Most egregious non-call I've ever seen... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Most egregious non-call I've ever seen...

Meh. That clip doesnt show the entire play. If the Clemson kid had position, it could just as easily had been over the back. In real time though, I thought Hughes got undercut. Regardless, it would have been a bailout after a terrible possession. Lot's of refs swallow their whistle and just let the kids play in that scenario.

Meh. That clip doesnt show the entire play. If the Clemson kid had position, it could just as easily had been over the back. In real time though, I thought Hughes got undercut. Regardless, it would have been a bailout after a terrible possession. Lot's of refs swallow their whistle and just let the kids play in that scenario.
Over the back on a pass? Interesting

the OSU game. The off season that year, yes, it was a thing. Has timed healed that wound since, perhaps. But it was not just a “fan” thing.
With the way we’ve been treated by the ncaa over the years nothing would surprise me. That game was such horse...still pisses me off. Even more than the Butler game and the phantom backcourt on Jardine against Marquette.

If you watch the replay, it's pretty clear that contact is made when he's shooting/tipping the ball. Either way, before the shot or during the shot - it's a foul
I agree it was a foul, but tough to expect a call like that.

I have the whole clip. As Eli was going up and before he had the ball the guy was pushing back on him. Eli was vertical, the player was not. When he got the ball it became egregious. Either way he was going underneath him the entire play.

I agree it was a foul, but tough to expect a call like that.
I know you were (are?) a ref. At least I think it's you. I'd be interested why you think that particular play it's a tough call to make. I've done a decent amount of HS reffing myself and I see no reason not to make the call there.

I know you were (are?) a ref. At least I think it's you. I'd be interested why you think that particular play it's a tough call to make. I've done a decent amount of HS reffing myself and I see no reason not to make the call there.
Not me, that’s cowtown. Just watch a ton of games.

I’m actually with you in that I think this should have been called, but I never expect that kind of call when we are on the road. Or playing an acc game.

The ironic part of this play is that a kid on my sons high school team does this and gets whistled for it all the time. He and my son compete for playing time, so I watch him intently. I saw this play and it just made me mad about my sons coach, who allows the other kid to make lazy dumb plays like this all the time, but yanks my kid after one mistake. But I digress...

sadly, if hughes held on the ball .3 seconds longer and tumbled over his shoulder a little harder, then maybe its a touch foul. Girard should practice boxing out 3 point shooters in mid shot more.

Not me, that’s cowtown. Just watch a ton of games.

I’m actually with you in that I think this should have been called, but I never expect that kind of call when we are on the road. Or playing an acc game.

The ironic part of this play is that a kid on my sons high school team does this and gets whistled for it all the time. He and my son compete for playing time, so I watch him intently. I saw this play and it just made me mad about my sons coach, who allows the other kid to make lazy dumb plays like this all the time, but yanks my kid after one mistake. But I digress...
The bolded part is just sad. True and sad. Refs who make decisions based on the teams they're reffing and the arenas they're reffing in shouldn't be doing the job. I actually tend to think the other way about it. I just think its Hanlon's Razor in effect. "Never ascribe to malice what can be plainly explained by incompetence."

Last edited:
You don't guard people facing the other direction. Refs knew it was a foul, they just didn't care. He interrupted Hughes release, not just a body foul. It really is hard to find worse than this.

Last edited:
Game pissed me off for a few reasons and it’s a stinging loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom