Mount Rushmore of professional wrestling | Syracusefan.com

Mount Rushmore of professional wrestling

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
The Nature Boy has spoken. Hard to disagree with his selections. Unless you want to go with the Brooklyn Brawler. :rolling:

No Andre the Giant?

Andre was one of the first I thought of also. But I'm just not sure who you take off for him. They were all definitely must see tv.

I didn't see it in the post, but I googled, I think it's him/Austin/Rock/Hogan?

That's certainly a reasonable list post WWF national expansion (1984). Prior to that, you have guys like Bruno and Lou Thesz. If it's a WWF only list, you'd have to take Flair off.

I got into wrestling in the attitude era (90s kid), so my top 4 is post Flair

Rock, Austin, Taker, Cena

Not a huge Cena fan, but cannot deny his impact on WWE post attitude era

If I had bias, I would have Angle in there over him

I got into wrestling in the attitude era (90s kid), so my top 4 is post Flair

Rock, Austin, Taker, Cena

Not a huge Cena fan, but cannot deny his impact on WWE post attitude era

If I had bias, I would have Angle in there over him

Taker is definitely a more enduring character, especially if we're doing a WWF/E list. It's a lot harder to tell the story of WWF without including Taker than Angle, for instance. If we're just talking about 4 favorite performers or whatever, I would probably have Angle over Taker as well. But I'd also probably have Daniel Bryan on my list.

Andre was one of the first I thought of also. But I'm just not sure who you take off for him. They were all definitely must see tv.
I kinda think the Rock doesn't belong, because he transcended wrestling.

Taker is definitely a more enduring character, especially if we're doing a WWF/E list. It's a lot harder to tell the story of WWF without including Taker than Angle, for instance. If we're just talking about 4 favorite performers or whatever, I would probably have Angle over Taker as well. But I'd also probably have Daniel Bryan on my list.

My personal all time favorites- Angle, Kane, Christian, Austin, Goldust, Bradshaw (loved the finisher)

My personal all time favorites- Angle, Kane, Christian, Austin, Goldust, Bradshaw (loved the finisher)

Oh man I would never want to take that clothesline.

I have to admit Kane is kind of a weird one. I have so many guys, Austin was just the best. Foley. Love Danielson. Eddie. Angle. Love love love AJ Styles right now.

Rushmore lists are a fun debate.

It's a tough call.

And Angle is not a finalist.

In addition to his 4, I'd add Rowdy Roddy Piper, Bret 'The Hitman' Hart, Andre the Giant and The Undertaker.

I'm trying to think of household names and not just 'great wrestlers'.

It's a tough call.

In addition to his 4, I'd add Rowdy Roddy Piper, Bret 'The Hitman' Hart, Andre the Giant and The Undertaker.

Right, I assume we're talking more of business movers and the like. Which, if the case, Hogan/Austin/Rock/Cena really stand above the pack.

Right, I assume we're talking more of business movers and the like. Which, if the case, Hogan/Austin/Rock/Cena really stand above the pack.
I'd add Cena to my list, u are right.

I guess I always kind of dismiss him as 'The Rock' Jr, or Rock Lite.

I'd add Cena to my list, u are right.

I guess I always kind of dismiss him as 'The Rock' Jr, or Rock Lite.

Which is prob fair, but Rock is one of the 3 or 4 greatest draws in the history of the company, so a lesser version of him is still really good.

I've also softened a lot on Cena the last few years. He's pretty awesome now.

Which is prob fair, but Rock is one of the 3 or 4 greatest draws in the history of the company, so a lesser version of him is still really good.

I've also softened a lot on Cena the last few years. He's pretty awesome now.
And hey, being able to pull off being the Rock Lite is no small accomplishment either.

Hogan couldn't become the Rock.

Dwayne is special.

I'm guessing Cena is also in Daddy's Home 2 in a few weeks as well, so he's still working hard at it.

If it’s about money drawn
Hulk Hogan
Steve Austin
Ric Flair
John Cena

If it’s about legacy
Replace Cena with Shawn Micheals,Undertaker or Bruno Sammartino.

The best combination of drawing money and wrestling ability has to be Shawn Michaels but the top 4 drew more money.

Rock was a legend but he left to become an A lister in Hollywood.

It's a tough call.

The Rock mentioned Syracuse and Marvin Graves in his book, so he has to be there. That plus being as entertaining a figure as there was.

On this also ran list, I'd also have Mick Foley and Dusty Rhodes.

Managers should have a Mount Rushmore too. Brain, Mouth of the South, Capt Lou, and ??? (Blassie, Paul Bearer/Percy Pringle, Jim Cornette, Grand Wizard, JJ Dillon)

Manager Mt. Rushmore
Bobby Heenan
Jimmy Hart
Mr. Fuji
Paul Heyman

Hulk Hogan
Steve Austin
Ric Flair
John Cena

If it’s about legacy

The best combination of drawing money and wrestling ability has to be Shawn Michaels but the top 4 drew more money.

Dropping HBK was a tough call, but he was hurt often and disappeared frequently.

Managers should have a Mount Rushmore too. Brain, Mouth of the South, Capt Lou, and ??? (Blassie, Paul Bearer/Percy Pringle, Jim Cornette, Grand Wizard, JJ Dillon)
I know someone who is married to Captain Lou's daughter. It's kind of crazy when thinking about it. Going back to the original OP, it's hard to leave out Bruno Sammartino. I realize some of this is generational, but for a long time he was the number one wrestler and personality in wrestling.
Bruno Sammartino - Wikipedia

The Nature Boy has spoken. Hard to disagree with his selections. Unless you want to go with the Brooklyn Brawler. :rolling:

Can’t argue with Ric, there.

My personal list would be: Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Ric Flair, and Chris Jericho.

Really want to include Jake Roberts too, that guy was awesome.

Edit: also, I think Savage has become incredibly underrated somehow. That guy was amazing in every single facet - great matches, great talker, great character, super popular with fans, great face or heel.

Last edited:
there are two distinct eras

pre-wrestlemania (when wrestling was still territorial):
strangler lewis
lou thesz
andre the giant
ric flair

wrestlemania and after (when mcmahon had destroyed the territory system):
vince mcmahon
hulk hogan
the rock
john cena
i hate to do this one because i hate what mcmahon did to wrestling, i hate hogan's style. also, in the later years, i prefer hbk & austin (and for that matter cm punk) but the money says its rock & cena

international wrestling
antonio ioki
giant baba
el santo
carlos colon

my personal mt rushmore
the sheik
bruiser brody
superfly
rick rude

Hulk Hogan
Steve Austin
Ric Flair
John Cena

If it’s about legacy

I think either Flair or Austin has it here. Michaels wasn't much of a draw. Amazing worker obviously.

Rock is still one of the all time draws, even with the short career. How much shorter was his career as a draw than Austin's?

there are two distinct eras

pre-wrestlemania (when wrestling was still territorial):
strangler lewis
lou thesz
andre the giant
ric flair

Gotta have Bruno?

It's a tough call.

He's simply a personal favorite of mine.

How about 1996 onward mt Rushmore of best in ring wrestlers? I put Angle in that with HBK, Jericho, and Benoit. I could swap in Guerrero and Mysterio too.

If we want post attitude era- CM punk, Bryan, Styles, (?)

I think either Flair or Austin has it here. Michaels wasn't much of a draw. Amazing worker obviously.

Rock is still one of the all time draws, even with the short career. How much shorter was his career as a draw than Austin's?
Austin was still outselling Rock during their Era.

Rock was amazing but he wasn’t Austin.

Also Austin wasn’t that good a worker during his SCSA days as Owen Hart broke his neck and as a result he during his Stone Cold era during the attitude era really was a brawler.

Flair I can see over Michaels but not Austin as a worker.
Hart and Michaels were hurt by the steroids trial Vince went thru and business took a hit till the attitude era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom