My Questions for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

My Questions for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show

2) The fact that our entire defensive repertoire is zone, frantic press, and nothing else is also sad.
See, I just don't see it this way. I've seen SU/JAB employ the zone, the zone with various adjustments (that come every game outside of the IU Sweet 16 game), zone with a half-court trap (win over Wake Forest years back at MSG) and the two presses we have (1-Go for broke; 2-Speed up the game). And, let's at least acknowledge, for about 20 years, SU was primarily a man-to-man team and won a crap-load of games. JAB has used a ton of different looks through the years. Yes, less so the last decade.

What is Tom Izzo's defensive repertoire at MSU? What was Knight's at IU or Texas Tech?

See, I just don't see it this way. I've seen SU/JAB employ the zone, the zone with various adjustments (that come every game outside of the IU Sweet 16 game), zone with a half-court trap (win over Wake Forest years back at MSG) and the two presses we have (1-Go for broke; 2-Speed up the game). And, let's at least acknowledge, for about 20 years, SU was primarily a man-to-man team and won a crap-load of games. JAB has used a ton of different looks through the years. Yes, less so the last decade.

What is Tom Izzo's defensive repertoire at MSU? What was Knight's at IU or Texas Tech?

I totally understand that JB makes changes to the zone throughout the game. I also know that SU is widely considered one of the easiest teams to prepare for in the game. Thankfully, our talent level and defensive execution have enabled us to win a ton of games over the years. Unfortunately these days, we're pretty mediocre in both of those areas. And I maintain that we should be able to play the occasional man D if the circumstances warrant it.

I totally understand that JB makes changes to the zone throughout the game. I also know that SU is widely considered one of the easiest teams to prepare for in the game. Thankfully, our talent level and defensive execution have enabled us to win a ton of games over the years. Unfortunately these days, we're pretty mediocre in both of those areas. And I maintain that we should be able to play the occasional man D if the circumstances warrant it.

Honestly, just an unreal conversation. The premise that a P5 level team, let alone the 6th winningest NCAA program in college basketball history, is unable/incapable of playing even a wink of competent man to man D is truly inconceivable. As is any fan (other than a token novice type) that buys in to JB's complete garb & utter nonsense as well, IMO.

Might give a slight edge because Sidibe rebounding out of the 5 late last season, but if JB decides to make a late push and move Dole to the 4 with Kadary at the point and Q/Griff nearing in on Eli, we could find a pleasant surprise.

Don't tell him that...

Yeah, count me in the camp of folks who don't believe JB when he says we practice MtM. We may have our second string playing man to give our starters specific looks the upcoming opponent uses, but no way he's having our starters practice man when he needs them to crack the zone code each week.

I was amazed he said that 20 years ago we had the personnel to play man-for-man but now we don't. Why is that, Jim?

I think the issue is that modern three point shooting stretches the zone so far out that we can't prevent penetration into the paint or cover the corners. Instead we have to react to the ball being in those places by having the center and the forwards abandon their positions to cover the high post, the basket or the corners. Any time you have to abandon your position, you are opening things up for the opposition.

I think the issue is that modern three point shooting stretches the zone so far out that we can't prevent penetration into the paint or cover the corners. Instead we have to react to the ball being in those places by having the center and the forwards abandon their positions to cover the high post, the basket or the corners. Any time you have to abandon your position, you are opening things up for the opposition.
Agree. Although, it's not like we haven't had a killer defensive zone team as recently as a couple seasons ago. I'm not a man vs. zone zealot, I tend to think it's much more about about execution than scheme. That being said, JB should just be honest and say that he plays 99% zone because that's what he likes to do. The notion that our rotational players can't even play man against our walkons is straight garbage.

I was amazed he said that 20 years ago we had the personnel to play man-for-man but now we don't. Why is that, Jim?
We have personnel to play it now.
It may not be a lockdown defense but we could play man to man.
Kadary would be a stud.
Alan Griffin played man to man last year.
Quincy and Marek with the youth national teams have.
I am sure buddy could do it as well.

I am not saying abandon the zone completely but Duke was prepared for our zone. If we could throw something as a counter when the zone is getting shredded it’s worth a try.

Instead we got what JB said.

Agree. Although, it's not like we haven't had a killer defensive zone team as recently as a couple seasons ago. I'm not a man vs. zone zealot, I tend to think it's much more about about execution than scheme. That being said, JB should just be honest and say that he plays 99% zone because that's what he likes to do. The notion that our rotational players can't even play man against our walkons is straight garbage.

The SU zone actually goes back to the Roy's Runt's era. We may have played more man when we had multiple NBA players in the line-up but it's been more zone than man through the 51 year streak.

I didn't call. I still kneel at the JB pulpit. Wont lose my loyalty to him.
You’re much more comfortable talking bad about him behind his back, eh?
We have personnel to play it now.
It may not be a lockdown defense but we could play man to man.
Kadary would be a stud.
Alan Griffin played man to man last year.
Quincy and Marek with the youth national teams have.
I am sure buddy could do it as well.

I am not saying abandon the zone completely but Duke was prepared for our zone. If we could throw something as a counter when the zone is getting shredded it’s worth a try.

Instead we got what JB said.

yup. It’s pure BS. Maybe Igor was onto something with his offer to give a clinic.

Only guy I’d be worried about is Joe, but he can’t really play defense in the zone either.

You’re much more comfortable talking bad about him behind his back, eh?

Excuse me Sir. Only thing I talked about him was so called nepotism when it came to Buddy when he plays bad.

But you won’t tell him that you think he’s favoring his son? Weak.

Just can the questions. You got to have this locked up. For all the frustration I have with JB, if you're going to have him on a show like this, it's got to be well run / tight flow.

You can't have JB working through the technical difficulties or getting questions from a drunk guy.

Yes, and that might produce some interesting anecdotes, but...

That'd deprive me of the opportunity to laugh out loud in the office the next day while reading Jeremy's Sportsguy-style running diary of that outrageous comedy of errors last night.

But you won’t tell him that you think he’s favoring his son? Weak.

A lot of people on here won't. Probably afraid of losing their seat at JB table at Joeys.

What??

Pat how many years has JB been loyal to the University the program the community the fan base ? Well over 50 years between player, assistant coach, and head coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom