My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Status
Not open for further replies.

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Had the opportunity to sit in the fabled court side seats today. Thanks again cto.

First, some disjointed comments:

It is hard to determine what the score sitting courtside facing west. You can see the score on the big scoreboard up high but it is poorly presented with the names o the teams and their scores too far apart. You can also see it on the auxiliary scoreboards in the corners near where the 200 level ends, but it is way too far from the court and one of them was blocked by the basket. The natural place for the score (and the time remaining) for fans sitting courtside (or in the movable sections east of the court) is on the top ribbon scoreboard, even with center court. That is where your eyes look naturally for this info. We need to change things so a section of the top ribbon scoreboard at center court is always reserved to show the score and time remaining. People who sit in these areas pay a ton of money and deserve a decent solution where the key info everyone wants is easily available.

I think this was the first game of the year where they had promotions during timeouts. I will be honest. I was never a big fan of these contests. Some, like the Dunk & Bright bed shot, are long running and well loved. Others, not so much. But after sitting through most of a season with nothing going on during timeouts (even the dance team and cheerleaders have been banned from going on the court), I realize they are something I enjoy. I missed the hell out of them. We had 3 people dress in a hot dog, a ketchup and a mustard outfit and race. We had the ‘Dress like an Orange’ promotion. We had that shooting contest where they go all the way to half court if they shoot well (they did not today). Anyway, it was nice to have these back. I will say that I did see the dance team go out to center court one time and perform, but I think that was it. Guessing the change in the COVID status for SU allowed the return of the contests. Hearing we are close to to point where we don’t have to wear masks to the games any longer. I hope that happens before the season ends. I know a lot of people are not going to come until this happens.

Let’s talk about the game a bit. I think this was one of the rare games this year that was won with defense. Yes, the offense was pretty good at times but it also struggled for long stretches. But the defense was pretty good all game long and solid for long stretches. Thought JB brought in subs early that gave the defense a boost and their hard play kind of invigorated the efforts of everyone on defense.

Props to Symir, Benny and Bourama for their efforts on defense. Saw Cole playing some of his best defense of the year. His rotations down low are a lot better. Bourama got a block in the corner. Thought that play was done for the year once Jesse went down. Joe had some nice steals. Benny was really active. Symir always does a nice job. And I want to give Buddy props for a really nice effort on defense today. He was more active than normal, played tougher than normal and very solid. Might have been his best game on defense in his career.

Frank did what i expected him to do in his first start. He got in foul trouble right away and really was a non factor most of the game. Wasn’t helped by a couple of bad calls by this crew, which missed a lot of balls for both teams. Bourama was a revelation though, with his hard play, grittiness and hustle. He played with a passion I have not seen from him in a while. So happy he had a good game late in his senior season. So hoping he can build on this and continue to play well down the stretch.

Cole had a little guy on him most of the same (#51, the guy that probably broke a record for most missed 3s against one team in a single regular season). He took him inside and scored a few times. Played within himself. Made some nice passes. No forced shots. When he gets an open 3 these days, put it in the books. It is going in.

Buddy was solid on defense. Thought he did okay on offense. Held on to the ball a bit much, which led to too many turnovers. Didn’t pass it great. But he got some big baskets and was a key in the big run in the first half where the game was broken open.

JG3 sat for quite a while in the 1st half watching as we when on a defense fueled run. Didn’t create much, seemed really focused on getting shots off. Made his share of them. Shot well from the outside again. But I thought he didn’t do a great job running the offense. Wish he looked to create a bit more.

Symir had the opposite problem. Didn’t even look at the basket often when he had the ball. A little too unselfish at times. But I think we space better and have better ball rotation when he is in. He gets into the paint so easily and that leads to good looks for someone. Nice to feel good when he is in the game. I think he is getting a built better with every game.

Jimmy did a nice job rebounding on the defensive end. I think he is best suited to being a role player on this team. Get defensive rebounds. Take advantage of quality looks when he has them on offense, but avoid forcing shots whenever possible. When his shot selection is good, he can help this team. And it was today.

Heartened by how well Bourama played. If he can actually start contributing some points and also play decent defense and get some rebounds, he helps offset the loss of Jesse greatly. It would be a great story if he emerges late and gets us say 8 points and 5 boards a game down the stretch. If anyone on the team deserves this, it is him. He has gone though so much. Hope it happens.

It was a fun game to watch today. Let’s keep it up. War Damn Otto!

Last edited by a moderator:
And I know a lot of people who will not attend an indoor sports event if masks are NOT required. I felt reasonably comfortable sitting in a theatre last week where people were 100 percent masked and vaccinated (and were not cheering or yelling). An unmasked crowd ... that is cheering and yelling ... I don't know whether I am ready for that. And I know many people who feel the same way.

Masks are not required in stores in my part of the world (southern CT). But everyone continues to wear them. And no one seems uncomfortable doing so.

What is so difficult about wearing a mask?

Last edited:
I'd like a double-double from Frank/Bourama. Today it was 5/7, although Bourama added 2 blocks and 2 steals.

1) They should simply call things what they are and change the name of The Dance Team to The Booty Brigade.

2) The contest with the little kids trying to put on Orange gear and run down the court would be a lot better if they did it with 70-80 year old fans.

3) The racing hot dog was good. He got off to a hot start, but then I think his mask was in his eyes and he couldn’t ketchup.

4) Glad to see Sidibe getting legitimate minutes. I know it was only BC. But we will need him down the stretch.

Symir attacked at least once but missed because he had a tough angle but we got the O board and put back.

He has been able to attack for most of the latter part of the year.

It’s not if he can, it’s just if he’s given the green light or in the right situation.

Dude has good body control and knows when to elevate near the rim.

Last edited:
And I know a lot of people who will not attend an indoor sports event if masks are NOT required. I felt reasonably comfortable sitting in a theatre last week where people were 100 percent masked and vaccinated (and were not cheering or yelling). An unmasked crowd ... that is cheering and yelling ... I don't know whether I am ready for that. And I know many people who feel the same way.

Masks are not required in stores in my part of the world (southern CT). But everyone continues to wear them. And no one seems uncomfortable doing so.

Appreciate opposing views. I hate wearing a mask, but willingly did so when required and "the right thing to do".
I welcomed the relaxed NYS mandate on Feb. 10. I'm fully vaccinated/boosted, and when the gov't. says I finally don't need a mask anymore then I'm certainly not wearing one.

Based on my experience around Syracuse since 2/10, everyone around here is not continuing to wear masks. Those I see wearing them are mostly seniors, and I understand that.

Feedback not intended to trigger debate -just think that many do welcome free breathing and seeing others' faces again. (And glasses not fogging up!)

It is really not difficult at all. I remember this summer when I contemplated wearing one at a game, I thought NO WAY. But actually - WAY. I have a KN95; it is much better than cloth or the blue paper ones. I think they want to get rid of masks for the Duke game. I rather dread that if it is the case but hey, I will go anyway and I may be the only one wearing a mask there.

My daughter is in Louisville visiting her cousins (actually went to the Louisville game today) and Kelly’s brother’s friend took her ticket. He and his friend sat to the left of me and it was so much fun! Those seats have been empty all season (as well as Row C behind me) and these guys were engaged and funny and cheered vigorously. Hooray for me! :)

I was struck by Sidibe’s energy today and the energy of the crowd every time he touched the ball. It was good for us. I hope it was good for him! Also thought Cole played great. During a time out in the second half (?) the woman in front of me said Boeheim chewed out Joe for half a minute. Anyone know what that was about?

Pat, Kelly’s brother’s friend, asked me several times how I knew Kelly or her brother. What was the connection? He didn’t hear me when I said “the board” or didn’t understand me. When he asked the third time, I had to say loudly (stupid masks), “I KNOW HER FROM THE FAN BOARD!” “Fan board??? What fan board?” “SYRACUSEFAN.COM!” I yelled. “I didn’t know there was a fan board,” he said.

Sheesh.

1) They should simply call things what they are and change the name of The Dance Team to The Booty Brigade.

2) The contest with the little kids trying to put on Orange gear and run down the court would be a lot better if they did it with 70-80 year old fans.

3) The racing hot dog was good. He got off to a hot start, but then I think his mask was in his eyes and he couldn’t ketchup.

4) Glad to see Sidibe getting legitimate minutes. I know it was only BC. But we will need him down the stretch.

The hot dog didn't need ketchup. He needed mustard.

Cheerleaders used to look like this:

1645315370871.png

Now they look like this:

syracuse_cheerleaders.jpg

SU is still mandating masks and Vax proof despite NYS and most of the rest of the world moving on. I’ve been going to games. But they better end it soon. Enough is enough.

It is really not difficult at all. I remember this summer when I contemplated wearing one at a game, I thought NO WAY. But actually - WAY. I have a KN95; it is much better than cloth or the blue paper ones. I think they want to get rid of masks for the Duke game. I rather dread that if it is the case but hey, I will go anyway and I may be the only one wearing a mask there.

My daughter is in Louisville visiting her cousins (actually went to the Louisville game today) and Kelly’s brother’s friend took her ticket. He and his friend sat to the left of me and it was so much fun! Those seats have been empty all season (as well as Row C behind me) and these guys were engaged and funny and cheered vigorously. Hooray for me! :)

I was struck by Sidibe’s energy today and the energy of the crowd every time he touched the ball. It was good for us. I hope it was good for him! Also thought Cole played great. During a time out in the second half (?) the woman in front of me said Boeheim chewed out Joe for half a minute. Anyone know what that was about?

Pat, Kelly’s brother’s friend, asked me several times how I knew Kelly or her brother. What was the connection? He didn’t hear me when I said “the board” or didn’t understand me. When he asked the third time, I had to say loudly (stupid masks), “I KNOW HER FROM THE FAN BOARD!” “Fan board??? What fan board?” “SYRACUSEFAN.COM!” I yelled. “I didn’t know there was a fan board,” he said.

Sheesh.
I believe JG3 got yelled at when he took a deep 3 early in the clock when BC cut the lead down to 14 with maybe 3 minutes left. Paddy Casey came right in. So either JAB was pissed JG3 knew he was being subbed out and hoisted a deep three or because of the clock thing. I believe he made it and still got a talking to. Unless there was another time.

I believe JG3 got yelled at when he took a deep 3 early in the clock when BC cut the lead down to 14 with maybe 3 minutes left. Paddy Casey came right in. So either JAB was pissed JG3 knew he was being subbed out and hoisted a deep three or because of the clock thing. I believe he made it and still got a talking to. Unless there was another time.
Correct, but there was only 1:23 left in the game. Paddy and other subs were already at the scorer's table. The three put them up 19. And like you said, it was very early in the shot clock -- Joe had just crossed half court.

Appreciate opposing views. I hate wearing a mask, but willingly did so when required and "the right thing to do".
I welcomed the relaxed NYS mandate on Feb. 10. I'm fully vaccinated/boosted, and when the gov't. says I finally don't need a mask anymore then I'm certainly not wearing one.

Based on my experience around Syracuse since 2/10, everyone around here is not continuing to wear masks. Those I see wearing them are mostly seniors, and I understand that.

Feedback not intended to trigger debate -just think that many do welcome free breathing and seeing others' faces again. (And glasses not fogging up!)
Why wear a mask if its not required and you have been vaccinated unless you want to. Im sure some percentage of the worlds population will continue to wear them forever.

i hear you on this. If the dome does change its policy and no longer require masks for the last couple of games, I will still wear one. I have a 1 year old granddaughter and an 84 year old mother in law and don’t want to get them sick.

Stores do not require masks in CNY any longer. Haven’t for a couple of weeks now. I would say around 80% of the customers are still wearing them. Guessing it they do open things up at the dome, the percentage will drop some but will still be over 50%.

Given that and my plan to wear a mask and I still would feel safe about going to a game. The Duke one is the only one where it is really going to be packed. That one is a concern and if masks are not required, I might go N95 on that one.

The way I see it, if you are concerned about getting infected, there will still be options to feel safe.

Hope the added choices are enough to get some people who have sat out games so far to return. And keep the people that care about people wearing masks feeling good (at least pretty good) about things as well.

Edit

Something I wanted to mention on my initial post and did not was that JAB has experimented with JB3 at center a number of times. Pretty much always with disastrous results. JB3 got some minutes at the 5 again today, but this time, I think the results were really good.

I think it happened towards the end of the first half. I think Frank was out with 3 fouls, and Bourama got gassed and needed some rest, so JB opted to play a 3 forward lineup (Cole, JB3 and Benny) for a few minutes. We normally get destroyed on the boards when we go small like this, and usually get chewed up inside for lots of easy baskets but not today. JB3 even took advantage of getting covered by that lurchy slow BC center (33 I think) and rolled him for an easy basket. Most of the points gained using this lineup were driven by defense by others but it was good to see this finally work.

Last edited:
i hear you on this. If the dome does change its policy and no longer require masks for the last couple of games, I will still wear one. I have a 1 year old granddaughter and an 84 year old mother in law and don’t want to get them sick.

Stores do not require masks in CNY any longer. Haven’t for a couple of weeks now. I would say around 80% of the customers are still wearing them. Guessing it they do open things up at the dome, the percentage will drop some but will still be over 50%.

Given that and my plan to wear a mask and I still would feel safe about going to a game. The Duke one is the only one where it is really going to be packed. That one is a concern and if masks are not required, I might go N95 on that one.

The way I see it, if you are concerned about getting infected, there will still be options to feel safe.

Hope the added choices are enough to get some people who have sat out games so far to return. And keep the people that care about people wearing masks feeling good (at least pretty good) about things as well.

If they change the mask mandate in the Dome, I believe SU has said it will be for the vaccinated.

If they change the mask mandate in the Dome, I believe SU has said it will be for the vaccinated.
That is what the Crunch did from the start of the season. Only vaccinated allowed. No masks required. That works even better for me.

That is what the Crunch did from the start of the season. Only vaccinated allowed. No masks required. That works even better for me.

I meant that not requiring masks would only apply to the vaccinated. At least that’s how I interpret this paragraph.

“While the school’s Carrier Dome protocols remain in place, Haynie said Syracuse is communicating with public health officials and other large venue operators across the state about potential adjustments that could be made for vaccinated fans.”

Had the opportunity to sit in the fabled court side seats today. Thanks again cto.

First, some disjointed comments:

It is hard to determine what the score sitting courtside facing west. You can see the score on the big scoreboard up high but it is poorly presented with the names o the teams and their scores too far apart. You can also see it on the auxiliary scoreboards in the corners near where the 200 level ends, but it is way too far from the court and one of them was blocked by the basket. The natural place for the score (and the time remaining) for fans sitting courtside (or in the movable sections east of the court) is on the top ribbon scoreboard, even with center court. That is where your eyes look naturally for this info. We need to change things so a section of the top ribbon scoreboard at center court is always reserved to show the score and time remaining. People who sit in these areas pay a ton of money and deserve a decent solution where the key info everyone wants is easily available.

I think this was the first game of the year where they had promotions during timeouts. I will be honest. I was never a big fan of these contests. Some, like the Dunk & Bright bed shot, are long running and well loved. Others, not so much. But after sitting through most of a season with nothing going on during timeouts (even the dance team and cheerleaders have been banned from going on the court), I realize they are something I enjoy. I missed the hell out of them. We had 3 people dress in a hot dog, a ketchup and a mustard outfit and race. We had the ‘Dress like an Orange’ promotion. We had that shooting contest where they go all the way to half court if they shoot well (they did not today). Anyway, it was nice to have these back. I will say that I did see the dance team go out to center court one time and perform, but I think that was it. Guessing the change in the COVID status for SU allowed the return of the contests. Hearing we are close to to point where we don’t have to wear masks to the games any longer. I hope that happens before the season ends. I know a lot of people are not going to come until this happens.

Let’s talk about the game a bit. I think this was one of the rare games this year that was won with defense. Yes, the offense was pretty good at times but it also struggled for long stretches. But the defense was pretty good all game long and solid for long stretches. Thought JB brought in subs early that gave the defense a boost and their hard play kind of invigorated the efforts of everyone on defense.

Props to Symir, Benny and Bourama for their efforts on defense. Saw Cole playing some of his best defense of the year. His rotations down low are a lot better. Bourama got a block in the corner. Thought that play was done for the year once Jesse went down. Joe had some nice steals. Benny was really active. Symir always does a nice job. And I want to give Buddy props for a really nice effort on defense today. He was more active than normal, played tougher than normal and very solid. Might have been his best game on defense in his career.

Frank did what i expected him to do in his first start. He got in foul trouble right away and really was a non factor most of the game. Wasn’t helped by a couple of bad calls by this crew, which missed a lot of balls for both teams. Bourama was a revelation though, with his hard play, grittiness and hustle. He played with a passion I have not seen from him in a while. So happy he had a good game late in his senior season. So hoping he can build on this and continue to play well down the stretch.

Cole had a little guy on him most of the same (#51, the guy that probably broke a record for most missed 3s against one team in a single regular season). He took him inside and scored a few times. Played within himself. Made some nice passes. No forced shots. When he gets an open 3 these days, put it in the books. It is going in.

Buddy was solid on defense. Thought he did okay on offense. Held on to the ball a bit much, which led to too many turnovers. Didn’t pass it great. But he got some big baskets and was a key in the big run in the first half where the game was broken open.

JG3 sat for quite a while in the 1st half watching as we when on a defense fueled run. Didn’t create much, seemed really focused on getting shots off. Made his share of them. Shot well from the outside again. But I thought he didn’t do a great job running the offense. Wish he looked to create a bit more.

Symir had the opposite problem. Didn’t even look at the basket often when he had the ball. A little too unselfish at times. But I think we space better and have better ball rotation when he is in. He gets into the paint so easily and that leads to good looks for someone. Nice to feel good when he is in the game. I think he is getting a built better with every game.

Jimmy did a nice job rebounding on the defensive end. I think he is best suited to being a role player on this team. Get defensive rebounds. Take advantage of quality looks when he has them on offense, but avoid forcing shots whenever possible. When his shot selection is good, he can help this team. And it was today.

Heartened by how well Bourama played. If he can actually start contributing some points and also play decent defense and get some rebounds, he helps offset the loss of Jesse greatly. It would be a great story if he emerges late and gets us say 8 points and 5 boards a game down the stretch. If anyone on the team deserves this, it is him. He has gone though so much. Hope it happens.

It was a fun game to watch today. Let’s keep it up. War Damn Otto!
If we get anything like the Sidibe from before the injuries, we are a completely different team.

Unfortunately, he is a very different player than Edwards, so we may have to go through another adjustment period.

But, woah, he was a 12 and 10 guy who played great defense in his last six games before getting injured.

I was really high on him getting us to a great year.

It would be amazing if he and Anselem both played 20 here on out and averaged 12-10-3 while playing decent defense. Combine that with Buddy and Swider shooting 50% from three the rest of the way, we might make the NCAA tourney the hard way. :)

I've not been to the Dome for two years. Am planning on coming to the Duke game. If they change the mask policy ... it is doubtful. I'm sure I am not the only season ticket-holder who is considered "medically vulnerable" who is nervous about going into a 30,000-crowd of cheering and yelling fans who are not wearing masks.

Last edited:

Sheesh.

It's funny, I have the opposite experience with the KN95. I had no trouble with basic cloth masks, but when omicron came around and we started seeing more and more people wearing their masks incorrectly or not at all, we decided to upgrade to the KN95. I find I can't breathe through my nose at all without blasting air into my eyes. Worse, I eventually get completely stuffed up, after only 20-30 minutes.

Now, I've had my nose broken a few times playing sports and had surgery on my nose as well, so maybe that's part of my problem.

It's a sacrifice I'm willing to do for my baby who can't get vaccinated yet.

But going to a basketball game and trying to cheer for that long in the KN95 would be agonizing.

Last edited:
It's funny, I have the opposite experience with the KN95. I had no trouble with basic cloth masks, but when omicron came around and we started seeing more and more people wearing their masks incorrectly or not at all, we decided to upgrade to the KN95. I find I can't breathe through my nose at all without blasting air into my eyes. Worse, I eventually get completely stuffed up, after only 20-30 minutes.

Now, I've had my nose broken a few times playing sports and had surgery on my nose as well, so maybe that's part of my problem.

It's a sacrifice I'm willing to do for my baby who can't get vaccinated yet.

But going to a basketball game and trying to cheer for that long in the KN95 would be agonizing.
Huh. I wonder if you have a different style? On my walk to and from the Dome (1 mile) I had my coat hood around my face, sunglasses, and wore my mask because the wind was so bitter. I was amazed that my sunglasses didn’t fog up! The fit did not seem to let air out but at the same time I could breathe easily.

Maybe it’s the broken nose? I am sorry you must suffer for the sake of your child but that is The Way. :) Doesn’t end when they’re 18, either.

SU is still mandating masks and Vax proof despite NYS and most of the rest of the world moving on. I’ve been going to games. But they better end it soon. Enough is enough.
The sooner COVID ends, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors