Most underrated player of the 90's | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Most underrated player of the 90's

Allen Griffin was without a doubt one of my all time favorites and rarely mentioned for his contributions. Very underrated guy who played with as much heart as any SU player that I can recall.

Good call. Griffin is probably my top choice, too, with Hart being a close second.

Good call. Griffin is probably my top choice, too, with Hart being a close second.

Yeah he got Token minutes here and there but I don't remember him really being a contributor until his senior year...00-01

Yeah he got Token minutes here and there but I don't remember him really being a contributor until his senior year...00-01

He was a starter as a sophomore.

Todd Burgan

I must have misread the subject title. I thought it said underrated, not overrated.

I would go with Z if we are talking a single season. If we are talking a career of being underrated, I would probably go with Hill but would have to give it some thought.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Griffin? No he wasn't

Yes he was. Started sophomore year at the 2. Shifted to Hart's backup at his more natural PG position as a junior, accepting the demotion with class. Started senior year and had a big year at the point.

He didn't really play til 00-01 year

You guys are right--I equate him with the 90s, but you are both correct that his big year wasn't until that senior season, which was at the beginning of the next decade.

While a case by others was made for Elvir Ovcina, my own argument was for Lazarus Sims. Quiet confident team general, may be the most cerebral PG I have seen at Syracuse since I have been following the program. Made others better.

Any time you are talking about the 90's - the Meadowlands, Kentucky and Pitino must come to mind. With just John Wallace and a bunch of guys we got to the championship game against the #1 seed. Had Lazarous Sims not injured his wrist during the game, we probably win. Here's Pitino's quote: "We had to get to Sims. Make him tired, get him exhausted and get him working. We had to cut off the interior, but we had to pressure him. And certainly any time you get him out of the game, it's a big factor."

I think you are on solid ground with your selection of Mr. Sims.

Any time you are talking about the 90's - the Meadowlands, Kentucky and Pitino must come to mind. With just John Wallace and a bunch of guys we got to the championship game against the #1 seed. Had Lazarous Sims not injured his wrist during the game, we probably win. Here's Pitino's quote: "We had to get to Sims. Make him tired, get him exhausted and get him working. We had to cut off the interior, but we had to pressure him. And certainly any time you get him out of the game, it's a big factor."

Hill was playing hurt as well.

Maybe...I know nothing about how regarded he was out of HS since he was a transfer.
According to a magazine I still have, Clark Francis rated him 20th before his senior year between Taymon Domzalski and Chauncey Billips. His comments were as follows: Comparable to John Wallace, but Blackwell is better at the same stage. Early Leader: Syracuse. Maybe someone can add why he chose Illinois first and then transferred back home.

The top ten recruits that year were: Stephon Marbury, Kevin Garnett, Ron Mercer, Robert Traylor, Shareef Abdul-Rahim, Derek Hood, Terrance Robinson, Wayne Turner, Vince Carter and Paul Pierce. Pretty interesting that the first Big East recruits were Tim James at 24, LaSean Howard at 32 and Vonteego Cummings at 33. Not a stellar year for the Big East.

FYI: Doug Gottleib was 67th ranked that year.

According to a magazine I still have, Clark Francis rated him 20th before his senior year between Taymon Domzalski and Chauncey Billips. His comments were as follows: Comparable to John Wallace, but Blackwell is better at the same stage. Early Leader: Syracuse. Maybe someone can add why he chose Illinois first and then transferred back home.

The top ten recruits that year were: Stephon Marbury, Kevin Garnett, Ron Mercer, Robert Traylor, Shareef Abdul-Rahim, Derek Hood, Terrance Robinson, Wayne Turner, Vince Carter and Paul Pierce. Pretty interesting that the first Big East recruits were Tim James at 24, LaSean Howard at 32 and Vonteego Cummings at 33. Not a stellar year for the Big East.

FYI: Doug Gottleib was 67th ranked that year.

From what I understand, Blackwell grew up in Illinois before his family moved to Rochester area. He was a ball boy as a youth for Lou Henson if memory serves, and ultimately that led him to pick the Illini when most pundits had him pegged for Syracuse.

Glad we got him the second time around.

He could have been a huge star if only Boeheim would have played him at the 2.
Imagine that unstoppable 3-point shot.
Imagine that wingspan at the top of the zone.
: )

During an exhibition his senior year, I believe, we were down by 1 or 2 in an exhibition game and Elvir, on a 2 on 1 break, took a step back three point attempt and missed it as the clock expired.

That is my memory of Elvir Ovcina.

No new names to add to the thread, but I would be hard-pressed to choose between:

Dave Johnson (actually, the first name that came to mind)
Allen Griffin
Jason Hart
Ryan Blackwell

If the career is allowed to extend to the 2000s, then Billy Celuck begins and ends this discussion!

I'm a huge Cuse fan and I loved that 96 team. Sims only sat out 1 minute of that game and had as many assists as turnovers if I remember right. The idea that if he was healthy we win is completely insane.

Mine too. He is one of my all time favorites to wear orange.

One of the best dunks I've ever seen, in my lifetime of being a fan.

That dunk sparked the comeback.

I think and argument can be made for Poetry in Moten.

He is the Big East's all time leading scorer. The Syracuse All Time leading scorer. Big East Freshman of the year and a 3 Time All Big East First Team selection. He played through a pretty dark time at SU coming in the year after the Richmond NCAAT debacle and the year before our Post Season Ban.

He is rarely mentioned in any discussion of our top all time players or the Big East's all time players despite being the all time scoring leader.....man the guy could score the ball. I wonder if he would be held in higher esteem if not for the What moment against Arkansas?

I think and argument can be made for Poetry in Moten.

He is the Big East's all time leading scorer. The Syracuse All Time leading scorer. Big East Freshman of the year and a 3 Time All Big East First Team selection. He played through a pretty dark time at SU coming in the year after the Richmond NCAAT debacle and the year before our Post Season Ban.

He is rarely mentioned in any discussion of our top all time players or the Big East's all time players despite being the all time scoring leader.....man the guy could score the ball. I wonder if he would be held in higher esteem if not for the What moment against Arkansas?
Unfortunately, Ark. was not his only What game. As his career progressed, the boneheaded plays kept increasing.

I'll toss in another name--Marius Janulis.

Lightly recruited from a Class D New York State school. Excellent shooting form, and a good grasp of the fundamentals (because he learned the game in Lithuania?).Made some big shots, most notably the last-second "3" vs Iona in the first round of the tournament, saving JB the embarrassment of losing to his former assistant, Tim Welsh.

I have to agree with longtimefan with Janulis with a close second being Luke Jackson. Janulis was an afterthought in recruiting and was a decent glue guy in his early years. His senior year he was forced into and played extremely well in the "star" role.

Unfortunately, Ark. was not his only What game. As his career progressed, the boneheaded plays kept increasing.

First round of the BE Tourney that same year comes to mind.