Multiple Kick times announced | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Multiple Kick times announced

I completely disagree with you on this.

And why do you think fans with kids prefer a noon kickoff? Why is a noon kickoff more friendly for fans who travel to games or bring with children with them? I find the people who are most vehement against noon kickoffs are people traveling to games from places like Utica, Binghamton, Rochester and Watertown. There isn't sufficient time to tailgate for nooner for local fans, forget about people who have to drive an hour or two (or more) to home games.

My experience is that kids aren't great about getting up really early on weekends to do anything.

I have talked to hundreds of Syracuse fans on this subject. Maybe thousands. Not sure I have ever found one that preferred noon kickoffs. The most common complaint I hear about SU football scheduling is the prevalence of noon kickoffs.

I think SUAD is really out of touch if they think this is what fans want.

I like 1:30 pm because the game will end around 4:30 pm and even if you are travelling from an hour or two away, you generally have enough time to get home at a reasonable hour. You probably have a couple hours of sunlight to drive home in.

I could be wrong on this. Maybe I hang out with a strange cross section of fans and maybe for some reason I gravitate to the only Syracuse fans out there that hate noon kickoffs and yearn for kickoffs at 1:30 pm (or even later).

I invite everyone who goes to Syracuse football games to weigh in on this.

Especially fans who travel to the games or bring kids to the games. Do you prefer noon kickoffs? I don't think it is possible to do a poll in the middle of a thread or I would.

Please respond with your situation: do you travel to home games (defined as more than a 30 minute drive), with kids or without, and do you prefer noon kickoffs (yes or no)?

For me, it would be no, no, and no. I.e. I do not travel, I do not normally come with kids and I do not prefer noon kickoffs.
We have a 6 year old daughter that we have been bringing to 3-4 games a year since she was 1 including the Camping World Bowl!

We travel 3.5 hrs to the game and if it ends before 7pm we round trip it both ways same day, if it ends after 7, we stay overnight and leave very early the next morning.

We prefer Noon games because that is the easiest one to get back same day. 3:30 games arent horrible but makes for a rough drive back after a long day.

We don't mind getting up early (typically 5-5:30 during the week) and we also only arrive an hour before kick, which is why we rarely get to see your crew (though we try to contribute!). Getting up at 6, working out for an hour, getting ready and out the door by 7:30 knowing we'll be back at 7:30 is a great day for us.

We turn into pumpkins by 9pm, so we much prefer to start our day an hour or two earlier than end it an hour or two later but we also know were different than most.

If you’re talking to the tailgate and diehard crowd, I totally get it.

Dare I say the majority of fans are not tailgating for hours before kickoff.
I would say most of the SU fans I tend to know and spend time with are tailgaters.

I think most of them are also what I would call die hards.

How many fans who go to SU games tailgate? How many fans who go to SU games are diehards?

I am not sure, but I think this is very much related to how the team is doing. When the team is 5-0 and in the top 25, there are a ton more bandwagon types in the stands than the last game of the season in recent years, when we have typically lost 4 or 5 in a row. The crowd is probably 95% diehards in those types of games.

Anyway, we seem to get somewhere in the range of 26K-28K no matter what for football games. I think that is good evidence there is something in the neighborhood of 25K of diehard fans that come to games no matter what.

So IMHO the majority of the fans that go to games are diehards. When things are going great, it might only be 60%. When things are going bad, it is probably in the 95% range.

I have no idea how many fans tailgate. The diehard fans surely tend to tailgate more than the casual fans.

So you concede diehards and tailgaters prefer later kickoff times. Good.

That means you think the rest of the fans really like noon starts. This could be. I don’t hear this from the casual fans I know but maybe the ones I know are weird. It is possible.

One thing I do know is that if you are going to break things down, a big part of the home crowd these days are the students. They are coming in record numbers. And I think everyone can agree that they hate noon kickoffs. The size of the student section is way down when we have noon kickoffs. They don’t like getting up that early. I have great confidence they would prefer 1:30 pm kickoffs. Probably would prefer 3L30 to 1:30 and 7:30 to 3:30 as well. Anything but noon.

Anyway, I still don’t agree with you but let’s see how people respond to this thread. I could be wrong. I know this. Whenever kickoff times are announced for an SU home game and it turns out it is at noon, there always seems to be a strong negative reaction on this board. I am sure there are people out there that like noon starts best but I think they are outliers.

I would say most of the SU fans I tend to know and spend time with are tailgaters.

I think most of them are also what I would call die hards.

How many fans who go to SU games tailgate? How many fans who go to SU games are diehards?

I am not sure, but I think this is very much related to how the team is doing. When the team is 5-0 and in the top 25, there are a ton more bandwagon types in the stands than the last game of the season in recent years, when we have typically lost 4 or 5 in a row. The crowd is probably 95% diehards in those types of games.

Anyway, we seem to get somewhere in the range of 26K-28K no matter what for football games. I think that is good evidence there is something in the neighborhood of 25K of diehard fans that come to games no matter what.

So IMHO the majority of the fans that go to games are diehards. When things are going great, it might only be 60%. When things are going bad, it is probably in the 95% range.

I have no idea how many fans tailgate. The diehard fans surely tend to tailgate more than the casual fans.

So you concede diehards and tailgaters prefer later kickoff times. Good.

That means you think the rest of the fans really like noon starts. This could be. I don’t hear this from the casual fans I know but maybe the ones I know are weird. It is possible.

One thing I do know is that if you are going to break things down, a big part of the home crowd these days are the students. They are coming in record numbers. And I think everyone can agree that they hate noon kickoffs. The size of the student section is way down when we have noon kickoffs. They don’t like getting up that early. I have great confidence they would prefer 1:30 pm kickoffs. Probably would prefer 3L30 to 1:30 and 7:30 to 3:30 as well. Anything but noon.

Anyway, I still don’t agree with you but let’s see how people respond to this thread. I could be wrong. I know this. Whenever kickoff times are announced for an SU home game and it turns out it is at noon, there always seems to be a strong negative reaction on this board. I am sure there are people out there that like noon starts best but I think they are outliers.

Who the heck goes to a football game and doesn’t tailgate

That’s at least 50% of the fun

Ohio 3:30

GA tech - Noon

Stanford 7:30 Fri Night

Holy Cross - Noon

at Pitt 7:30 Thursday Night game - 10/24]

Two nooners is a tailgate buzzkill. ACC should have made the Holy Cross game late, its online only anyway.
Have multiple people coming from out of town for my once a season tailgate ( Lot of people from ESM circa class of 78- 82) and of course I got fing nooner … Ga Tech

Noon games are brutal for us because I already have to take every Saturday night off for games, and because we live two hours away and I work nights I also have to leave work early the day of so I can spend time with the tailgate fam.

It is what it is though, the world doesn't revolve around me.

is 10% too high to say tailgate? Its probably less than that

When I had seasons, I loved noon games. I went to the the game and then had the rest of the day to do other stuff. I've never been into the tailgating scene though. All I cared about was going to the game.

If you like FB as a hole. noon is the best. watch the game go home and watch more.. 3:30 is the worst you basically miss everything else going on during a game.

All Friday home game would be even better.

If you like FB as a hole. noon is the best. watch the game go home and watch more.. 3:30 is the worst you basically miss everything else going on during a game.

All Friday home game would be even better.

I do love Friday and then having the freedom to watch all day Saturday.

Personally, I think 2:30 is the best time. It gives full time to tailgate and then you have plenty of time to get home, even if from out of town. Heck if you don't live far away you get to see the end of the 3:30 games.

If you have a TV at your tailgate then you can argue that 4pm is the best time. You get to watch the end of College Gameday and all the Noon games. You get home in time to watch the last 3 Qs of the night games. The 3:30 games now are the weak games. TV has made Noon and 7:30 the biggest games now. So SU playing at Noon you miss some of the bigger games of the day.

A lot of people.
Exactly. Noon works great for me. Drive up the day before, dinner at Francesca's, leisurely breakfast, grab a burger on the quad (assuming they still do that), watch the game and home before it's too late.

In all the years I've conversated about SU football on the interwebs, I've yet to see a game time that someone folks aren't pissed about. And I've yet to see others chime in that the time in question is good for them.

I mean, we're talking about the difference of 60-90 minutes for Holy Cross. This seems like a first world problem.

FWIW, it's not implausible that Brown wanted a noon kick for HC. We have to travel to UNLV the next weekend, and he may want the HC game to be on as "normal" a schedule as possible for his players.

I imagine coaches love noon kickoffs. Players have an early curfew in the team hotel the night before, then it's wake up and getting right into the game day process. No sitting around for hours doing nothing.

Probably an outlier here, but living on the West Coast noon games are great because you don’t have to wait all day for the game. You get up do a few things and the game is on. And you’ve got a whole whole day to watch other games or do other stuff.
Truth is, I usually record the game and start watching it without all the nauseating commercials about two hours into the game. Of course I have to impose a sports news blackout so I don’t get any scores till I start watching. Which means I have to turn my phone off.
But it’s a great feeling to have a Syracuse game recorded and knowing I can watch it with great control.

I'd like to know how much other fan bases complain about game times. I don't hear too much tall about it here in Knoxville, but I also don't go on UT message boards. What I typically hear people talk about here is usually weather related, like how hot an early season early start time game will be or if rain is expected. Fwiw, their first game this year is a 12:45 start.

In all the years I've conversated about SU football on the interwebs, I've yet to see a game time that someone folks aren't pissed about. And I've yet to see others chime in that the time in question is good for them.

I mean, we're talking about the difference of 60-90 minutes for Holy Cross. This seems like a first world problem.
Exactly. To be fair, a lot of fanbases aren't excited about the early kickoffs except here in the Central time zone, we're talking about 11 am instead of noon kickoffs.

As we know, select MW games are moving to Friday nights this fall.

In this article (College Football Starts Strong This Fall on FOX - Fox Sports Press Pass) "The action continues in October with a Big Ten showdown between the Michigan State Spartans and Oregon Ducks from Eugene, OR, on Friday, Oct. 4 at 9:00 PM ET on FOX."

I can't imagine you'd move Syracuse/UNLV to Friday 10/4 and play at 6pm ET, 3pm local, right??

Or go up against that game on CBS Sports Network?
My UNLV source just said our game was being considered by CBS. I took it to mean CBS Sports and not the main channel.

I'm mystified now. This is obviously one of the premier MWC OOC games.

My UNLV source just said our game was being considered by CBS. I took it to mean CBS Sports and not the main channel.

I'm mystified now. This is obviously one of the premier MWC OOC games.
The main CBS did have a few primetime MWC games last year so that's a real possibility. I remember Wyoming-Texas Tech was one of them.

Agreed.

If you plan to arrive 15-45 mins prior it is fine.

I was hopeful GaTech would've been 3:30pm or later. We need the crowd amped.

As an away game...I never minded 12 or 12:30 kicks as I think it is an advantage for the visiting team. Setting up tailgates in the dark is challenging though.

Holy Cross game selfishly for me is best for Noon due to travel logistics but ordinarily I'd like it kicking later.

Last edited:
I'd like to know how much other fan bases complain about game times. I don't hear too much tall about it here in Knoxville, but I also don't go on UT message boards. What I typically hear people talk about here is usually weather related, like how hot an early season early start time game will be or if rain is expected. Fwiw, their first game this year is a 12:45 start.
Oh pretty much all southern fan bases love 3:30 or 7pm kicks.

In September they all prefer evening kicks since it is so hot during the day.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom