My personal take on the Clemson game | Syracusefan.com

My personal take on the Clemson game

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
I will admit, I am not the biggest SU football fan.

Growing up in New Jersey, I really didn't know all that much about SU football other than the stories my dad would tell me about Jim Brown and Ernie Davis. Apparently, college football games were not broadcast all too often when he was growing up on the Jersey Shore, but when they were, it would always feature Syracuse. He would also tell me about Archibald Stadium and how the term "Running Downhill" came from that stadium as it drooped down on one side for drainage.

And that was about it. Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, and the tilted field.

So, when I got to Syracuse as a student it was a goal of mine to really get into SU Football. Unfortunately, my time on the hill coincided perfectly with the GROB years and it soured my taste for anything SU football a good bit. I still tried to go to and watch all the games that I could, but boy was it a painful.

After graduating, I still tried to follow the team. Watched every game. Lurked on the message board here. Watched coach Marrone lead the team back to respectability. Yet seeing Syracuse play in the Big East never really got my juices flowing.

Which brings me to this Clemson game...

For the first time ever, I am genuinely excited for a Syracuse Football game. It is only Tuesday, and I am about as excited as I was the week before the men's BB team played in the final four.

I am excited to see SU finally play a big boy football school in a conference that actually cares about football.

I am excited to see the dome (hopefully) filled to capacity live, for the first time in my life.

I am excited to see what a QB from NYC can do against a bunch of southern boys.

I know that it is probably a long shot for SU to win this game, but the fact that Syracuse will take the field as a member of the ACC against the #3 team in the country has finally lit that fire that the GROB years so hastily blew out.

Growing up in New Jersey, I really didn't know all that much about SU football other than the stories my dad would tell me about Jim Brown and Ernie Davis. Apparently, college football games were not broadcast all too often when he was growing up on the Jersey Shore, but when they were, it would always feature Syracuse. He would also tell me about Archibald Stadium and how the term "Running Downhill" came from that stadium as it drooped down on one side for drainage.

So, when I got to Syracuse as a student it was a goal of mine to really get into SU Football. Unfortunately, my time on the hill coincided perfectly with the GROB years and it soured my taste for anything SU football a good bit. I still tried to go to and watch all the games that I could, but boy was it a painful.

After graduating, I still tried to follow the team. Watched every game. Lurked on the message board here. Watched coach Marrone lead the team back to respectability. Yet seeing Syracuse play in the Big East never really got my juices flowing.

For the first time ever, I am genuinely excited for a Syracuse Football game. It is only Tuesday, and I am about as excited as I was the week before the men's BB team played in the final four.

I am excited to see SU finally play a big boy football school in a conference that actually cares about football.

I am excited to see the dome (hopefully) filled to capacity live, for the first time in my life.

I know that it is probably a long shot for SU to win this game, but the fact that Syracuse will take the field as a member of the ACC against the #3 team in the country has finally lit that fire that the GROB years so hastily blew out.

I was blessed with the fact that the 4 years I was a student DNabb was running the show ... the BE had recognition in the form of Miami, Va Tech and WVU along with the Cuse. I was in the Dome when they put 70 on RU ... 66 on Miami ... when Harrison reeled in the longest TD pass in school history against WVU ... simply awesome. Keep the faith brother it is going to be like that again.

I kinda feel the same way. I was at SU during the GRob era as well and was too young to truly appreciate the McNabb years. I had a similar excitement for the Pinstripe Bowl last year but this is hands down the most excited I've been for a regular season game. I'm very jealous of the folks here that will be at the game.

I grew up in upstate NY as a Syracuse fan. Then I went to Syracuse as an undergrad and grad student. My frosh year was McNabb's senior year. I've lived in NYC since graduating with my masters.

I'm 33 and turning 34 this month.

There are people on here that can expound on this, but when the Dome is full and loud and playing a legitimate national contender and we come onto the field, you can FEEL how powerful it can be in the Dome.

Just wait until we are back to being a top 25 team. Wait until you expect us to beat everyone that comes to the Dome and win no less than 8 games a year. This is a game that can be the turning point. Hunt may be that guy.

I was at McNabb's last game. If I remember correctly, the last three people introduced were KJ, Konrad and then McNabb. And when they announced McNabb, you could have convinced me that we would have beaten an NFL team that day.

That is why football is so awesome. You just wait, the crowd will be fired up and if we are winning or playing them close after the first quarter, you will see the Clemson players feeling the stress. It's like the football version of Cameron Indoor. There is nowhere to hide.

This is the game where legends are made. This is the game where the country learns who Terrel Hunt is. This is the game that everyone that has dealt with the ups and downs gets a payback. Has dealt with other teams pretending they have the history we have. Has dealt with that opposing fan taunting us... and you know it is just a matter of time until we come back.

This is the game that gives us that opportunity. We win. We rejoice. We go scorched earth on the ACC.

Last edited:
I grew up in upstate NY as a Syracuse fan. Then I went to Syracuse as an undergrad and grad student. My frosh year was McNabb's senior year. I've lived in NYC since graduating with my masters.

I'm 33 and turning 34 this month.

There are people on here that can expound on this, but when the Dome is full and loud and playing a legitimate national contender and we come onto the field, you can FEEL how powerful it can be in the Dome.

Just wait until we are back to being a top 25 team. Wait until you expect us to beat everyone that comes to the Dome and win no less than 8 games a year. This is a game that can be the turning point. Hunt may be that guy.

I was at McNabb's last game. If I remember correctly, the last three people introduced were KJ, Konrad and then McNabb. And when they announced McNabb, you could have convinced me that we would have beaten an NFL team that day.

That is why football is so awesome. You just wait, the crowd will be fired up and if we are winning or playing them close after the first quarter, you will see the Clemson players feeling the stress. It's like the football version of Cameron Indoor. There is nowhere to hide.

This is the game where legends are made. This is the game where the country learns who Terrel Hunt is. This is the game that everyone that has dealt with the ups and downs gets a payback. Has dealt with other teams pretending they have the history we have. Has dealt with that opposing fan taunting us... and you know it is just a matter of time until we come back.

This is the game that gives us that opportunity. We win. We rejoice. We go scorched earth on the ACC.
lock the friggin Dome doors behind them and have at it! Great post.

I kinda feel the same way. I was at SU during the GRob era as well and was too young to truly appreciate the McNabb years. I had a similar excitement for the Pinstripe Bowl last year but this is hands down the most excited I've been for a regular season game. I'm very jealous of the folks here that will be at the game.
OHMYGOD, I love that kitty!!! Me-YOW!

No matter what way this whole thing turns out, two things will be certain...

1 - The first two minutes of the game will remind everyone who supports SU football why we love it the way we do. The first two minutes will be the loudest the LOUD HOUSE has been in nearly a decade. 30K strong have been trying to retain the LOUD HOUSE name through the last decade. Bravo to all of us who did, but a 45K crowds whisper will be the loudest that place has been in years.

2 - Most of those who have seen the Dome the way it will be Saturday... we all will feel like our unconscionable support over the last decade has vindication.

If this game is close going into the 4th quarter... win or lose... I'll happily spend the following 4 days nursing my vocal chords back to health.

Oh and I forgot...

If SU shocks the ACC with a win... you can expect 45K drunken fools to be trying to squeeze into Varsity after the game.

I remember how loud and exciting the games were in the 90's...the Virginia Tech game in '98 was one of the most exciting moments in my life. When I was driving up from NEPA to watch Syracuse struggle to beat a Northeastern team (the week the school announced they were dropping the football program), I kept telling myself that someday Syracuse would be good again, and the Dome would be rockin' like it was when I first started going to games. And that sticking with the program while they rebuilt would make it that much sweeter for me than for the band wagoners and sunshine soldiers that only appear when the team is winning. There have been a few moments in the years since that were a glimpse into a promising future, but the days of going into a game like this expecting to win are still to come. Right now we're just hoping for Nebraska '84.

The great thing about sitting here on a Tuesday night is I'm daydreaming about it, and it doesn't seem completely insane. And it feels great to finally feel that way again about Syracuse football, and to believe that regardless of the outcome Saturday there are great days ahead for the Orangemen.

Last edited:
I remember how loud and exciting the games were in the 90's...the Virginia Tech game in '98 was one of the most exciting moments in my life. When I was driving up from NEPA to watch Syracuse struggle to beat a Northeastern team (the week the school announced they were dropping the football program), I kept telling myself that someday Syracuse would be good again, and the Dome would be rockin' like it was when I first started going to games. And that sticking with the program while they rebuilt would make it that much sweeter for me than for the band wagoners and sunshine soldiers that only appear when the team is winning. There have been a few moments in the years since that were a glimpse into a promising future, but the days of going into a game like this expecting to win are still to come. Right now we're just hoping for Nebraska '84.

The great thing about sitting here on a Tuesday night is I'm daydreaming about it, and it doesn't seem completely insane. And it feels great to finally feel that way again about Syracuse football, and to believe that regardless of the outcome Saturday there are great days ahead for the Orangemen.

When McNabb hit Brominski the entire student section ... myself included, flooded the field ... that was amazing. So many great memories at the Dome ... I hope they bring us to that pinnacle again ... the younger crowd is in for a treat when Shafer gets us back to national prominence.

The only logical next step is to grace the football board with your photoshop skills.

Terrel Hunt's face on the Heisman trophy for starters?

Here's my quick take on this:

heisman.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom