My hope is the coaching staff is trying to bogart a PSU recruit or two... | Syracusefan.com

My hope is the coaching staff is trying to bogart a PSU recruit or two...

44PRIDE

All Conference
With the recent news that the NCAA won't rule out the death penalty for PSU, I'm hoping the coaching staff is using this ammunition to try and flip some PSU recruits.

We've got some good mojo going so maybe we can get some of them to consider SU.

a death penalty would really open up the northeast recruitingwise...

Couple good O-line prospects would be nice.

Im hoping just the threat of the death penalty, along with the loss of JoePa and revised coaching staff will cause some borderline recruits to reconsider.

Hell, having PSU in the news every single day for P e d o p h I l I ahas to make some of these kids reconsider.

With the recent news that the NCAA won't rule out the death penalty for PSU, I'm hoping the coaching staff is using this ammunition to try and flip some PSU recruits.

We've got some good mojo going so maybe we can get some of them to consider SU.

In my role as the newly self-appointed arbitrar of Intercollegiate Ethics, this idea --- while very clever --- is judged unseemly. It smacks of vultures picking over the carcass of a dead deer on the side of the road. If the recruits call us, that's fine. But chasing them at this point is inconsistent with who we want to be ... The Good Guys.

In my role as the newly self-appointed arbitrar of Intercollegiate Ethics, this idea --- while very clever --- is judged unseemly. It smacks of vultures picking over the carcass of a dead deer on the side of the road. If the recruits call us, that's fine. But chasing them at this point is inconsistent with who we want to be ... The Good Guys.

On this point I agree. When SMU was given the death penalty you cold not get a flight into Dallas/Ft Wortth for all the coaches trying to get there.

Im hoping just the threat of the death penalty, along with the loss of JoePa and revised coaching staff will cause some borderline recruits to reconsider.

Hell, having PSU in the news every single day for P e d o p h I l I ahas to make some of these kids reconsider.

Two words ... Bernie Fine.

Yeah, yeah, I know the circumstances are different. But to a kid fleeing a school charged with harboring a pedophile, wouldn't you want go someplace that was pure as the driven snow?

Seriously, we were just talking about how sad it is that Rutgers fans have been talking about recruiting advantages of Penn State getting the death penalty.

Damnit.

Seriously, we were just talking about how sad it is that Rutgers fans have been talking about recruiting advantages of Penn State getting the death penalty.

Damnit.

I don't see why it's sad. I can guarantee any program in a 500 mile radius of Penn State is thinking the same thing. If the hammer does drop, those kids have to go somewhere. And seeing how the staff operates, i.e. Paulus, the Hofstra transfers, Raymon, Funderburk?, working the JUCO Free Agent wire, I'm sure the staff will be prepared and proactive.

That being said, SU was only involved with a handful of PSU's recruits anyway. One was a 3* DE who played at the same school as the recent Iowa transfer John Raymon, so that's interesting...not sure how heavily we were involved though.

I don't see Marrone using this approach to his style of recruiting.

Damnit.

I agree, SU2NASA. Slobbering over PSU commits at this stage is "bad form". The body isn't cold yet and some are suggesting we remove the shoes. Afterall, they reason, if we don't take them, someone else will. I'd like to think we have more class than that. I want to win too, but not at all costs.

There is a difference, however, between suggesting that we ought to contact PSU commits at this date and thread after thread thread salivating over the demise of PSU and the possible positive impact that might have on the RU program. At this moment there are 21 threads about PSU on Page 1 of the Rutgers fan site.

Of course, they cloak all of this in feigned outrage over the scandal. But given the sheer volume of posts from this particular fan group its pretty obvious they were gleefully rubbing their hands together in anticipation of a windfall of recruits and exposure.

For a number of reasons --- like the large number of PSU fans in NJ and the long history of PSU recruiting success in NJ --- the Rutgers people have felt that PSU was one of the principle reasons for their lack of success and small fan base. I don't think I ever heard any SU fan suggest that if PSU were worse, we would be better. But the Rutgers people appear to believe that PSU is standing between them and the sun.

Of course, given the likely prognosis for RU football given their dire conference situation, they are grasping at any straws that might even suggest a way out.

I don't see Marrone using this approach to his style of recruiting.
I agree - plenty of other coaches will be supplying this "information", which the kids must already be aware of anyway.

Now, checking in with the PSU recruits that we already have a relationship with is a different animal. I'd expect we do that anyway to some degree. Would definitely be worth a call to them, or more appropriately, to their coaches to see if they are wavering and to note our continuing interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom