Moyer Attracting Offers | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Moyer Attracting Offers

Losing Matthew Moyer like that suggests to me that there is something wrong with Orange basketball.
Not in the W's & L's.
But in the way the program sees itself and its mission.

Moyer is the kind of kid SU - or any team - should have been glad and proud to have and keep.
He wanted to be there, he seemed to care about academics and he worked and played hard.

Limited upside...perhaps.
But he's the kind of kid who could have developed into one of those 4-year contributors the Orange have developed (or used to) over the years.

Instead, he obviously had his mind made up to leave as soon as the season was over.
Something drove him away.
Maybe Boeheim's public comments...maybe more.
But it's wrong.

If we're just about W's and L's... we shouldn't complain about tactics other places use to land players.
We shouldn't care about one and dones.
And we probably shouldn't pretend to be a real "college" team.
Because college and the college experience apparently mean little, if anything.

And I'm honestly sad about that and about losing a guy like Matthew Moyer.
Because it means that when you get right down to it, my alma mater team stands for little.

I agree with some of what you're saying here -- I really prefer college basketball to be rid of players leaving early to the NBA. Eliminate that and the dynamic returns to more of a college athlete focus. This applies to ALL D1 programs, though, not just our alma mater.

Omg this is goofy. If a kid left over coach comments in a press conference good riddance

It was more than that. It was publicly disputing just how injured the player was, and the family intervening to make him sit out.

For the record, Boeheim had the same problem with the Grant family. He was just brutal to McCullough, once he started hearing the draft projections, and he never supported Tyler Roberson as a player, always killed him in press conferences.

It was more than that. It was publicly disputing just how injured the player was, and the family intervening to make him sit out.

For the record, Boeheim had the same problem with the Grant family. He was just brutal to McCullough, once he started hearing the draft projections, and he never supported Tyler Roberson as a player, always killed him in press conferences.

A typical laundry list of complaints in which JB is the villain.

See the pattern here?

I hear the Ithaca Bombers need fan support.

The kid is changing the arc of his life over a sprained ankle. I understand what happened there was unfortunate, but it was just an ankle sprain, even a really bad one. The coach was a bit of a jerk about it, but people are like that in life. Kid would get on the court, get burned, get off the court.

I'd rather have the Newhouse degree.

Not sure how this was about respect. JB plays the guys who produce the most and he doesn't give bench players minutes just to participate. He has always done that. Moyer wasn't treated any differently.

JB threw him under the bus at a press conference. That’s 100% about a lack of respect.

He left because he had zero shot to see the court next year with Bazley/Oshae/Marek ahead of him. Boeheim could have offered to be his butler and clean his apartment on south and it would have made no difference if he would have only played with the walkons next year.

Obviously more PT has opened up at his position since his announcement but he isn't nostradamus.

The self fulfilling prophecy is that once you get into JBs dog house, you stay there for four years unless he had no other option.

His actions say that it’s easier to disgard a player than to work with him to get better. It’s been this way at SU since I walked on campus in 1980 and it will remain that way until he retires.

The kid is changing the arc of his life over a sprained ankle. I understand what happened there was unfortunate, but it was just an ankle sprain, even a really bad one. The coach was a bit of a jerk about it, but people are like that in life. Kid would get on the court, get burned, get off the court.

I'd rather have the Newhouse degree.

Why does he need a 'degree' from Newhouse? People will remember him as a former Orangeman and know he attended classes there for 2 years and he'll have a 4 year Com degree from another top university. Hes a top 100 recruit he'd have to have a serious degenerative injury issue like Dejuan to even think about staying here and likely only playing garbage time with the walkons. From a basketball perspective he will seriously benefit from leaving the ACC, dropping down a bit in terms of competition, taking a year to get the ankle and knee 100%, and coming back bigger, older, and more athletic than anyone else on the court. Don't even think he has to go down to the MAC or A10 Stanford, Vandy, or Northwestern will be happy to have him and give him 30 mins a game.
The self fulfilling prophecy is that once you get into JBs dog house, you stay there for four years unless he had no other option.

His actions say that it’s easier to disgard a player than to work with him to get better. It’s been this way at SU since I walked on campus in 1980 and it will remain that way until he retires.

Its been a long time since he put a good player in his dog house. He's no longer doing it to guys like Otis Hill or Jeremy McNeil.

Tyler Roberson is the last one to get it and he totally deserved it. That kid was so terrible as a senior who entered the year on some draft boards and had some moments prior. Still want to strangle him for the LVille game. Might as well have shot free throws with his eyes closed. How does a senior regress that badly?

Moyer couldn't even give us a few minutes vs Duke when Marek picked up 2 instead of having a nice half time lead we were down 5 because of him. We supposed to stop recruiting better players at his position when hes not that good to begin with so he can turn it around? We need shooters and he can't hit free throws. Good teammate and was a hustle player who made some contributions this year and a few nice plays and helped us win a couple games but IMO the ship is better used elsewhere. No hard feelings I don't put much stock into offcourt heresay as a Cuse fan.

BJ is the only recent transfer that we missed. Wish he stayed and the PT would have opened up with Gbinije never playing another minute at the 3 again after 2015. If he just redshirted as a freshman he probably goes down as one of our best all time players he'd have been a better Southerland. Everyone else recent who has left due to PT its shocking that they were ever ranked that highly out of HS to get a Cuse offer.

The flaw in this thinking is that it assumes JB puts players in the dog house for lack of ability or talent. He doesn't. He puts players in the dog house for lack of effort. If you end up on JB's bad side, it's probably because the gap between your ability and your production is enormous.

This post is inaccurate. So so so inaccurate.

There are so many examples of guys who had a quick hook or were deep in the doghouse who eventually became solid contributors or some even became stars.

Last edited:
The flaw in this thinking is that it assumes JB puts players in the dog house for lack of ability or talent. He doesn't. He puts players in the dog house for lack of effort. If you end up on JB's bad side, it's probably because the gap between your ability and your production is enormous.

Or it’s probably because he’s allowed to be vindictive

Frank Howard, Fab Melo, and Kueth Duany are the first three that come to mind.

And many others who had quick hooks but became solid to great players.

Okay. We’ll disagree.

Disagree. It was about respect. Matt respected SU, wanted to be here. Wanted to contribute. Was willing to work his ass off to get some playing time. Came back while still injured.

And got thrown under the bus by his coach...that’s why he left...

So every time someone makes a comment that someone doesn't like, the best solution is to run and hide? That seems like a cowardly move to me, and most people will be running their entire lives away.

Okay. We’ll disagree.

So then your take is:

You don’t think Frank was in the doghouse? Or you don’t think JB has done anything to help him improve his game? Or both?

Frank Howard, Fab Melo, and Kueth Duany are the first three that come to mind.

And many others who had quick hooks but became solid to great players.

Rakeem Christmas was the nation's best big man his senior year. He routinely got the hook. Shame it took him so long to put it all together.

So wrong. Scoop, Frank Howard, Rony Seikaly, Rakeem Christmas, Otis Hill etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom