My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Funny how excited we now get beating Ivy league schools...used to look at a game like this more like a scrimmage when we were good...
Try watching more college basketball. The Ivy league always has a few teams that would beat half of the ACC on a regular basis. In addition, we were 9.5 point favorites and won by 30. There were a lot of positives last night after a long time off and a terrible 2nd half against Georgetown.

Try watching more college basketball. The Ivy league always has a few teams that would beat half of the ACC on a regular basis. In addition, we were 9.5 point favorites and won by 30. There were a lot of positives last night after a long time off and a terrible 2nd half against Georgetown.
True that, well said. Plus, my in-laws are in town so it gave me an opportunity to tell them good night, retreat to my home office, drink some brews, and watch my favorite thing on earth... SU Basketball.

The hair reminds me of a story told to me by a RN: a guy with a huge afro died from spider bites nesting in his hair that he was not aware of.

This has to be short, lots going on.

Encouraging game. Brown has played well all season but we throttled them. Perhaps the most encouraging thing was how well we played in the second half. particularly the start of the second half.

This has been a huge issue for this team all season, but it was not a problem last night.

I think a big reason was matchup issues Brown had with the Syracuse players. Teams have been having good success putting a tall, lanky, athletic player on Buddy. Buddy can't really get a good shot off against this type of player going inside and he has even had problems getting his jumper off against this kind of player. When teams do this to us, they are usually putting their center or a big forward on Buddy, and it means there is a great matchup elsewhere that we need to take advantage of. Buddy has usually been unable to find the guy with the mismatch, so teams have been able to get away with this tactic to date.

Last night, Buddy usually had a guy his size or smaller on him and it seemed he could go inside whenever he wanted and get a good shot. Looked like they were running a lot of pick and rolls too, with Jesse starting near the foul line, and when he got it there, Buddy would try and beat him man to the spot directly behind Jesse, where he got a few open looks for 3s. When Buddy was covered, it was usually by the center who had Jesse and switched off. When they switched, Jesse headed for the basket and got a couple baskets/drawn fouls.

Good play, makes good use of our talent. Hope to see more of this in the future.

Good to see Buddy in Killer Mode again. Liked the 5 rebounds and another game with a bunch of assists. t is easy to take him for granted but he is a pretty special player.

Speaking of taking advantage of mismatches, thought Joe did another good job identifying mismatches and getting the ball to the player with the advantage. He ran the offense really well last night. Made some nice passes, lots of good decisions, and his shot selection was again solid. If he makes good decisions on when to shoot, his shooting percentage is going to be very good. I think this is pretty much a given now. He also played one of his best games defensively, anticipating passes and getting steals. Great game for him, other that his usual couple of inexplicable unforced turnovers. He has cut down on these pretty well, isn't where he needs to be but I see a lot of progress and like where he is at right now. Let's see how he does in conference play, I am sure he will get a lot of pressure in his face that will be uncomfortable to deal with.

JB3 rebounds better with a beard. That is the one conclusion I think we all can agree on. I was really happy one time when he was driving in the paint, had a guy in his face and instead of forcing a bad shot, saw Jesse and set him up for a dunk. Jimmy is a good passer and if he can find the open guy when he drives, it will make him a lot more effective.

Was again really pleased with what I saw from Symir. I know it was only Brown but he is playing with a lot of confidence right now and doing a really nice job finding the open man. I think he ended up with 7 assists and 0 turnovers. And he made a 3. Happy for him. It is good to see him playing a lot. I think JB playing the subs more in the first and second halves might have played a role in how much better we played as a team in the second half.

Brown was flummoxed by the zone for a long time, and dug a deep hole for themselves, but give them credit. They made some adjustments, started getting the ball into the paint regularly and started scoring a lot of points in the latter part of the first half. It is nice JB has the new option of stacking the guards to cut down on that. Looked like he made that adjustment and it was very effective making it harder for Brown to get it into the paint. It will be interesting to see how much JB uses this tweak in future games.

Thought Cole had a nice job offensively but I wish he hit the boards harder. Jimmy did a really nice job down low getting boards but he needs help. Jesse wasn't great on the boards either. Looked like he lost a few boards he was in position for. Just couldn't hold on to them. His hands were solid early in the season. Not sure if he is just frustrated, or nervous but he needs to be more of a factor rebounding, especially against a team like Brown. Weird to see him struggling with FTs now too.

Benny got a lot of PT and JB gave him the opportunity to play through a number of mistakes. The adjustment from HS to college is a big one and almost everyone struggles making it. Benny is not exception. It was good to see him getting a chance to learn from his mistakes, and getting a chance to make changes and address issues in real time. He has to get tougher, smarter, more assertive. I think he will get there and hope JB is able to find some minutes for him each game to help further his development. Think he can become a meaningful contributor in the second half of the season if JB is patient with him. That said, right now, he is costing us points a lot and it is hard to take that hit when wins are desperately needs and the margin for victories is so thin.

Thought Frank had a typical game. When he is in, players are able to get to the rim way easier than when Jesse is in. But Frank is a better rebounder I think, and might be a better finisher too (i.e. he dunks whenever he can).

Hope we play like this again Wednesday and Saturday. Cornell isn't great and this is a good time to play Virginia, who might be getting slowly better but are not playing like a Tony Bennett coached team yet.

A 3 win week would be awesome.

Fingers crossed.
This is short?

Funny how excited we now get beating Ivy league schools...used to look at a game like this more like a scrimmage when we were good...

Funny how even our best teams didn’t always beat these types of opponents by 30.

I agree. There were some nice things but it was Brown. Toms take was spot on. We basically played another solid, not very athletic or big team and beat them badly.
Buddy has been figured out. Cover him with height as he isn't quick enough to beat that type of match up.
Couple that with Joes inability to beat his man off the bounce and its tough sledding against athletic teams. Not so much against Brown.

Nice write-up but one disagreement, the IIId is not a good passer. He tends to be a black hole and throws really slooooow passes. It is like he needs to literally stop and think before he does anything. And why did he fall on the court last night more times than I could count.

Not to be total negative. I like his old man game around the basket ... most of the time.
I agree. The drive he eventually passed to Jesse, he missed a wide open Cole in the corner next to him. Worked out okay, but I get the feeling Jimmy doesn’t trust many other players besides Buddy and Joe.

Edit - wish my phone did a better job autocorrecting cole to Cole and jimmy to Jimmy. It's annoying seeing my posts so littered with inconsistencies and what looks like typos.

Last edited:
I agree. The drive he eventually passed to Jesse, he missed a wide open cole in the corner next to him. Worked out okay, but I get the feeling jimmy doesn’t trust many other players besides Buddy and Joe
Not to pile on Jimmy, but I think it was that play (unless there was another pass to Jesse, which is unlikely) where I remember he only did so because it was sort of a bail out. He was trying to get his own shot, got a little stuck, and luckily was able to get it to Jesse. Jimmy clearly has a shoot first, dribble second, and pass third mentality.

I agree. There were some nice things but it was Brown. Toms take was spot on. We basically played another solid, not very athletic or big team and beat them badly.
Buddy has been figured out. Cover him with height as he isn't quick enough to beat that type of match up.
Couple that with Joes inability to beat his man off the bounce and its tough sledding against athletic teams. Not so much against Brown.
this is my frustration with how the team was put together. watching the houston loss in the NCAAT last season it was clear that athletic hardnosed teams with solid d will be the kryptonite to this squad but it actually got worse agains those types of teams as this years squad lost a lot of athletes compared to last year.

to me it was just obvious that more athleticism was needed and a plan for what to do vs those types of teams - the villanova, uva, houston, even vcu etc types...

seemed like it shoulda been obvious not sure why it wasnt

Brown, on the other hand, is matchup heaven for this team.

I think that's JB biggest mistake - doing a hockey line switch with ALL 3 of those guys subbing in at once. We lose too much scoring, and as energetic as Frankie is (and a good rebounder), he's nowhere near the same rim protector that Jesse is.
He's putting the subs in a position to fail to protect his golden 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom