My 4444th post: off-season thoughts (long) | Syracusefan.com

My 4444th post: off-season thoughts (long)

iommi

Living Legend
I noticed that this is going to be post #4444 for me, so instead of wasting that special # on some random post or response, I thought I'd give some off-season thoughts and my expectations for the coming season. Hopefully, this will spark some discourse on the board during what has been a slow time lately.

Before I get started on that, I wanted to type a brief note of thanks to everyone who makes this board special. You know who you are. Rather than omitting someone, I'd rather keep my thanks generic, but I especially want to thank the mods and our regular posters. I've been posting on some version of this board since the 2001-2002 season and many of the same posters still grace us with their presence. It's been a lot of fun. I tend to be a very emotional guy, and I am very passionate about the sports I follow, but in particular SU hoops and football; and this board (and the previous versions) has been a tremendous outlet for me. So thanks to everyone who makes this place great.

Now, onto my off-season thoughts and a look ahead to 2014-2015 and the future.

This off-season, SU has solidified their future, stockpiling tremendous talent with their 2015 class. I love the scoring punch that all of our '15 recruits bring to the table. I live in NJ, so I have followed Malachi Richardson and Moustapha Diagne very closely.

Malachi has been given a ton of accolades for his pure shooting stroke, and rightfully so. That being said, I think people are underestimating his athletic ability and all-around game. He's working diligently on all aspects of his game, particularly his handle and ability to score in mid-range and off the bounce. This kid is also a stone cold assassin in crunch time. He needs to put on more than a few pounds but this kid can be special. Correction: Malachi WILL BE special.

Moustapha has no such concerns with his frame. I've seen him play in person a few times and this man is built like a truck. Huge tree trunk legs give the Moose a big-time base. One of the things that always that jumps out at me (and everyone else who has watched him), is that he is ambidextrous. Moose has a handful of go-to post moves (imagine that, SU fans!!!) and the last time I saw him live he was able to put the ball on the floor and take his guy off the bounce. He's not a weapon as a shot blocker but he should be able to get 1-2 a game.

As far as Franklin Howard and Tyler "Rotten" Lydon are concerned, they both seem promising. Howard should have a nice senior campaign after getting back his strength following knee surgery and should give us some versatility at the guard spot. I saw he and Moose live at the Mary Kline Classic and he wasn't favoring his surgery-repaired knee. I also had a chance to say hi to him and he seemed like a very nice kid.

"Rotten" will make a great stretch 4, something we haven't had in a long time. He's another guy who gets labeled a shooter but can play above the rim. He does need to hit the weights big time. I named him "Rotten" after Johnny Rotten Lydon of Sex Pistols infamy and I hope it sticks. Good nickname IMO if I do say so myself.

Looking ahead to the 2014-2015 campaign, I'd say I'm guardedly optimistic. We really did lose a ton of production from last year. It seems to be an annual thing we deal with but one of these years it could lead to a down year. Now a "down year" for SU basketball would be a dream season for a lot of schools. Still, I expect us to be somewhere in the range of the 4th or 5th best team in the ACC, maybe 3rd best if JB does a great job of building chemistry with what will essentially be a new team. A tough non-conference slate will challenge us, as well as having to play Duke twice. Adding Louisville to the mix too, don't forget, and they are never an easy win, to say the very least.

I'm very sceptical that Roc Christmas will have a huge breakthrough senior season, like some have suggested. He just seems to me to the kind of guy without a fire for greatness. I am not saying he doesn't try. It's just that way too often he disappears from games. Some guys have BMW engines, some guys have Prius engines. Roc has a Prius engine. He's content doing 64 on the highway in the right lane. It's hard to teach a motor and it's hard to improve it. Roc has (by all accounts) been a model citizen and a great student (graduating in 3 years!), so I'm very happpy he's on the team. I just wish the guy got nasty on the court and realized how good he could be. I'd sign up for a 10 and 7 average from Roc in a heartbeat.

Speaking of motors, that's my biggest concern with McCullough. From what I've seen, he needs to play with more fire but hopefully, finally playing with the big boys in college gets him motivated. If he wants to be one and done he'll need to play well. Yes, the NBA does draft on promise but if they see him dogging it out there, his stock will drop considerably. I'm sure JB will tell him that. Having to put food on the table can be a big motivator. I think he and Roc are huge keys to our team because if they play well, our team will be very good. This team is built for speed so if those two guys are playing good d, rebounding and blocking shots, our transition game could be lethal this year.

That leads me to my next focus, which is Kaleb Joseph. I think a lot of people are not really clear on what we have here. This kid will be a ton of fun to watch this year. He has a swagger about his game. He thrives in transition. He HAS a BMW motor. Kaleb loves to run. Great vision. Great mid-range. Great ability to change gears. Like Pat Healy, in There's Something About Mary, he "can run a little hot." LOL (weird reference, I know). I mean that he will make some mistakes because he plays a little helter skelter at times (I'm basing this mainly on youtubes and francis' reporting), but that's to be expected. One last thing: I love gym rats. Kaleb is a gym rat. Did I mention this kid will be a ton of fun to watch this year?

I am very optimistic about Tyler Roberson if he ever gets comfortable. He's a very introverted kid but there's a ton of promise there. I also saw him play in high school and he's a big time talent. I predict he'll be our leading rebounder. He also would benefit from a quicker pace. If this kid becomes more aggressive on the court, look out.

A few more bullet points:

**Trevor Cooney should work well in tandem with Kaleb's ability to penetrate...now, can TC knock down his shots with regularity? The drive and kick will be there in transition and halfcourt and I hope they're working on their rapport. This could be a lethal 1-2 punch if Trevor is more consistent than he has been.

**BJ and Buss are the X factors. What will their roles be? Buss seems like he could be a gunner off the bench and BJ should see some floor time due to his versatility. I think BJ gets some time, predominantly at the 3, whereas to me Buss should steal some minutes from Cooney, especially in those games where TC can't find the bottom of the net. Buss could be a factor at the PG if his handle is sufficient but I still think JB will lean on Silent G to get some lead guard minutes.

**I hope Coleman comes back and is able to pitch in a little. He's an easy kid to root for. Even 10 minutes a game from him could be huge with our lack of depth at the 5. I just hope he's okay to play and confident enough to play. If he's not confident (because he fears injury), he won't be effective, even if he's healthy.

**I hope Chino is at least ready to contribute as a rebounder and energy guy. I can't expect much more from a kid who has such limited experience playing basketball.

**I look for Silent G to be a glue guy and play a variety of roles. His role may be similar to last year but hopefully, he brings the aggression on offense he showed down the stretch last year. He played pretty well the last few weeks last season and I was a detractor. I just hope that other guys step up, so he doesn't have to play huge minutes. I see Gbinije as a contributor more so than a big time scorer.

**Thanks for reading and... Let's go, Orange!!!!!

ps: Any mods know how I can fix an issue I've been having: I try to post at work and then the site makes me post a poll and even so, my post does not go through...I get a pop up that says, "post a valid message." Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

Last edited:
First great post and great timing, this is exactly the time of year we need posts like these so thanks.

Second, I completely agree with your take on Joseph and I too love gym rats. After everything i have read about him, I am already a huge fan (I really liked Ennis and MCW too but for reasons that I think will be different than Joseph)

I would love to see your take on both expected lineup/playing time and wishful thinking lineup/playing time.

PS: I include you in the posters that make this place a great visit/read. I too have been reading/posting for over a decade over various incarnations

I noticed that this is going to be post #4444 for me, so instead of wasting that special # on some random post or response, I thought I'd give some off-season thoughts and my expectations for the coming season. Hopefully, this will spark some discourse on the board during what has been a slow time lately.

Before I get started on that, I wanted to type a brief note of thanks to everyone who makes this board special. You know who you are. Rather than omitting someone, I'd rather keep my thanks generic, but I especially want to thank the mods and our regular posters. I've been posting on some version of this board since the 2001-2002 season and many of the same posters still grace us with their presence. It's been a lot of fun. I tend to be a very emotional guy, and I am very passionate about the sports I follow, but in particular SU hoops and football; and this board (and the previous versions) has been a tremendous outlet for me. So thanks to everyone who makes this place great.

Now, onto my off-season thoughts and a look ahead to 2014-2015 and the future.

This off-season, SU has solidified their future, stockpiling tremendous talent with their 2015 class. I love the scoring punch that all of our '15 recruits bring to the table. I live in NJ, so I have followed Malachi Richardson and Moustapha Diange very closely.

Malachi has been given a ton of accolades for his pure shooting stroke, and rightfully so. That being said, I think people are underestimating his athletic ability and all-around game. He's working diligently on all aspects of his game, particularly his handle and ability to score in mid-range and off the bounce. This kid is also a stone cold assassin in crunch time. He needs to put on more than a few pounds but this kid can be special. Correction: Malachi WILL BE special.

Moustapha has no such concerns with his frame. I've seen him close about and this man is built like a truck. Huge tree trunk legs give the Moose a big-time base. One of the things that always that jumps out at me (and everyone else who has watched him), is that he is ambidextrous. Moose has a handful of go-to post moves (imagine that, SU fans!!!) and the last time I saw him live he was able to put the ball on the floor and take his guy off the bounce. He's not a weapon as a shot blocker but he should be able to get 1-2 a game.

As far as Franklin Howard and Tyler "Rotten" Lydon are concerned, they both seem promising. Howard should have a nice senior campaign after getting back his strength following knee surgery and should give us some versatility at the guard spot. I saw he and Moose live at the Mary Kline Classic and he wasn't favoring his surgery-repaired knee. I also had a chance to say hi to him and he seemed like a very nice kid

"Rotten" will make a great stretch 4, something we haven't had in a long time. He's another guy who gets labelled a shooter but can play above the rim. He does need to hit the weights big time. I named him "Rotten" after Johnny Rotten Lydon of s e x Pistols infamy and I hope it sticks. Good nickname IMO if I do say so myself.

Looking ahead to the 2014-2015 campaign, I'd say I'm guardedly optimistic. We really did lose a ton of production from last year. It seems to be an annual thing we deal with but one of these years it could lead to a down year. Now a "down year" for SU basketball would be a dream season for a lot of schools. Still, I expect us to be somewhere in the range of the 4th or 5th best team in the ACC, maybe 3rd best if JB does a great job of building chemistry with what will essentially be a new team. A tough non-conference slate will challenge us, as well as having to play Duke twice. Adding Louisville to the mix too, don't forget, and they are never an easy win, to say the very least.

I'm very sceptical that Roc Christmas will have a huge breakthrough senior season, like some have suggested. He just seems to me to the kind of guy without a fire for greatness. I am not saying he doesn't try. It's just that way too often he disappears from games. Some guys have BMW engines, some guys have Prius engines. Roc has a Prius engine. He's content doing 64 on the highway in the right lane. It's hard to teach a motor and it's hard to improve it. Roc has (by all accounts) been a model citizen and a great student (graduating in 3 years!), so I'm very happpy he's on the team. I just wish the guy got nasty on the court and realized how good he could be. I'd sign up for a 10 and 7 average from Roc in a heartbeat

Speaking of motors, that's my biggest concern with McCullough. From what I've seen, he needs to play with more fire but hopefully, finally playing with the big boys in college gets him motivated. If he wants to be one and done he'll need to play well. Yes, the NBA does draft on promise but if they see him dogging it out there, his stock will drop considerably. I'm sure JB will tell him that. Having to put food on the table can be a big motivator. I think he and Roc are huge keys to our team because if they play well, our team will be very good. This team is built for speed so if those two guys are playing good d, rebounding and blocking shots, our transition game could be lethal this year.

That leads me to my next focus, which is Kaleb Joseph. I think a lot of people are not really clear on what we have here. This kid will be a ton of fun to watch this year. He has a swagger about his game. He thrives in transition. He HAS a BMW motor. Kaleb loves to run. Great vision. Great mid-range. Great ability to change gears. Like Pat Healy, in There's Something About Mary, he "can run a little hot." LOL (weird reference, I know). I mean that he will make some mistakes because he plays a little helter skelter at times (I'm basing this mainly on youtubes and francis' reporting), but that's to be expected. One last thing: I love gym rats. Kaleb is a gym rat. Did I mention this kid will be a ton of fun to watch this year?

I am very optimistic about Tyler Roberson if he ever gets comfortable. He's a very introverted kid but there's a ton of promise there. I also saw him play in high school and he's a big time talent. I predict he'll be our leading rebounder. He also would benefit from a quicker pace. If this kid becomes more aggressive on the court, look out.

A few more bullet points:

**Trevor Cooney should work well in tandem with Kaleb's ability to penetrate...now, can TC knock down his shots with regularity? The drive and kick will be there in transition and halfcourt and I hope they're working on their rapport. This could be a lethal 1-2 punch if Trevor is more consistent than he has been.

**BJ and Buss are the X factors. What will their roles be? Buss seems like he could be a gunner off the bench and BJ should see some floor time due to his versatility. I think BJ gets some time, predominantly at the 3, whereas to me Buss should steal some minutes from Cooney, especially in those games where TC can't find the bottom of the net. Buss could be a factor at the PG if his handle is sufficient but I still think JB will lean on Silent G to get some lead guard minutes.

**I hope Coleman comes back and is able to pitch in a little. He's an easy kid to root for. Even 10 minutes a game from him could be huge with our lack of depth at the 5. I juist hope he's okay to play and confident enough to play. If he's not confident (because he fears injury), he won't be effective, even if he's healthy.

**I hope Chino is at least ready to contribute as a rebounder and energy guy. I can't expect much more from a kid who has such limited experience playing basketball.

**I look for Silent G to be a glue guy and play a variety of roles. His role may be similar to last year but hopefully, he brings the aggression on offense he showed down the stretch last year. He played pretty well the last few weeks last season and I was a detractor. I just hope that other guys step up, so he doesn't have to play huge minutes. I see Gbinije as a contributor more so than a big time scorer.

**Thanks for reading and... Let's go, Orange!!!!!

ps: Any mods know how I can fix an issue I've been having: I try to post at work and then the site makes me post a poll and even so, my post does not go through...I get a pop up that says, "post a valid message." Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.
great post and I believe xmas and cooney will come thru. all su teams since 74,75 have come up w/ an answer, even the 3 ot game in the first big east tourney when my guys were snubbed by the ncaa because of the auto birth rule. Boeheims teams may lose a few games they are not supposed to but like jb they never quit. I remember marty head and company getting blown out by mark aguirre led depaul some years ago, but you what? those kids played there hearts out and that is the signature of boeheim. love him or hate him but never accuse the man of not standing up for what he believes is right. He is su basketball and will be a legend forever. ps don't give a rats behind what you young coaches think

Iommi, regarding your work computer issue, it's a compatibility issue. Someplace above the site on your browser, should be an icon or drop down (tools) for compatibility view. Click that and you should be fine. There are a couple old threads on it on the support and suggestions board if you want to go searching.

Good post... try to be more detailed next time though. ;)

Really pumped about Richardson and Lydon as shooters... love the 3 ball

Iommi, congrats on your 4444th, and thank you for taking the time and effort to make it special. As others have already said, posts like that make the offseason wait more bearable. I also wanted to again say I have great respect for your screen name and the guy it gives tribute to. Your post reminds us that we have a lot to look forward to in the next couple of seasons, regardless of the question marks. You're a great asset to the board and I know you'll keep up the good work.

With your [and others] discussion of 2015 recruiting, there is no mention of Bryant [late of Rochester]. Can someone explain why? For a long time he was a top target and considered a top national recruit. Since he transferred to a prep school last year, not much has been mentioned of him. If I remember correctly there was a comment last season of him attending a game when he was home on break (un-offical visit)

That's good stuff, iommi, and probably longer than all of my posts combined. May you have as much fun with your next 4444.

I do think Mike G is sitting on a big season. He really showed flashes of being a fine player last season as he knocked off the rust and gained playing experience. He's versatile, plays solid defense, still has upside offensively and is now one of the more experienced returning players. JB loves to ride smart, experienced players who understand his system (particularly so with a young team), so I expect to see Mike getting a lot of minutes and being a big contributor.

I also think Rak will flourish as a senior, particularly if he becomes more of a focus on offense. If DC2 returns and contributes significantly, I think this team is poised to become one of JB's better under-the-radar teams and make a nice run in March.

Last edited:
Awesome post. Obviously there's a lot of question marks like how much the freshmen will contribute and who of the returning players will improve the most. I look forward to finding out.

As far as playing time, coach has a lot to work with. There may not be an upper tier of players, so he can probably play a little more chess. If he wants to push it, he can go more Joseph. If he wants length, he can go with G. If he wants to space the floor, go with BJ at the 3. Hopefully we can use these resources to our advantage.

First great post and great timing, this is exactly the time of year we need posts like these so thanks.

Second, I completely agree with your take on Joseph and I too love gym rats. After everything i have read about him, I am already a huge fan (I really liked Ennis and MCW too but for reasons that I think will be different than Joseph)

I would love to see your take on both expected lineup/playing time and wishful thinking lineup/playing time.

PS: I include you in the posters that make this place a great visit/read. I too have been reading/posting for over a decade over various incarnations

Thanks for the compliment. I enjoy reading your posts as well.

As far as playing time goes, it's too early to say IMO. It's going to be very interesting to see how the playing time is divided because out of our 10 guys, I'd say 6 of them can play multiple positions. The only guys who I see only playing one position are Cooney (2), Joseph (1), Coleman (5) and Chino (5). I'm not positive Chino is a pure 5 but that would be my guess. Joseph is a slasher so he could be effective off the ball but I doubt he does anything other than play PG this year...plus, why create even more of a logjam at the 2?

I am really interested to see what role Buss plays. If he gets a chance to see meaningful minutes is it only as a 2-guard or could he fight for some PG duty if his handle is up to it?

I hope BJ is our primary 3 backup, with G sprinkled in there as well.

Good post but I'm not going to call any player "Rotten" unless he is. (I also didn't call James Southerland "Dirty"- I know that's what his teammates called him but I just didn't like the sound of it).

Also, Muslim names often have specific meanings that mean something to the person. From what I've found on the net "Moustapha", (from Mustapha) means "The Chosen One" and Rakeem, (Rakim) is a reference to the Egyptian Sun God. I don't know if that's what those names mean to those players but I wonder how much they want to be called "Moose" and "Roc". I've used "Rak" as short for Rakeem but that doesn't change the meaning of it. Maybe this isn't important but it's a thought that occurred to me.

Good post but I'm not going to call any player "Rotten" unless he is. (I also didn't call James Southerland "Dirty"- I know that's what his teammates called him but I just didn't like the sound of it).

Also, Muslim names often have specific meanings that mean something to the person. From what I've found on the net "Moustapha", (from Mustapha) means "The Chosen One" and Rakeem, (Rakim) is a reference to the Egyptian Sun God. I don't know if that's what those names mean to those players but I wonder how much they want to be called "Moose" and "Roc". I've used "Rak" as short for Rakeem but that doesn't change the meaning of it. Maybe this isn't important but it's a thought that occurred to me.
I get what you're saying but we do use these affectionately here. I wonder if they mind or not but I'm sure most if not all would be cool, that these are not derogatory in any way. I will probably get to ask one or two of them this fall (friend of a friend sort of thing, maybe 6 degrees of Cuse separation?). :)

This is an overreaction. First off, this is a message board. I'm not putting the nicknames in a mainstream news article or blog. As far as Christmas is concerned, he has posted on twitter and elsewhere that he prefers "Roc." It's his chosen moniker. He likes it so much, he named his dog, "Little Roc."