My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Thought Tyus really played hard, especially early, and set the tone for the night right away. He got their big in foul trouble. That was a big key. As was the decision by Manning to leave him out of the game almost the whole second half when he got his 3rd foul shortly after halftime.

I wonder why Brissett never sets screens. I would think he would be ideal for executing pick and rolls. Thought it was really helpful to Frank and Tyus when Marek started screening up at the high post a lot.

The Wake comeback in the first half was fueled by a change they made, going from man to zone. We again were terrible facing a zone. They let OB take as many 3s as he wanted, didn't even bother to cover him, which was a good decision. We finally positioned Marek at the high post or in the paint and the zone offense started to click.

Great to see Marek finishing hard, trying to dunk a lot more. He gets a lot of physical play and the refs allow it, so he has to be tougher to survive and produce. His hoops IQ is high. So many good plays on defense, tipping balls, moving without the ball to the basket, etc. Some other guys on the team would do well to watch how he plays.

Thought Frank was solid and did a great job getting the ball to Marek and Paschal down the stretch for key baskets. Who would have thought they would be our go to guys at crunch time in the ACC tournament?

I hope Paschal and Marek are spending a lot of time getting treatment today for the pounding they took from the untalented but physical Wake Forest players.

Do not expect the UNC-SU game to start at 9 PM tonight. Expect 9:20, or even 9:30 PM. Don't know why the ACC and ESPN lists the game at 9 PM when the first game starts at 7 PM. Any advice on how to take a nap would be appreciate. I almost never take them.

I hope Paschal and Marek are spending a lot of time getting treatment today for the pounding they took from the untalented but physical Wake Forest players.

It is tough to play multiple days in a row with only 6 players. Wish Moyer would have gotten a bit more run yesterday, but I knew he was toast after committing that foul on the dunk, about 15 seconds after getting into the game. We'll probably need some minutes from him tonight, for just the reason you point out above.

It is tough to play multiple days in a row with only 6 players. Wish Moyer would have gotten a bit more run yesterday, but I knew he was toast after committing that foul on the dunk, about 15 seconds after getting into the game. We'll probably need some minutes from him tonight, for just the reason you point out above.

Yeah but were you going to take Marek out for Moyer? I think it's a blessing for tonight that Moyer got rest & Marek got confidence.

We'll see

I like Matt, but he is not going to play if Marek is doing great.

Thought Tyus really played hard, especially early, and set the tone for the night right away. He got their big in foul trouble. That was a big key. As was the decision by Manning to leave him out of the game almost the whole second half when he got his 3rd foul shortly after halftime.

Was a mind boggling decision as the score quickly moved up to 19. He brought him back in right around the 8 minute mark.

No, Marek played great. But Brissett...

Brissett's shot just didnt fall. If he makes 1 of those 5 open and good look 3's, no one even mentions he had a bad game. Most, if not all 5 of the 3's hit rim twice. They were all on line and good shots. I couldnt be less concerned about Oshae.

Brissett's shot just didnt fall. If he makes 1 of those 5 open and good look 3's, no one even mentions he had a bad game. Most, if not all 5 of the 3's hit rim twice. They were all on line and good shots. I couldnt be less concerned about Oshae.

Who's concerned? He just didn't have a good game.

But the broader point is, UNC has good depth. We don't -- and it will be important for us to keep pace because they play fast. Would have been nice to get some minutes out of Moyer yesterday; we didn't, but we will probably need to do so today.

No, Marek played great. But Brissett...
I thought Brissett was getting decent look from deep. He just kept missing them, which hasn't been the case of late. Hope he puts that game behind him and continues to stay aggressive. Not sure I want to see Dolezaj and Moyer on the floor too much at the same time, unless foul trouble dictates that.

Adrenaline should get the guys thru tonight.
Physically they will likely be done tomorrow if we win tonight.
That is why if we win tonight we are likely in. UNC win would give us the scalp to get in.

it's one thing to ask the guards to run 40 minutes. it's gonna be hell for the bigs tonite. also let's cut danny manning a little slack. he took away our top weapons and was beat by career nights from dolezaj and chukwu. got to concede something on D. also way to much tv time for the seat cushion allison.

Who's concerned? He just didn't have a good game.

But the broader point is, UNC has good depth. We don't -- and it will be important for us to keep pace because they play fast. Would have been nice to get some minutes out of Moyer yesterday; we didn't, but we will probably need to do so today.

Fair enough... i think its the philosphy that you have to win game 1 to even get to game 2. Moyer just brings very little at this point especially in comparison to Oshae (i do wish JB would let him play through a mistake or 2 a la I also knew he was donezo after the foul - which was actually not a horrible play by moyer)

He could have spelled OB who was poor for most of the night.

He wasn't poor. The ball just didnt go through the net for him. He didnt make any mistakes or bad TO's or heck even take bad shots.

Fair enough... i think its the philosphy that you have to win game 1 to even get to game 2. Moyer just brings very little at this point especially in comparison to Oshae (i do wish JB would let him play through a mistake or 2 a la I also knew he was donezo after the foul - which was actually not a horrible play by moyer)

Agreed. Can't play for tomorrow when you lose today. But we were up 15+ for numerous stretches of the game. Would have liked to see our frontcourt guys get a little bit of a breather, and Moyer could have supplied in anticipation of having to play 2 or more days in a row. That's all I'm saying.

UNC has a LOT of depth...

He wasn't poor. The ball just didnt go through the net for him. He didnt make any mistakes or bad TO's or heck even take bad shots.

He had 4 turnovers, two of which I recall being pretty poor. Also missed a mostly uncontested layup at the rim (again) and had several defensive lapses that would have had Moyer yanked immediately, including one where he literally stood on the block while a guy on his side launched the most uncontested 3 of the night (luckily a miss). It was a pretty terrible game from him and he seemed out of it from the get-go. He had a couple of threes that looked good, but he also missed badly on a few, including an awful airball on a wide open look.

I thought he did. Missed shots was the least of his problems. Four turnovers. Got stuffed a few times when you knew he would. Fended off on a fast break when we really needed a bucket. Traveled once or twice.

Love the guy and he rebounded extremely well but this was more than a bad shooting night.

Ummm, except right before the half when he decided to go 1-on-5, committed an offensive foul, and cost us a chance to take the last shot. Other than that...
In any case, he has to stay on the court- his defense and rebounding, plus posing a threat on offense, make him the best option.

I thought he did. Missed shots was the least of his problems. Four turnovers. Got stuffed a few times when you knew he would. Fended off on a fast break when we really needed a bucket. Traveled once or twice.

Love the guy and he rebounded extremely well but this was more than a bad shooting night.

Funny you mention that travel - which was a horrific call. It would be called on every single play. so really 3 TO's - which happens. EDIT* bro another TO was the phantom charge on the and 1 where both refs blew whistle then looked at the hoop saw it go in, looked at each other, shrugged and 1 guy called a charge. Horrible call!! so really 2 TO's EDIT* He went 2/5 from inside the arc which is better than his season average from 2.

Last edited:
The Wake guy easily traveled 2 different times if you can Oshae as a legit travel.

there was some very questionable charges called (every single 1 went the wrong way imo and also went wakes way which was not surprising at all) but the travel was the worst call of the game.

Seriously look at the wake bench... not 1 person reacted when the whistle was blown. Usually 90% motion for the travel. Not 1 person. Maybe be the strictest interpretation of the rules it was, but I've never seen anything like that actaully called.

Funny you mention that travel - which was a horrific call. It would be called on every single play. so really 3 TO's - which happens. He went 2/5 from inside the arc which is better than his season average from 2.

WHICH Wake travel?? :rolleyes:

The one where the guard dragged his pivot foot just before passing it?
Or the one where the guy did the same start to his dribble that Oshea did?
OR the one where that same guy took THREE steps before shooting the ball?

Literally THREE Wake travels on one play. None called.

Funny you mention that travel - which was a horrific call. It would be called on every single play. so really 3 TO's - which happens. EDIT* bro another TO was the phantom charge on the and 1 where both refs blew whistle then looked at the hoop saw it go in, looked at each other, shrugged and 1 guy called a charge. Horrible call!! so really 2 TO's EDIT* He went 2/5 from inside the arc which is better than his season average from 2.

Haha shooting better than his season average of an atrocious 36% from two isn't much to hang your hat on. Agreed on that travel call being absolutely horrible, however.

Haha shooting better than his season average of an atrocious 36% from two isn't much to hang your hat on. Agreed on that travel call being absolutely horrible, however.

I was the first loud vocal representive of this board to start howling of his 2 pt % being among the worst in Syracuse history - especially for a big. Trust me on that.

That being said - they guy is an absolute stud in the making. You can't teach that size, ballerina footwork, and athleticism. I am too young for DC and Billy Owens, but since 1995 (I was 10 and have probably watched/listened/attended 95% of games since that point) on, we've have had 1 guy who matches Oshae's basketball related overall athleticism/skills. And that is Carmelo Anthony.

Oshae will improve his 2 pt % next year if he sticks around. And if he sticks around, I would not count out NPOY level awards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom