My Goodness, this is heartbreaking | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

My Goodness, this is heartbreaking

This is truly one of the most heartbreaking stories I've heard about , and my thoughts and prayers go out to the community and all of the families affected.

Obviously gun control is going to be front and center for the next few weeks, but IMO, we are looking in the wrong area. The mental health system should be the starting point to curbing this type of violence before it escalates into situations such as these. Taking guns away will not cure the mentally ill and the sociopaths among us. In every one of these unfortunate stories we hear how the assailant showed signs of mental instability, yet little or no action was taken. Guns could be completely outlawed, but I don't think it's unreasonable to assume these individuals could and would obtain a handgun if they really wanted to, and end up with the same result.

Yeah and neither party wants to even have a discussion about guns in America because of the NRA and millions of yahoos that say that over 200 years ago our brillant forefathers gauranteed the unfethered right in the Constitution.

F the politics man, how about you show some compassion in a time like this?

Lol! Of Course they don't! Put it in the hands of an unstable person and this is what you get! It's amazing how people justify things! Crack or cocaine doesn't tell someone to smoke it doesn't kill someone immediately But it's Illegal for a reason!

Then try to figure out how to keep them from unstable people. I could figure out how to kill more people by poisoning them with legal stuff doesnt mean that stuff should be illegal.

First, there is a move as I'm sure you are aware to recind the automatic ban. Second, a lot of weapons can be converted in to automatic weapons very easily.

There is no serious effort to overturn the NFA that I have heard of and secondly, coverting a weapon to be capable of automatic fire is illegal. As in already against the law.

Why don't you sit this one out chief...you've already betrayed an embarassing lack of knowledge of our gun control laws.
Chief?? What are you even doing on this thread? You made a big deal about not liking ot threads earlier this week. A post like this following that makes you look like a total clown. What I am referring to, asshat, is guns that can fire more than 8 rounds. No need for them. That should be clear enough even for you. We have 18 kids killed. Stick your comments up your ass.

20121215-SHOOTING-slide-Q2KA-hpLarge.jpg

So sad. "Gifts for their kids who aren't coming home".

Chief?? What are you even doing on this thread? You made a big deal about not liking ot threads earlier this week. A post like this following that makes you look like a total clown. What I am referring to, asshat, is guns that can fire more than 8 rounds. No need for them. That should be clear enough even for you. We have 18 kids killed. Stick your comments up your ass.

Personal attacks are not acceptable on this forum.

You SPECIFICALLY referenced Auto weapons without realizing that they are illegal and that converting a non-automatic to fully auto is also illegal. You got up on your high horse with your douchebag political agenda and talked out of your ass and now you're backpedalling.

Families just lost their children 2 weeks before christmas and you want to turn this into a political football. You are the worst kind of person.

I lived 30 minutes from Columbine when the shooting there took place, and although I was only six years old I remember just how devastating that was on the community, let alone the families involved. My heart and prays go out to everyone in the area, especially the families. No one deserves this kind of anguish in their lives, especially during this time of year.

Personal attacks are not acceptable on this forum.

You SPECIFICALLY referenced Auto weapons without realizing that they are illegal and that converting a non-automatic to fully auto is also illegal. You got up on your high horse with your douchebag political agenda and talked out of your ass and now you're backpedalling.

Families just lost their children 2 weeks before christmas and you want to turn this into a political football. You are the worst kind of person.
I am the worst type of person? But personal attacks aren't allowed on this forum. I liked the chief line as well. Maybe it's time for you to go back to the UConn board and pick fights over there. I am not back pedalling on anything. I believe people have the right to a firearm to protrect themseleves. I believe hunters have the right to a rifle to hunt. That is it. Pretty clear. Even for you to understand. But again, what are you doing here? Just the other day, you said that there is no place for this on this board. Made a @sshole of yourself about it. Now here you are, with your agenda. Sad. There must be a board you can go to casue some trouble. The worst type of person is a NRA shill that cares more about people having any type of weapon when we have children getting killed. Go back to the UConn board. You are way over your head here. You are dismissed.

There is no serious effort to overturn the NFA that I have heard of and secondly, coverting a weapon to be capable of automatic fire is illegal. As in already against the law.
Isn't it pretty easy to do the conversion though? Ie convert a legal weapon into an illegal one? Do they require psychological testing before a gun purchase? I know nothing about guns so forgive the ignorance...but to me IF there is a way to make it harder to do the conversion (ie change the technology), require that gun owners at least have a track record of stability, restrict the numbers of guns a person owns, etc, than that may make sense. I was however struck by the stat that in Canada there are way more guns and way less gun crime. That seems to point towards some other causation. Complicated issue...

I like your posts. Nearly all of them.

But these are a couple wild leaps that read more like a set of talking points than actual thoughts. This is most definitely not a question of "more government" or any such thing.

I here you, and perhaps i'm not expressing my main point properly which is guns are not the problem and greater control is not the answer. It seems to me that our society is developing some serious issues that will persist even if all the guns were gone. That being the case squabling about automatic weapons is as useless as trying to limit the top speed of cars our something. The people doing these things and the reason they have become the way they are is the real issue and that is far more complicated and wide spread an issue than gun control.

It's amazing how one thread can cause you to lose respect for some many posters - on both sides of this debate. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. What a horrific day.

I am the worst type of person? But personal attacks aren't allowed on this forum. I liked the chief line as well. Maybe it's time for you to go back to the UConn board and pick fights over there. I am not back pedalling on anything. I believe people have the right to a firearm to protrect themseleves. I believe hunters have the right to a rifle to hunt. That is it. Pretty clear. Even for you to understand. But again, what are you doing here? Just the other day, you said that there is no place for this on this board. Made a @sshole of yourself about it. Now here you are, with your agenda. Sad. There must be a board you can go to casue some trouble. The worst type of person is a NRA shill that cares more about people having any type of weapon when we have children getting killed. Go back to the UConn board. You are way over your head here. You are dismissed.

Did I say anything about banning guns? I said I was in favor of hunting rifles and handguns. One is used for gaming and the other is used for protection. What is the purpose of automatic weapons besides killing as many people as you can?.\

What I am referring to, asshat, is guns that can fire more than 8 rounds.

backpedal.

backpedal.
I have only said it in about 5 different posts. UConn board is calling. So what is your answer? Do nothing? Yeah, that works.

Not to get the discussion off of the topic of gun control, but the 18 students that were killed were kindergartners. Five year olds just starting their lives. To think that someone could look at a five year old and end his/her life is beyond me.

Not to get the discussion off of the topic of gun control, but the 18 students that were killed were kindergartners. Five year olds just starting their lives. To think that someone could look at a five year old and end his/her life is beyond me.

Jesus christ...

Does anyone else think these reporters do not need to be trying to interview elementary kids right now?
One other thing I wonder is if the media should not report the shooters name and anything specific about the shooter beyond age, gender, etc. I know that what I'm suggesting is a restriction on freedom, but it seems to me that a lot of these idiots want to be famous/infamous. Maybe taking that away would help...

One other thing I wonder is if the media should not report the shooters name and anything specific about the shooter beyond age, gender, etc. I know that what I'm suggesting is a restriction on freedom, but it seems to me that a lot of these idiots want to be famous/infamous. Maybe taking that away would help...
I would tend to agree with regard to identifying the shooter, no name, no fame, let him burn anonymously.

And they could make mistakes... Like posting the shooters facebook picture, only to find out its a different person, with the same name

I would tend to agree with regard to identifying the shooter, no name, no fame, let him burn anonymously.
While good in theory, I don't see how it would be possible to keep the name anonymous with the type of rabidness obsession our media portrays for such information.

I here you, and perhaps i'm not expressing my main point properly which is guns are not the problem and greater control is not the answer. It seems to me that our society is developing some serious issues that will persist even if all the guns were gone. That being the case squabling about automatic weapons is as useless as trying to limit the top speed of cars our something. The people doing these things and the reason they have become the way they are is the real issue and that is far more complicated and wide spread an issue than gun control.

Our society has some serious problems. We've got a history of violence going back two centuries. And we suffer from some real social ills that will exist regardless of our treatment of guns. Available and acceptance of guns, though, only worsens the problem.

(Funny you bring up the top speed of cars. It's always seemed ridiculous that cars sold on the general market don't come with mandatory speed restrictors of some kind. Police officers should have cars that go 150 miles per hour. I shouldn't. Same deal with many kinds of weapons. Nothing good can come from driving 150 miles per hour; nothing good can come from my owning an assault weapon.)

Does anyone else think these reporters do not need to be trying to interview elementary kids right now?

That's awful. I think I'll be ignoring the news for a few days.

It is awful. I can't even imagine it. What must have been going on in this sicko's head??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom