My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny, I have the opposite experience with the KN95. I had no trouble with basic cloth masks, but when omicron came around and we started seeing more and more people wearing their masks incorrectly or not at all, we decided to upgrade to the KN95. I find I can't breathe through my nose at all without blasting air into my eyes. Worse, I eventually get completely stuffed up, after only 20-30 minutes.

Now, I've had my nose broken a few times playing sports and had surgery on my nose as well, so maybe that's part of my problem.

It's a sacrifice I'm willing to do for my baby who can't get vaccinated yet.

But going to a basketball game and trying to cheer for that long in the KN95 would be agonizing.
I have to wear a mask off and on all day for my job in 40 minute blocks 7-8 times per day (home health). I've found the K95s easier to deal with and more comfortable but it varies by brand. You also have to position the mask well and pinch the nose part just right. I haven't found that my nose gets stuffy, but it is a little runny after most sessions. I wonder how much that varies from person to person.

The sooner COVID ends, the better.
I hope that happens. Unfortunately, I just heard about a new sub-variant that may be coming on that is as strong as delta and more contagious than the original omicron variant.

And I know a lot of people who will not attend an indoor sports event if masks are NOT required. I felt reasonably comfortable sitting in a theatre last week where people were 100 percent masked and vaccinated (and were not cheering or yelling). An unmasked crowd ... that is cheering and yelling ... I don't know whether I am ready for that. And I know many people who feel the same way.

Masks are not required in stores in my part of the world (southern CT). But everyone continues to wear them. And no one seems uncomfortable doing so.

What is so difficult about wearing a mask?
If a person feels more protected wearing a mask, more power to them.

Beyond that, in a world where supposedly protective vaccinations ,(one, two, three,….; layers deep) are available, it’s no longer my obligation to make anyone else feel safe.

Beyond that, in a world where supposedly protective vaccinations ,(one, two, three,….; layers deep) are available, it’s no longer my obligation to make anyone else feel safe.
I am sorry to hear that. I feel it is my obligation to make everyone feel safe ... whether through supporting the police, contributing to charities or practicing good hygiene. Okay, maybe I'm a pollyanna... but that's me.

It must be very freeing to live in a world where you don't care about anybody but yourself.

It must be very freeing to live in a world where you don't care about anybody but yourself.

Sadly, there’s somewhere between 30-40% of this country that feels that same way.

Just imagine the 300 Spartans facing the overwhelming Persian armies.
Except ~100 of them decided they didn’t want to be part of the shield wall:
  • you can’t make me use a shield! I have my rights!
  • The Persian army is fake!
  • Shields make it hard for me to breathe!
  • This is all a ploy by by Big Shield to make us buy more shields.

Hopefully we don’t face the same fate as that group of Spartans.

I've not been to the Dome for two years. Am planning on coming to the Duke game. If they change the mask policy ... it is doubtful. I'm sure I am not the only season ticket-holder who is considered "medically vulnerable" who is nervous about going into a 30,000-crowd of cheering and yelling fans who are not wearing masks.
I dont know your medical history but my Dad who is 88 and a TB survivor has decided to attend the Duke game. Hes fully vaccinated and has had the booster shot. A good Doc friend from Mayo told my Dad he would be ok but advised him to wear his mask regardless of the policy.
Hopefully you will be able to attend.

I believe JG3 got yelled at when he took a deep 3 early in the clock when BC cut the lead down to 14 with maybe 3 minutes left. Paddy Casey came right in. So either JAB was pissed JG3 knew he was being subbed out and hoisted a deep three or because of the clock thing. I believe he made it and still got a talking to. Unless there was another time.
One of the things that bothers me about Joe is this: when he sees that he is getting subbed for poor play, he will take a 3 next time down court. If he misses, no harm to him: he was coming out already. If he makes it, JB will pull back the sub, 100% of the time.

Well, if I am vaccinated and you are vaccinated, why not feel safe. Could it be that you don’t think the vaccines work?

I hope that happens. Unfortunately, I just heard about a new sub-variant that may be coming on that is as strong as delta and more contagious than the original omicron variant.
NA NA NA NA, I can’t HEAR you!

I am sorry to hear that. I feel it is my obligation to make everyone feel safe ... whether through supporting the police, contributing to charities or practicing good hygiene. Okay, maybe I'm a pollyanna... but that's me.
If you read the NYT there’s a good article in it today about when and why to mask or unmask. One of the factors it emphasizes is whether you are in a big space with good air filtration. That fits the Dome. And if you are sitting courtside you are in a good position vis a vis crowding. I sit in the third tier with only one row in front of me. I don’t feel crowded.

This will be a huge game for Coaches B & K. Hope you can go!

I guess the question would be when in your mind would it be safe to go without? Covids not going way, and there’s always going to be a new variant. Though I certainly don’t begrudge people who will continue to mask up when mandates are lifted.

Well, if I am vaccinated and you are vaccinated, why not feel safe. Could it be that you don’t think the vaccines work?
The unvaccinated dope without a mask breathing on me for two hours is a much greater risk of infecting me than a person who is wearing a mask and vaccinated.

The vaccines greatly reduce the likelihood of getting Covid and passing it if you do get it, but most importantly, they reduce your chance of dieing when you do get it... But my goal is to not get it at all. The unvaccinated and unmasked make that harder.

If you’ve traveled around the world the last 20 years , you’ll see that some societies have been masking for years .. it’s just routine .. not everyone in even those societies masks up , but a certain percentage always do.. masks are here forever , but the mandates aren’t. It’s mostly theater with the garbage masks people are wearing and how they wear them anyway .. and the “it’s ok to take it off when you eat or drink” just adds to the theater of it all.

For me, I'll get whatever vaccine or booster the CDC recommends and I will continue to wear a mask to the extent possible.

That's the least I can do for me, my family and those around me.

Let's Go Orange!

If you read the NYT there’s a good article in it today about when and why to mask or unmask. One of the factors it emphasizes is whether you are in a big space with good air filtration. That fits the Dome. And if you are sitting courtside you are in a good position vis a vis crowding. I sit in the third tier with only one row in front of me. I don’t feel crowded.

This will be a huge game for Coaches B & K. Hope you can go!
I'm more worried about the people behind or next to me than the people ahead of me. The Duke game could be pretty crowded. I would be all for keeping the mask mandate through the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom