Moving forward from the loss today... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Moving forward from the loss today...

We're going to get more respect when we beat their ass next year in the dome.
Let’s hope! May be a while until we play them again after 2023.

People thinking we can run him 20-30 times in a game right now are literally bonkers. And Lequint Allen, as much as I love his potential, is a true frosh and there is a significant drop off there right now.

So your argument is that he can only run a handful of times, but we should still have him on the field for like 40-50 snaps a game, because...?

I think his argument is that we don't have another option at RB, so using him as a decoy is the best we have right now.
I have a tough time believing we only have one RB on the roster capable of stepping on the field.

So your argument is that he can only run a handful of times, but we should still have him on the field for like 40-50 snaps a game, because...?
Because he’s still a threat even if you don’t go to him and teams need to respect that. This isn’t rocket science.

The rest of the depth chart doesn’t demand that respect nor should they.

I have a tough time believing we only have one RB on the roster capable of stepping on the field.
I have a tough time believing that that should be the case. However, if the coaches thought they had, don't you think they'd play him?

Because he’s still a threat even if you don’t go to him and teams need to respect that. This isn’t rocket science.
If that's the case then why weren't holes opening up for Shrader to pick up some yards on the ground in the second half? Or why weren't receivers running open?

I have a tough time believing that that should be the case. However, if the coaches thought they had, don't you think they'd play him?
I mean, that's the issue then right? Like, unless these kids are fumbling the ball left and right in practice, you've got to be able to get them a few handoffs to see what they can do. And if their ball security is that bad at this point in the process, then that's a coaching issue too, right?

I mean, that's the issue then right? Like, unless these kids are fumbling the ball left and right in practice, you've got to be able to get them a few handoffs to see what they can do. And if their ball security is that bad at this point in the process, then that's a coaching issue too, right?
I doubt it's ball security. Maybe they're just not that good. Allen is young. Maybe he just needs to grow and learn. Maybe Price passes the look test but just isn't that good with the ball in his hands.

I doubt it's ball security. Maybe they're just not that good. Allen is young. Maybe he just needs to grow and learn. Maybe Price passes the look test but just isn't that good with the ball in his hands.
Then they needed to be given a chance. What's the worst that happens? They get dropped for a 1-2 yard loss a few times? Our offense was going nowhere for long stretches in the second half, and situationally running the ball would have been good.

Worst coaching of the year and that’s saying a TON.

Feel bad for the players. They had that game won, coaches lost it for them.
Yeah I guess that they had no part in building a 21-10 lead. When you need 7 to block 4, things become very difficult, not to mention the differential in yardage

Did you see Lequint Allen in the game? He’s not physically developed enough yet to be effective against a team like this with NFL level DLinemen. He can’t shake those tackles like Tucker can even when Tucker is 85% or whatever his health level is now. That’s the point here. Bringing in a guy who isn’t going to get past the line of scrimmage is actually worse than using Tucker in a limited capacity like they did because Tucker in a limited capacity is better than most RB’s in college football.

Did you see Lequint Allen in the game? He’s not physically developed enough yet to be effective against a team like this with NFL level DLinemen. He can’t shake those tackles like Tucker can even when Tucker is 85% or whatever his health level is now. That’s the point here. Bringing in a guy who isn’t going to get past the line of scrimmage is actually worse than using Tucker in a limited capacity like they did because Tucker in a limited capacity is better than most RB’s in college football.

He can't get a ton of carries but he needs to get a handful. Going pass happy against Clemson is suicide.

Really stinks that Lutz, Howard, and Adams all left. We really need a transfer at RB for next year, even if just for depth.

He can't get a ton of carries but he needs to get a handful. Going pass happy against Clemson is suicide.

Really stinks that Lutz, Howard, and Adams all left. We really need a transfer at RB for next year, even if just for depth.
Howard and Adams yes. Lutz wasn’t contributing and isn’t at his new school.

If that's the case then why weren't holes opening up for Shrader to pick up some yards on the ground in the second half? Or why weren't receivers running open?
Because right now we have 1 receiver in OG, and the only other dependable receiver is Tucker. Until someone else which hasn't happened in 7 games steps up we have OG, Tucker, and Shrader.
That's not the coaches fault it's on the rest of the WR on the team.

could be not wanting to use him in hostile environment?

So firing the guy that got us to 6-0 is the answer
That’s just crazy talk
Coaches did not lose the game, sure some dumb things. Player mistakes and stupid penalties cost us the game.
Big Nasty is a troll, ignore his posts.

Irish are going to be a handful. I can see our team coming out flat, falling behind early, and the crowd willing them back into it. Coming down to the final drive like today.

They had Ohio St on the ropes. They have not been consistent, but they played well vs unlv and will be coming into this with some newfound confidence.

Please, everyone, stop with the assumption that this is going to be an easy game. This is going to be a dogfight and the coaches and captains have a huge task to get this team to refocus on Monday.

I think Howard could have been a difference maker in this game. Agree 100%. We clearly don’t have a physical back to spell Tucker. I was hoping Juwaun Price could be that guy but doesn’t appear that way - at least this season anyway.

Potential emotional overreaction? Yes. But I’m shocked more people on here aren’t being critical of the boneheaded play call the entire 2nd half.
People are being critical on here, but you're a little unhinged.

Then they needed to be given a chance. What's the worst that happens? They get dropped for a 1-2 yard loss a few times? Our offense was going nowhere for long stretches in the second half, and situationally running the ball would have been good.
I suppose. They did run Allen once. He's had a carry here or there earlier in the season. It doesn't bode well that he's getting fewer plays now than earlier in the year. With the starter likely banged up and him ideally getting more comfortable during practice as the season wears on, it would make sense that he would get more run, not less. It all suggests the coaches don't think he can cut it right now.

What's more concerning is that Price couldn't beat Allen out. If the freshman beats out the older, more experienced, more physically mature player, that should mean he's good enough to contribute. If he can't contribute, what does that say about the older guy?

could be not wanting to use him in hostile environment?
Maybe, but that doesn't explain his lack of playing time prior to this. If he's good enough, the games leading up to this should have been preparing him for it. The staff hasn't been shy about playing freshman in the past, and they gave him a carry early in this game. Maybe he's just not that good. He's young, so maybe he will be. But maybe he's not yet. If they're afraid to play a true freshman in a hostile environment, why don't we see Price? He has college experience as a starter.

Allen is a stud. No reason not to play him more to spell tucker .

Allen is a stud. No reason not to play him more to spell tucker .
I'm convinced of that yet, but I wish we'd get to see him more so we could find out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom