Moyer | Syracusefan.com

Moyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of us said, Matt's parents were trying to protect him from himself. He was putting the team before his health. Those of you that questioned his toughness might want to reevaluate your perspective.

One thing I don't get. The writer said Matt participated fully in contact drills Monday but JB said on the conference call he hadn't seen Matt that day. Am I missing something or is that a contradiction?

As some of us said, Matt's parents were trying to protect him from himself. He was putting the team before his health. Those of you that questioned his toughness might want to reevaluate your perspective.

One thing I don't get. The writer said Matt participated fully in contact drills Monday but JB said on the conference call he hadn't seen Matt that day. Am I missing something or is that a contradiction?
and there is no sense in that article that the moyer family feels "called out" or disrespected in any way

The conference call was before practice.

The picture was taken Jan 27, after the Pitt game.

Earlier today people were under the impression that the picture was taken on Feb 6 after Louisville.
People weren't sure and people said as such over and over again.

Regardless it really doesn't matter when it was taken July 27th or Feb 4th as with any significant injury like this turned out to be with not only a sprain but the dreaded high ankle sprain, the time frame for return need be longer (obviously here based on what's happened), needed be longer certainly than what the kid attempted to do. Here is an article on it including discussing time frames:

High Ankle Sprain

God bless his resolve and heart but glad better senses prevailed.

As was said and reported earlier on it the originally stated time course more toward 4-6 weeks would have been more prudent and wise to stick with. Kid came back in less than two weeks, crazy, when I saw that I thought ahh must have been a minor tweek or simple ankle turn without major injury.

When the pic came out it did indeed show a major sprain so the extra time makes more sense toward the expected normal time frame for recovery for anyone recovering from such trauma. Generally speaking the saying you can't fool Mother Nature applies, meaning in this case the bodies normal healing processes and time. And when people try and fool nature this is what usually happens:

Iowa football safety Brandon Snyder tears ACL for second time, expected back in June

You can tweek the time frames a bit perhaps with certain cutting edge therapies, nutritional approaches, and taking into account younger vs. older and this is why we often give time frames over weeks of time. Those of us in this line of work treating such injuries need to stick with the prudent course and be safe with Rx and advice which I'm sure what was done up there, but the kid wanted back so bad. With the wrist like they refer to in the article give it a whirl but the ankle not so much. Don't want to risk longer term problems with a weight bearing joint, walking etc.

But all in the rear view mirror now, seems like all have had a meeting of the minds. Onward and upward.

Last edited:
We have multiple kids on this team that have put the team before themselves injury wise. Battle’s back, Frank’s issues last year and hand, bourama’s tendinitis, moyer’s ankle, im sure paschal and chukwu have crap going on as well. Im still amazed at the and 1 contact brissett shook off vs UB.

This team’s resilient and anything but soft. Not to say anyone called them soft

this isn't a Moyer issue - this is a JB issue. NOne of us should know anything other than "his ankle was bothering him and he couldn't go". SU is tight lipped on everything else with their upper and lower body injuries. This was a fire that should have never been started by the adult on SU's payroll. What other adults including Moyer should never have been commented on by anyone affiliated with the school.

this isn't a Moyer issue - this is a JB issue. NOne of us should know anything other than "his ankle was bothering him and he couldn't go". SU is tight lipped on everything else with their upper and lower body injuries. This was a fire that should have never been started by the adult on SU's payroll. What other adults including Moyer should never have been commented on by anyone affiliated with the school.
Up to a point it was fine for Boeheim to be honest about what transpired and say that Matthew's dad asked that he be held out of the game. (I know, honesty in college? In sports? Shocking). That point was the way the coach ended his comment saying something like, "I won't play someone who doesn't want to play."

The problem is Moyer DID want to play. Boeheim's concluding point was needlessly disparaging.

It would have been fine had he simply said, "His father came to me and asked that he be held out of the game. I respected that."

“By the time Fred left home in Ohio for Syracuse on Saturday morning, Annette said, Moyer had agreed to sit.”

No one else has a problem with this?

This is a fire that was started and burns only on this forum.

So it’s not OK for JB to answer a question in a press conference, but it’s perfectly fine for Moyer’s mom to do an interview with the DO?
Yes. Of course. One is a parent. The other is the head of the program. You can't see the difference?

Yes. Of course. One is a parent. The other is the head of the program. You can't see the difference?
Either it’s kept in-house or it’s not.

There’s a good chance JB responds to this article, even if Julie and Wildhack try to convince him otherwise.

Stop it. No parent should dictate what's going on with the team. Period. Boeheim made it loud and clear that no parent will undermine him and did so publicly, which was the right move. It's like this board has selective memory. Did y'all forget that he was snake bitten by a parent over the Summer who pulled her son out of school and enrolled him at another university the week before classes were to begin? Although the thread was locked, I was amazed it took 15 pages for someone to have some sense regarding the issue.

I spoke to my father about the issue and he agreed with Boeheim's take. It's one of the reasons he retired from coaching. The parents are more intrusive than ever and the kids aren't good enough to justify the drama. He personally would have sat him out the next game to drive home the message that it is his team. He's dealt with parents threatening to pull their kids from his program and he called their bluff on it. His teams never skipped a beat.

Either it’s kept in-house or it’s not.

There’s a good chance JB responds to this article, even if Julie and Wildhack try to convince him otherwise.
One is a professional that is accustomed to dealing with the media. The other isn't. I just wish Jb would take the high road.

One is Boeheim, who you despise, the other is a coddling parent, who you empower.
lol I despise JB??? Where have you been? For over 40 years, I have been one of his biggest supporters. Just last week, I was accused of being like Townie. Do you even read the board before you post? I supported Jb back in the days when very few did. Try being educated on a subject before you post and look silly. I support JB when he is coaching. I think he is a great coach. His behavior in pressers leaves much to be desired.

I dont think JB should have called him out publicly. That said the kid practices for two days and then after talking to mom and dad he decides to sit out on the day of the game? I would be very frustrated if I were Boeheim and the team. Its one thing if a trainer says something or if the player comes in and says i cant go. But to say mom and Dad convinced me to sit out is a problem.

The real question I have is why is he practicing on it. If he is injured he should be just getting treatment between games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom