My Goodness, this is heartbreaking | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

My Goodness, this is heartbreaking

All i can say right now is that i hope that effin coward ends up someplace worse than hell...hell is too good for that effer!!!

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

It seems to me that our society is developing some serious issues that will persist even if all the guns were gone. That being the case squabling about automatic weapons is as useless as trying to limit the top speed of cars our something. The people doing these things and the reason they have become the way they are is the real issue and that is far more complicated and wide spread an issue than gun control.

The key is to limit the collateral damage.

As you see with the China incident, the knife didn't prevent the attack from occurring, but limited collateral damage significantly.

Society is part of the problem, but there is no way to fix society.

I can see that going the way of the bomb. Bombs take a lot of work to get to where they can do damage. If it gets to the point where guns that shoot an inordinate number of rounds requires that much work, lives are saved.

In addition he could just google "Texas A&M" and "mass shooting" alone and see what occurred this past August. Didn't make national headlines though, we're getting desensitized because it is happening so often. It's now about numbers and the ages of the victims if it is headline news. Silly and uninformed to say Texas is a panacea from the gun issues because of lax gun laws. It's so so sick what our society is tolerating and politicizing while innocents die.

That's another thing that's so sad. We'll probably remember today. And I knew about the clock tower in Austin and that nut at Fort Hood. But I didn't remember those other ones. It's rotten that we've all given our tacit approval of this problem; episodes in which six people are shot to death should spark national outrage. Instead, they're barely blips on the radar.

It's a curious, sad American phenomenon. Tens of thousands are slaughtered every year by humans wielding guns and automobiles; instead of seeking a solution (or acknowledging that a problem exists), most citizens would rather shout at one another about rights versus restrictions, freedom versus rules. Nothing gets done.

I would tend to agree with regard to identifying the shooter, no name, no fame, let him burn anonymously.
I honestly think this is something that should be put in place with these tragedies, though it's probably impossible.

The 2 reasons it is part of the Constitution is to provide us with a citizen militia in the event of an invasion & a pathway to overthrowing an oppressive government. It's pure genius & I thank our founding fathers for having the foresight to include it. I trust in them more than I trust any other opinion on the matter.
Yes. And the founders did so much to rid us of slavery and woman's rights. They were great but they weren't perfect. And they decided things and made decisions on things, based on the information they had at the time. Things and times change.

The 2 reasons it is part of the Constitution is to provide us with a citizen militia in the event of an invasion & a pathway to overthrowing an oppressive government. It's pure genius & I thank our founding fathers for having the foresight to include it. I trust in them more than I trust any other opinion on the matter.
You realize there was an actual need for a militia and overthrowing oppressive governments was a timely subject back then, and not so much now, right? Things change.

While we are at it why don't we continue to count blacks as 3/5 people. Maybe throw in a new law about defending ourselves in the event that dinosaurs come back too?

I do not oppose people owning a rifle for hunting. But this kid used a .223 Bushmaster assault rifle on children. What possible use could a citizen have got an assault rifle?

I've always found it kind of strange how this culture (historically) seems to get all riled up about nudity and sex in movies and television, but violence in movies and television seems to get a pass.

There is a theory that violence in movies etc tends to desensitize people about the effects. I'm not saying that the theory is legit, but it sure makes me wonder.

The federal assault weapons ban expired September 13 2004, and has not been renewed by congress.

Thank God I have a Gun to protect me from enemies Foreign and Domestic.

That's just not true:

September 1999 - a gunman opened fire at a prayer service in Fort Worth, Texas, killing six people before committing suicide.

July 2009 - Six people, including one student, were shot in a drive-by shooting at a community rally on the campus of Texas Southern University, Houston.
November 2009 - U.S. army psychologist Major Nidal Hasan opened fire at a military base in Fort Hood, Texas, leaving 13 dead and 42 others wounded.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...mass-shootings-in-the-US-since-Columbine.html

Isn't it kind of strange to like a post that is pointing out three mass killings?

It's also strange this debate is being had on the "Syracuse basketball forum."

I understand the OP's are well-meaning and I too appreciate a heads up to a tragedy but history tells us where this is going to lead. I spend too much time on the OT board as it is and am comforted that I can go to the hoops board and not have political debate.

Most of us have kids, or families, etc, and we're all sad. Leave the rest for the OT board.

You realize there was an actual need for a militia and overthrowing oppressive governments was a timely subject back then, and not so much now, right? Things change.
I'm not sure that the potential for these problems has decreased substantially.

The federal assault weapons ban expired September 13 2004, and has not been renewed by congress.
I thought so. I have been told that I was wrong on that in this very thread but I vaguely, and this isn't a hot topic for me, remember that W didn't continue the ban that Clinton had established.

Isn't it kind of strange to like a post that is pointing out three mass killings?

It's also strange this debate is being had on the "Syracuse basketball forum."

I understand the OP's are well-meaning and I too appreciate a heads up to a tragedy but history tells us where this is going to lead. I spend too much time on the OT board as it is and am comforted that I can go to the hoops board and not have political debate.

Most of us have kids, or families, etc, and we're all sad. Leave the rest for the OT board.
ignore the thread then. This is kind of a big story today.

ignore the thread then. This is kind of a big story today.

Gotcha, that's how it works. I didn't realize big stories are prevented from being discussed on the OT board and it's ok for politics and rude exchanges on a basketball board. I must not understand what's ok and when.

Gotcha, that's how it works. I didn't realize big stories are prevented from being discussed on the OT board and it's ok for politics and rude exchanges on a basketball board. I must not understand what's ok and when.
that wasn't a shot at you. But there are some stories that override the hoop news. I know you agree that there are some stories that would belong here. Emotions are running high here today. 20 children are dead. This will not last. Just ignore the thread and move on. Tomorrow, it won't be here.

For those saying this isn't the time to talk about gun control, don't you think the parents of the victims sure as wish people would start talking about gun control right about now?

that wasn't a shot at you. But there are some stories that override the hoop news. I know you agree that there are some stories that would belong here. Emotions are running high here today. 20 children are dead. This will not last. Just ignore the thread and move on. Tomorrow, it won't be here.

Sorry Dash, didn't mean to sound jerky...I just seriously don't understand when something is moved to OT because as we've seen on the OT, inevitably, the exchanges will get uncivil. I hear you, though. As my wife was leaving work to get our daughter, the same age as the kids that died, she's sobbing. At first, I thought she had just gotten in an accident...

I honestly think this is something that should be put in place with these tragedies, though it's probably impossible.
Good idea. That is the reason they don't show people/streakers running on baseball fields during games. Why can't the same logic be used here?

Sorry Dash, didn't mean to sound jerky...I just seriously don't understand when something is moved to OT because as we've seen on the OT, inevitably, the exchanges will get uncivil. I hear you, though. As my wife was leaving work to get our daughter, the same age as the kids that died, she's sobbing. At first, I thought she had just gotten in an accident...
It is a tough day for all of us. Hug your kids.

this thread should have been locked at least 7 pages ago. Shame on many of you. Oh Lord

One final word- my son is a wreck as you can imagine.
They closed early, hospitals are jammed, and its just heartbreaking.
I can understand the emotions of everyone about this gut issue, and no one should blame or accuse each other based on our immediate reactions, no matter how inappropriate we feel they are.
I'm a gun-owner myself, as is my son, but that debate should've been omitted for another day.
My only issue was to the timing of this thread- I could care less who made the more cogent points or who sounded assinine...it just simply wasn't the time. And I do hope a serious, meaningful, impactful discussion takes place...and soon.
Please hug your kids today and pray for the families.

I can't believe that most of this thread became political. Both sides, take it to the OT board or . This is one of the most terrible and heartbreaking tragedies that could happen. The OP was NOT about gun laws and you each should be ashamed for taking it there. Its fine with a tragedy of this magnitude to discuss it on any board. But the politics should be on the OT board, especially when this should be about the dead children and not each of your opinions on gun control.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I can't believe that most of this thread became political. Both sides, take it to the OT board or . This is one of the most terrible and heartbreaking tragedies that could happen. The OP was NOT about gun laws and you each should be ashamed for taking it there. Its fine with a tragedy of this magnitude to discuss it on any board. But the politics should be on the OT board, especially when this should be about the dead children and not each of your opinions on gun control.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I don't understand why so many people are unable to make the important distinction between politics and everyday social and policy opinions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom