My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
The tailgate was well attended. The caterers did a nice job. The food was good and plentiful. One of my friends is a drinker and he really enjoyed the Centennial IPAs. Their higher alcohol content had him very uninhibited well before kickoff. Someone brought a UNC fan with them. He was a good dude.

As always, I enjoyed talking to. A wide variety of people about a wide variety of topics. The board tailgates are awesome. If you have been thinking about stopping by and checking one out, please do so. I can almost guarantee you will have a good time, and regret not joining us far earlier.

I left the tailgate late and barely got in the Dome for the national anthem. I was too late to hear her introduced, but it was sung by a woman in orange with a really good voice. An alum I presume?

10 tubas. When the SUMB alums joined the band for halftime festivities, we got to 12, which was really nice. Said it before but the marching and sound of the SUMB has markedly improved over the new band director. Props to all involved.

At one point, I think it was when the team took the field initially (which happened appropriately at 4:44), the cheerleaders ran on the field holding flag, as is their wont. But instead of SYRACUSE, the flags spelled OUR HOUSE, with an angry Otto flag between the words. As an aside, I always feel a sense of pride when I see Angry Otto, as I believe cto and I (maybe others) invented the concept when spitballing ideas for a board shirt (ours also sported a Viking helmet and oversized beer stein). Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool.

On the topic of ‘Our House’, there was an attempt to do the chant, led by an announcer, and unlike the last few games, this one was not very successful. It was all about timing. The worst time possible to do this chant is just as halftime is ending. Many fans are still away from their seats, unaware of what is going on. The fans that are sitting are checking their phones, having discussions with their neighbors and not very engaged. ‘Our House’ should be reserved for a timeout during the game, when the fans are really hyped up, to keep them fired up and excited. Please deploy this weapon at more appropriate times in the future.

UNC appeared to bring a couple hundred fans, which given their record, was pretty good. Nothing close to what they bring to the Dome for basketball, where they probably bring more fans than any other ACC school.

At last, it is time to talk about the game. I think ACC schools figured out very early how to defend the Babers offense. Play the receivers in tight press (man) coverage. Make all throws difficult to complete. Play 8 men in the box and blitz as needed to put pressure on Dungey. In general, if the opponent has good pass rushers and good cornerbacks, they can largely shut down the offense and we often rely on Eric to get first downs running for his life on broken plays.

The way to beat this approach is to throw the ball long. The safeties are cheating to take away short and medium passes and the run and the CBs have little or no help. If you have fast, talented WRs and a QB who can throw the long ball, this should work.

I don’t think it is a secret that Eric, never the same accurate long passer when healthy, is not 100%. I saw him working his shoulder after almost every throw he made. I think whatever is wrong with his shoulder gets worse as the game goes on. Was really hoping the bye week would allow him to heal fully but this was clearly not the case.

Anyway, I thought we rarely tried to throw long the last few weeks, which kind of plays into the hands of our opponents. Part of this might be due to bad protection by the SU OL but when you get man coverage on an island all game long, you have to make the defense pay for taking away so much of your offense with this high risk gamble.

Was happy to see us throw the ball long yesterday a lot. Heck, I bet we threw it long more than any team in the country yesterday. I have a friend who is casual fan or football. He goes to a game with me once every 2 years or so. Doesn’t understand the game. Wants SU to threw it long on every play. I try to explain how you have to run the ball and throw short and intermediate routes to influence the defense and open things up for throwing long but he doesn’t understand. This was the game plan he has been pining for,

Bottom line, Eric, who I am a huge fan of, was not making the long throws the game plan called for. Further, I think Eric was getting frustrated and made some bad decisions, forcing the ball to civered receivers, and throwing the ball to double civered receivers repeatedly. Dino had to make a change to have a chance to win.

Tommy is not going to turn broken plays into 20 yard gains very often. He is going to be super aggressive and make a really bad decision from time to time, being the frosh that he is. But he is also going to connect on long passes a lot. Even on short and intermediate passes, the difference in the zip on the passes Eric threw and Tommy threw was startling. Right now, Eric can;t throw with the accuracy and power needed to beat press coverage, so if a team is going to play press coverage against us, Tommy needs to play,

I can imagine the DC at NC State putting the film in from this game, writing down notes ‘definitely play press, 8 men in the box, business as usual’. Then DeVito enters the game. Oh uh. Is he going to start? We gotta change the whole game plan. Who do we prepare for?

I think the right thing to do is start Eric and see if we get press coverage. If so, bring in Tommy. If not, play Eric. I think Dino is smart not to say much on this. Just playing Tommy and getting him destroying press coverage on film is, imho, incredibly important and makes the task of defending the Syracuse offense far more challenging,

We might actually see teams try and defend us straight up the rest of the season. If so, that should make it far easier to run the ball and throw short and intermediate routes. We have by and large not been able to run the true Baylor spread offense to date because of our long term inability to force defenses out of press coverage. That might have changed because of what happened late yesterday.

If not, look for Tommy to come in and go deep. A lot,

I love it.

Thought this game was a huge one for the defensive coaches. In recent weeks, we have been shockingly reluctant to play backups much, especially st linebacker, and have been shockingly reluctant to change personnel to adjust even when the offense we are playing has made it clear they are running the ball no matter what.

This had to change, It was good to see the coaches took advantage of the bye week to make some changes and try and firm up the defense against the run in running situations. Thought Shy played well and having 3 linebackers on the field was a big help against the run. (Where was the call on the UNC guy that took Shy out on their punt return for the TD though)?

Was disappointed at our relative lack of a pass rush. Was sad to see the defense appear to get worn down and give up points easily towards the end of the game. Again. Was delighted to see them find a way to regroup and make key stops down the stretch to give us a chance to win.

Props to Iffy for coming in and doing well in his first real playing time here. He and Trill and Andre are going to be fun to watch the next 3.5 years in that defensive backfield.

Another crazy game either team could have won. At the least, thus has been a really interesting season. Great win,. We match up pretty well with NC State though the injuries to both starting CBs are very concerning going against their WRs. It is the battle for 2nd place in the Atlantic and if we can win, things really get interesting,

War Damn Otto!

The tailgate was well attended. The caterers did a nice job. The food was good and plentiful. One of my friends is a drinker and he really enjoyed the Centennial IPAs. Their higher alcohol content had him very uninhibited well before kickoff. Someone brought a UNC fan with them. He was a good dude.

As always, I enjoyed talking to. A wide variety of people about a wide variety of topics. The board tailgates are awesome. If you have been thinking about stopping by and checking one out, please do so. I can almost guarantee you will have a good time, and regret not joining us far earlier.

I left the tailgate late and barely got in the Dome for the national anthem. I was too late to hear her introduced, but it was sung by a woman in orange with a really good voice. An alum I presume?

10 tubas. When the SUMB alums joined the band for halftime festivities, we got to 12, which was really nice. Said it before but the marching and sound of the SUMB has markedly improved over the new band director. Props to all involved.

At one point, I think it was when the team took the field initially (which happened appropriately at 4:44), the cheerleaders ran on the field holding flag, as is their wont. But instead of SYRACUSE, the flags spelled OUR HOUSE, with an angry Otto flag between the words. As an aside, I always feel a sense of pride when I see Angry Otto, as I believe cto and I (maybe others) invented the concept when spitballing ideas for a board shirt (ours also sported a Viking helmet and oversized beer stein). Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool.

On the topic of ‘Our House’, there was an attempt to do the chant, led by an announcer, and unlike the last few games, this one was not very successful. It was all about timing. The worst time possible to do this chant is just as halftime is ending. Many fans are still away from their seats, unaware of what is going on. The fans that are sitting are checking their phones, having discussions with their neighbors and not very engaged. ‘Our House’ should be reserved for a timeout during the game, when the fans are really hyped up, to keep them fired up and excited. Please deploy this weapon at more appropriate times in the future.

UNC appeared to bring a couple hundred fans, which given their record, was pretty good. Nothing close to what they bring to the Dome for basketball, where they probably bring more fans than any other ACC school.

At last, it is time to talk about the game. I think ACC schools figured out very early how to defend the Babers offense. Play the receivers in tight press (man) coverage. Make all throws difficult to complete. Play 8 men in the box and blitz as needed to put pressure on Dungey. In general, if the opponent has good pass rushers and good cornerbacks, they can largely shut down the offense and we often rely on Eric to get first downs running for his life on broken plays.

The way to beat this approach is to throw the ball long. The safeties are cheating to take away short and medium passes and the run and the CBs have little or no help. If you have fast, talented WRs and a QB who can throw the long ball, this should work.

I don’t think it is a secret that Eric, never the same accurate long passer when healthy, is not 100%. I saw him working his shoulder after almost every throw he made. I think whatever is wrong with his shoulder gets worse as the game goes on. Was really hoping the bye week would allow him to heal fully but this was clearly not the case.

Anyway, I thought we rarely tried to throw long the last few weeks, which kind of plays into the hands of our opponents. Part of this might be due to bad protection by the SU OL but when you get man coverage on an island all game long, you have to make the defense pay for taking away so much of your offense with this high risk gamble.

Was happy to see us throw the ball long yesterday a lot. Heck, I bet we threw it long more than any team in the country yesterday. I have a friend who is casual fan or football. He goes to a game with me once every 2 years or so. Doesn’t understand the game. Wants SU to threw it long on every play. I try to explain how you have to run the ball and throw short and intermediate routes to influence the defense and open things up for throwing long but he doesn’t understand. This was the game plan he has been pining for,

Bottom line, Eric, who I am a huge fan of, was not making the long throws the game plan called for. Further, I think Eric was getting frustrated and made some bad decisions, forcing the ball to civered receivers, and throwing the ball to double civered receivers repeatedly. Dino had to make a change to have a chance to win.

Tommy is not going to turn broken plays into 20 yard gains very often. He is going to be super aggressive and make a really bad decision from time to time, being the frosh that he is. But he is also going to connect on long passes a lot. Even on short and intermediate passes, the difference in the zip on the passes Eric threw and Tommy threw was startling. Right now, Eric can;t throw with the accuracy and power needed to beat press coverage, so if a team is going to play press coverage against us, Tommy needs to play,

I can imagine the DC at NC State putting the film in from this game, writing down notes ‘definitely play press, 8 men in the box, business as usual’. Then DeVito enters the game. Oh uh. Is he going to start? We gotta change the whole game plan. Who do we prepare for?

I think the right thing to do is start Eric and see if we get press coverage. If so, bring in Tommy. If not, play Eric. I think Dino is smart not to say much on this. Just playing Tommy and getting him destroying press coverage on film is, imho, incredibly important and makes the task of defending the Syracuse offense far more challenging,

We might actually see teams try and defend us straight up the rest of the season. If so, that should make it far easier to run the ball and throw short and intermediate routes. We have by and large not been able to run the true Baylor spread offense to date because of our long term inability to force defenses out of press coverage. That might have changed because of what happened late yesterday.

I love it.

Thought this game was a huge one for the defensive coaches. In recent weeks, we have been shockingly reluctant to play backups much, especially st linebacker, and have been shockingly reluctant to change personnel to adjust even when the offense we are playing has made it clear they are running the ball no matter what.

This had to change, It was good to see the coaches took advantage of the bye week to make some changes and try and firm up the defense against the run in running situations. Thought Shy played well and having 3 linebackers on the field was a big help against the run. (Where was the call on the UNC guy that took Shy out on their punt return for the TD though)?

Was disappointed at our relative lack of a pass rush. Was sad to see the defense appear to get worn down and give up points easily towards the end of the game. Again. Was delighted to see them find a way to regroup and make key stops down the stretch to give us a chance to win.

Props to Iffy for coming in and doing well in his first real playing time here. He and Trill and Andre are going to be fun to watch the next 3.5 years in that defensive backfield.

Another crazy game either team could have won. At the least, thus has been a really interesting season. Great win,. We match up pretty well with NC State though the injuries to both starting CBs are very concerning going against their WRs. It is the battle for 2nd place in the Atlantic and if we can win, things really get interesting,

War Damn Otto!

Great post as always. Spot on with the press/man observation. That is what Pitt did to Dungey and what UNC went with eventually too.

I think this style of O wants man and single coverages. You’re 100% right that Eric’s arm isn’t allowing him to beat it (injury is right - he could beat that the last couple of years). That said Tommy excels at making those throws.

I’d be very disappointed with Dino naming a starter at any time leading up to the game. Doreen deserves a lot of mystery and extra prep time. Don’t enjoy that guy. He’s got a personality akin to a rock.

I love it.

War Damn Otto!
I wasn’t sure if it was just me being sensitive to anyone touching shy so I’m glad you said it and not me. Lol. I wish our player( I didn’t see who it was) that slide off didn’t get between shy and the runner... I think Shy could have run him down at that point

Great post as always. Spot on with the press/man observation. That is what Pitt did to Dungey and what UNC went with eventually too.

I think this style of O wants man and single coverages. You’re 100% right that Eric’s arm isn’t allowing him to beat it (injury is right - he could beat that the last couple of years). That said Tommy excels at making those throws.

I’d be very disappointed with Dino naming a starter at any time leading up to the game. Doreen deserves a lot of mystery and extra prep time. Don’t enjoy that guy. He’s got a personality akin to a rock.
I agree, the coaches should play the same game all the other ACC coaches play...Make the other team guess who will be the starting QB.

I wasn’t sure if it was just me being sensitive to anyone touching shy so I’m glad you said it and not me. Lol. I wish our player( I didn’t see who it was) that slide off didn’t get between shy and the runner... I think Shy could have run him down at that point
I hope we see a lot more of Shy against State. You know how happy I am for him finally getting the start.

One of your best "My Takes". I'm curious. What is your assessment of Koda Martin's performance this season?

Great write up but Eric's difficulties extend well beyond press coverage and long passes. He struggles mightily with screen passes and throws in the flat. The receivers have to either jump for a ball thrown over their heads or reach back for a ball thrown behind them. We had a likely touchdown on a pass to a wide open Moe Neal in the flat and Eric missed very badly. This issue has been evident for many weeks.

Reactions: FAL
Great write up but Eric's difficulties extend well beyond press coverage and long passes. He struggles mightily with screen passes and throws in the flat. The receivers have to either jump for a ball thrown over their heads or reach back for a ball thrown behind them. We had a likely touchdown on a pass to a wide open Moe Neal in the flat and Eric missed very badly. This issue has been evident for many weeks.
I agree. If Neal had a good ball he was gone for td no doubt

Oh that was illegal I was screaming for a call. Silence from the North Carolina Conference Refs.

Yup hurt the shoulder against FSU and I think it's not really gotten better even she guys hurt the non throwing shoulder it wrecks your motion. Put athletic tape on your off shoulder and try to throw straight without ripping your arm hairs out multiply pain by 10x

Felt horrible for Moe after that fumble. He was putting together a really nice game up to that point

Howard and Neal have fumbled near the goal line while stretching towards it. Curious to see what Babers says about that.

One thing I did like about coach was when Howard fumbled early in the game he didn't play him again. I believe when Neal fumbled he didn't get back on the field either and coach went with Strick the rest of the way. It frustrates me when coaches treat players different I was glad Dino didn't do that and treated both runners the same.

Felt horrible for Moe after that fumble. He was putting together a really nice game up to that point

The referee got in his way on one run, Eric missed him on a likely TD, and he fumbled by himself at the end of a nice run...that’s an almost comical string of bad breaks.

Still a teaching game And Dino is teaching them to not fumble. If ur gonna well take a seat.

I love it.

War Damn Otto!

Nice to see tubas trending up!

I love Dungey and have had him as my avatar for the past 3 1/2 years, but it seems clear he is inured. Every since he came off the field against WMU with his right arm hanging straight down he has not been himself. I think the whole conference knows it.

Dungey's passing has been really shocking. He throws high and low on the simplest of patterns, something he never did this poorly before. Some of the passes yesterday cost a a couple of touchdowns. If it is a rotor cuff he will not improve by playing - only rest and/or surgery will fix it.

The whole team was energized by TD and I bet they they were all probably relieved to see him come in. They know Eric is injured and it must be frustrating to see Eric unable to perform to is ability.

I think Devito has earned the start. Just my opinion.

One of your best "My Takes". I'm curious. What is your assessment of Koda Martin's performance this season?
I think he has helped the team. I would give him a B so far. Looks pretty solid run blocking but has been beat pass blocking a few times too many for me to give him a better grade. Still plenty of season left though and lots of chances to bump it higher.

Nice to see tubas trending up!

I love Dungey and have had him as my avatar for the past 3 1/2 years, but it seems clear he is inured. Every since he came off the field against WMU with his right arm hanging straight down he has not been himself. I think the whole conference knows it.

Dungey's passing has been really shocking. He throws high and low on the simplest of patterns, something he never did this poorly before. Some of the passes yesterday cost a a couple of touchdowns. If it is a rotor cuff he will not improve by playing - only rest and/or surgery will fix it.

The whole team was energized by TD and I bet they they were all probably relieved to see him come in. They know Eric is injured and it must be frustrating to see Eric unable to perform to is ability.

I think Devito has earned the start. Just my opinion.
I'd still want Dungey on the field, even if he is struggling to throw. Do you think there's a chance we could see him as TE or other role where we could get him the ball in the open field? Devito to Dungey for 6?

I love it.

War Damn Otto!
i would like to see devito start. that said i would also so like to see dungy line up in a different position in the offense such as a te rb etc. it would be a good distraction to the defense. perhaps there could be some plays designed from having both in the game.
devito has great confidence and pocket presence. we all love dungy ---but devito has
earned his stripes

Tom, interested in your take on the battle between Kapilovic (OC for UNC) and Ward. To my eye, Kapilovic had Ward's number all day. I have not seen an offensive scheme as creative as that in a long time outside of the pros. They ran that pop-sweep (to Newsome) to perfection a couple of times for chunk gains, passes across the middle, in's, out's, boundary screens, reverses, counters, a few vertical passes ..etc (the kitchen sink). He kept Ward guessing all day even though our defense did a good job containing Carter. We had no answer for Newsome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom