My Big East Bowl Projections | Syracusefan.com

My Big East Bowl Projections

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
I am going to try to update this weekly going forward...I welcome anyone who would like to to add their own, and comment/rip apart mine...

Current Standings

Team Conf. W-L Overall W-L
Cincinnati 2-0 6-1
Rutgers 2-1 5-2
Syracuse 1-1 5-2
West Virginia 1-1 5-2
Connecticut 1-1 3-4
Louisville 1-1 3-4
Pittsburgh 1-1 3-4
South Florida
0-3
4-3

Now...the first question its worth asking ourselves at this point...how many teams will actually be bowl eligible based on what we are looking at right now? The top 4 look to be in very good shape, clearly. South Florida would have been too had they managed that upset this weekend. Now, they are still ok as far as eligibility, but that 0-3 conference record is ugly.

Bowl Tie Ins

BCS
Champs Sports Bowl
Belk Bowl
Pinstripe Bowl
Compass Bank Bowl

Looking at the way the schedule breaks the rest of the way...I think it's virtually impossible to predict who wins this conference. A quick analysis:

Syracuse may actually have the easiest schedule the rest of the way. They get Cinci at home...and USF at home...then beyond that have road games at Louisville, at UConn, and at Pitt. They probably wont win them all...but there isnt a single game there that they shouldn't be in contention for.

West Virginia is in a dogfight. They Get the two teams on top of the conference ON THE ROAD. At Rutgers and at Cinci. If they win those two games, they will get the BCS bid IMO. But thats a tough tandem given what we saw out them this week.

Rutgers also has a manageable schedule the rest of the way. This week is MASSIVE for them. They win at home vs WVU (which I think is going to be tough...the Eers are going to be PISSED), I think they suddenly are in very strong position to win the conference.

And then there is Cinci. Clearly the front runner as far as standings go, they are the only one of these mentioned to have not played any of the other 4 yet. And they play 2 of them on the road. In some ways, despite their current standing, I think they may be in the worst position of the 4, at least as far as schedule goes. MUST win @ Pitt this week IMO.

I know it is mathematically possible for a number of other teams to win this conference, and if things shift (if Pitt wins vs Cinci for example), perhaps next week I will expand or contract the number I think are in legtimate contention to do so, but for now I am sticking with those 4.

Based on the way things look right now...I am still going to project WVU finds a way to sneak this thing out. I think they come out angry vs Rutgers and win there. Then, I think that they ultimately ride into Cinci on a renewed wave of confidence and get it done there as well.

Week 8 Bowl Projections
BCS- West Virginia
Champs Sports Bowl- Syracuse
Belk Bowl- Cincinnati
Pinstripe Bowl - Rutgers...note, I could see Syracuse and Rutgers flipping here based on how the remainder of the season shakes out...but this is what I got for now.
Compass Bank Bowl - USF (I had a REAL hard time deciding which, if any, of the remaining BE teams can get to 6...I expect a lot of them to beat each other up, and I think that the margin between the top 4 and the rest is greater than in past years...that said, despite their poor conference record, I like USF's chances to get 2 wins better than any of the other programs chances to get 3)

I am going to try to update this weekly going forward...I welcome anyone who would like to to add their own, and comment/rip apart mine...

Current Standings

Syracue is going to the Bcs and when they do I am calling you out and I expect you to eat crow

Team Conf. W-L Overall W-L
Cincinnati 2-0 6-1
Rutgers 2-1 5-2
Syracuse 1-1 5-2
West Virginia 1-1 5-2
Connecticut 1-1 3-4
Louisville 1-1 3-4
Pittsburgh 1-1 3-4
South Florida
0-3
4-3

Now...the first question its worth asking ourselves at this point...how many teams will actually be bowl eligible based on what we are looking at right now? The top 4 look to be in very good shape, clearly. South Florida would have been too had they managed that upset this weekend. Now, they are still ok as far as eligibility, but that 0-3 conference record is ugly.

Bowl Tie Ins

BCS
Champs Sports Bowl
Belk Bowl
Pinstripe Bowl
Compass Bank Bowl

Looking at the way the schedule breaks the rest of the way...I think it's virtually impossible to predict who wins this conference. A quick analysis:

Syracuse may actually have the easiest schedule the rest of the way. They get Cinci at home...and USF at home...then beyond that have road games at Louisville, at UConn, and at Pitt. They probably wont win them all...but there isnt a single game there that they shouldn't be in contention for.

West Virginia is in a dogfight. They Get the two teams on top of the conference ON THE ROAD. At Rutgers and at Cinci. If they win those two games, they will get the BCS bid IMO. But thats a tough tandem given what we saw out them this week.

Rutgers also has a manageable schedule the rest of the way. This week is MASSIVE for them. They win at home vs WVU (which I think is going to be tough...the Eers are going to be PISSED), I think they suddenly are in very strong position to win the conference.

And then there is Cinci. Clearly the front runner as far as standings go, they are the only one of these mentioned to have not played any of the other 4 yet. And they play 2 of them on the road. In some ways, despite their current standing, I think they may be in the worst position of the 4, at least as far as schedule goes. MUST win @ Pitt this week IMO.

I know it is mathematically possible for a number of other teams to win this conference, and if things shift (if Pitt wins vs Cinci for example), perhaps next week I will expand or contract the number I think are in legtimate contention to do so, but for now I am sticking with those 4.

Based on the way things look right now...I am still going to project WVU finds a way to sneak this thing out. I think they come out angry vs Rutgers and win there. Then, I think that they ultimately ride into Cinci on a renewed wave of confidence and get it done there as well.

Week 8 Bowl Projections
BCS- West Virginia
Champs Sports Bowl- Syracuse
Belk Bowl- Cincinnati
Pinstripe Bowl - Rutgers...note, I could see Syracuse and Rutgers flipping here based on how the remainder of the season shakes out...but this is what I got for now.
Compass Bank Bowl - USF (I had a REAL hard time deciding which, if any, of the remaining BE teams can get to 6...I expect a lot of them to beat each other up, and I think that the margin between the top 4 and the rest is greater than in past years...that said, despite their poor conference record, I like USF's chances to get 2 wins better than any of the other programs chances to get 3)

Gotta account for ND in these. Champs Sports Bowl will most definitely take them now that they have NO shot at a BCS game.

ND still has Stanford, Wake Forest, Navy, and Maryland. They could end up ineligible for a bowl game. We all know how terrible they can play down the stretch.

ND still has Stanford, Wake Forest, Navy, and Maryland. They could end up ineligible for a bowl game. We all know how terrible they can play down the stretch.
That's also possible. But if they're eligible in any way for a bowl, I think Champs has the right of first refusal on them, no matter what the record of the BE teams are.

If they are 6-6 I believe that makes the ineligible for the Champ Sports Bowl.

I don't think there are actually tie-ins, are there? I thought this was discussed last year. It isn't that we are automatically in X bowl because we ended up in X place. Don't we get a choice? Outside of what the 1st place team and ND (if ahead of us). Like, if we finish second, we can choose to play in the Pinstripe, even though its for the 4th place team. I didn't think it was automatic affiliation, rather its the decision of the school. That said. If we finish 3rd - I think we could "choose" to play in the pinstripe blow. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong about this, I just thought that it was more of a the higher you finish, the higher your "pick" of a game you get.

the bowls get the choices not the schools. some negotiations might gone on though.

lets just get to 7 and then worry about where..

the bowls get the choices not the schools. some negotiations might gone on though.

lets just get to 7 and then worry about where..

Thats what it is, thanks.

it seems like every week its huge for the teams just to get to a bowl game..

Wv needs to win this week or it could get ugly. they got exposed but still gained 400 yds and scored almost 30.. can rutgers get to 30

Rutgers. can they win the league with no offense. even the win over pitt they only had about 250 yds. you can win with defense and ST play but you usually need to have some running game as well. has any team done it with no running and poor passing as well?

USF plays poorly on the road on top of losing at home to Cinci.. but going to rutgers and back to SU will be alot to ask of a bad road team..

UL-Pitt-uconn who knows but the Wed game pitt-uconn probably takes the other team out of anything.

Su - getting the week of to play Cinci is huge. we need to take care of business the next 2 weeks and make the USF game really huge

cinci looks to be on top since they can score and have the running qb threat.

If we don't get the BCS bid and IF ND takes the Champs, I bet we get the Belk Bowl game.

Cheers,
Neil

Yep let's get to 7 wins first - we just need to win the next game and have the girls lose to an angry bee (SU) stung WVA team.

If they are 6-6 I believe that makes the ineligible for the Champ Sports Bowl.

I believe you're right. Last I remember it ND has to be at least 7-5 and within 2 wins of a BE team. Meaning, a 7-5 ND couldn't get the bid over a 10-2 BE team but they could take it over a 9-3 one.

IB, feel free to call me out...like I said, I plan to update as we go so it wont be buried.

Obviously, as a fan, I think this team after yesterday can beat anyone in this conference. And they absolutely have a shot at the BCS. But they remind me of the Giants in the sense that their range between their highs and lows is massive. Which makes them inherently unpredictable.

That said, I think the same can be said for WVU. Hell, so far, the entire league.

Bottom line...its highly fluid. I would like nothing more than for Syracuse to get the BCS bid. Honestly, if we beat Cinci, the following update in this thread likely reflects that.

If we are even smelling bcs it will be a tough time for usf or cincy to beat us at home. We have a few weeks to sell tickets and I think that people will show up in droves if we win the next two. I think the dome noise when it's rocking juices our players and makes it impossible for other teams to communicate. We truly have a great home-field advantage if we need it for big games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very likely and Rutgers still can't run the ball which is the best way to beat WVU ... that game could be ugly ... big time.

WVU is going to score 50 on the girls this weekend count on it they will blow them out

For me, and several others I have talked to, it's BCS or Pinstripe that I want.

I'd like Champs for a couple reasons. Living in Orlando is the most obvious one, however, I also think it shows improvement of the program to the next best option outside of BCS. Especially if next year they could somehow make a BCS bowl. It would show 3 years of marked improvement.

It would also be great if we were in the Champs against an old rival (and soon to be future renewed) like Miami or VT.

IB, feel free to call me out...like I said, I plan to update as we go so it wont be buried.

Obviously, as a fan, I think this team after yesterday can beat anyone in this conference. And they absolutely have a shot at the BCS. But they remind me of the Giants in the sense that their range between their highs and lows is massive. Which makes them inherently unpredictable.

That said, I think the same can be said for WVU. Hell, so far, the entire league.

Bottom line...its highly fluid. I would like nothing more than for Syracuse to get the BCS bid. Honestly, if we beat Cinci, the following update in this thread likely reflects that.

I think having Jones and Thomas back on D will pay huge dividends. Honestly if they are both available for the RU game we beat them and I think we even give USC a tougher time on the defensive side of the ball. USF and Pitt just look real sloppy and honestly I don't know what to make of Cincy ... I think we have a great shot at a BCS berth ... I also think we have a great shot at winning out ... I am keeping my fingers crossed on that one. I would love it if we capture the BCS bid an then leave the BE early ... a nice going away present :)

pinstripe also gets little from rutgers.. no travel/hotel money or spending in the city as the locals will just go to and from home..

I think having Jones and Thomas back on D will pay huge dividends. Honestly if they are both available for the RU game we beat them and I think we even give USC a tougher time on the defensive side of the ball. USF and Pitt just look real sloppy and honestly I don't know what to make of Cincy ... I think we have a great shot at a BCS berth ... I also think we have a great shot at winning out ... I am keeping my fingers crossed on that one. I would love it if we capture the BCS bid an then leave the BE early ... a nice going away present :)

I thought Shamarko played very poorly. Hopefully it was just rust.

There were a few times he seemed to have lapses but he is extremely physical and once he gets back into form he will contribute more. Honestly he hits like a ton of bricks which is exactly what we needed on Friday ... WVU was just flat out run over and out muscled, Jones and Thomas are ideal for that mindset.

I thought Shamarko played very poorly. Hopefully it was just rust.

If WVU takes the BCS spot which I doubt, I believe SU either gets the Pinstripe Bowl against Texas or Missouri or the Belk Bowl against North Carolina. The reason why js the Big East has the stigma of not traveling well outside of WVU, and since Notre Dame is going to take the Champ Sports Bowl it the Bowls available are the Belk Bowl, Pinstripe Bowl, Birmingham (Old Pizza Bowl) Bowl, and Beef O'Brady's Bowl. Now if the Pinstripe Bowl has a choice between RU or SU it could go either way, but since it is looking more and more like the North Carolna Tarheels won't be a factor in the ACC the Belk Bowl will want them to fill the stadium, and give the Belk Bowl the opportunity to take the highest finisher in the Big East.

If WVU takes the BCS spot which I doubt, I believe SU either gets the Pinstripe Bowl against Texas or Missouri or the Belk Bowl against North Carolina. The reason why js the Big East has the stigma of not traveling well outside of WVU, and since Notre Dame is going to take the Champ Sports Bowl it the Bowls available are the Belk Bowl, Pinstripe Bowl, Birmingham (Old Pizza Bowl) Bowl, and Beef O'Brady's Bowl. Now if the Pinstripe Bowl has a choice between RU or SU it could go either way, but since it is looking more and more like the North Carolna Tarheels won't be a factor in the ACC the Belk Bowl will want them to fill the stadium, and give the Belk Bowl the opportunity to take the highest finisher in the Big East.

Either way I doubt a bowl would take RU to play UNC ... bowls aren't big on regular season rematches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom