My 2013 SU Football Preview Part 10: Summary | Syracusefan.com

My 2013 SU Football Preview Part 10: Summary

SWC75

Bored Historian
(Sorry, I don't do predictions, just previews)

August is for optimism and throughout the country people are hopeful of a successful or at least a better season than they had last year, if not a bowl, a top 25 or top 10 ranking or even a national title. We need to be optimistic now because we might not get the chance later.

In recent years, being optimistic has taken some heavy lifting. This year, my feeling is that we are going to be good- maybe very good. I think we’ll be fine at quarterback, that we will successfully patch up the offensive line and the running backs will have holes and the quarterbacks time to pass. My biggest concern is the receivers but we have some talented guys there. They are just untested. Smith, Gulley, Morris, Broyld, Estime and Funderburke are dynamic talents.

I think our supposed weakness at defensive end could become a strength. The strength in the middle of the line, among the linebackers and in the defensive backfield is here now. I think The Salt Badger, (and George Morris) will make kick returns a weapon while Krautman, Norton and Fisher will give us a strong kicking game.

Overall, people are commenting on how the depth, both in numbers and talent, the size and speed of the team has increased every year since Marrone became coach and is now greater than it has been since the glory years of 1987-01. We have a number of WTYSTGs and HPOSs. I don’t think the coaches will be saying IHTDABJ too much. I think the ACC is going to be surprised at how good this team is.

But this is the toughest schedule we have ever played. Penn State is still Penn State and Northwestern is better than they are. Clemson and Florida State are top ten quality teams. Wagner was in the FCS playoffs last year, as was Stony brook who led us at halftime last season. Tulane may be on the upswing. The other teams are solid ACC programs that are just as optimistic as we are and not without reason. There are no teams with a direction in their name and the “States” are actually a state. It’s an unforgiving schedule. Some of the teams will be better than we are. If we don’t play well against the others, we will probably lose. If you project a record for SU in Augusts, you can probably subtract a couple of wins just because of who we are playing.

But I think we will prove we belong in the ACC.