

If the conclusion is that things have to change, and the coach is basically saying "I will not change," then there's really only one move to make things better. And it sucks, especially since it seems like it's entirely self-inflicted.

A kid we had re-classify, that I believe almost went into the portal... and that's how JB publicly comments on him.

Does he want him to leave? I mean, maybe he does. I dunno.
and it shows he hasnt learned after last years exodus

This is what I mean by he needs to adapt to the times, the portal era

Or just retire at the end of the year

and it shows he hasnt learned after last years exodus

This is what I mean by he needs to adapt to the times, the portal era

Or just retire at the end of the year
WE can always pound the portal to backfill... Its free agency babay!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom