Most hated CBB players of all time | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Most hated CBB players of all time

th
Hmmm... didn't see that coming. Guess I should have used the sarcasm font.

Hmmm... didn't see that coming. Guess I should have used the sarcasm font.
Ha, I assumed so…..but we have a lot of hoop onlies at this point, so you never know anymore.

My only memory of Paulus at Duke was that hilarious charge he tried to take against VCU in the NCAAs. He’s not hatable imo. Just….pathetic.
Freshman Year: 1st team all-ACC freshman; 2nd team all-American freshman. Duke went 32-4 and he set the Duke freshman record for assists in a game (15) and third all time freshmen in a season behind Hurley and Jay Williams.
Sophomore Year: Largely injured that year, but averaged 11.8 ppg. Duke went 28-6.
Junior Year: 3rd team all-ACC. Scored 11.4 ppg. Led the ACC in A/TO ratio. 42% from 3P. Duke went 28-6.
Senior Year: Benched for Nolan Smith. Duke went 30-7.

I don't quite get the hate for Paulus, especially from Syracuse fans considering he's a hometown kid who was the QB for one of the very few good football years we've had here in the past 25 years. Aside from a disappointing senior season, he was a part of a Duke program that went 112-28 (.800 winning percentage) over four years. I think we'd sign up for that success any day of the week. Sure the famous "flop" and "poster" plays are cringeworthy, but I'd take him over any point guard we've had since Tyler Ennis (Gbinije was a combo).

Edit: Not to mention, he was nowhere near considered a "dirty player" or "trash talker".

Last edited:
Freshman Year: 1st team all-ACC freshman; 2nd team all-American freshman. Duke went 32-4 and he set the Duke freshman record for assists in a game (15) and third all time freshmen in a season behind Hurley and Jay Williams.
Sophomore Year: Largely injured that year, but averaged 11.8 ppg. Duke went 28-6.
Junior Year: 3rd team all-ACC. Scored 11.4 ppg. Led the ACC in A/TO ratio. 42% from 3P. Duke went 28-6.

I don't quite get the hate for Paulus, especially from Syracuse fans considering he's a hometown kid who was the QB for one of the very few good football years we've had here in the past 25 years. Aside from a disappointing senior season, he was a part of a Duke program that went 112-28 (.800 winning percentage) over four years. I think we'd sign up for that success any day of the week. Sure the famous "flop" and "poster" players are cringeworthy, but I'd take him over any point guard we've had since Tyler Ennis (Gbinije was a combo).

And yet all I remember is That Charge.

I don't quite get the hate for Paulus, especially from Syracuse fans considering he's a hometown kid who was the QB for one of the very few good football years we've had here in the past 25 years. Aside from a disappointing senior season, he was a part of a Duke program that went 112-28 (.800 winning percentage) over four years. I think we'd sign up for that success any day of the week. Sure the famous "flop" and "poster" plays are cringeworthy, but I'd take him over any point guard we've had since Tyler Ennis (Gbinije was a combo).

Edit: Not to mention, he was nowhere near considered a "dirty player" or "trash talker".

He was basically Michael Edwards as a freshman - averaged 6 and 5 on a loaded team, and got some accolades for it since he was only a freshman.

Duke went 8-8 in the league, and got bounced by VCU in round 1 his soph year(which was his best season).

He played less as a Junior, and they got bounced by WVU in round 2.

Then he got benched his senior year.

Syracuse went 4-8 when he was QB, so you’re mixing up years. I did like him as a QB - that was Marrone’s first year and the team had zero depth. Thought Paulus did well considering the circumstances though.

I think he would’ve been a better college QB then he was a PG, if he went for it in football. But hey, he was starting PG for 3 years at Duke and is doing well as a coach, so can’t knock the path he took.

I agree. Paulus doesn't bother me in the least. I wasn't crazy about him coming one year and playing football, but that wasn't his fault. There are too many other Dook players that I detest, he isn't one of them. Looking right at you Christian, Wojo, and Tripper dude.

He was basically Michael Edwards as a freshman - averaged 6 and 5 on a loaded team, and got some accolades for it since he was only a freshman.

Duke went 8-8 in the league, and got bounced by VCU in round 1 his soph year(which was his best season).

He played less as a Junior, and they got bounced by WVU in round 2.

Then he got benched his senior year.

Syracuse went 4-8 when he was QB, so you’re mixing up years. I did like him as a QB - that was Marrone’s first year and the team had zero depth. Thought Paulus did well considering the circumstances though.

I think he would’ve been a better college QB then he was a PG, if he went for it in football. But hey, he was starting PG for 3 years at Duke and is doing well as a coach, so can’t knock the path he took.
You are correct. My mistake. I confused the Paulus season with the 2010 Pinstripe Bowl team that finished 8-5. My main point is, there are plenty of villains in college basketball, and Paulus isn't even on my radar for that list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom