Moyer Attracting Offers | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Moyer Attracting Offers

There's "Facebook Public" and then there's "Television Public". Those are 2 different things.
Technically it’s not “Television Public,” it’s “Streaming Public.” Few people outside of Cuse Nation saw the press conference. It wasn’t picked up by ESPN like some of JB’s other controversial remarks. It wasn’t a national story at all.

Matthew Moyer is losing a year of eligibility to leave.
He is getting interest from P5 schools.
He wants an elite education.
Why the bleep is he leaving?

Do you just pretend the press conference after the 2nd Wake Forest game never happened?
There are two factors at odds with each other. One, JB was out of line in his post game comments. Two, Matt wasn't very good and will really not be missed as a player. You yourself wrote how the difference in the Duke game was when Marek went out. Who came in? I think his starting hurt the team earlier in the year. He was just too limited. Great, great kid. his family should have been treated with more respect. But he really wasn't a very good player and it will be interesting to see where he ends up and how much he plays there.

But... Jimmy didn't know how to coach him?
I guess Matt was good enough in high school that Jimmy wanted him. But he wasn't smart enough go grok our scheme... Uncoachable! SAD!
Which results are speaking? The last week, or the 11th place conference finish?
The 11th place finish this year is what defines JB's coaching history?? lol

There are two factors at odds with each other. One, JB was out of line in his post game comments. Two, Matt wasn't very good and will really not be missed as a player. You yourself wrote how the difference in the Duke game was when Marek went out. Who came in? I think his starting hurt the team earlier in the year. He was just too limited. Great, great kid. his family should have been treated with more respect. But he really wasn't a very good player and it will be interesting to see where he ends up and how much he plays there.
Everything you said here is correct.

The difference from the JB can do no wrong crew is you acknowledge his wrong and lay out the truth the kid had ways to go to be a player.

Edit: I don’t think Moyer is gone right now if not for the comments.

He is only a rFr he could have improved into a role player.

I didn’t say that I expect/don’t expect anything. Just curious about the typical level of communication between parents and staff at that level of ball.
You don't stop being a parent when your kid goes to college.

Everything you said here is correct.

The difference from the JB can do no wrong crew is you acknowledge his wrong and lay out the truth the kid had ways to go to be a player.

Edit: I don’t think Moyer is gone right now if not for the comments.

He is only a rFr he could have improved into a role player.
Yes, he could have. I liked the kid and wished he had stayed. I was actually sad that he left and can't remember feeling that way before in the 45 plus years that I have watched SU hoop. Having said that, we won't miss his play. Even in a few years.

Yes, he could have. I liked the kid and wished he had stayed. I was actually sad that he left and can't remember feeling that way before in the 45 plus years that I have watched SU hoop. Having said that, we won't miss his play. Even in a few years.

Agreed. Just don’t see it in terms of basketball with him. It’s a disappointing and a bit sad yes since the kid bled Orange and the whole ankle/family issue was a debacle and unfortunate. Yet another miss.

I might also add, there is no comparison between a Newhouse degree and a Xavier degree. No offense to them.
I think he goes to Vanderbilt. If it’s X he clearly didn’t go for elite education.

You aren't happy with making the tournament and getting to the sweet sixteen with all the challenges this team faced? Would you have been happier to be, let's say, UVA? Great regular season that crew. You think they're bragging about getting results this off season?

So it’s Boeheim’s fault that the kid didn’t get the job done? Lol. The same Boeheim that led this ragtag bunch to the sweet 16, and has proven to be quite effective at his job(Hall of famer and all)? Cmon.

Always ‘funny’ when debating simple logic triggers the ‘loyalists,’ who then don’t bother to deal with the actual arguments.

Not sure how you can insist upon having it ‘both ways’ all the time. You said, “Jimmy knows how to coach” in response to Cuse Action’s statement that “Moyer is attracting offers from a lot of quality programs. Interesting that they see something in the kid.”

So, Jimmy initially also ‘saw something in the kid.’ But, then what happened? Jimmy knows how to coach, but couldn’t get that something out of the kid? Or, are you blaming the kid? Oh, and then you proceeded to insult the OP, because he said JB ‘ran moyer out.’ So, which is it? When JB has a success, it’s all from JB. When there’s a player ‘failure’—performing below (our) expectations, a transfer, early NBA stuff—that’s all on the player. And even though there have been an inordinate number of such ‘failures’ with our program, they’re never on JB, right? Another example: Marek. Marek really developed those last few games. Boeheim apologists will assert that "JB gets the most out of a player." But, to concede that, you have to believe that that player could not/should not have been better an an earlier stage. I/others might suggest that those simple things that Marek began to be competent at, he should have been competent at much sooner. Perspective.

And again—so it’s clear, because it’s obvious you either don’t understand or don’t care—i’m debating logic, not facts, because there are no facts. Not that we will actually know. This, to me, is about objectivity, perspectives, and the psychology of it all.

Back to Moyer. Moyer was good enough in High School to be a recruiting target for us. Wasn’t he Mr Basketball in Ohio or some such? He’s a high character kid. Very intelligent. But, somehow, uncoachable now?

So, now to your deflections and spin. You laced them all together into one simple conglomeration of ‘perspective,’ i can’t answer them that way. Am i happy with making the tournament. I wouldn’t call it ‘happy.’ Relieved, maybe? Glad, definitely. But, no, not “Happy” to see us on the bubble. Again. Discussed ad nauseam in the media as being a bubble team again. Not happy to see us in a Play In Game(!). I felt like Jim Mora. Play In Game? Play In? We’re talkin’ about a Play In Game? I always thought of play in games as being for teams like South by Southwest Cactus Tech. But, Syracuse in a play in game? Oy. And before you completely absorb your panties, don’t get me wrong. Again. Getting in is better, of course, than not. But, a play in game doesn’t make me “happy.”

Next. UVA. Let’s get this out of the way. Yes. I’d have been happier being UVA. And here’s where ‘perspective’ comes back in. This site is its own bubble. Of all the people i know who are SU Alums and basketball heads, most don’t think the way the JB Loyalists do here. So, don’t think that this site always represents objectivity, truth, or the full demographic. Anyway, yeah, i think UVA had the better season. People here used “Sweet Sixteen” to feel better about the season. I don’t need to ‘feel better.’ I want to feel ‘accurately.’ And maybe i just have different objectives than you do.

My ‘objective’ (as if i had anything to do with it) is to have a team that is good enough to win a National Championship. The second ‘bar’ is not so much a standard as an accomplishment. A team that reaches the Final Four is a ‘bar’ for me. Sweet Sixteen isn’t one. Seems like a cute bit of marketing business. But, whatever. So, we won a play-in game against another team that had a not very successful season. How did i feel about that? Again, relieved. Glad. But, i didn’t take it as some great sign of success. We should have won that game. Right? Then TCU. They had the same number of wins as us, but in a lame(r) conference. So, again, relief, gladness, not a sense of tremendous accomplishment. We did what we should have done. MSU. That was a big win. Again, relief, and a bit of happiness, i guess. But, watching the actual game, and not relying solely on their seeding or yearlong rankings? I didn’t see a great team in them. We can say ‘the zone shut down their two stars.’ I’ll concede that. But, they had no guard play. To me, it’s incredibly surprising that they were so good all year, but whatever.

The perspective thing again…. In those three games, commentators harped on the fact that we play a zone. And any time it did anything, they’d pounce on another threadbare opportunity to mention that we play zone, and how much it has been stifling the opponent. Even after the first game(?), they were ranting about it. And then they showed the stats. On my (bad) memory, it was something like we held them to 38% FG percentage for the game. Whoa! Amazing defense! But, then, right next to it was the stat that they held us to 36%. And no one ever mentioned that they were doing it with M2M…. Same with the second game, and the third….. That’s the way it is. Commentators throw out that simple nugget because it’s simple and easy to recognize and digest, but other teams are defending us better than we’re defending them, and because M2M is the ‘industry standard’/default, it’s invisible somehow. One of those first two teams held all three of our three highest scoring players under their averages, and no one mentioned it. Battle was pretty well contained, and no one mentioned it….

What percentage of the Final Four's teams' defense is zone? When we reach a FF, it's because of the zone, but for everyone else, it's not because of M2M? Where's Duke right now, with all of their superstars, using their stolen zone?

Okay, so back to UVA. To me, a Sweet Sixteen is a nice thing. It’s a couple of weeks of enjoyment for our fans. But, it doesn’t indicate the quality of the team. UVA had a team that was good enough to win the entire thing. We didn’t. So, to assert that we had a better ‘season’ than they did because they happened to go out in the first round seems odd to me. I get it—that if your primary objective is to win the Championship, then each step along the way is a ‘credit,’ and they earned no credits. And now they’re also a footnote and commentators will be talking about them being the first to lose to a 16. And each time they do that, they’ll be mentioning that they were a No. 1 seed. While, honestly, i don’t believe anyone outside of our bubble really gives a damn that we made the Sweet 16. It’s not going to be impressive to recruits—who will also look at our 11th place conference finish. And bubble status. So, i asked, how do you reconcile the season? It's a question, not an assertion, but so many of your are so sensitive about anyone questioning anything related to Orange... Finishing so far down in-conference should surely be telling about the quality of our program this year. But, it also wasn’t an aberration. Last year, the year before, the year before….. How many middle of the pack and below seasons do we have to sustain before we actually are that team? Yeah, i’ll take UVA’s wire to wire top-rankedness. Wire to wire excellence. Each game, going into it knowing you’ll win. No team controversies. Playing a (slightly) more exciting game. With a coach of the year. And doing it with only one player recruited out of the top 50 (i think). And they’ll be there again next year.

The Challenges. The kid that dropped out. I don’t know the entire situation there. There was discussion about a medical issue partially related to his injury. And then speculation about his dissatisfaction with minutes. Part of a coach’s responsibility is in managing a player. We’ve had a lot of defections for one reason or another, so i can’t fully trust that all of these issues are the fault of the player. I don’t know what discussions were had, or what the player expected in terms of time, but i can absolutely see that he wasn’t happy with his time, given his status/age/year. The injuries…. Sidibe was affected. Washington wouldn’t have played much. Other teams have injuries, too. So, it’s all a part of the fabric of the season. I’m challenged to recognize which games/if any were affected by not having Howard Washington, and i’m not going to speculate on how much more effective Sidibe could have been, since he still would have been splitting minutes with Chukwu, and Chukwu did develop a bit toward the end.

But, again, this goes into perspective, and how you want to look at things. If we were good enough to beat Michigan State, why weren’t we good enough to win a few of those games we lost to inferior teams? If you give JB credit for being ‘the master’ in the tournament, are you also suggesting he only ‘turned it on’ at the end? Why not be the master in the lead-up, so that we’re not on the bubble? So that we win more conference games? Looking at some of the comments, it’s like people are suggesting JB is playing 3D chess, showing only enough to get us into the field, so that we can spring our vaunted 2-3 on them and confuse them into losing to us. So, if you consider a Sweet Sixteen a ‘run’ into a successful season, how do you then ignore what happened before that? And didn’t we ‘suffer’ for four months before the two week ‘glee period?’ That doesn’t matter?

“The team greatly overachieved.”
Well, no. Not so much. We finished with a win total and conference standing that was pretty close to what the consensus here predicted. And we were on the bubble, which is what just about everyone predicted. I don’t think anyone here, even the most diehard debbie downers, thinks we can’t win a couple of games once we get into the NCAA field. And that’s what we did. And then we shocked Michigan State. To some, that seems to overwrite everything before it. To others, it was a big/lovely/beautiful win. Period. Perspective. The only thing that bothers me about one of those perspectives is the insistence that everyone should feel the same way, and the incredulity when that doesn’t happen.

“Boeheim led this ragtag bunch to the sweet 16, and has proven to be quite effective at his job.”
Ooof. Ragtag bunch. We had two players who will be drafted into the NBA. Not a lot of our opponents had that. We had a 7’2” center who JB said last year was going to be a significant disruptor and “block a lot of shots.” We had a pro from a euro league. We had a junior point guard. A first team all acc freshman PF. A Jordan Brand Game backup center (however hobbled). Against anyone in our league not called Duke or North Carolina, that’s not a ragtag bunch. But, again, Sweet 16—music to some ears. But, in most cases, it only takes two wins to reach it. Beautiful that we did, but not an indicator of team quality, in my estimation. We were not a better team than UVA. Saying JB has proven to be quite effective isn’t the same as saying he is effective. We were 8-10 in conference. 8-10! Look at the teams that finished ahead of us, and tell me you were satisfied with the season. 9th the year before. 10th the year before that. 8th before that. That’s “quite effective?” We have one ACC tournament win. That’s “quite effective?” So, perspective….

People want to believe certain things, and they tend to look for ways to believe them.

What matters most here? A sweet sixteen. Does that build our program? Is that something that will be impressive to a recruit? Versus being ranked in the top three for an entire season, even with a tourney flameout. Was our sweet sixteen really that gratifying to you? Because why? Do you consider ASU and TCU to have been significant accomplishments? MSU, sure, i get that, but how do you need to weight those three wins to override the rest of the year? That’s an earnest question.

Again—instead of flaming the person, how about discussing the arguments. Or, whatever. I don't care. Some of this is from conversations i've been having with alums (real fans who are just as dedicated as you lot, but don't park themselves here because of the "unreasoned fanaticism")... So, have at it.

The 11th place finish this year is what defines JB's coaching history?? lol
It takes a special kind of 'spin' to not recognize that the 'contrast' was between "last week" versus this year's "11th place." How did you project that to "coaching history?" Desperate, man.

Amending this:
As i just wrote, this year was 11th. The prior years were 9th, 10th, and 8th.
Even if you look at JB's entire career, don't you have to recognize the 'tail end' of the chart? And then reconcile that with age, maybe? For a lot of people, the Sweet 16 was some sort of redemption. People who were silent during the 8-10 conference jumped up to proclaim, "See! He's not too old! He's the master!" I don't think any coach has a 'trajectory' where they were most effective in the few years before retirement. It's a matter of 'perspective' as to where JB is right now in terms of effectiveness. But, it's not a statistically relevant matter to assert that 'if he was successful over 40 years that he will only continue to get better/smarter/wiser.' Are we in the decline or not?

Last edited:
It takes a special kind of 'spin' to not recognize that the 'contrast' was between "last week" versus this year's "11th place." How did you project that to "coaching history?" Desperate, man.
Your post above this one was fair and really detailed.

Dasher is among the fairest posters here. He calls it the way it is. His post is fair. We finished this year really tied for 9th and just were seeded 11th because of tiebreakers.

She has no reason to lie.
I trust the family.
I believe Moyer feels burned and is leaving.
Does he feel burned or is he frustrated because he knows he may not be as good as he thought?

You brought up the 11th place finish as some sort of barometer of JB's coaching. I don't think it is a fair thing to do. Neither does any other sane person.

You brought up the 11th place finish as some sort of barometer of JB's coaching. I don't think it is a fair thing to do. Neither does any other sane person.
The people i talk to seem pretty "sane" to me. But, if i'm insane, i guess i'm not the best judge.

Not sure why it's not relevant. What's more relevant? Winning a couple of games against teams we wouldn't have bragged about beating during the regular season? But, doing it in March makes us better? What's a better indicator of a team's quality? Consistent excellence during a season-long campaign or a single-elimination tournament with seeds that don't really reflect anything after you get below a certain point?

Yeah, i do think 11th place is a valid metric. As are 10th, 8th, 9th, etc. If you can consider our 2nd place finish in the first year of ACC participation some sort of badge, then yeah, the middle of the pack and below have the same validity. How is it irrational to not access the regular season? Those games don't count? That, to me, is insane. Those games are how you get a tourney participation. They determine your seeding. They determine your Top 25 ranking. Which determines y0ur television exposure. Which determines y0ur attractiveness to recruits. Which determine the quality of your team in seasons thereafter.

Well, no. Not so much. We finished with a win total and conference standing that was pretty close to what the consensus here predicted. And we were on the bubble, which is what just about everyone predicted. I don’t think anyone here, even the most diehard debbie downers, thinks we can’t win a couple of games once we get into the NCAA field. And that’s what we did. And then we shocked Michigan State. To some, that seems to overwrite everything before it. To others, it was a big/lovely/beautiful win. Period. Perspective. The only thing that bothers me about one of those perspectives is the insistence that everyone should feel the same way, and the incredulity when that doesn’t happen.

“Boeheim led this ragtag bunch to the sweet 16, and has proven to be quite effective at his job.”
Ooof. Ragtag bunch. We had two players who will be drafted into the NBA. Not a lot of our opponents had that. We had a 7’2” center who JB said last year was going to be a significant disruptor and “block a lot of shots.” We had a pro from a euro league. We had a junior point guard. A first team all acc freshman PF. A Jordan Brand Game backup center (however hobbled). Against anyone in our league not called Duke or North Carolina, that’s not a ragtag bunch. But, again, Sweet 16—music to some ears. But, in most cases, it only takes two wins to reach it. Beautiful that we did, but not an indicator of team quality, in my estimation. We were not a better team than UVA. Saying JB has proven to be quite effective isn’t the same as saying he is effective. We were 8-10 in conference. 8-10! Look at the teams that finished ahead of us, and tell me you were satisfied with the season. 9th the year before. 10th the year before that. 8th before that. That’s “quite effective?” We have one ACC tournament win. That’s “quite effective?” So, perspective….

Yes, team greatly overachieved. Expectations were not high for this season from anyone objective. You want to pump up all the players to make them sound great, so you can pretend like Boeheim didn’t overachieve with this group, then go for it. I’m not buying it though. I, and many others, were on record hoping they could keep the winning seasons streak going. That’s it. I was thrilled they played competitively against basically everyone all year, and even more thrilled they made the tournament. Making the sweet 16? Amazing job by this team and coach.

Ragtag bunch...yup. One good returning player and a bunch of freshman and bench players who struggled badly prior to this year. Very young group. No depth. Injuries. Guys playing way more than they typically would at this point in their careers. Again, you want to hype everyone up to make them sound great(news to me that we’ve already got 2 NBA players, and lol at making Marek sound like he was some pro ringer like Andrew Gaze) that’s your business. Doesn’t mean it’s reality.

Boeheim has proven to be quite effective at his job. You don’t get to just cherry pick the bad things to question that. The whole picture suggests he can coach quite effectively. Some middle of the pack league finishes capped by a final four and sweet 16 while on probation and playing in the deepest league in the history of the sport don’t change that.

The people i talk to seem pretty "sane" to me. But, if i'm insane, i guess i'm not the best judge.

Not sure why it's not relevant. What's more relevant? Winning a couple of games against teams we wouldn't have bragged about beating during the regular season? But, doing it in March makes us better? What's a better indicator of a team's quality? Consistent excellence during a season-long campaign or a single-elimination tournament with seeds that don't really reflect anything after you get below a certain point?

Yeah, i do think 11th place is a valid metric. As are 10th, 8th, 9th, etc. If you can consider our 2nd place finish in the first year of ACC participation some sort of badge, then yeah, the middle of the pack and below have the same validity. How is it irrational to not access the regular season? Those games don't count? That, to me, is insane. Those games are how you get a tourney participation. They determine your seeding. They determine your Top 25 ranking. Which determines y0ur television exposure. Which determines y0ur attractiveness to recruits. Which determine the quality of your team in seasons thereafter.

I didn’t read that entire long post above, but while deleting text so I could reply only to the parts that seemed to be addressed to me I caught that you said you’d rather have Virginia’s season than ours. Fair enough. That said, you must have been pretty happy with our 2013–14 season at least, right?

Your post above this one was fair and really detailed.

Dasher is among the fairest posters here. He calls it the way it is. His post is fair. We finished this year really tied for 9th and just were seeded 11th because of tiebreakers.
Always ‘funny’ when debating simple logic triggers the ‘loyalists,’ who then don’t bother to deal with the actual arguments.

Not sure how you can insist upon having it ‘both ways’ all the time. You said, “Jimmy knows how to coach” in response to Cuse Action’s statement that “Moyer is attracting offers from a lot of quality programs. Interesting that they see something in the kid.”

So, Jimmy initially also ‘saw something in the kid.’ But, then what happened? Jimmy knows how to coach, but couldn’t get that something out of the kid? Or, are you blaming the kid? Oh, and then you proceeded to insult the OP, because he said JB ‘ran moyer out.’ So, which is it? When JB has a success, it’s all from JB. When there’s a player ‘failure’—performing below (our) expectations, a transfer, early NBA stuff—that’s all on the player. And even though there have been an inordinate number of such ‘failures’ with our program, they’re never on JB, right? Another example: Marek. Marek really developed those last few games. Boeheim apologists will assert that "JB gets the most out of a player." But, to concede that, you have to believe that that player could not/should not have been better an an earlier stage. I/others might suggest that those simple things that Marek began to be competent at, he should have been competent at much sooner. Perspective.

And again—so it’s clear, because it’s obvious you either don’t understand or don’t care—i’m debating logic, not facts, because there are no facts. Not that we will actually know. This, to me, is about objectivity, perspectives, and the psychology of it all.

Back to Moyer. Moyer was good enough in High School to be a recruiting target for us. Wasn’t he Mr Basketball in Ohio or some such? He’s a high character kid. Very intelligent. But, somehow, uncoachable now?

So, now to your deflections and spin. You laced them all together into one simple conglomeration of ‘perspective,’ i can’t answer them that way. Am i happy with making the tournament. I wouldn’t call it ‘happy.’ Relieved, maybe? Glad, definitely. But, no, not “Happy” to see us on the bubble. Again. Discussed ad nauseam in the media as being a bubble team again. Not happy to see us in a Play In Game(!). I felt like Jim Mora. Play In Game? Play In? We’re talkin’ about a Play In Game? I always thought of play in games as being for teams like South by Southwest Cactus Tech. But, Syracuse in a play in game? Oy. And before you completely absorb your panties, don’t get me wrong. Again. Getting in is better, of course, than not. But, a play in game doesn’t make me “happy.”

Next. UVA. Let’s get this out of the way. Yes. I’d have been happier being UVA. And here’s where ‘perspective’ comes back in. This site is its own bubble. Of all the people i know who are SU Alums and basketball heads, most don’t think the way the JB Loyalists do here. So, don’t think that this site always represents objectivity, truth, or the full demographic. Anyway, yeah, i think UVA had the better season. People here used “Sweet Sixteen” to feel better about the season. I don’t need to ‘feel better.’ I want to feel ‘accurately.’ And maybe i just have different objectives than you do.

My ‘objective’ (as if i had anything to do with it) is to have a team that is good enough to win a National Championship. The second ‘bar’ is not so much a standard as an accomplishment. A team that reaches the Final Four is a ‘bar’ for me. Sweet Sixteen isn’t one. Seems like a cute bit of marketing business. But, whatever. So, we won a play-in game against another team that had a not very successful season. How did i feel about that? Again, relieved. Glad. But, i didn’t take it as some great sign of success. We should have won that game. Right? Then TCU. They had the same number of wins as us, but in a lame(r) conference. So, again, relief, gladness, not a sense of tremendous accomplishment. We did what we should have done. MSU. That was a big win. Again, relief, and a bit of happiness, i guess. But, watching the actual game, and not relying solely on their seeding or yearlong rankings? I didn’t see a great team in them. We can say ‘the zone shut down their two stars.’ I’ll concede that. But, they had no guard play. To me, it’s incredibly surprising that they were so good all year, but whatever.

The perspective thing again…. In those three games, commentators harped on the fact that we play a zone. And any time it did anything, they’d pounce on another threadbare opportunity to mention that we play zone, and how much it has been stifling the opponent. Even after the first game(?), they were ranting about it. And then they showed the stats. On my (bad) memory, it was something like we held them to 38% FG percentage for the game. Whoa! Amazing defense! But, then, right next to it was the stat that they held us to 36%. And no one ever mentioned that they were doing it with M2M…. Same with the second game, and the third….. That’s the way it is. Commentators throw out that simple nugget because it’s simple and easy to recognize and digest, but other teams are defending us better than we’re defending them, and because M2M is the ‘industry standard’/default, it’s invisible somehow. One of those first two teams held all three of our three highest scoring players under their averages, and no one mentioned it. Battle was pretty well contained, and no one mentioned it….

What percentage of the Final Four's teams' defense is zone? When we reach a FF, it's because of the zone, but for everyone else, it's not because of M2M? Where's Duke right now, with all of their superstars, using their stolen zone?

Okay, so back to UVA. To me, a Sweet Sixteen is a nice thing. It’s a couple of weeks of enjoyment for our fans. But, it doesn’t indicate the quality of the team. UVA had a team that was good enough to win the entire thing. We didn’t. So, to assert that we had a better ‘season’ than they did because they happened to go out in the first round seems odd to me. I get it—that if your primary objective is to win the Championship, then each step along the way is a ‘credit,’ and they earned no credits. And now they’re also a footnote and commentators will be talking about them being the first to lose to a 16. And each time they do that, they’ll be mentioning that they were a No. 1 seed. While, honestly, i don’t believe anyone outside of our bubble really gives a damn that we made the Sweet 16. It’s not going to be impressive to recruits—who will also look at our 11th place conference finish. And bubble status. So, i asked, how do you reconcile the season? It's a question, not an assertion, but so many of your are so sensitive about anyone questioning anything related to Orange... Finishing so far down in-conference should surely be telling about the quality of our program this year. But, it also wasn’t an aberration. Last year, the year before, the year before….. How many middle of the pack and below seasons do we have to sustain before we actually are that team? Yeah, i’ll take UVA’s wire to wire top-rankedness. Wire to wire excellence. Each game, going into it knowing you’ll win. No team controversies. Playing a (slightly) more exciting game. With a coach of the year. And doing it with only one player recruited out of the top 50 (i think). And they’ll be there again next year.

The Challenges. The kid that dropped out. I don’t know the entire situation there. There was discussion about a medical issue partially related to his injury. And then speculation about his dissatisfaction with minutes. Part of a coach’s responsibility is in managing a player. We’ve had a lot of defections for one reason or another, so i can’t fully trust that all of these issues are the fault of the player. I don’t know what discussions were had, or what the player expected in terms of time, but i can absolutely see that he wasn’t happy with his time, given his status/age/year. The injuries…. Sidibe was affected. Washington wouldn’t have played much. Other teams have injuries, too. So, it’s all a part of the fabric of the season. I’m challenged to recognize which games/if any were affected by not having Howard Washington, and i’m not going to speculate on how much more effective Sidibe could have been, since he still would have been splitting minutes with Chukwu, and Chukwu did develop a bit toward the end.

But, again, this goes into perspective, and how you want to look at things. If we were good enough to beat Michigan State, why weren’t we good enough to win a few of those games we lost to inferior teams? If you give JB credit for being ‘the master’ in the tournament, are you also suggesting he only ‘turned it on’ at the end? Why not be the master in the lead-up, so that we’re not on the bubble? So that we win more conference games? Looking at some of the comments, it’s like people are suggesting JB is playing 3D chess, showing only enough to get us into the field, so that we can spring our vaunted 2-3 on them and confuse them into losing to us. So, if you consider a Sweet Sixteen a ‘run’ into a successful season, how do you then ignore what happened before that? And didn’t we ‘suffer’ for four months before the two week ‘glee period?’ That doesn’t matter?

People want to believe certain things, and they tend to look for ways to believe them.

What matters most here? A sweet sixteen. Does that build our program? Is that something that will be impressive to a recruit? Versus being ranked in the top three for an entire season, even with a tourney flameout. Was our sweet sixteen really that gratifying to you? Because why? Do you consider ASU and TCU to have been significant accomplishments? MSU, sure, i get that, but how do you need to weight those three wins to override the rest of the year? That’s an earnest question.

Again—instead of flaming the person, how about discussing the arguments. Or, whatever. I don't care. Some of this is from conversations i've been having with alums (real fans who are just as dedicated as you lot, but don't park themselves here because of the "unreasoned fanaticism")... So, have at it.
You accuse people of having different opinions than you of being "loyalists". does that make you a "disloyalist"? Oh no, that makes you an objective observer. I mean, because you know alums, who think like you do but don't post here? In your world, everything is spun to be anti-jb. Everything is his fault. That is fine but understand you are about as reasonable in your observations as Townie or Nate. Just on the opposite view point. In this decade, we have been a #1 seed twice. You ignore that. In this decade we also had the best start of any Syracuse team in history. You ignore that. In this decade, we also went to two final fours that had nothing to do with the 2 #1 seed years. You also ignore the effects of the sanctions. Doesn't fit your narrative. And if you want to blame Jb for the sanctions, be my guest. But don't pretend that they haven't hurt us. See, I get that Jb isn't perfect. Far from it. He doesn't sit at the right hand of the father. I also get that we will never have as a good a coach again at Syracuse. The odds are just so against it.
It is really clear that the sweet 16 run just really hurt you. Right to your core. You even knock MSU to get at it. That team was 30-4 and won the Big 10. But damn it, there guard play wasn't good. In your eyes. lol Duke loses in OT, on a horrible call I might add, and boom, you use it to knock the zone. Pathetic. And make no mistake, if we had Virginia's record and lost to a #16 seed, you would be saying that I would rather have the sweet 16 season. You are very transparent. So perspective...

You accuse people of having different opinions than you of being "loyalists". does that make you a "disloyalist"? Oh no, that makes you an objective observer. I mean, because you know alums, who think like you do but don't post here? I your world, everything is spun to be anti-jb. Everything is his fault. That is fine but understand you are about as reasonable in your observations as Townie or Nate. Just on the opposite view point. In this decade, we have been a #1 seed twice. you ignore that. In this decade we also had the best start of any Syracuse team in history. You ignore that. in this decade, we also went to two final fours that had nothing to do with the 2 #1 seed years. You ignore that. See, I get that Jb isn't perfect. far from it. he doesn't sit at the right hand of the father. I also get that we will never have as a good a coach again at Syracuse. The odds are just so against it.
It is really clear that the sweet 16 run just really hurt you. Right to your core. You even knock MSU to get at it. That team was 30-4 and won the Big 10. But damn it, there guard play wasn't good. In your eyes. lol Duke loses in OT, on a horrible call I might add, and boom, you use it to knock the zone. Pathetic. And make no mistake, if we had Virginia's record and lost to a #16 seed, you would be saying that I would rather have the sweet 16 season. You are very transparent. So perspective...
Was I tagged on accident?

He was only a freshman, to say he wasn’t a good player isn’t accurate, he was still a work in progress. He was that high energy, rebounding kind of player who needed time to adjust. He’s not Josh wright or Caleb Joseph.

He was only a freshman, to say he wasn’t a good player isn’t accurate, he was still a work in progress. He was that high energy, rebounding kind of player who needed time to adjust. He’s not Josh wright or Caleb Joseph.
He was terrible. I'm sorry, it's the truth. Could he have got better down the road? I don't know. I think so. I hope so. But he hurt us when he was on the floor. That is why he saw his time decrease the way he did.

I just want to say one more thing...
So many of you guys are 'funny' in how you react to this kind of thing. It's like... it's like if i go to a game, and someone in a Georgetown sweatshirt walks up to me and says "Syracuse sucks!" I'm likely to have one type of reaction. I'd be motivated to 'fight back.' But, if a friend/SU Alum walks up and says, "oh my god, our offense is such an atrocity this year, it's hard to watch" — well, then we're going to have a very different type of exchange. It's going to be amicable, and constructive, and we're going to end it very pleasantly, even if we have differing opinions on why, or to what degree.

Here, in this forum? So many of you treat fellow fans as if they're attacking your very person. And, so you need to retaliate. And then divide, so that you can feel like you're in the 'right club.'

If you really look at what i tend to write, most of it is either questions, or arguments about logic, debating assertions someone makes. Not insinuations about a that person's character or 'fan status.' About the quality of a statement. I thought that was the 'higher level' way to pursue things. Maybe not in a sports forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom