My (Belated) Take | Syracusefan.com

My (Belated) Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Got to the game shortly after the doors of the Dome opened. Important to get a good parking space with a big crowd given what a mess exiting the Dome parking lots has been this season (due to construction and some really bad policies).

Good turnout by the students. This group was consistently loud. The big cartoon head of an old guy with a green hat...what was that supposed to be? Peter Coleman? Strange. Definitely not a memorable year for big heads or originality, but you can't have everything.

The locals turned out in force. There was even some tailgating. The weather was nice...I played golf shortly before leaving for the game. Around 50, windy but very pleasant otherwise. Strange walking to a basketball game in a spring jacket, with some people not even wearing jackets. Onondaga Lake never froze this year. Maybe that has some good mojo associated with it.

God bless the people that paid $38 to watch a game 80 yards away. I can't imagine they could see much of anything from there. Just watched the game on the replay boards, I would imagine.

Juli's gift to everyone who attended was an orange piece of foam that I guess you were supposed to wave. Didn't see much of that but I did see some pretty impressive hats made of those things. Well done peeps.

Former SU MIKE Jake Flaherty sang the NA and did his usual fine job. As a tribute to native Canadian Kris Joesph, he also sang the Canadian national anthem. Nailed that one too. It is a nice song. When the seniors were introduced, KJ and Scoop got about the same loud ovations. KJ did a better job holding his framed uni up, holding it over his head. Scoop held his in front of his face. Major mistake that was unfortunately a foreshadowing of what was to come.

UL is an awful team offensively, at least against a zone defense. They did as bad a job attacking the zone as any team in the conference. Siva did a fine job getting into the paint and causing problems in the game at UL but in this game, SU was prepared for this and the guards did a good job cutting him off and preventing him from accessing the interior of the zone. No one else was able to get it in there either. Worse, they did a lot of damage in Louisville on the offensive boards, but SU rebounded much better on the defensive end and UL was basically left to force bad 3s that often struggled to even hit the rim. And they made some bad turnovers that was cashed into points almost immediately. Not a good coaching job by Pitino, but frankly, he doesn't have a lot to work with against a good zone. Kuric should have been given a chance to get the ball at the high post more. Don't understand why they didn't try that much.

SU looked a bit tight early and struggled to get points for a while as well. Took too many 3s at the start of the game, didn't get penetration or movement. The UL zone is a good one. They collapsed on the inside players and dared us to hit 3s. This led to extended PT for JS and BT. Thankfully, both played well, we got some transition baskets and opened up a nice lead.

I think the good rebounding allowed BT and DW to sometimes sneak out and get into transition for easy baskets. Some nice long passes to set up scores...mostly made by BT.

It is a shame that Scoop, who has been quite consistent this season, especially in league play, was not able to get his game together on Senior Day. But I guess it is kind of fitting for Scoop, who might be the most inconsistent player we have ever had. Also a little sad that MCW didn't get much PT and did not play well in the little playing time he was able to get. But you can't have everything.

I feel lucky to have watched this team. It has been a special year. These guys have accomplished a ton of things that were unthinkable at the start of the year. The defense has been remarkable, the consistency has been memorable, the ability to make plays down the stretch uncanny. I don't know what these guys will accomplish in the post season but the regular season was awesome.

War Damn Otto!

Got to the game shortly after the doors of the Dome opened. Important to get a good parking space with a big crowd given what a mess exiting the Dome parking lots has been this season (due to construction and some really bad policies).

Good turnout by the students. This group was consistently loud. The big cartoon head of an old guy with a green hat...what was that supposed to be? Peter Coleman? Strange. Definitely not a memorable year for big heads or originality, but you can't have everything.

The locals turned out in force. There was even some tailgating. The weather was nice...I played golf shortly before leaving for the game. Around 50, windy but very pleasant otherwise. Strange walking to a basketball game in a spring jacket, with some people not even wearing jackets. Onondaga Lake never froze this year. Maybe that has some good mojo associated with it.

God bless the people that paid $38 to watch a game 80 yards away. I can't imagine they could see much of anything from there. Just watched the game on the replay boards, I would imagine.

Juli's gift to everyone who attended was an orange piece of foam that I guess you were supposed to wave. Didn't see much of that but I did see some pretty impressive hats made of those things. Well done peeps.

Former SU MIKE Jake Flaherty sang the NA and did his usual fine job. As a tribute to native Canadian Kris Joesph, he also sang the Canadian national anthem. Nailed that one too. It is a nice song. When the seniors were introduced, KJ and Scoop got about the same loud ovations. KJ did a better job holding his framed uni up, holding it over his head. Scoop held his in front of his face. Major mistake that was unfortunately a foreshadowing of what was to come.

UL is an awful team offensively, at least against a zone defense. They did as bad a job attacking the zone as any team in the conference. Siva did a fine job getting into the paint and causing problems in the game at UL but in this game, SU was prepared for this and the guards did a good job cutting him off and preventing him from accessing the interior of the zone. No one else was able to get it in there either. Worse, they did a lot of damage in Louisville on the offensive boards, but SU rebounded much better on the defensive end and UL was basically left to force bad 3s that often struggled to even hit the rim. And they made some bad turnovers that was cashed into points almost immediately. Not a good coaching job by Pitino, but frankly, he doesn't have a lot to work with against a good zone. Kuric should have been given a chance to get the ball at the high post more. Don't understand why they didn't try that much.

SU looked a bit tight early and struggled to get points for a while as well. Took too many 3s at the start of the game, didn't get penetration or movement. The UL zone is a good one. They collapsed on the inside players and dared us to hit 3s. This led to extended PT for JS and BT. Thankfully, both played well, we got some transition baskets and opened up a nice lead.

I think the good rebounding allowed BT and DW to sometimes sneak out and get into transition for easy baskets. Some nice long passes to set up scores...mostly made by BT.

It is a shame that Scoop, who has been quite consistent this season, especially in league play, was not able to get his game together on Senior Day. But I guess it is kind of fitting for Scoop, who might be the most inconsistent player we have ever had. Also a little sad that MCW didn't get much PT and did not play well in the little playing time he was able to get. But you can't have everything.

I feel lucky to have watched this team. It has been a special year. These guys have accomplished a ton of things that were unthinkable at the start of the year. The defense has been remarkable, the consistency has been memorable, the ability to make plays down the stretch uncanny. I don't know what these guys will accomplish in the post season but the regular season was awesome.

War Damn Otto!
When I re-watched the spurt in the 1st half I noticed how fast all 5 players, including Fab got up the court. Dion made some nice passes on the break as well.

The big head of the guy with the green hat was from Coleman's Irish Pub - that was original

It's been fabulous following this team from afar, much like I did in 1959, when, as a freshman at the University of Arizona, I couldn't wait for the newspapers or magazines to hit the rack to catch up on my beloved Orangemen national champion football team (all pre ESPN and the internet!). I ended up transferring to Syracuse halfway through my sophomore year and never regretted it.

I was personally a pretty big fan of the Carrie Lazerus and Wayne Mahar big heads. Having lived in Indiana for 9 years now, I had almost forgotten how awesome local news celebrities are. Bravo to whoever made those.

DCCuse brought me the Coleman bighead, which I then gave to someone a few rows back to hold. They had a good time with it.

A few kids from the iSchool brought the Wayne Mahar and Jeff Rubin bigheads.

DCCuse brought me the Coleman bighead, which I then gave to someone a few rows back to hold.

Seeing it seriously made a dude in Cincinnati instantly crave a Beef O'Flaherty during the game, just know that.

That truth coupled with tomcats info on the former #45 singer of the Star-Spangler Banner and O Canada made me smile a bit as I was thinking that if Jake's girlfriend ordered that menu item in earshot of me I would giggle, just sayin...

Seeing it seriously made a dude in Cincinnati instantly crave a Beef O'Flaherty during the game, just know that.

I didn't know what that was, but then I looked it up...and...yeah, me too.

It is a shame that Scoop, who has been quite consistent this season, especially in league play, was not able to get his game together on Senior Day. But I guess it is kind of fitting for Scoop, who might be the most inconsistent player we have ever had.

I love the My Take series of posts and agree with most of what is said in all of them. This seems like an odd statement to me. I mean, Scoop is one of the most inconsistent players we've ever had? Maybe one of the most inconsistent good players we've ever had, but even then I'm not so sure. 10 regular season losses in 3 years seems like pretty good consistency to me (and yes, I realize there are a ton of factors involved, but solid PG play seems to be pretty important).

Everytime I hear "O, Canada!", I wish that our naitonal anthem was "America the Beautiful". They would go well together, both gentle, proud songs about the virtues of their countries. Any country can say that their flag was still there during a battle.

Everytime I hear "O, Canada!", I wish that our naitonal anthem was "America the Beautiful". They would go well together, both gentle, proud songs about the virtues of their countries. Any country can say that their flag was still there during a battle.

Agreed. Canada's anthem is a tremendous song.

I love the My Take series of posts and agree with most of what is said in all of them. This seems like an odd statement to me. I mean, Scoop is one of the most inconsistent players we've ever had? Maybe one of the most inconsistent good players we've ever had, but even then I'm not so sure. 10 regular season losses in 3 years seems like pretty good consistency to me (and yes, I realize there are a ton of factors involved, but solid PG play seems to be pretty important).
Very good point. Wasn't a good game for Scoop, but he didn't hang his head, or get moody. Scoop was probably as happy as anyone to see the win and to see BT and James get their games together. Great senior leader on a record-setting SU team.
As for what some see as "inconsistent" in Scoop's play, take a clue from JB. If your PG stays on the perimeter and passes the ball around, he can be consistent -- but won't get anything done. Scoop has the moxie to make plays. When you make aggressive PG plays, you can get easy finishes, but you sometimes don't complete plays. Good PGs take risks -- ideally, good things happen a lot of the time.

Very good point. Wasn't a good game for Scoop, but he didn't hang his head, or get moody. Scoop was probably as happy as anyone to see the win and to see BT and James get their games together. Great senior leader on a record-setting SU team.
As for what some see as "inconsistent" in Scoop's play, take a clue from JB. If your PG stays on the perimeter and passes the ball around, he can be consistent -- but won't get anything done. Scoop has the moxie to make plays. When you make aggressive PG plays, you can get easy finishes, but you sometimes don't complete plays. Good PGs take risks -- ideally, good things happen a lot of the time.

Yup, I honestly can't believe the criticism Scoop takes and tend to think it comes down to three factors:

1) He's not Jonny Flynn in the talent/production department. I still maintain that Flynn was not particularly great at running a team until the second half of his sophomore season, but that's nit-picking. Ultimately he was just a really good, extremely talented player the likes of which are few and far between. It's hard for many to digest that you can be a good player without being a great one -- particularly if you tend to occasionally make a truly mystifyingly bad play.

2) He's a risk-taker and, as you mention, that can drive people batty when it doesn't work out.

3) He's played his entire career in an era of not only ESPN and all of it's channels, but regional sports networks like MASN, and ESPN 3, etc., that make almost every game not only televised, but easy to record and play back later. Even as recently as the mid-2000s we weren't able to stream games (that I know of) and I don't believe MASN (for me personally) was showing anywhere near the number of SU games. Regardless, the more people see, the more it leaves you vulnerable to criticism.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom