Most fanatical thing you've done | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Most fanatical thing you've done

Drove 100 miles with my wife to see a Grateful Dead concert at the Irvine, CA amphitheater.

Tripping on two microbarrels.

And she never knew it.

It was a great concert.

Whoa...well done!

This is bad. I was so broke at the time in college circa 1999 NCAA Tourney. I only had a couple of friends who were hardcore hoops fans and they were broke too. I HAD to watch it of course! Now, I'm pretty sure that SU and Okl St. (Gottlieb played) tipped off around noon or early afternoon but I was on the west coast at USC. It wasn't on local TV and the only place that was going to be open that early was this sweet sports bar at the time in downtown LA at the Biltmore Hotel. No money, again. We have to drive there and I have the only car with no gas in it.

There was a party in my apartment complex two nights before. This band dork who I had seen around and had a few conversations with was having a birthday party. Nice kid. He was decked out in his Trojan band outfit with the soldier's helmet too. Now this kid looked like McLovin fwiw but he was a BIG weed dealer. I mean Northern Lights, , etc. Chronic. Everyone had their doors open and it soon became a big apt complex party. McLovin would pop in and out getting more and more trashed by the minute. Now he always carried this backpack around and we all knew what was inside. He ends up passing out in a stairwell with his backpack near him. We all decide to quietly take it and see what's inside. BINGO! A big ziplock freezer bag of the three biggest buds I have ever seen. Well, we proceeded to rob him, take the bag, and quietly return the backpack. We sold half of it, gave a lot away to friends, and most importantly had the funds to get to the game as well as eat/drink like kings. So bad but the poor kid can't be passing out at his own party with that kind of merchandise. That game SUCKED though!

I grew up in Syracuse, but unfortunately I was away at college during the 2003 Championship. I watched the game with two friends who were casual fans at best. They had the best TV on the floor so we set up shop in their room. I was screaming like a demented lunatic the entire game, at one point one of my friends got up and said he was going to see if some other kids down the hall were watching the game. He probably thought I was clinically insane and was trying to get away from me. I was afraid that if he left the room it would somehow affect the MOJO of the game, I get crazy like that during serious games. I looked at him straight in the eyes and told him "If you leave this room right now I swear to god you will never be able to have children I will personally make sure of that! Sit in your god damn computer chair and shut the %*(# up unless I speak to you!" He still reminds me to this day and I still remember he didn't say a word the entire rest of the game.

After we won I was going absolutely ape . I went into the commons room and began flipping out. I convinced/screamed at my friends to help me throw a huge sofa out of the 4th floor of the building for no reason, basically screaming in joy the entire time.

Not too long after that game I went home for a weekend. It was 2 in the morning and it clicked in my head that the sports illustrated magazine came out that same day. The one that featured JB and the championship team. I got in my car and headed straight to Wegmans to buy it. On my way home I was so excited to read it I was going almost 30 miles over the speed limit on a 30mph road. I was straight up driving like I had just stolen a car and was driving for the border. A cop witnessed this and pulled me over. It was woman cop. She asked me what the hell I was doing driving so late, if I was drunk, and why I was driving like an . I pulled the magazine out of the Wegmans bag and showed it to her. I explained that I was trying to drive home as fast as possible to read the magazine, because I still couldn't believe we finally won. She looked at me and she simply said, "Enjoy the magazine" and walked back to her car, basically ignoring everything she saw.

I get more out of hand with victories than in defeat.

I was in college in '96, and was pretty hammered during the Georgia game. When Wallace hit the game winner I ran through the dorm and chest bumped a kid who was less than half my size (who was innocently walking down the hall) and pasted him into the concrete wall. He ran into his dorm room and locked the door thinking I was trying to fight.

that was the game. I was a Jr in high school this year, My sister was in a play at the school and my parents made me go. i brought my walkman and was listening to the game sitting close to the front of the stage. when wallace hit the game winner and jumped up and ran screaming out the door screaming lets f#ing go. apparently i pissed a bunch of people off that day including my mother. my father not so much seeing as he is an su fan

Chased Bill Murray halfway around Brendan Byrne after losing to Kentucky. For some unknown reason, getting Bill Murray's stamp of approval on our season was extremely important to me at that moment. He did say we had a great season although he was clearly suffering from the Helsinki (as in Helsinki, Sweden) syndrome and would have said anything to get away from a clearly irrational, visibly distraught 'Cuse fan...

I turned in my "03 CHAMPS" plates after Vermont. Was totally pissed by the lack of effort and crappy coaching that game. Also put away all 2003 memorabilia. If the weren't gonna try, neither was I.

I'm good about not being too over the top, win or lose...although alcohol will generally factor in to any celebration/mourning period.

I'm considering bringing an extra piece of luggage on my upcoming business trip and paying the extra baggage fees just to be sure I have the appropriate gear while I'm in Texas for the next 11-12 days. Can't have them playing in the BET without my shirt/sweatshirt.

I get more out of hand with victories than in defeat.

I was in college in '96, and was pretty hammered during the Georgia game. When Wallace hit the game winner I ran through the dorm and chest bumped a kid who was less than half my size (who was innocently walking down the hall) and pasted him into the concrete wall. He ran into his dorm room and locked the door thinking I was trying to fight.

I knew I would find you someday!!!!!

After we beat Villanova in the 1981 Big east championship, went down to the court and said to Massimino "Hey Rollie,...TIMEOUT".
After that I'd say it was at the 1982 BET when I saw Thompson and Ewing at the civic center going up a escalator as I was going down and said to them "thats a whole lot of fat and ugly... yeah you!"

I lived in Toronto in 2003 and was doing some consulting services for some hospitals. Not sure if anybody remembers the SARS outbreak in Toronto during March 2003, but given that I was working in one of the impacted hospitals during the outbreak period, I had to go in quarantine for a period of 10 days. The quarantine period started at the beginning of the sweet 16

I strongly contemplated driving to Albany for the elite eight game, but at the end of the day determined it would have been selfish.

1. I had a flight on the evening of the syracuse-vermont game. I dont recall the exact time, but the flight was going to be about 20 min after then end of the game. Rather than driving to the airport and missing part of the 2nd half i went to the atlanta airport about 3.5 hours before the flight to watch the opening tip. Of course the duke game was on 1-16 seed and duke led by 19 for pretty sure the entire game (they switch at 20). I followed along on my laptop for the 1st half. finally showed the last 10 min of the game. Even though it was right across from the gate to Syracuse - i was the only legit fan. I was screaming and swearing. the game ended and i was literally the last person on the flight. i was so numb, i may have had tears in my eyes, i dont know... i remember sitting in the last row of the regional jet (maybe a 70 seater) hoping that the plane would crash.

2. I have watched 3 games with my friend Seth. ND in 2003, okla st in 2003, and Sat vs uconn. The nd game, we were sr's in high school going to a party. i made him sit in the same position the entire 2nd half. sat night, i made him stand with 1 hand on the bar the last 5 min's of the game. Seth has a love/hate relationship with syracuse now.

3. syracuse-rutgers back in 01 or 02ish? my brother went to the mens room at 1 point and we went on a fast and furious rally. he was about 10 or 11 at the time. i made him stay in the bathroom for the entire 2nd half. i bribed him by bringing him candy during the tv timeouts.

4. got into the most amazing argument with georgetown fans in madrid at 3am after we won the semi's of the BET in 06. there were 7-10 of them flying that morning as part of a study abroad thing or maybe spring break or something. " you, go home" was said well over 25 times.

5. my wife thinks it is odd that i plan my entire day, week, and month around football games vs maine or basketball games vs colgate. i dont see anything wrong with it.

6. i watched 6 ot's by myself. my wife went to sleep pretty early that night (she was on call). i gave up on the game about midway through the 2nd half. we werent down a lot of points, but we werent playing well and i really just thought we would lose. so i decided to have a beer to wind myself down and go to sleep right after the buzzer. the second i had that beer we turned it on. so, of course, i had to continue drinking the beer. when devo hit the 3 i whipped my shirt off and ran around my living room twisting above my head - running on top of the couch down to the floor, on top of the chair to the floor, back to the couch-floor-chair-floor-couch etc... at that exact moment my wife got a call in from work and came out and looked at me with such disgust "what in the hell around you doing?". thats when i realized the shot wasnt going to count. over the course of the next 6 ot's i polished off more than a 12 pack. I got to the office at 8:15 the next morning in my Syracuse polo and to a T all of my coworkers were shocked and made mention how surprised they were I made it in to office relatively on time.

Notre Dame game at South Bend in 2003. I had a business dinner at the Number 5 Steakhouse in Vestal with 2 clients that I could not reschedule. Seeing they were not really fans they didnt know the pain they were causing me by possibly having to miss the game.

I showed up at the restaurant at like 6:45. Apparently it was either Fat Tuesday or some stupid drinking holiday thing that was going on. I made my way to the bar and ordered a beer and hoped I could at least convince these 2 guys that we should have drinks before we sat down. Anything to watch some of the game.

As luck would have it, they never showed up until 7:30. Throw in them talking to people they knew for another 15 minutes I managed to watch the entire first half. The restaurant has a second level and of course we ended up there with not a TV in sight.

As I am walking to my table I see a kid I graduated high school with that I had not seen in like 10 years. Huge SU fan. We BS'ed for a minute and he told me he was on a business dinner as well and it was killing him that he could not watch the game either. We then decided that we would take turns checking on the score and give each other hand signals.

Ten minutes later he made his move and went down stairs to the bar. Came back up and flashed me the we are up 4 sign. Well 5 minutes later I had to "use the can" and went to the bar. I remember I ran down the stairs so fast I almost bit it and literally had to leap down the last 3 stairs all at once otherwise I was going down. The hostess looked at me like I was a deranged lunatic.

Came back up and gave him the sign. Now its his turn and he came back up and gave me the up 3 sign. Now its my turn again. Well how many times can you use the excuse that you have to piss? I then intentionally spilled water on my lap, called myself an idiot and excused myself to use the bathroom. My friend was watching from his table and had a hard time not laughing out loud at what I had done. I slowly went down the stairs and caught the score. Up 4 with a few minutes left.

Back upstairs I go and give him the signal. I realize that I will not be able to watch the end and he would have to make one last run downstairs. He got up and went downstairs and was down there like 10 minutes. I am sitting at the table, sweating and wondering if we went to OT or what the hell was happening. He finally came back upstairs and gave me the we won sign. I quietly celebrated to myself by clenching my fists together under the table and finished the dinner.

Jake mentioned in a thread last week that he's thrown many shoes in the past over Scoop's underclassman decision making.

Has me thinking what is the most fanatical thing you've done prior to, at, during, watching, or post game?

Happy to get us started as there have been occassions, where yes, I've turned into the incredible hulk and shredded tee-shirts from my torso. The game vs. Oklahoma and Blake Griffin. The 1st OT in the 6 OT game. I know there have been a few others. Not this year though! Oh and don't worry...they were not Syracuse tee-shirts. Hoping I'm not the only one who is borderline clinical during 'Cuse games. :confused:

Broke a wooden kitchen chair after the 2005 Vermont game.

I stabbed a guy in the heart with a trident while watching the '03 championship game at a bar. He said everytime he's in this bar Syracuse loses. So, you're all welcome.

I once told Charlie Villanueva (whilst courtside and he heard me) that if he shaved his pubes and glued 'em to his eyes he'd have eyelashes. Not something I'm particularly proud of as I've aged. Alopecia is no joke people and i do truly feel bad about it now.
charlie-villanueva-from-the-pistons-2666-1270354050-2.jpg

Broke a wooden kitchen chair after the 2005 Vermont game.

That actually reminds me of a story: my sister broke a glass and a coffee table when they hit the half court three pointer that broke our back.

I once told Charlie Villanueva (whilst courtside and he heard me) that if he shaved his pubes and glued 'em to his eyes he'd have eyelashes. Not something I'm particularly proud of as I've aged. Alopecia is no joke people and i do truly feel bad about it now.
charlie-villanueva-from-the-pistons-2666-1270354050-2.jpg

a couple friends and i used to heckle in front of the student section... i believe it was our sr year. we all had our mini orange cheerleader lokoing mega phones. we were going back and forth and i hear 1 of my friends yell at him, "you look like a fetus!"

everyone around (like 3-400 people) all stopped and turned right at my buddy. it was funny and sad and embarrassing.

That actually reminds me of a story: my sister broke a glass and a coffee table when they hit the half court three pointer that broke our back.
Your sister sounds awesome... She single? Under 30?

Your sister sounds awesome... She single? Under 30?

Is under thirty, but married. She is also the one I wrote about in my blog who only brought TEN BUCKS for a the '03 NCAA games in Boston so she was never a cheap date!

Is under thirty, but married. She is also the one I wrote about in my blog who only brought TEN BUCKS for a the '03 NCAA games in Boston so she was never a cheap date!
I was just kidding. Who had to pay for her?

When I hear the name "Taylor Coppenrath", I piss myself and black ou......