My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Interesting game tonight. Another bad crowd, with an especially pathetic showing by the students. We have already been eliminated for the attendance crown for this season and might even finish lower than 2nd. Not good.

What was good was the NA performance, sung by a talented woman from Indian River. Impressive, one of the 10 best NAs I have heard at the Dome.

On to the game. TS played a 2-3 zone all game long, supplemented by some pressure defense. SU did a good job handling the pressure, mostly by having TB take the ball up.

The defense continues to look good. With the possible exception of MM, there are no weak links with this group. Everyone is long, quick and agile. Add Matt helps compensate for any weaknesses he has by being the most physical player on the team (and maybe the best rebounder). PC didn't block a lot of shots or get a ton of rebounds like last game, but he made it hard for TS to score in the paint. His defensive positioning is vastly better than last season and he is showing he can finish when he gets the ball in scoring position on the low post. Combine his improvements with the advanced play of true fresh center BS and it appears A;Len Griffin is doing a hell of a job coaching up our big guys.

They got a couple of alley oops to their 7'2 center setting up behind our center where I think OB fell asleep a little, and they got some open 3s, but some of that was excellent passing. They had a few guys who passed it well.

TB got 2 fouls with about 10 minutes left in the first half and sat the rest of the half out, giving GT a chance to play quality minutes. Geno took advantage and ended up our leading scorer at halftime with 11 points. Good for him he is looking more comfortable and looked to score more. His defense looks good too. Hope he turned a corner today.

FH played some great games early last season before falling apart, but his play was really inconsistent. He seemed to play well against bad teams and poorly against good ones. So far this year, I am seeing 3 changes: 1) his defense is noticably better 2) he is shooting the ball a lot better, especially from the outside and 3) he is far more consistent to date. Based on his past, I have no idea what we are getting from him the rest of the season. He could average 14 ppg and 6 apg or 5 ppg and 2 apg. Everybody is going to say as FH goes, Syracuse goes. And you know what? I think they will be right. Props to Frank for getting off to a very good start.

Our half court offense has been less than stellar to date. We didn't get points from the press tonight (heck, we didn't press at all). But it didn't hurt us because our half court offense was better. Why? We did some interesting stuff, trying to attack their zone from just in front of the foul line (as we have seen others try against the SU 2-3 for many years).

OB wasn't good at it but when MD tried, good things happened consistently. I think he might be our best passer. He anticipates well and just has an advanced feel for the game. He also moves without the ball really well and presents himself to get the ball in good places a lot. I don't want to overly praise Marek. He missed a number of easy shots under the basket, isn't a threat to score outside 15 feet from the basket and is going to have lots of TOs early in his career due to his lack of strength and girth. But man, he does a lot of things well. One is positioning himself on defense, where he has a knack for consistently being in the right place. With his ability to pass it, hit the offensive boards and his aggressive nature when in scoring position, he is someone defenses have to account for. Can he continue to play at this level against forwards that are his height and weigh 220 or 230? I am not sure.

OB is struggling some on offense, not shooting well. But he still is contributing on the boards and his defense is quite good. It looks like he is going to draw a lot of fouls.

BS continues to impress. He shot it well again, got a nice block and made a great pass from the high post to MD. He is another that will get fouled a lot, has to shoot better from the FT line. Love his feel for the game. Looks like he is going to split time with PC almost down the middle. I think they are going to make a good pair.

MM looks kind of lost on offense. He seems rushed, really tense and really short of confidence on the court. Seems like he gets his shot blocked 50% of the time, struggles to make routine passes and while he knows he has to be more aggressive on offense, is not kind sure how to do it. He is a smart kid and I think he will figure it out, but he is in a race against time. As the opponents get tougher, opportunities to prove himself will decrease. Hope he steps up with a double figure scoring game soon.

HW barely played. When he was in, he passed the ball to someone else right away and didn't seem comfortable. Hard to say what he is capable of so far.

Miscellaneous Stuff:

The traditional running of the flags has traditionally been done at the four minute mark, but has apparently been moved to the 8 minute mark (or thereabouts). Also, it has traditionally been with 5 flags: a giant S and smaller C, U, S and E flags. They are using 9 now and spelling out Syracuse. That necessitated having 4 female cheerleaders carry flags. Maybe adding the additional flags started earlier than theirs year but this is the first year I have notified the change. It looks good.

Spirits available, along with lots of beer choices, a bunch of wine choices and wine slushes too? Nice. But what about ginger ale? If anyone is listening, Schweppes is preferred.

Good game. This team just might be pretty good before all is said and done.

I think we're starting to see the changing of the guard at forward, with both Brissett and Dolezaj ascending over Moyer in terms of skill / having the coach's confidence.

Moyer brings physicality and very good rebounding. The problem is that Brissett and Dolezaj have also proven to be good rebounders and they bring a lot of other things to the table as well. Give those two another 6-7 games and they will only increase the gap. Still we need Moyer to find his way offensively and be comfortable in his role on that end. It's not bad for your 3rd forward to be a junkyard dog type of guy. He just needs to learn how to present a consistent threat offensively in some way.

Last edited:
Moyer brings physicality and very good rebounding. The problem is that Brissett and Dolezaj have also proven to be good rebounders and they bring a lot
of other things to the table as well. Give those two another 6-7 games and they will only increase the gap. Still we needs Moyer to find his way offensively and be comfortable in his role on that end. It's not bad for your 3rd forward to be a junkyard dog type of guy. He just needs to learn how to present a consistent threat offensively in some way.

I love Moyer. I think he's going to have a terrific career in Orange. But I think he'll get phase out increasingly as the season goes on, and that this trend could also continue next year when Bazley shows up -- but that he'll be a star as a fourth year junior stepping into a starting role who thrives his final two years here.

I just don't see it manifesting this year. Hope I'm wrong.

Interesting game tonight. Another bad crowd, with an especially pathetic showing by the students. We have already been eliminated for the attendance crown for this season and might even finish lower than 2nd. Not good.

What was good was the NA performance, sung by a talented woman from Indian River. Impressive, one of the 10 best NAs I have heard at the Dome.

On to the game. TS played a 2-3 zone all game long, supplemented by some pressure defense. SU did a good job handling the pressure, mostly by having TB take the ball up.

The defense continues to look good. With the possible exception of MM, there are no weak links with this group. Everyone is long, quick and agile. Add Matt helps compensate for any weaknesses he has by being the most physical player on the team (and maybe the best rebounder). PC didn't block a lot of shots or get a ton of rebounds like last game, but he made it hard for TS to score in the paint. His defensive positioning is vastly better than last season and he is showing he can finish when he gets the ball in scoring position on the low post. Combine his improvements with the advanced play of true fresh center BS and it appears A;Len Griffin is doing a hell of a job coaching up our big guys.

They got a couple of alley oops to their 7'2 center setting up behind our center where I think OB fell asleep a little, and they got some open 3s, but some of that was excellent passing. They had a few guys who passed it well.

TB got 2 fouls with about 10 minutes left in the first half and sat the rest of the half out, giving GT a chance to play quality minutes. Geno took advantage and ended up our leading scorer at halftime with 11 points. Good for him he is looking more comfortable and looked to score more. His defense looks good too. Hope he turned a corner today.

FH played some great games early last season before falling apart, but his play was really inconsistent. He seemed to play well against bad teams and poorly against good ones. So far this year, I am seeing 3 changes: 1) his defense is noticably better 2) he is shooting the ball a lot better, especially from the outside and 3) he is far more consistent to date. Based on his past, I have no idea what we are getting from him the rest of the season. He could average 14 ppg and 6 apg or 5 ppg and 2 apg. Everybody is going to say as FH goes, Syracuse goes. And you know what? I think they will be right. Props to Frank for getting off to a very good start.

Our half court offense has been less than stellar to date. We didn't get points from the press tonight (heck, we didn't press at all). But it didn't hurt us because our half court offense was better. Why? We did some interesting stuff, trying to attack their zone from just in front of the foul line (as we have seen others try against the SU 2-3 for many years).

OB wasn't good at it but when MD tried, good things happened consistently. I think he might be our best passer. He anticipates well and just has an advanced feel for the game. He also moves without the ball really well and presents himself to get the ball in good places a lot. I don't want to overly praise Marek. He missed a number of easy shots under the basket, isn't a threat to score outside 15 feet from the basket and is going to have lots of TOs early in his career due to his lack of strength and girth. But man, he does a lot of things well. One is positioning himself on defense, where he has a knack for consistently being in the right place. With his ability to pass it, hit the offensive boards and his aggressive nature when in scoring position, he is someone defenses have to account for. Can he continue to play at this level against forwards that are his height and weigh 220 or 230? I am not sure.

OB is struggling some on offense, not shooting well. But he still is contributing on the boards and his defense is quite good. It looks like he is going to draw a lot of fouls.

BS continues to impress. He shot it well again, got a nice block and made a great pass from the high post to MD. He is another that will get fouled a lot, has to shoot better from the FT line. Love his feel for the game. Looks like he is going to split time with PC almost down the middle. I think they are going to make a good pair.

MM looks kind of lost on offense. He seems rushed, really tense and really short of confidence on the court. Seems like he gets his shot blocked 50% of the time, struggles to make routine passes and while he knows he has to be more aggressive on offense, is not kind sure how to do it. He is a smart kid and I think he will figure it out, but he is in a race against time. As the opponents get tougher, opportunities to prove himself will decrease. Hope he steps up with a double figure scoring game soon.

HW barely played. When he was in, he passed the ball to someone else right away and didn't seem comfortable. Hard to say what he is capable of so far.

Miscellaneous Stuff:

The traditional running of the flags has traditionally been done at the four minute mark, but has apparently been moved to the 8 minute mark (or thereabouts). Also, it has traditionally been with 5 flags: a giant S and smaller C, U, S and E flags. They are using 9 now and spelling out Syracuse. That necessitated having 4 female cheerleaders carry flags. Maybe adding the additional flags started earlier than theirs year but this is the first year I have notified the change. It looks good.

Spirits available, along with lots of beer choices, a bunch of wine choices and wine slushes too? Nice. But what about ginger ale? If anyone is listening, Schweppes is preferred.

Minor FYI, the students left campus Thursday/Friday for thanksgiving break.

I love Moyer. I think he's going to have a terrific career in Orange. But I think he'll get phase out increasingly as the season goes on, and that this trend could also continue next year when Bazley shows up -- but that he'll be a star as a fourth year junior stepping into a starting role who thrives his final two years here.

Yeah, he's the 3rd forward this year but I like his potential moving further into his career.

Yeah, he's the 3rd forward this year but I like his potential moving further into his career.

Like I said, I think he's going to be a guy most of the fanbase writes off, who becomes a very productive starter as a junior / senior.

He'll be a contributor before then, too, but I think we're better off rolling with Brissett / Bazley / Dolezaj short term. Just my two cents, could be wrong.

Not sure what to think yet with this team. We are going to be better defensively whether or not that translates to wins I’m unsure. I’m always looking forward to seeing MD play. He is one always glad to see getting some time and it seems like that will continue

agree - tho it seems like so many of his 3s rattle out
I was going to make the same point. I would assume he gets dialed in at some point. No one is going to take away his green light. I also would like to see him pump and drive from the outside, although I'm not sure yet how his handle is.

Miscellaneous Stuff:

Great recap as always except for the shot at the pathetic student turnout. I believe they were gone for Thanksgiving break.

I'm with you - I hope he figures things out (and soon), but I fear that he will not contribute much this year or next (and that his confidence will drop with each successive game). Boeheim has a pretty good track record of coaching guys and helping them improve (with Rak being the best recent example), so I do expect Moyer will contribute his junior and senior years.

Starting to get excited about next year already - with Bazley, Brissett, Dolezaj and Sidibe we should be pretty good up front.

I don't recall having a full week off for Thanksgiving just a few weeks short of finals back when I was in school. Of course that might be because I was in school before the Pilgrims...

Yea, they get the full week off, then its 2 weeks of classes, then a week for finals. Then a month off for winter break. I miss college.

I'm with you - I hope he figures things out (and soon), but I fear that he will not contribute much this year or next (and that his confidence will drop with each successive game). Boeheim has a pretty good track record of coaching guys and helping them improve (with Rak being the best recent example), so I do expect Moyer will contribute his junior and senior years.

Starting to get excited about next year already - with Bazley, Brissett, Dolezaj and Sidibe we should be pretty good up front.

I think he’ll contribute some against the bigger and stronger teams where his rebounding and toughness might be needed. Otherwise he’s the 8th man even though he starts. He’s the .5 in JBs infamous 7.5 man rotation.

I am most encouraged by the play of the centers, 18 pts 13 rebounds is pretty good for SU. It seemed that both played well both on defense and offense and is the first time in a while that there have been 2 centers available. I also like MD's play. While skinny, he rbs as well as Moyer (so far) and is better on offense. If he can do it in conference play, he is going to finish games.

I don't recall having a full week off for Thanksgiving just a few weeks short of finals back when I was in school. Of course that might be because I was in school before the Pilgrims...

Me neither. I think we had classes through noon on Wednesday, then back the next Monday. We all headed to the stage coach stations to get home. :p

Against ACC teams (and Kansas, Maryland, UConn) MM is going to get much less PT. Can't have two non-scorers on the court at the same time (MM and Chukwu) and play 3 on 5 on the offensive end. That's a prescription for getting behind quickly when you don't score. MM's offensive game seems to have a long way to go.

Me neither. I think we had classes through noon on Wednesday, then back the next Monday. We all headed to the stage coach stations to get home. :p
Yep. When I was an undergrad at SU I remember leaving for home on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and having to drive back on Sunday of that weekend to be there for classes on Monday.

Yep. When I was an undergrad at SU I remember leaving for home on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and having to drive back on Sunday of that weekend to be there for classes on Monday.

Yup so many kids skipped those Wed morning classes to get an early start, I think they just cancelled them letting students leave officially Tuesday after classes.

Yeah it’s not crazy to think that we might have one of the best front courts in the country next year. Brissett and Dolezaj will be very good by season end on the wings. Sidibe has been better than expected and will continue to grow, Paschal has even been better than expected and he has another year. You throw in there a top 10 player like Bazley for next year and that’s the most talented front court that fits our system in awhile. Just get average to a little above average guard play from Howard, Carey, Boeheim and Washington and we are a real threat nationally.

Me too. Didn't know they changed to SU calendar like that. So I retract my statement about the students and instead praise the handful of kids that stayed to attend the game (most were probably locals' I recognized a few from earlier games).

Yeah it’s not crazy to think that we might have one of the best front courts in the country next year. Brissett and Dolezaj will be very good by season end on the wings. Sidibe has been better than expected and will continue to grow, Paschal has even been better than expected and he has another year. You throw in there a top 10 player like Bazley for next year and that’s the most talented front court that fits our system in awhile. Just get average to a little above average guard play from Howard, Carey, Boeheim and Washington and we are a real threat nationally.

It will be interesting to see how Hughes fits in. The front court seems too crowded with none of the forwards able to play center. I'd bet on a even guard rotation of Carey/Howard/Hughes to compliment MD/OB/DB/PC/BS in the frontcourt during ACC play. Moyer and Washington sit again but there is nothing wrong with that. Both will contribute as upperclassman. Buddy redshirts so Dad can coach another year?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom