Movies 2023 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Movies 2023

my time yesterday for Guardians from sitting down to leaving was 2:45 with the previews and staying thru the after credits. Then add in 30-40 to get to the closest movie plex.

I seldom go week 1 anymore just because of the crowds for these big movies.

Which is also begs the question is are the movies/theaters hurting them selves.. It used to be a bunch of movies with several showings.. Now its a limited number of movies with the bigger ones tons of showings. So movies dont stay as long and you have tons of very empty showings.

30-40 yrs ago you never went to a movie with 20-50% empty seats now I rarely go to one with more than 5-10 people.
I legitimately won't go to a showing that is full anymore. I'll find an off time on like Saturday morning or go by myself on a Wednesday afternoon to avoid being surrounded by people. Not exactly sure when that happened, some kind of combination of the pandemic and hating hearing people chomping popcorn and whatever else.

Actually looks like the run time for Mission Impossible is 2:49. We were going to try to have dinner and go to the 7:20pm showing but then when I started to think about it, with the now 25 mins of previews before every movie, we're now looking at around 3:15 plus probably 25 mins to get to the car and get home and now we're just getting home at 11. Not trying to do that on a Thursday night, especially not after doing it the night before for a concert.

Hijack...MEH. you keep asking yourself why don't they just...

But they will be making back more than just box office as well.

They will get back more than 50% because thats a bottom line cost and they will getting most of the BO in the first few weeks when the studios actually get more than 50%

its also a big unknown on what saving they got for filming in some of those locations. Thats not factored into the production costs as well
They are going to get negligible in merchandise. They are already getting kicked off the best screens. It’s going to be closer to $300m

Do most people like the dine in theaters? Initially I really liked the concept and then as I've aged I absolutely hate it. Hearing people eat while trying to watch a movie, especially during quiet parts extremely bothers me at this point in life.
I love it.

But, fat guy.

my time yesterday for Guardians from sitting down to leaving was 2:45 with the previews and staying thru the after credits. Then add in 30-40 to get to the closest movie plex.

I seldom go week 1 anymore just because of the crowds for these big movies.

Which is also begs the question is are the movies/theaters hurting them selves.. It used to be a bunch of movies with several showings.. Now its a limited number of movies with the bigger ones tons of showings. So movies dont stay as long and you have tons of very empty showings.

30-40 yrs ago you never went to a movie with 20-50% empty seats now I rarely go to one with more than 5-10 people.
I saw a TikTok from a guy that said preselling assigned seats kinda kills going to the movies.

Back in the day, when you went to the movies, you got there and were committed, even if there were no seats in the theater next to each other.

Nowadays, you don't see the seats you want, you don't go.

I think there's something to it.

I never pre buy tickets before going as it costs more money.. But I do agree some people may take the time to not go based on how full it is.

the flip side is that there many many more shows of the big movies than 10-20 yrs ago.. Where you might have had 3-5 in a night now its 10-15 .

In the 80s there were often like a 6 and 830 show and then maybe an 1130 show. So rather than not go just go to the other shows now.

I do wonder why people feel the need to buy seats right on top of other people in a movie with 20-30 people there?

Case in pt MI had 12 shows today at my Regal.. The 9:50 show had 10 people in it so less than 10% full. thatwould never have happened for the first friday 25 yrs ago of a big movie like this.

Right now the 9:50 show on Sat has zero people in it. the 7pm show has 7 tickets sold in a 500+ seat aud. people not only look now they probably wait much longer to commit.

Last edited:
Do most people like the dine in theaters? Initially I really liked the concept and then as I've aged I absolutely hate it. Hearing people eat while trying to watch a movie, especially during quiet parts extremely bothers me at this point in life.
Everything is pretty spread out as far as the seats go so I don’t really even notice other people eating. I enjoy the convenience of not having to stand in a line for concessions but yeah I can see why some people might get annoyed. Servers are walking around so people are whispering constantly. That’s probably more bothersome than people eating.

When you look at what goes into making a movie, its surprising some even get made.. Just look at costs..

Say its 100 people making 50K a yr , just for around the set people. thats a million for 3 months. Now some get made much faster but some take 2-3x times that.

Add in writers and that kind of cost

then add in food/travel/lodging/building sets

Then for bigger movies the cost of the special effects that require cgi

Now we have the workers wanting more money, the actors wanting more money, the writers wanting more money and they just settled on the directors getting more money..

if they all want 5-10% you just increased the cost of doing business by as much as 40% without any increase in profits. Fans dont want to pay more for tickets and are coming out less to the box office.

But like many businesses the people at the top make the bucks and the worker bees make peanuts.

Much of this made sense back in the day when studios owned the talent and owned the theaters
You think it made sense when it was a monopoly?

Saw it last night. I honestly think everyone should go see this movie. Shines a bright light on the child sex slave industry. And, opposed to what some reviewers are saying, it is not right wing propaganda, it is not a religious movie, and it is not political in any way.
Pass.

it wasnt a monopoly it there were multiple studios
Semantics. We’ll call it an oligopoly then. Regardless, it was determined that the studios were in violation of antitrust laws.

The question remains, you preferred that model?

Semantics. We’ll call it an oligopoly then. Regardless, it was determined that the studios were in violation of antitrust laws.

The question remains, you preferred that model?
I think that model now would be better for us as consumers and for the industry.. right now the theaters take a bath and the movie companies as well. the old model we would have the 4-5 big companies spots and the the indepentent spots.. Who knows if it would work.

We probably wouldnt have the large cineplexes though anymore.

to me is the issue of extracting so much money the first few weeks means tons of shows of a few movies and others go away pretty fast and in some areas never come at all. if nothing else I wish some movies stayed around 8-10 weeks even if it was a single show or 2. often the reason I dont see a movie is because after week 1-2 the show times get cut down so much that its just hard to find a good time to see something.

I have talked to the Regal management at our local one about the show times and they told me that have no control. So say a movie is playing limited runs like 3 7 pm.. I asked why not mix it up like 1 5 one day and 3 7 another.. At least if a movie moved to different times people would have multiple times and days to choose and not just 1 time slot.. A movie that only plays at 3-4pm means no one who works can every get to it.

Some moves get the noon-1 shot and some dont.. they dont do the 1130ish shows at all any more, which used to be perfect to take an early lunch go see a movie and get back just a bit late from lunch..

I think that model now would be better for us as consumers and for the industry.. right now the theaters take a bath and the movie companies as well. the old model we would have the 4-5 big companies spots and the the indepentent spots.. Who knows if it would work.

We probably wouldnt have the large cineplexes though anymore.

to me is the issue of extracting so much money the first few weeks means tons of shows of a few movies and others go away pretty fast and in some areas never come at all. if nothing else I wish some movies stayed around 8-10 weeks even if it was a single show or 2. often the reason I dont see a movie is because after week 1-2 the show times get cut down so much that its just hard to find a good time to see something.

I have talked to the Regal management at our local one about the show times and they told me that have no control. So say a movie is playing limited runs like 3 7 pm.. I asked why not mix it up like 1 5 one day and 3 7 another.. At least if a movie moved to different times people would have multiple times and days to choose and not just 1 time slot.. A movie that only plays at 3-4pm means no one who works can every get to it.

Some moves get the noon-1 shot and some dont.. they dont do the 1130ish shows at all any more, which used to be perfect to take an early lunch go see a movie and get back just a bit late from lunch..
You’re forgetting the talent. Actors, directors, writers, and the rest of the crew would be taken advantage of, just like they were back then.

And, frankly, they’re being taken advantage of now. Streaming and AI are game-changers in different ways. The actors and writers want their fair share of streaming revenue. They also don’t want to be exploited or rendered obsolete by the use of AI. These are reasonable requests.

You’re forgetting the talent. Actors, directors, writers, and the rest of the crew would be taken advantage of, just like they were back then.

And, frankly, they’re being taken advantage of now. Streaming and AI are game-changers in different ways. The actors and writers want their fair share of streaming revenue. They also don’t want to be exploited or rendered obsolete by the use of AI. These are reasonable requests.
the distribution model does not mean that the other parts were good. they could well have left the studios in charge of the output without the other pieces they had the monopoly in.. I mean really look now at how few independent theaters around anyway.

Sound of freedom was good until I found out about some of the stuff after. Still an important issue. 7.5/10

Mission impossible 8/10 really fun albeit suffers from too many characters.

It’s vitally important that you watch Dr. Steven Greers new movie/documentary, if you care about our nation and the world’s survival.
This is not a fear mongering attempt to create political division; this is informed scientists speaking out about the health and wellbeing of our planet.
If you care about your children and grand children’s survival, please obtain a copy and watch it!

So streaming which is making no money almost anywhere needs to provide more money which means raise the rates and people are already cutting back on so many of them.

So streaming which is making no money almost anywhere needs to provide more money which means raise the rates and people are already cutting back on so many of them.
It's an example of how goofy tech companies operate. Often building the user base is considered more critical than making a profit. Investment dollars make up the difference.

It's intentionally unsustainable, and a race to valuation.

Pretty stupid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom