My Question for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

My Question for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show

His point about winning the second half was the team didn’t quit.
I don’t know who said the team has quit.
That isn’t a criticism I would give this team.

He was saying if the team quit they wouldn’t have won the second half against Clemson after being down 20.

JB needs to stop caring what the fans think. He is his own worst enemy when he just creates strawmen arguments.

Like I made a point to tell him nobody wants Kadary playing 40
Minutes. I said just 30 is fine.
Yeah, I know the point he was trying to make. And as has been said here, no one here really thinks the team isn't trying.

But against Clemson, we never got closer than the final score at the end of the game IIRC and never threatened to get back in the game. We certainly never cut the lead to 10 points. And this line of thinking discounts what sort of effort Clemson put in in the second half, when at times they were just trying to run out the clock. It's a false equivalency and proves nothing.

I agree with all of your other points.

Sorry if this is posted somewhere, I wasn’t able to find it. Is there someplace I can listen to a replay?

He was saying if the team quit they wouldn’t have won the second half against Clemson after being down 20.

JB needs to stop caring what the fans think. He is his own worst enemy when he just creates strawmen arguments.

Most of the great coaches I've watched intently over the years (Belichick, Terry Francona, Doc Rivers, KC Jones, Claude Julien, Joe Torre, etc) worked extremely hard to block out all distractions for their team, so they can focus on what truly matters.

JB seems to be doing the opposite of that at this point. He's ginning up a lot of extraneous noise.

Noise that I'm sure his players are hearing.

I'm no HOF coach, but I have watched a lot of HOF coaches in my life, and I don't really understand what JB's trying to accomplish these days.

I agree I don't think the word "quit" is accurate. Seems more like they come out unfocused, lacking energy, and often appear to be playing with no urgency, and they aren't good enough to win that way. Energy and Execution are not optional if this team wants to win.

Most of the great coaches I've watched intently over the years (Belichick, Terry Francona, Doc Rivers, KC Jones, Claude Julien, Joe Torre, etc) worked extremely hard to block out all distractions for their team, so they can focus on what truly matters.

JB seems to be doing the opposite of that at this point. He's ginning up a lot of extraneous noise.

Noise that I'm sure his players are hearing.

I'm no HOF coach, but I have watched a lot of HOF coaches in my life, and I don't really understand what JB's trying to accomplish these days.
I thought it was wild he knew the average number of people taking polls after wins and after loses. That's clear evidence of distraction. And to that point, that's the way life is. You don't hear from your boss as frequently when everything is going well.

I agree I don't think the word "quit" is accurate. Seems more like they come out unfocused, lacking energy, and often appear to be playing with no urgency, and they aren't good enough to win that way. Energy and Execution are not optional if this team wants to win.
The thing that irks me most is hearing announcers suggest that SU is being out-hustled. And it has happened too many times! I think some players on this year's team don't play with as much energy when their shots aren't falling, or they just got yelled at, or whatever might affect their emotions and focus.

One question I was going to ask Dino Babers next fall about those runs up the middle and those sideline pass: does an unsuccessful play set up a successful play, or do you have to have a successful play to set up the successful play? Do we need to be getting 4-5 yards a crack on the runs up the middle to set up the passes? Do the passes have to be getting first downs to set up the runs? Do Buddy and Joe have to be hitting three pointers to open up the middle? Will a defense shift to cover something if they are already stopping it?

I'd be very interested to hear that response and I'd also be interested to hear what Tony White would say. Teams always know the opposing team's strengths and weaknesses and make a gameplan around that. But at what point during a game do you shake up the gameplan if the other team isn't executing it's own strategy well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom