My Questions for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

My Questions for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show

JB still explaining man vs zone debate and still talking to Alsacs like he is on the line.

"Epitome of bad strategy" in reference to playing man when it doesn't work.
If the Orange went man to man they'd probably get a couple of quick turnovers.
It would take the other team a little time to recover from being in a state of shock.

Two different things !I’m talking about empathy for the loyal Fanbase and understanding and relating to where they’re coming from that’s the definition of empathy in the situation
This has probably already been discussed so please excuse me if it has, but is 20plus the same person as that sudreaming guy? There are a lot of similarities.

my past experience has always been screener asks you your question. puts you in queue . you listen on air for a while and then if lucky they cut live to your question. i believe when jb is answering you are muted and may or may not be heard from again. sometimes i've gotten some kind of response most times no.

You don't immediately get muted. it's only when the exchange, (mostly JB's answer) has gone on to the point where they feel they should move on to the next caller, subject or commercial.)

Notre Dame doesn't allow callers into either bball or football show, it has a visual component unlike SU's and in non covid times they are at the private football or bball complex, wonder if Su eventually transitions to this

I tend to agree in that he ought to be truthful and just say that's how he coaches and believes we will be most successful. This crap about how we can't play man to man has gotten old. It's very similar to the point he often makes about a player not getting into the rotation because of how he practiced. It's an awfully convenient way to discount the fan because we're not at practice and he knows that, which is why he uses that line.

I actually think he gave a good answer: you don't depart from you basic defense when you aren't playing it well. You adjust it or simply play it better. You don't switch to something you aren't good at. Man-to-man coaches don't switch to a zone when their teams are playing poorly. The zone can be many things depending on how you play it. If you aren't playing a zone well, it's usually because you are playing it too passively. You aren't going to do well suddenly chasing people around. I really think the issue is using the press proactively and then falling back into a zone as opposed to just playing zone.

The idea our players are so bad at man to man defense they can’t stop walkons stretches my realm of possibility.
We need a new recruiting pitch because what the staff is selling isn’t working:

If you’re slow...
If your vertical is less than your pecker...
If you think a ‘hedge’ is something you trim...

Then Syracuse is the place for you!

Notre Dame doesn't allow callers into either bball or football show, it has a visual component unlike SU's and in non covid times they are at the private football or bball complex, wonder if Su eventually transitions to this

I'd love a return to "Coaches' Corner" from the Coach mac days. A Tv show reviewing extensive films of the last game with the coach plus features on the team. As I recall coach P's version had a Q&A segment with written questions submitted by the fans.

Coaches Corner Rutgers vs Syracuse Football 1984 - YouTube

I'd love a return to "Coaches' Corner" from the Coach mac days. A Tv show reviewing extensive films of the last game with the coach plus features on the team. As I recall coach P's version had a Q&A segment with written questions submitted by the fans.

Coaches Corner Rutgers vs Syracuse Football 1984 - YouTube
That might be the way to go. A weekly call in show should not be generating this much negatively.

I actually think he gave a good answer: you don't depart from you basic defense when you aren't playing it well. You adjust it or simply play it better. You don't switch to something you aren't good at. Man-to-man coaches don't switch to a zone when their teams are playing poorly. The zone can be many things depending on how you play it. If you aren't playing a zone well, it's usually because you are playing it too passively. You aren't going to do well suddenly chasing people around. I really think the issue is using the press proactively and then falling back into a zone as opposed to just playing zone.
I love JB but at this point, he's too invested in playing his best guys at the cost of losing true positions. The 3,4, on offense the 4 on defense, half of the 5, and half of the 1 on D are all screwed up atm and it kills explosiveness and makes it less fun to watch as well. Guerrier would be first/second team acc as a true SF. Last year it was the strong half of the 4, half the 5, and all of the one with no posting up scorer. He's right playing too passively does, but I don't buy it as a recurring theme over 15 games. It's something you fix after one loss, 3-4 times a year.

Dole belongs at the four for 20-25 minutes next to ajax and Edwards. Griffin and Girard should not be on the floor together for more than 7-10 minutes, and Griffin and Guerrier shouldn't be together for more than 10 in games where we are going to fight from behind. We got 3 guard coaches on the bench with no big coach. It's about winning, not babysitting. And there is nothing wrong with pressing when we are ahead to spell those moments where our 6'10 PF isn't at the 4. Maybe we go on a 10-0 run doing so, and we are deep this year. I give him a slight pass because Edwards and Ajax are still coming on, but our backline has got to find a way to get some passing hesitation to slow down the high low when they are in.

Last edited:
Honestly it’s not negativity.
I don’t think anyone is really upset with the show. We disagree with his takes but appreciate the guy.

The show provides entertainment.
I could not put my finger on it, but there is no doubt the tone of this whole thread is certainly "appreciation."

Now where is that elusive sarcasm font?

I could not put my finger on it, but there is no doubt the tone of this whole thread is certainly "appreciation."

Now where is that elusive sarcasm font?
You think the people complaining about Boeheim don’t appreciate what he has done? While actually analyzing what he is saying in the present.

There is an ability to appreciate the past while questioning the present and future.

The problem with all call in shows is that the callers start thinking they are the reason people tune in. See Bobo on Howard Stern as exhibit A. If JB actually spends any time whatsoever thinking about any of these calls the program is in worse shape than we can imagine. That said - and based only off what I can gather from this forum as I don't listen to the show - it sounds like these calls do bother him and that is insane.

The problem with all call in shows is that the callers start thinking they are the reason people tune in. See Bobo on Howard Stern as exhibit A. If JB actually spends any time whatsoever thinking about any of these calls the program is in worse shape than we can imagine. That said - and based only off what I can gather from this forum as I don't listen to the show - it sounds like these calls do bother him and that is insane.
Considering he called one of the callers out in a post game press conference iirc then I’d say they bother him alot

If our walk-ons are beating up on ACC starters that are playing man-to-man defense maybe out walk-ons should be getting minutes.
Maybe the walkons are playing...

Liam from Pompey calls in but again there is a connection issue, great work by the staff.

Liam makes the mistake of thanking everyone and asking how there doing a million times before finally getting into his comment.

Says that SU and Gatech are pretty even in the standings and wants to know his take on the game Sat as he doesn't know a bunch about Ga tech.

JB says G-tech is one of the best teams in the league. Really really good. Has a good group of veteran guys. Goes on to complement Tech more and Matt jumps in says its been 13 yeas since Tech won back to back road games in the ACC.
We beat Tech twice last year, including a blowout on the road at McCamish, and they basically have the same starting 5 as last year.

We beat Tech twice last year, including a blowout on the road at McCamish, and they basically have the same starting 5 as last year.
We beat Pitt twice last year too.

Tech is second in the acc in assists and 20th in the nation in offensive efficiency, the latter is not good for our defense, especially in the first 8 minutes of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom