Most wide open college football season ever? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Most wide open college football season ever?

I get what you're saying Randy but what does a loss mean when 1 school schedules 4 patsies OOC and another plays 2 to 3 P5 schools? Granted the conference each school is in will play a part of the losses but still you HAVE to have the conference winners be involved in a playoff because of the small sample size that is college football due to patsy games and other variables such as perception/agenda/propaganda/politics/$.
You and SWC75 both have valid points.

The problem starts with having any type of poll before week 5 of the season. Teams who lose early to even awful teams get more respect at the end of the season than teams that lose late. The SEC gets too much damn respect and a majority of it is due to ESPN and their hype machine. If 10 SEC teams are in the top 20 preseason then its impossible for other conferences to get teams to the top. ESPN wanted FSU to lose last night BADLY, so they could get them out of the picture.

Pre season polls are what the voters make of them. I could never understand why they give them so much credence and make them so difficult to change after the voters see what develops. It's almost as if they won't admit they made an error in judgement even though it was a best guess to vote a team there in the first place. I have more of a problem with the late loss thing they do than the pre-season polls.

The problem starts with having any type of poll before week 5 of the season. Teams who lose early to even awful teams get more respect at the end of the season than teams that lose late. The SEC gets too much damn respect and a majority of it is due to ESPN and their hype machine. If 10 SEC teams are in the top 20 preseason then its impossible for other conferences to get teams to the top. ESPN wanted FSU to lose last night BADLY, so they could get them out of the picture.

Come on, this is ridiculous. The only "SEC bias" is against the SEC.

Computer systems do not know which team is which. They are given results for every team (they could be called team 1 , team 2, etc.) and have no idea which conference they are in, only which teams play each other. Pretty much all of them have the SEC - specifically the SEC west - in the top 5. So, people vote accordingly so they don't look like homers for a certain team or conference.

Maybe SEC teams get an early season boost in human polls but history is certainly on their side (would you really not put Alabama in the preseason top 5 every year?). If you just let objective computer systems do it all it would still look like "SEC bias" to some people.

It's good to see the playoff committee isn't letting the anti-SEC crowd get in the way of rewarding the most deserving teams.

If History is valuable..then why do the punish FSU this year when they havent lost a game? They beat the best SEC team for the national championship. You can't have it go FOR the SEC and against the ACC.

If History is valuable..then why do the punish FSU this year when they havent lost a game? They beat the best SEC team for the national championship. You can't have it go FOR the SEC and against the ACC.

When you are making an augment you make sure you recite the stats only in your favor...I know defending champs and haven't lost in 20+ games. Mississippi St has and will play ZERO P5 teams OOC while FSU played/plays ND, Oklahoma St and Florida. Yet people still say that SO FAR Mississippi St has played the best schedule. Auburn and LSU are obviously very good but seriously who else have they played and to that point they continue to get mulligans with their bye week, Kentucky and Arkansas (obvious juggernauts). I'm thrilled there is a playoff but ESPN is really spinning FSU in a negative light and I'll be surprised if they are in the Final 4 if they ever get one loss. At least if there is a 8 team playoff (All P5 winners) the ACC gets at least one team in and some of the BS can stop.

When you are making an augment you make sure you recite the stats only in your favor...I know defending champs and haven't lost in 20+ games. Mississippi St has and will play ZERO P5 teams OOC while FSU played/plays ND, Oklahoma St and Florida. Yet people still say that SO FAR Mississippi St has played the best schedule. Auburn and LSU are obviously very good but seriously who else have they played and to that point they continue to get mulligans with their bye week, Kentucky and Arkansas (obvious juggernauts). I'm thrilled there is a playoff but ESPN is really spinning FSU in a negative light and I'll be surprised if they are in the Final 4 if they ever get one loss. At least if there is a 8 team playoff (All P5 winners) the ACC gets at least one team in and some of the BS can stop.

Im making the same argument as you, but i feel like you are arguing me. Haha.

Im making the same argument as you, but i feel like you are arguing me. Haha.

I made an augment not an argument with you! We're on the same page on this one Macky.

I made an augment not an argument with you! We're on the same page on this one Macky.
Sorry it was a long weekend mostly spent in The Dome both days WITH plenty of beer. Ill chalk this one up to a case of The Mondays.

3qqp3b.jpg

Sorry it was a long weekend mostly spent in The Dome both days WITH plenty of beer. Ill chalk this one up to a case of The Mondays.

3qqp3b.jpg

If only I could blame beer for my writing "missability".

BUT everyone ahead of them and the team behind them have all beaten someone in the top 25 of the same rankings. ND's best win is vs 5-3 Stanford.

They need to join the ACC in full so they have a conference championship game to potentially bump their rankings and/or strongly reconsider ending their series with Purdue who add nothing to their resume ever and not scheduling Rice. Plenty of other schools in Texas that would look much better on their schedule.

As an ND fan, I would rather ND have to go 12-0 to make the playoffs than join a conference and have to play eight or nine schools per year from that conference.

Why do things the easy way? Why be like everyone else? Do it differently. Do it your way. That makes it all the sweeter when you win it all.

I look at the current playoff situation with ND as just the cost of doing business as an independent. No need to join a conference, just win all of your games or go 11-1 in years when your opponents on the schedule do better than this year.

Don't make the playoffs this year because it is skewed towards conferences? Tough, so it goes. Do better next year.

TerryD said:
As an ND fan, I would rather ND have to go 12-0 to make the playoffs than join a conference and have to play eight or nine schools per year from that conference. Why do things the easy way? Why be like everyone else? Do it differently. Do it your way. That makes it all the sweeter when you win it all. I look at the current playoff situation with ND as just the cost of doing business as an independent. No need to join a conference, just win all of your games or go 11-1 in years when your opponents on the schedule do better than this year. Don't make the playoffs this year because it is skewed towards conferences? Tough, so it goes. Do better next year.

So silly. If ND actually joined the ACC the whole conferences profile would be raised. Maybe a one loss ND team with the OOC you'd still play would be in the playoff.

Or as you said, you can do it your way and need to be perfect. How many years of losing one and playing in the Orange bowl will it take for everyone to sing a different tune?!?

Side note: if I were a ND fan (puke), I'd be pushing for an 8 game playoff really hard. Would be much easier to slip in every year as an independent.

As an ND fan, I would rather ND have to go 12-0 to make the playoffs than join a conference and have to play eight or nine schools per year from that conference.

Why do things the easy way? Why be like everyone else? Do it differently. Do it your way. That makes it all the sweeter when you win it all.

I look at the current playoff situation with ND as just the cost of doing business as an independent. No need to join a conference, just win all of your games or go 11-1 in years when your opponents on the schedule do better than this year.

Don't make the playoffs this year because it is skewed towards conferences? Tough, so it goes. Do better next year.

They want to house all their other teams in the conference to elevate them and they want one of our bowl spots but they don't want to make their football team part of the conference, which would elevate the conference. Their actions make perfect sense if their only priority is themselves.

ND football is part of the ACC... they play 5/8ths a conference schedule.

ND has merely the illusion of being independent at this point. 3/4ths of their annual schedule is spoken for (5 ACC, Navy, USC, Stanford). They play in the ACC/ND Tradition conference, with 4 OOC games.

Like most everyone else.

So silly. If ND actually joined the ACC the whole conferences profile would be raised. Maybe a one loss ND team with the OOC you'd still play would be in the playoff.

Or as you said, you can do it your way and need to be perfect. How many years of losing one and playing in the Orange bowl will it take for everyone to sing a different tune?!?

Side note: if I were a ND fan (puke), I'd be pushing for an 8 game playoff really hard. Would be much easier to slip in every year as an independent.

Do you want the opinions of ND fans on ND topics or do you guys want an echo chamber where you all agree with yourselves? I was just giving you the perspective of ND fans on the issue. Go to ND boards and you will see no desire for football to join a conference, no matter what the playoff selection outcome is.

ND is not concerned with "raising the conference". It is concerned with keeping football out of any/all conferences.

Yes, ND's only priority is itself, just like Syracuse, Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, etc...

What school's priority is it to benefit someone else to its own detriment? Every school acts in its own perceived self interest.

ND's perceived self interest is not to house football in a conference. That is the only difference. It does not even have to do with just football, but the school as a whole.

Falling short of a playoff spot because of some hypothetical "benefit" of being in a football conference is not going to cause ND fans to want the school to give up independence, sorry.

And yes, I believe an eight team playoff is probably not far down the road. That will help ND stay independent.

Last edited:
TerryD said:
Do you want the opinions of ND fans on ND topics or do you guys want an echo chamber where you all agree with yourselves? I was just giving you the perspective of ND fans on the issue. Go to ND boards and you will see no desire for football to join a conference, no matter what the playoff selection outcome is. ND is not concerned with "raising the conference". It is concerned with keeping football out of any/all conferences. Yes, ND's only priority is itself, just like Syracuse, Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, etc... What school's priority is it to benefit someone else to its own detriment? Every school acts in its own perceived self interest. ND's perceived self interest is not to house football in a conference. That is the only difference. It does not even have to do with just football, but the school as a whole. Falling short of a playoff spot because of some hypothetical "benefit" of being in a football conference is not going to cause ND fans to want the school to give up independence, sorry. And yes, I believe an eight team playoff is probably not far down the road. That will help ND stay independent.

You're the one that described yourselves doing something to your own detriment (needing to be perfect as an independent, as opposed to raising the profile of a conference, so that maybe you can survive a loss).

And I think that if your left out a few times with one loss, your AD is smart enough to figure out a way to do what's best.

I do love ND fans though. It has to be "we lose and the ACC wins if we join a conference" - like the relationship can't be mutually beneficial, like it is for everyone not named ND. Raising the conference would be in your best interest of it got you into the playoffs.

If the benefit to being in a conference goes from "hypothetical" to practical (again, like what everyone else believes) - you guys will be sporting a conference logo on your football jersey in a heartbeat.

Do you want the opinions of ND fans on ND topics or do you guys want an echo chamber where you all agree with yourselves? I was just giving you the perspective of ND fans on the issue. Go to ND boards and you will see no desire for football to join a conference, no matter what the playoff selection outcome is.

ND is not concerned with "raising the conference". It is concerned with keeping football out of any/all conferences.

Yes, ND's only priority is itself, just like Syracuse, Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, etc...

What school's priority is it to benefit someone else to its own detriment? Every school acts in its own perceived self interest.

ND's perceived self interest is not to house football in a conference. That is the only difference. It does not even have to do with just football, but the school as a whole.

Falling short of a playoff spot because of some hypothetical "benefit" of being in a football conference is not going to cause ND fans to want the school to give up independence, sorry.

And yes, I believe an eight team playoff is probably not far down the road. That will help ND stay independent.

You can be "out for yourself" and still combine with others to do things that benefit all parties. ND wants everything to benefit them and to heck with the others.

TheCusian said:
Expanding the playoffs isn't about giving #7 or #8 a chance at the national title. It would be almost completely about money.

But it does cast a large enough net to make sure that the best teams are in, no matter what.

In the BCS system, the argument was based unfairly at #2 and #3. People said that this was okay because it mostly got it right. Except it didn't. #3 didn't get a shot based on eye tests and polls and computers and lobbying. It was dumb.

The 4-team playoff alleviates this by moving the argument back to #4 or #5. It's now in the hands of biased, imperfect people - but at least the argument is moved back and there is a wider net. But it still isn't perfect. There could theoretically be a #5 team capable of winning it all.

By making the net wider, it alleviates some of the risk/stupidity of using biased, imperfect people to decide who gets a shot. It also increases the amount of fans invested in the season rabidly by x10 (as opposed to x5).

The devaluing the regular season argument is honestly stupid. More fans invested. More interest. And seeding will be important. There is a point where their are too many teams and it begins to lessen the importance (and shorten the regular season) - but 8 is not that number.

Yes but with 5 conferences isn't it possible (not this season) to have 5 undefeated confernece champions and leave one out? seems silly to have a 4 team playoff in a 5 confernece league. 5 auto bids 3 at large simplify the comitee's work to 3 choices.

You're the one that described yourselves doing something to your own detriment (needing to be perfect as an independent, as opposed to raising the profile of a conference, so that maybe you can survive a loss).

And I think that if your left out a few times with one loss, your AD is smart enough to figure out a way to do what's best.

I do love ND fans though. It has to be "we lose and the ACC wins if we join a conference" - like the relationship can't be mutually beneficial, like it is for everyone not named ND. Raising the conference would be in your best interest of it got you into the playoffs.

If the benefit to being in a conference goes from "hypothetical" to practical (again, like what everyone else believes) - you guys will be sporting a conference logo on your football jersey in a heartbeat.

The only way that ND football will join a conference is if the playoffs mandate conference champions only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom