My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Nova is a tough matchup for us defensively. They have a lot of good shooters, they space the floor well and are good at finding the open man.

They hurt us getting it inside, and when we collapsed on the guy in the paint, kicking out to the high post for an open 3. They made a lot of nice interior passes from the paint too. Tough to beat a team with all that experience.

Jesse was super active on defense, defending the corners, which basically took corner jumpers away from them, but at a major cost. We were without our best defensive rebounder on many plays. JB3 was not in the mix down low very much so on many occasions, we only had Cole down low, battling 3 Nova forwards for rebounds. Not good.

Even when Edwards was in position to get defensive rebounds, he struggled to hold on to the ball. I think Nova was pretty physical, gave him a lot of bumps and shoves and it really bothered him. I think he will learn from it and will handle it better in games against teams like UVa, UL, UNC and Duke.

Thought Jesse had a weird game. He was a focus for us on offense. We thought we could get the ball to him down low a lot with all the switching Nova does and for the most part, we were successful doing this. Though Jesse wasn't as aggressive as he could have been on a few passes. It almost looks like he doesn't fully realize how much range he has and everything he is capable of yet. He drew a ton of fouls but also missed an alarming number of 3 footers. I think he was shooting like 80% from the field 2 games ago but you can see when he gets bodied and leaned on, it bothers him a lot. Look for everyone to pick up on this when they see it on film (the same thing happened against FSU). Jesse has to finish his shots strong and maybe try to dunk more. He was close to having a huge game but somehow only ended up with 10 points. 8-15 FT shooting...where the heck did that come from?

I agree with whoever posted that they thought Buddy was playing hurt. You can see it pretty clearly with the way he is moving. Very tentative. Not sure if it is a leg, a bad back, but something is wrong and has been wrong for a couple of games now. Hope he gets some treatment the rest of the week to get ready for the Hoyas.

Nova rarely doubled him so he had few opportunities to pass out to the open man.

JB3 had an interesting game. He carried us for long periods on offense with a variety of hooks and post moves. But he was a non factor on the boards (Nova got a lot of rebounds on his side of the zone) and they definitely picked on his area when attacking the 2-3 with 3 balls. And there were many times Jimmy had the ball near the high post, started to drive, had Jesse open down low and did not pass it to him. 19 shots in 38 minutes is a lot. Concerned he is becoming a bit of a black hole. I get that often he was the only one who could beat his man and get a decent shot off but when you have Jesse open down low, you need to hit him.

Thought Cole played pretty well defensively, got some boards and did a lot of good things but he has to make those open 5-10 footers he got and missed and he has to find a way to get more quality shots off. It looks to me as though he stands around on the perimeter too much and he certainly doesn't have the ability to get his shots by driving yet. Disappointed with how little screening we do. With our personnel, this should be used more.

The game came down to our inability to keep Nova off the offensive boards. We do just a decent job there, we win. In games like this, we might want to think about using Frankie and Jesse together for short stretches. It won't help our offense playing Frankie at forward but I think we would at least have a chance to get more defensive rebounds and if you have Frankie focus on hitting the offensive boards, he might surprise and get some points too.

At this point, Benny's confidence looks to be crushed. Wish JB would tell him to focus on rebounding and defense and mostly play down low on offense, opposite of the side where Jesse is. Let him get some boards, maybe get a few easy baskets on put backs and start to rebuild his confidence like that.

Still wish JB would stagger his subs more so not more than 1 sub is in at any given time.

Watching on TV, it looked like we had a lot more fans in the house than Nova did. Can anyone confirm?

Lots I agree with here. Joe had 4 boards. Double the amount of Buddy and Jimmy. I don’t know what the fanbase wants from him. He played a good solid game, had a couple of unforced errors but generally handled a pretty good defender pretty well.

There was one guy that played really bad but it wasn’t Joe….

Great write up.
Agree with everything you mentioned.
Worst defensive rebounding SU team I’ve seen in 50 years!

"JBIII" huh?
Not be surprised if a JB3 plays for SU someday. :)

Jim Boeheim's parents are Jim and Janet.

Jim is JB Jr.

Jimmy is JB III.

JB III is playing for SU right now.

Will we see a JB IV???

buddy-boeheim-and-his-brother-jimmy-boeheim-of-the-syracuse-orange-picture-id1352485468

Concerned he is becoming a bit of a black hole.
A lot of guys are like that on this team and have been historically based on the ISO offense. I wonder how much of that is philosophically based where JAB knows bad passes will be turnovers and if you can beat your man, take your shot instead of making a bad pass.

A lot of guys are like that on this team and have been historically based on the ISO offense. I wonder how much of that is philosophically based where JAB knows bad passes will be turnovers and if you can beat your man, take your shot instead of making a bad pass.
You just never see our team work inside out which is every team that plays against us

Nova is a tough matchup for us defensively. They have a lot of good shooters, they space the floor well and are good at finding the open man.

They hurt us getting it inside, and when we collapsed on the guy in the paint, kicking out to the high post for an open 3. They made a lot of nice interior passes from the paint too. Tough to beat a team with all that experience.

Jesse was super active on defense, defending the corners, which basically took corner jumpers away from them, but at a major cost. We were without our best defensive rebounder on many plays. JB3 was not in the mix down low very much so on many occasions, we only had Cole down low, battling 3 Nova forwards for rebounds. Not good.

Even when Edwards was in position to get defensive rebounds, he struggled to hold on to the ball. I think Nova was pretty physical, gave him a lot of bumps and shoves and it really bothered him. I think he will learn from it and will handle it better in games against teams like UVa, UL, UNC and Duke.

Thought Jesse had a weird game. He was a focus for us on offense. We thought we could get the ball to him down low a lot with all the switching Nova does and for the most part, we were successful doing this. Though Jesse wasn't as aggressive as he could have been on a few passes. It almost looks like he doesn't fully realize how much range he has and everything he is capable of yet. He drew a ton of fouls but also missed an alarming number of 3 footers. I think he was shooting like 80% from the field 2 games ago but you can see when he gets bodied and leaned on, it bothers him a lot. Look for everyone to pick up on this when they see it on film (the same thing happened against FSU). Jesse has to finish his shots strong and maybe try to dunk more. He was close to having a huge game but somehow only ended up with 10 points. 8-15 FT shooting...where the heck did that come from?

I agree with whoever posted that they thought Buddy was playing hurt. You can see it pretty clearly with the way he is moving. Very tentative. Not sure if it is a leg, a bad back, but something is wrong and has been wrong for a couple of games now. Hope he gets some treatment the rest of the week to get ready for the Hoyas.

Nova rarely doubled him so he had few opportunities to pass out to the open man.

JB3 had an interesting game. He carried us for long periods on offense with a variety of hooks and post moves. But he was a non factor on the boards (Nova got a lot of rebounds on his side of the zone) and they definitely picked on his area when attacking the 2-3 with 3 balls. And there were many times Jimmy had the ball near the high post, started to drive, had Jesse open down low and did not pass it to him. 19 shots in 38 minutes is a lot. Concerned he is becoming a bit of a black hole. I get that often he was the only one who could beat his man and get a decent shot off but when you have Jesse open down low, you need to hit him.

Thought Cole played pretty well defensively, got some boards and did a lot of good things but he has to make those open 5-10 footers he got and missed and he has to find a way to get more quality shots off. It looks to me as though he stands around on the perimeter too much and he certainly doesn't have the ability to get his shots by driving yet. Disappointed with how little screening we do. With our personnel, this should be used more.

The game came down to our inability to keep Nova off the offensive boards. We do just a decent job there, we win. In games like this, we might want to think about using Frankie and Jesse together for short stretches. It won't help our offense playing Frankie at forward but I think we would at least have a chance to get more defensive rebounds and if you have Frankie focus on hitting the offensive boards, he might surprise and get some points too.

At this point, Benny's confidence looks to be crushed. Wish JB would tell him to focus on rebounding and defense and mostly play down low on offense, opposite of the side where Jesse is. Let him get some boards, maybe get a few easy baskets on put backs and start to rebuild his confidence like that.

Still wish JB would stagger his subs more so not more than 1 sub is in at any given time.

Watching on TV, it looked like we had a lot more fans in the house than Nova did. Can anyone confirm?
I was there. A ton of cuse fans in the house. Far more than nova. Was a good crowd too, very loud but unfortunately we couldn’t really get into it too much. We would get loud after we made a bucket only to come back down on D and give up 3 off Rebs than a 3. Frustrating. I stood up n sat down a lot lol. Overall very fun, def can’t blame the crowd not showing up for us.

You just never see our team work inside out which is every team that plays against us
Hard to run that when if the ball went inside to Jesse, 2 guys were going to be allowed to maul him.

I wish SU players would stop yapping when they score. Too much, “they can’t guard me”,” too small”. They should say, “we can’t guard anyone or rebound”.
I would lol if Buddy hits a pull up three and starts shaking his head saying "I can't rebound, you can keep me off the boards."

Yeah but,… SU forwards have in the past done a good job feeding the post. Jimmy doesn’t. Don’t know if he doesn’t trust himself or trust Jesse yet.

Yeah but,… SU forwards have in the past done a good job feeding the post. Jimmy doesn’t. Don’t know if he doesn’t trust himself or trust Jesse yet.
Do they? And I'm not necessarily talking about the forwards. I don't know without doing a deep dive, but I don't remember a lot of extra passes or kickouts from guys once they get inside. Everything is ISO and if a guy gets the ball in his hands, he's shooting.

if Jimmy is gonna shoot 10-19 then maybe he needs more shots.. Buddy going 3-15 is the big issues. Swider at least got 12 rebounds.

Do they? And I'm not necessarily talking about the forwards. I don't know without doing a deep dive, but I don't remember a lot of extra passes or kickouts from guys once they get inside. Everything is ISO and if a guy gets the ball in his hands, he's shooting.
Yeah, sorry, had a couple meetings that prevented me from responding. Stupid work.

Last night, I don't think our plan was to kick out to others once Jesse got the ball. He had a size advantage on everyone so he should have been able to exploit that all night. That being said, I saw at least two occasions where Jesse had his man sufficiently posted and sealed and Jimmy looked right at him and never threw the pass. I'd love to know if Jimmy has a single assist to Jesse this year. It's like the old days when our guards would look at Rak (before he was a senior) posted on the block and never pass him the ball. It was and still is infuriating.

I don't remember Cole ever posting inside last night, so expecting him to kick out is not something that will happen. Jimmy is going to shoot every time he gets the ball inside as well. Just who he is at this point after being the primary at Cornell that last year. Jesse is the only one I can remember kicking out and he did it well to Jimmy for a corner three a couple games ago.

But yeah, in order for us to get some decent open looks for our standstill shooters (Cole especially) we are going to need to go inside out. I expect that will happen against bigger front lines.

Last edited:
if Jimmy is gonna shoot 10-19 then maybe he needs more shots.. Buddy going 3-15 is the big issues. Swider at least got 12 rebounds.

In regards to swider, Villanova missed like 35 3 pointers. When we have Jesse running towards the corner to contest a 3, somebody has to get these rebounds every once in a while. 12 is not that much given the circumstances.

In regards to swider, Villanova missed like 35 3 pointers. When we have Jesse running towards the corner to contest a 3, somebody has to get these rebounds every once in a while. 12 is not that much given the circumstances.
I believe Nova had 18 offensive rebounds and we had only 20 defensive rebounds. We gave them too many opportunities and couldn't jump out to a double digit lead in the 1st half like we should have. Our offense should be more like Nova's. Lots of passing, find the open man, shoot the three. For a team with four "good" shooters, we don't take enough three point shots. It's crazy how often our opponent takes more threes than us. A month ago I posted those videos of the Utah Jazz in action. They have been the #1 offensive efficiency team in the NBA last year and this year due the pick and roll/setting picks/finding the open man for a corner three. We need to get Jesse more mobile up top. Think Craig Forth but think rolling with him toward the hoop. JAB is a hall of famer but there is a reason he is known for his defensive strategies.

I believe Nova had 18 offensive rebounds and we had only 20 defensive rebounds. We gave them too many opportunities and couldn't jump out to a double digit lead in the 1st half like we should have. Our offense should be more like Nova's. Lots of passing, find the open man, shoot the three. For a team with four "good" shooters, we don't take enough three point shots. It's crazy how often our opponent takes more threes than us. A month ago I posted those videos of the Utah Jazz in action. They have been the #1 offensive efficiency team in the NBA last year and this year due the pick and roll/setting picks/finding the open man for a corner three. We need to get Jesse more mobile up top. Think Craig Forth but think rolling with him toward the hoop. JAB is a hall of famer but there is a reason he is known for his defensive strategies.
Nova missed 37 3s and had 27 offensive rebounds last night. Those are absurd numbers and you don't really need to dive too much deeper than that.

We do not have the guard play to run an effective pick and roll offense and we should never attempt to do that from the sideline.

Jimmy not dumping the ball to a wide open Jessie has been an issue all year. Usually it irks me .. last night jE would have just let the pass roll out of bounds or brick the layup so I didn’t mind

Tomcat, I was the person who mentioned it looked like Buddy was playing physically hurt. There didn't seem to be that buddy energy he usually displays and the constant smile was not there last night. Hope nothing is seriously wrong - nothing mentioned in JB's presser. Buddy just had a tough night for a few reasons he usually has but makes the tough shots anyway.

Coming out of the timeout, Jimmy hit the little floater in the lane to make it 55-51 with about 6:15 left in the game.

From that point on, we scored 2 points (2 free throws by Jesse if I am not mistaken) and did not grab a single, clean defensive rebound (someone can correct me on this if I am wrong).

On every shot they took, Nova either grabbed the O rebound or Nova got their hands on the ball but knocked it out of bounds.

Ouch.

I think we played them pretty much dead-even for 34 minutes but those last 6 minutes were really rough.

At one point during the game they showed a graphic that showed Villanova with 22 second chance point vs 6 for us. Just can't have that kind of disparity and expect to win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom