Movies to watch during lockdown? | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Movies to watch during lockdown?

I watched it over 2 flights. I looked forward to the second trip so I could finish it up. Was entertained.
Yeah it was like 164 minutes and the first 144 minutes were unnecessary.

For you WWII buffs, I know I had already mentioned WWII in Colour.

WWII in HD...the war from an American perspective. Some of the footage is really graphic.

Greatest Event of WWII - focuses on the some of the most important events of WWII..mostly important battles such as Pearl Harbor, Stalingrad, Midway & D-Day but then also other events such as the Dresden bombing and the liberation of Buchenwald
Few more Netflix shows worth watching...

Medal of Honor - the bravery and courage of some of these individuals is absolutely beyond comprehension. 40MM Americans have served in the armed forces. There have been 3,600 Medal of Honor winners.

Tokyo Trial - the pacific equivalent of the Nuremberg trials...

Five Who Came Back - Story of five very well-known directors (Frank Capra, John Ford, William Wyler, John Huston, George Stevens) and how they chronicled WWII on behalf of the Armed forces

For those of you who like to cook: Chef's Table...

Home Game - Documentary about unique traditional sports from around the world including Calcio Storico - a five-hundred year old tradition in Florence, Italy which is a mixture of soccer and MMA (I kid you not - no flopping in this game)...

Hollywood was just a meandering movie.. But I thought Pitt was excellent. If the whole movie had been his char they would have had something

I am in the process of rewatching Ken Burns' Jazz series.

A tentative list of upcoming Ken Burns docs. I can't wait.

• Hemingway (2021, with Lynn Novick)[67]
  • Ali (2021, with Sarah Burns and David McMahon)[68]
  • The Holocaust & the United States (working title) (2021, with Lynn Novick and Sarah Botstein)[69]
  • Benjamin Franklin (2022)[70]
  • Leonardo da Vinci (2025)[71]
  • The American Revolution (2025)[71]
  • LBJ & the Great Society (2027, with Lynn Novick)[72]
  • Stand-up Comedy (TBA)[73]
  • The American Buffalo (TBA)[71]
  • The History of Reconstruction (TBA)[71]
  • Winston Churchill (TBA)[71]

How about a Charles Bronson Action set:

The Magnificent 7
The Great Escape
The Dirty Dozen

All within a very tight timeframe.

3 very solid choices there.

I think the key is - when Bronson is A guy, and not THE guy, with a lot of talent around him, he’s exceptional in his role.

Kinda like Melo in the Olympics. :cool:

Few more Netflix shows worth watching...

Medal of Honor - the bravery and courage of some of these individuals is absolutely beyond comprehension. 40MM Americans have served in the armed forces. There have been 3,600 Medal of Honor winners.

Tokyo Trial - the pacific equivalent of the Nuremberg trials...

Five Who Came Back - Story of five very well-known directors (Frank Capra, John Ford, William Wyler, John Huston, George Stevens) and how they chronicled WWII on behalf of the Armed forces

For those of you who like to cook: Chef's Table...

Home Game - Documentary about unique traditional sports from around the world including Calcio Storico - a five-hundred year old tradition in Florence, Italy which is a mixture of soccer and MMA (I kid you not - no flopping in this game)...

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner with David Chang and a celebrity visiting a city on Netflix is good.

His series "Ugly Delicious" gets a little preachy and argumentative in a food snob kind of way, because the co-star is a NY Times restaurant reviewer who helped make Chang and Momofuku famous, and later wrote a cookbook together. Those shows were kind of clunky. Too food nerdy.

But the new series is really fun. First episode is David and Seth Rogen getting baked and then wandering around Vancouver eating tons of foods at all sorts of places. Who knew that Vancouver in the 1980s and earlier was a haven for Chinese and other Asian immigrants? Great show, Give it a try,

Last edited:

The Magnificent 7
The Great Escape
The Dirty Dozen

That's a really fun bunch of movies right there!
That would be a hell of a Saturday binge!
Kudos, sir.

Just saw Knives Out. Wasn't super impressed by it. Maybe had too big of expectations as I've read such glowing things about it. Thought it was sort of meh.

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner with David Chang and a celebrity visiting a city on Netflix is good.
His series "Ugly Delicious" gets a little preachy and argumentative in a food snob kind of way, because the co-star is a NY Times restaurant reviewer who helped make Chang and Momofuku famous, and later wrote a cookbook together. Those shows were kind of clunky. Too food nerdy.

But the new series is really fun. First episode is David and Seth Rogen getting baked and then wandering around Vancouver eating tons of foods at all sorts of places. Who knew that Vancouver in the 1980s and earlier was a haven for Chinese and other Asian immigrants? Great show, Give it a try,
Will do. Thx for tip.

greyhound for a failry low budget movie was pretty intense, good job of showing how hectic it was during the battles. not really any super creative story, but very watchable

Just saw Knives Out. Wasn't super impressed by it. Maybe had too big of expectations as I've read such glowing things about it. Thought it was sort of meh.
do you like agatha cristie type movies?

Watched Waves yesterday on a flight. Had read it was great and it was. Pretty appropriate for our current times as well.

I recommend Kung Fu Hustle. Campy, funny, Lots of action, and stylish in a Kung fu sort of way. Directed by Stephen Chow who also directed Shaolin Soccer, another classic. It’s on Netflix.

Watch it - you won’t regret it.

Last edited:
Watched Athlete A tonight. Extremely disturbing, but a very powerful documentary.

Just finished The Hunt and it was fantastic. Loved it. Surprising first 10 minutes.

Would love some sort sequel or even a prequel.

Also watched Scoob, kind of had to since scooby is my favorite cartoon of all time and man was it a let down. Animation was great and scooby voice but man the plot was weak, the opening like 10-15 minutes was decent but man it lacked hard core after that.
Is the Hunt on Netflix?

Has anyone here watched The Nightingale? It's very intense but might be the best movie I've watched in the past 5 years.

The Magnificent 7
The Great Escape
The Dirty Dozen

If you like The Magnificent 7, try and find the original: The Seven Samarai by Kurasawa. Same story, different place and time. There were other westerns based on Kurasawa's flims, also. A Fist Full of Dollars was a remake of Yojimbo. While The Magnificent 7 and The Seven Samarai are comparable, Yojimbo is a better movie than A Fist Full of Dollars.

I don't believe so. It takes place in Tasmania when it was a British penal colony.
huh-huh-huh-he-said-penal.jpg

Banana Split - the latest movie filmed in Syracuse just released on Netflix. Very raunchy, but pretty funny. It’s like girl version of Superbad but some cool Syracuse scenes in it - Heids, otro Cinco, palace theatre, old Liverpool high school and a few others ...

Will do. Thx for tip.
So, I watched Narcos Mexico and am now watching Narcos (both on Netflix)...

The former is about the growth of the drug trade in Mexico during the mid-eighties and the rise of Felix Gallardo.

The latter is about the birth, and growth, of the cocaine trade in Columbia in the late 70s and into the 80s. It focuses (so far) on Pablo Escobar.

Both shows are reality-based shows. Think 75% entertainment, 25% documentary.

Holy Christ. What Escobar did to the country of Columbia. Basically able to start a brutal civil war. Fascinating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom