Moyer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Moyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol I despise JB??? Where have you been? For over 40 years, I have been one of his biggest supporters. Just last week, I was accused of being like Townie. Do you even read the board before you post? I supported Jb back in the days when very few did. Try being educated on a subject before you post and look silly. I support JB when he is coaching. I think he is a great coach. His behavior in pressers leaves much to be desired.
Boeheim has been under attack for along time. If it isn't the NCAA being used as an attack dog by other more powerful teams and conferences, it's the media hacks trying to suck up to them, many unwittingly. And then the fans pick up on this and continue to take an opposition point of view no matter what the issue is. I can see what he has been up against and how unfairly he has been treated with sanctions and general impugning his career and I will always side with him as he is the greatest coach in Syracuse history and and in my opinion, if the NCAA not kneecapped him TWICE, in college basketball history as well.

Boeheim has been under attack for along time. If it isn't the NCAA being used as an attack dog by other more powerful teams and conferences, it's the media hacks trying to suck up to them, many unwittingly. And then the fans pick up on this and continue to take an opposition point of view no matter what the issue is. I can see what he has been up against and how unfairly he has been treated with sanctions and general impugning his career and I will always side with him as he is the greatest coach in Syracuse history and and in my opinion, if the NCAA not kneecapped him TWICE, in college basketball history as well.
Is there an apology in there for claiming that I despise jb when the opposite has been true? The sad truth is that JB has brought a lot of this on himself. We have been hit with sanctions twice. That is on him. Have others got away with worse? Yes. But that doesn't absolve Jb of wrongdoing. And the local media has been pussycats to him for years. And I will go to my grave with the belief that had he not been such a dick to them, they never would have wrote the out of bounds series. JB is a great coach. An all time great. But he doesn't always act like a gentleman. And he should. It's not that hard to treat people on a lower wrung than you well.

The picture was taken Jan 27, after the Pitt game.

Earlier today people were under the impression that the picture was taken on Feb 6 after Louisville.
I thought Moyer sprained the ankle against BC on Jan 24? And he didn’t play against Pitt.

I dont think JB should have called him out publicly. That said the kid practices for two days and then after talking to mom and dad he decides to sit out on the day of the game? I would be very frustrated if I were Boeheim and the team. Its one thing if a trainer says something or if the player comes in and says i cant go. But to say mom and Dad convinced me to sit out is a problem.

The real question I have is why is he practicing on it. If he is injured he should be just getting treatment between games.
According to the article, he decided (or his parents decided) the day before the game. But JB didn't find out until the day of the game. Also a problem.

JB is a bit of a "chatty cathy" about most things best left in the locker room.

Is there an apology in there for claiming that I despise jb when the opposite has been true? The sad truth is that JB has brought a lot of this on himself. We have been hit with sanctions twice. That is on him. Have others got away with worse? Yes. But that doesn't absolve Jb of wrongdoing. And the local media has been pussycats to him for years. And I will go to my grave with the belief that had he not been such a dick to them, they never would have wrote the out of bounds series. JB is a great coach. An all time great. But he doesn't always act like a gentleman. And he should. It's not that hard to treat people on a lower wrung than you well.
Out of bounds series?

Stop it. No parent should dictate what's going on with the team. Period. Boeheim made it loud and clear that no parent will undermine him and did so publicly, which was the right move. It's like this board has selective memory. Did y'all forget that he was snake bitten by a parent over the Summer who pulled her son out of school and enrolled him at another university the week before classes were to begin? Although the thread was locked, I was amazed it took 15 pages for someone to have some sense regarding the issue.

I spoke to my father about the issue and he agreed with Boeheim's take. It's one of the reasons he retired from coaching. The parents are more intrusive than ever and the kids aren't good enough to justify the drama. He personally would have sat him out the next game to drive home the message that it is his team. He's dealt with parents threatening to pull their kids from his program and he called their bluff on it. His teams never skipped a beat.
I agree with most of this. But I don’t get any sense that the Moyers as those type of parents at all.

I thought Moyer sprained the ankle against BC on Jan 24? And he didn’t play against Pitt.
Either way, the photo is over two weeks old.

He acts like quite a gentleman considering what's been stole from him. Maybe I just pick up on his anger and lash out ex parte.

I agree with most of this. But I don’t get any sense that the Moyers as those type of parents at all.
You mean other than going against the medical staff and convincing their son to sit out?

i wonder if the bench was better stocked does the medical staff sit him. and don't pretend they don't feel pressure to green light when we're short handed.
secondly you make the call . listen to your mom and dad or coach. they have your best interests at heart . and they'll be around a lot longer to answer to.

Last edited:
JB is a bit of a "chatty cathy" about most things best left in the locker room.
Unless you are trying to send a message via the Press. Seems to me that suggesting that JB just can’t help himself because he suffers from “Chatty Cathy” syndrome after 1,000 press conferences may not be insightful.

i wonder if the bench was better stocked does the medical staff sit him. and don't pretend they don't feel pressure to green light when we're short handed.
secondly you make the call . listen to your mom and dad or coach. they have your best interests at heart . and they'll be around a lot longer to answer to.
Moyer is not a freshman in HS anymore. He's 20 years old. And I doubt the medical staff would open themselves up to a lawsuit and put someone out there who can't go.

What we have here in all probability is a clash of objectives.

Everybody knows what JB wants or should know. He wants to win the next game and to win some after that so the team can make the NCAA tourney.

The Moyer’s are almost certainly interested in their son’s longer term health. They may even be looking at some future NBA pot of gold.

When these two perfectly understandable objectives come into conflict, we have what we saw.

To suggest that the medical staff is corrupt and would endanger an athlete’s physical well-being is yet another issue. I doubt few would endanger their own career or reputation by yielding to pressure from the coach for a single game. But on a TV drama they would, I suspect.

Last edited:
Moyer is not a freshman in HS anymore. He's 20 years old. And I doubt the medical staff would open themselves up to a lawsuit and put someone out there who can't go.
That happens all the time in college sports. Now, it is my opinion that JB would never play a kid if he thought there was a chance that the kid would injure himself more. I'm sure of that. But the Moyers are only concerned about their kid. And I don't blame them for that. Better that than for them to live with a lifetime of regrets.

to your credit your 1st 4 sentences are spot on. but you are being extremely naive on point 5. you have done business in the real world ?

What we have here in all probability is a lash of objectives.

Everybody knows what JB wants or should know. He wants to win the next game and to win some after that so the team can make the NCAA tourney.

The Moyer’s are almost certainly interested in their son’s longer term health. They may even be looking at some future NBA pot of gold.

When these two perfectly understandable objectives come into conflict, we have what we saw.

To suggest that the medical staff is corrupt and would endanger an athlete’s physical well-being is yet another issue. I doubt few would endanger their own career or reputation by yielding to pressure from the coach for a single game. But on a TV drama they would, I suspect.
Sadly, that does happen in big time college sports. I don't believe for a second that would happen here. JB wouldn't do that. But the Moyers can't be sure of that. They don't have 40 years of experience with the guy. They only know their son and what he has told them. I don't blame Jb for being upset. I do blame him for making it public. Nothing good to be gained from that.

Time to lock this thread.
We might be going for a board record on locked threads. Oh, and we have just won two in a row.

to your credit your 1st 4 sentences are spot on. but you are being extremely naive on point 5. you have done business in the real world ?

Business in the real world?

Nah, just 40+ years of it for four of the US’s top corporations up to the VP level.

I’ve seen what happens to people who do the wrong things under pressure that’s a lot greater than nasty looks from Boeheim. In my experience it ran from “not pretty” to “tragic”.

why ? there is an interesting clash of ideas here but the discourse is civil and the arguments well stated .
Maybe they were put off by you use of “fool” above as part of what you called a “civil discourse”.

and i run every day on "duct tape and tie wraps" to make it thru tomorrow. surprisingly time is often not an option afforded.
(you take offense to "fool" yet play the part so willingly.)

That happens all the time in college sports. Now, it is my opinion that JB would never play a kid if he thought there was a chance that the kid would injure himself more. I'm sure of that. But the Moyers are only concerned about their kid. And I don't blame them for that. Better that than for them to live with a lifetime of regrets.
A lifetime of regrets over a sprained ankle?
Sadly, that does happen in big time college sports. I don't believe for a second that would happen here. JB wouldn't do that. But the Moyers can't be sure of that. They don't have 40 years of experience with the guy. They only know their son and what he has told them. I don't blame Jb for being upset. I do blame him for making it public. Nothing good to be gained from that.
Do you think the Moyers should trust the medical staff?

The real question I have is why is he practicing on it. If he is injured he should be just getting treatment between games.[/QUOTE]

Ok I’ll take the bait. Maybe because he had to learn all of our set plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom