Most fanatical thing you've done | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Most fanatical thing you've done

In my teenage years I smashed many a video game/tv remote, dinged up walls, etc. Any physical outbursts related to sports-watching these days mostly involve smacking furniture, pillows, etc. However I think it was 3 years ago, SU lost at Providence with a injured roster, I don't recall other specifics about the game. I had to promptly go out and snowblow my driveway after the game, something I had put off to watch the game, and in a bad mood already, was not looking forward to the task at hand for the next hour that I was embarking on at 9:30 on a weeknight. About two minutes in, I broke a shear bolt on the blower, had so much negative energy built up that I blew up and kicked the snowblower as hard as I could. Broke my big toe in the process, somehow managed to finish the job even though that hurt. Now I always wear steel toe boots when snowblowing.

I snapped a car flag off my car after the 1998 SU/TN game so frustrated realizing what a missed opportunity it would be probably never to get that type shot again assuming the rest of that year went well. Could've leaped the football program back to a regular national player and occassional NC contender. Did I mention the dam flag held too well and broke the window as well. The people in the lot looked at me aghast...

In my teenage years I smashed many a video game/tv remote, dinged up walls, etc. Any physical outbursts related to sports-watching these days mostly involve smacking furniture, pillows, etc. However I think it was 3 years ago, SU lost at Providence with a injured roster, I don't recall other specifics about the game. I had to promptly go out and snowblow my driveway after the game, something I had put off to watch the game, and in a bad mood already, was not looking forward to the task at hand for the next hour that I was embarking on at 9:30 on a weeknight. About two minutes in, I broke a shear bolt on the blower, had so much negative energy built up that I blew up and kicked the snowblower as hard as I could. Broke my big toe in the process, somehow managed to finish the job even though that **** hurt. Now I always wear steel toe boots when snowblowing.

That was the game they hung a hundo on us

I snapped a car flag off my car after the 1998 SU/TN game so frustrated realizing what a missed opportunity it would be probably never to get that type shot again assuming the rest of that year went well. Could've leaped the football program back to a regular national player and occassional NC contender. Did I mention the dam flag held too well and broke the window as well. The people in the lot looked at me aghast...
I sprained my ankle after that game as the guy I was sitting with jumped up in the air as high as he could after they made the game winning FG and landed on the bench in the dome (which we were all standing on) and it literally buckled. That caused me to fall forward into fans the row ahead of us and when I came down I woffed my ankle. God that game sucked.

I begged a bartender I was friends with to ask a table of butler fans to leave the bar and offered to pay their tab.

Didn't watch a second of any type of basketball until our first preseason game in 2010. I couldn't take basketball after that Butler game. That still haunts me.

Kicked a small table across my living room for the Louisville game in 07 where we blew that big lead. Left the table in that position for over a month.

Sat in stunned silence with tears in my eyes as my friends left to go out after Vermont. I stayed home alone and laid on the couch with just the tv for light and the sound muted as I blankly stared.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Maybe the most painful football loss I ever experienced.

This was during the NC State football game in '98, but fits well in this thread: I was in my friend's dorm room on the 11th floor of Brewster Hall. At some point during the game I was pissed and threw a fork across the room. My friend's roommate had a bottle of water with highlighter dye in it (apparently it looked cool under the black light). My friend's roommate also had his mattress on the floor for some reason, he had gotten rid of his bed frame. To get to the point the fork hit the bottle just right knocking it over and spilling the dyed water all over the mattress that was on the floor. Subsequently I was not allowed to watch games in the room after that (apparently my friend's roommate did not find it as funny as the rest of us). I have other stories, but would need much more space for them. Maybe it will be my next blog post!

I also couldn't believe that call, especially after getting called twice for the knee pads being above the knee. Amazingly, we got our revenge of sorts the very next week when we went to Michigan and won in front of 105,000 - and it wasn't even close.

I was watching the Butler SU game a few years ago over at a buddies house (he is a SU fan) his roommate was a Duke fan. Anyway as it is finishing up and SU has no hope at winning he keeps trying to shove his bracket in my face saying see I picked Butler I called that upset. I grabbed the bracket out of his hand ripped it up and told him to go F himself. I showed myself out the door that night and have never been invited back to the house since. Guess I had that coming

I have a rule that I will never rub in a tournament loss to my friends. Any other game is fair game and I can take it and enjoy it. But the tournament is final and knowing how much those losses hurt, you can't rub it in.

You'd have been justified in shoving him into a wall.

I can't watch the tournament with non Syracuse fans. It absolutely sucks being around people just watching for fun and that.aren't emotionally invested should the worst happen.

And another funny memory were the consoling texts and Facebook messages I got after Butler. People legitimately asking if I was ok.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Slammed the floor so hard during the 87 championship game that there's a skip on my VCR tape of the game.
That means you must have watched the game again.

I still have my tape but have never viewed it. I guess you're just a better man. :)

2003 national championship game, I was so worked up I went upstairs to my brothers room to watch the game alone. He was a college student at the time majoring in art something or other and had large wooden dowels maybe 5 feet long and six inches thick made of balsa wood.

during the second half (OMG I still get frustrated at this call everytime I think about it) one of the jayhawk players made a move to the rim, it was right when the run was either in make or break mode, and it was either gonna be a tight one or we were going to pull away again. Duany got incredible position and I swear he was set for a few seconds before the out of control players ran into him, textbook charge, and the called it a block (can't remember if it was an and 1 or not)

I took a dowel and literally slammed it into the back of the television and smashed both the back of the tv and the dowel in half.

the t.v still worked fine and was mine anyways so I didn't have to replace anything

that was a damn charge I tell ya!

Just noticed this thread buried back here and figured I'd chirp in... some interesting stories we've got.

The time I most heavily embarrassed myself came after the loss to Oklahoma in the tournament (2009). Was studying abroad in London so a bunch of us went to the most Americanized bar we knew (Sports Cafe FTW). Unfortunately, about half of us were there to watch the game and the other half were there just to have fun and drink (chicks Oh Lord). After getting pretty drunk and watching us lose, I had transformed into a raging lunatic.

And then she did it. The one thing that pisses me off more than anything. Some dumb broad looks at me and say, "Jeez, it's just a game."

That pushed me overboard. Because to real fans, it's not just a game. It's the entire season. It's the ebb and flow of our hopes and dreams. For some, it's the end of their basketball careers. And it's something that only a crappy fan would say. Say what you want, but don't ever tell me that "it's just a game."

Did you slap her?

I'll chime in as well here...when I was younger in my elementary days, whenever we lost Id cry, I admit it.

Then when I was in high school it was the day after we lost to Bama in 04 and I was in my first period art class and I was so mad about the game, and people kept telling me to just drop it and its "just a game" and I got so fustrated I just walked out of the class and walked up and down the hallway and the teacher and a hall monitor kept trying to get me back in the class. And then she tried telling me its just a game and I kept saying no it means more. And then throughout the rest of the I didnt talk to anyone...whenever someone asked me something I didnt answer back. I was furious!

Then I was watching a game with some girl in college and I guess I was yelling to much at the tv and she walked out and left...she said I was to angry/violent.

And the occasional throwing of random items in arms reach...remotes, bottles/cans/...etc
Also punched a few walls.

2003 national championship game, I was so worked up I went upstairs to my brothers room to watch the game alone. He was a college student at the time majoring in art something or other and had large wooden dowels maybe 5 feet long and six inches thick made of balsa wood.

during the second half (OMG I still get frustrated at this call everytime I think about it) one of the jayhawk players made a move to the rim, it was right when the run was either in make or break mode, and it was either gonna be a tight one or we were going to pull away again. Duany got incredible position and I swear he was set for a few seconds before the out of control players ran into him, textbook charge, and the called it a block (can't remember if it was an and 1 or not)

I took a dowel and literally slammed it into the back of the television and smashed both the back of the tv and the dowel in half.

the t.v still worked fine and was mine anyways so I didn't have to replace anything

that was a damn charge I tell ya!

Shot a member of the tailban right between the eyes in 2006 right after Gerry beat Pittsburgh (03-11-06)
the big East tournament and watched his head explode...10 effen games...BABY...

Drove 100 miles with my wife to see a Grateful Dead concert at the Irvine, CA amphitheater.

Tripping on two microbarrels.

And she never knew it.

It was a great concert.

Dang I've broken a couple remotes and there was a point where my parents wouldn't watch games with me and I wasn't too proud of that. But you people are just flat out crazy!! :)

Sometimes my dad will get up and get a few inches from the tv screen and scream at it which results in pieces of spit all over the screen.

I threw a remote control through a bay picture window about 15 years ago. With my wife in the same room. I dont even remember what game it was.

Needless to say I officially retired from throwing things. I almost turned into that guy who takes in stray animals in the cable commercials.

Most painful was immediately after the Vermont game I kicked a mini basketball as hard as I could which hit the wall 10 feet away and immediately fired back and drilled me right in the nuts. The game wasnt painful enough...

Post of the Year, I just busted out laughing so hard I nearly fell out of the chair and I am a large man.

We threw our roommate's Kentucky hat into the oven during the game in '96. Forgot about it until midway through the second half when it melted and filled the apartment with smoke and toxic fumes. Took weeks to get that smell out of the place. Took years for my liver to recover and until 2003 for me to recover emotionally from that night.

I get more out of hand with victories than in defeat.

I was in college in '96, and was pretty hammered during the Georgia game. When Wallace hit the game winner I ran through the dorm and chest bumped a kid who was less than half my size (who was innocently walking down the hall) and pasted him into the concrete wall. He ran into his dorm room and locked the door thinking I was trying to fight.

I get more out of hand with victories than in defeat.

I was in college in '96, and was pretty hammered during the Georgia game. When Wallace hit the game winner I ran through the dorm and chest bumped a kid who was less than half my size (who was innocently walking down the hall) and pasted him into the concrete wall. He ran into his dorm room and locked the door thinking I was trying to fight.
smooth!

Was very spontaneous but after the UGA game, we all started throwing our beer bottles and dishes across the room into the fireplace.

I tend to get more sad than mad for bad times with SU.

On the mad side, two things come to mind:
1-remote through the (old) TV during Flyers/Red Wings stanley cup final.
2-when i was a kid (12?), i had a deal with my parents that on nfl draft day i was off limits. i used to sit in my pajamas in bed with papers everywhere and completely engross myself. my dad had the nerve to ask me to take the dog for a walk (this is pre dvr, of course). i resisted. he insisted. i punched a hole through my bedroom door. that's the only time i remember my dad yelling and being truly angry at me. years later, i learned that punching through a hallow core door ain't such a big deal...but i was proud of myself that day.

Drove 100 miles with my wife to see a Grateful Dead concert at the Irvine, CA amphitheater.

Tripping on two microbarrels.

And she never knew it.

It was a great concert.
We need to hang out.

the-bill-of-rights-fifth-amendment.jpg

Not hoops, but after the phantom and incredibly late pass interference call by SEC refs that screwed Syracuse out of the win over Tennessee in football in 1998, I simply walked out of my house in Houston and walked the streets aimlessly (sort of in a fog), finally coming to my senses (or at least realizing that I was no longer comfortably on my couch) about 45 minutes later sitting on a park bench near a bus stop several miles from my house.

I was shoeless, without identification, money or a cell phone. Hell I was probably mumbling the entire time (no clue).
i remember us getting called for a crucial foul because the zebra did not like one of our players socks.