My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
It was a pretty nice night. Not much wind. Around 50 degrees. Someone went to the game in shorts. No, it was not me.

The crown truss was all lit up in green before the game. Looked pretty. Why green? I don't know. Why not?

At the football game on Friday night, I had a 5G signal for the first time. I am a Spectrum customer, and they get their signal from Verizon. It was very fast and I had no problems accessing the Internet. Was hopeful that would again be the case last night.

And it was. 30 minutes before the game, I was getting over 470 mbps on my phone. At 7:01 pm, as the game was starting, I was still getting 168.51 mbps. Used Speedtest.net for all my tests. This was all running from my wieless connection. Just before the game, it dropped from 5G to LTE but a few minutes later it was back to 5G. And it stayed there the whole game. I tried to bring up the Wofford-UNC game on the ESPN app and it came right up with a clear screen and no buffering or pixilation.

Also ran speedtest.net on my workphone, which uses AT&T. It only had an LTE signal. 4.34 mbps.

I should note that the Wifi at the dome remains awful. Do not connect to that OrangeHotSpot network unless you have no choice. I was getting speeds of around 1 mbps when I was connected to it.

Anyway. I think the 5G Era at the dome has begun. Yay. 5G is really fast but it is a new technology and if you have an older phone, even if you have Verizon as your carrier, you might still be out of luck.

If you have an iPhone, you will need one of the following models:

Apple's latest lineup, including the iPhone 14, 14 Plus, 14 Pro, 14 Pro Max, SE (2022), the iPhone 13 series, and the iPhone 12 series, all come equipped with 5G as standard. These devices vary in terms of screen size, features, and price, so do some research first and choose a model that meets your needs and budget.

This concludes the technology discussion for this post.

Small crowd. Very small. Ushers said it was going to be 5K and maybe it was. But there was a lot of silver in the 100 level. The 300 level was better but 'not great Bob!'. Very weqak turnout by the students as well. The cheerleaders, dance team, SSS and Otto were there in full force though.

The woman who sang the NA had a good voice and did a fine job. Props to her.

Chance Westry was standing court side in blue sweats during pregame warmups, No discernable limp, was laughing, looked to be in good shape and good spirts.

Looked around for JB but did not see him larking in a dark corner of a private box. Speaking of private boxes, asked someone standing outside Weitman's old box what the scoop was with it. She said no one has bought it and that it was available for rental on a game by game basis. Asked if I wanted to rent it out? I declined that offer. Should have asked how much it costs per game. WIll try and get that next game.

Clarence Daniels is a really good player. Has a chance to play in the NBA. Smooth, tough, seems to do everything well. Out of Brooklyn Park, just north of Minneapolis.

Maliq Brown showed no signs of problems with his groin but he hurt his back early in the second half and sucked it up to come in and help us get a win. He has great hands and was a disruptive force on defense, especially in the second half. Knocked the ball loose repeatedly. Props to him for playing hurt. Helped get us a win. Naheem was a bad fit trying to cover NH's quick little guys and Pete wasn't up the task defensively either. Mounir Hima was wearing sweats and did not look like he was able to play last night.

Starling looked like he sprained an ankle pretty badly in the second half. Badly enough that he had to go to the locker room to presumably get it re-taped. When that happened, right about 10 minutes into the second half, Red was forced to bring Judah in and play the 2-3 to try and keep Judah, who was very aggressive playing man defense, from fouling out. The zone wasn't great but it was good enough to keep JM in the game and buy time for JJ to come back in.

Quadir again gave quality minutes in few periods of the game. Helped cover Daniels. Was a beast on the boards when we need that badly. Took a couple bad shots and maybe was a bit too aggressive but he can slash, he can make things happen and he always plays hard.

Way too many of our players let themselves get taken deep into the lane on dribble drives. We need to get tougher on defense. We were tough early but as in the exhibition games, we lost a lot of intensity on defense as the game progressed. It is great to see us play with good intensity for sustained periods but it would be better to see us do that for a whole game. The time is coming where we are going to need to see that or we are going to lose games.

Thought the refs really struggled. Lots of questionable calls. Mostly to the benefit of NH.

We have too many mediocre outside shooters taking too many 3s. We had way too many players take bad off balance shots from bad angles. Not nearly as selective with shot selection as we need to be. Need to make that last pass to go from a decent shot to a sure thing. Too willing to settle for a decent shot too often.

Glad we won. If we play like this against Canisius or Colgate, we will lose. UNH had a bunch of open 3s that they missed that other teams will make.

Hope this game was a good learning experience for the team. I am concerned we saw a lot of the same types of mistakes in the exhibition games that we saw here. This stuff needs to get cleaned up now.

The Dunk and Bright promo where someone takes two shots from the bed has reached a new low. They have moved the bed to the foul line. What the heck? A woman took two shots and didn't reach the middle of the paint with either one.

The other promo where someone needs to make a layup, a free throw, a 3 pointer and a half court shot got a lot of boos. The guy doing it made his layup and FT in short order, and I tthink he hit his 3rd 3 point attempt. But they wouldn't let me even take the half court shot. I think you have to give people a chance in these things. What are the odds he is going to make a half court shot? 500-1?

Excited to have 5G. Excited with the team trying to push the ball up the court fast and the attempt to play good man to man defense. I think we pushed it a lot harder when JJ was playing point than with Judah out there and hopefully that changes as Judah gets more in the swing of things.

Great recap -- makes me feel like I was there.

5G was great for me at the BC game too (Verizon customer here). Only time I couldn't get service was when I tested the WiFi to see if they had changed that.

I'd love to take 500-1 odds on me hitting a half court shot.

By the way... what does that mean exactly? 500 tries to make 1? If so... yeah... sign me up.

I am continuously amazed who they select for these challenges though. Most of the time it seems said person has never held a basketball in their life.

If we play like this against Canisius or Colgate, we will lose.
My first thought was that’s an overreaction, but then I take a step back and realize that could very well happen. I don’t know what’s more disappointing - the lack of cohesion on offense or defense - or the fact that there is no discernible improvement over 3 games.

Really want Red to be the answer but he needs to show that he’s got command of the team. It seems like right now it’s every man for himself.

By the way... what does that mean exactly? 500 tries to make 1? If so... yeah... sign me up.

I am continuously amazed who they select for these challenges though. Most of the time it seems said person has never held a basketball in their life.
By 500-1 I mean the odds you make the one shot you take from half court.

Period.

Yes, your chances are a lot better taking 500 shots in a row.

The way they have that contest set up, I believe they have 30 seconds to make the layup, the foul shot, the 3 pointer and the half court shot.

Maybe one out of 30 times someone makes the first three shots and even has a chance to take a half court shot before the clock expires.

It just isn't fair.

"If you have an iPhone, you will need one of the following models:

Apple's latest lineup, including the iPhone 14, 14 Plus, 14 Pro, 14 Pro Max, SE (2022), the iPhone 13 series, and the iPhone 12 series, all come equipped with 5G as standard. These devices vary in terms of screen size, features, and price, so do some research first and choose a model that meets your needs and budget."

Damn,I have the iPhone 15 pro max...guess I'll have to suck it up and actually watch the whole game.

It was a pretty nice night. Not much wind. Around 50 degrees. Someone went to the game in shorts. No, it was not me.

The crown truss was all lit up in green before the game. Looked pretty. Why green? I don't know. Why not?

At the football game on Friday night, I had a 5G signal for the first time. I am a Spectrum customer, and they get their signal from Verizon. It was very fast and I had no problems accessing the Internet. Was hopeful that would again be the case last night.

And it was. 30 minutes before the game, I was getting over 470 mbps on my phone. At 7:01 pm, as the game was starting, I was still getting 168.51 mbps. Used Speedtest.net for all my tests. This was all running from my wieless connection. Just before the game, it dropped from 5G to LTE but a few minutes later it was back to 5G. And it stayed there the whole game. I tried to bring up the Wofford-UNC game on the ESPN app and it came right up with a clear screen and no buffering or pixilation.

Also ran speedtest.net on my workphone, which uses AT&T. It only had an LTE signal. 4.34 mbps.

I should note that the Wifi at the dome remains awful. Do not connect to that OrangeHotSpot network unless you have no choice. I was getting speeds of around 1 mbps when I was connected to it.

Anyway. I think the 5G Era at the dome has begun. Yay. 5G is really fast but it is a new technology and if you have an older phone, even if you have Verizon as your carrier, you might still be out of luck.

Apple's latest lineup, including the iPhone 14, 14 Plus, 14 Pro, 14 Pro Max, SE (2022), the iPhone 13 series, and the iPhone 12 series, all come equipped with 5G as standard. These devices vary in terms of screen size, features, and price, so do some research first and choose a model that meets your needs and budget.

Small crowd. Very small. Ushers said it was going to be 5K and maybe it was. But there was a lot of silver in the 100 level. The 300 level was better but 'not great Bob!'. Very weqak turnout by the students as well. The cheerleaders, dance team, SSS and Otto were there in full force though.

Chance Westry was standing court side in blue sweats during pregame warmups, No discernable limp, was laughing, looked to be in good shape and good spirts.

Looked around for JB but did not see him larking in a dark corner of a private box. Speaking of private boxes, asked someone standing outside Weitman's old box what the scoop was with it. She said no one has bought it and that it was available for rental on a game by game basis. Asked if I wanted to rent it out? I declined that offer. Should have asked how much it costs per game. WIll try and get that next game.

Clarence Daniels is a really good player. Has a chance to play in the NBA. Smooth, tough, seems to do everything well. Out of Brooklyn Park, just north of Minneapolis.

Maliq Brown showed no signs of problems with his groin but he hurt his back early in the second half and sucked it up to come in and help us get a win. He has great hands and was a disruptive force on defense, especially in the second half. Knocked the ball loose repeatedly. Props to him for playing hurt. Helped get us a win. Naheem was a bad fit trying to cover NH's quick little guys and Pete wasn't up the task defensively either. Mounir Hima was wearing sweats and did not look like he was able to play last night.

Starling looked like he sprained an ankle pretty badly in the second half. Badly enough that he had to go to the locker room to presumably get it re-taped. When that happened, right about 10 minutes into the second half, Red was forced to bring Judah in and play the 2-3 to try and keep Judah, who was very aggressive playing man defense, from fouling out. The zone wasn't great but it was good enough to keep JM in the game and buy time for JJ to come back in.

Quadir again gave quality minutes in few periods of the game. Helped cover Daniels. Was a beast on the boards when we need that badly. Took a couple bad shots and maybe was a bit too aggressive but he can slash, he can make things happen and he always plays hard.

Way too many of our players let themselves get taken deep into the lane on dribble drives. We need to get tougher on defense. We were tough early but as in the exhibition games, we lost a lot of intensity on defense as the game progressed. It is great to see us play with good intensity for sustained periods but it would be better to see us do that for a whole game. The time is coming where we are going to need to see that or we are going to lose games.

Thought the refs really struggled. Lots of questionable calls. Mostly to the benefit of NH.

We have too many mediocre outside shooters taking too many 3s. We had way too many players take bad off balance shots from bad angles. Not nearly as selective with shot selection as we need to be. Need to make that last pass to go from a decent shot to a sure thing. Too willing to settle for a decent shot too often.

Glad we won. If we play like this against Canisius or Colgate, we will lose. UNH had a bunch of open 3s that they missed that other teams will make.

Hope this game was a good learning experience for the team. I am concerned we saw a lot of the same types of mistakes in the exhibition games that we saw here. This stuff needs to get cleaned up now.

The Dunk and Bright promo where someone takes two shots from the bed has reached a new low. They have moved the bed to the foul line. What the heck? A woman took two shots and didn't reach the middle of the paint with either one.

The other promo where someone needs to make a layup, a free throw, a 3 pointer and a half court shot got a lot of boos. The guy doing it made his layup and FT in short order, and I tthink he hit his 3rd 3 point attempt. But they wouldn't let me even take the half court shot. I think you have to give people a chance in these things. What are the odds he is going to make a half court shot? 500-1?

Excited to have 5G. Excited with the team trying to push the ball up the court fast and the attempt to play good man to man defense. I think we pushed it a lot harder when JJ was playing point than with Judah out there and hopefully that changes as Judah gets more in the swing of things.
Agreed. But nothing is worse than trying to punt the football into the truck bed in the air and making it stay there…I hate our promos. And the bed being at the foul line also makes me irate now.

I saw things a little different with offense. We have been shouting for years to up the pace of play and we did and we saw some great things. You cannot judge those exb games as they just were not the real thing. Energy was way different from both teams last night. I would imagine that it was a very emotional, high energy night due to Reds 1st game and 1st game of new year. Those players take on a lot trying to get that first win for him. We may have came out guns a blazing and just used a lot of that emotion and energy. I am sure that adrenaline hurt our shooting last night and contributed to Judah's Foul trouble.

We did run a few nice sets and with good off ball movement. I think Bell and Taylor both got shots from those and a couple isolations at the end from Judah were executed. So there was promise in Reds play calling

Now defensively it was a rough night with keeping guys in front, but we turned them over and that made a difference. Again I think our def suffered once our energy and adrenaline peaked. I need a normal game night to see how we look. What I did like was we got out to shooters early in game and had a few low shot clock possessions on D. Mcleod is going to struggle with undersized skilled posts and Maliq did not look quite right. Just looked like he was pushing thru.

2 things I really liked early was our 2 guards rebounding down with aggression and pushing the ball out. JJ especially went after the ball early. I like our guards rebounding down. Something we lacked in recent years that hindered our transition. I do believe with that major game out of the way we'll see a much more focused team tomorrow for the whole game.

Thanks, Tom. I caught most of the game on spotty ACCNX from a hotel room somewhere in Kentucky on a two-day trip home to NC from a visit with my younger son's family in Michigan. My take was that we need to get a whole lot better.

Thanks, Tom. I caught most of the game on spotty ACCNX from a hotel room somewhere in Kentucky on a two-day trip home to NC from a visit with my younger son's family in Michigan. My take was that we need to get a whole lot better.
Agree. Teams rarely play well their first game and this particular team was really not positioned well to hit the floor running.

New head coach
New offensive style
New defense
Many new players
Some key players hurt
Two key players just back from an injuries
No seniors
3 juniors. 1 just transferred in. 1 didn't play because he was hurt. The third didn't play because he was suspended. Everyone else a sophomore or a frosh. Many of those sophs just transferred into the program or have barely played so far.

Expecting them to play near their potential early is not realistic. This season is going to be a work in progress and hopefully things will come together quickly.

and what would you estimate the average height of the crowd was ?
the wizard of oz dancing GIF

I checked 5g at the game friday as well . when i connected for me it was under 10mb. sluggish at best.
I suspect Tomcat was once again using the visitors hotspot wifi.

Were the Trusses green since we were almost playing the Green Mountain Boys?

My first thought was that’s an overreaction, but then I take a step back and realize that could very well happen. I don’t know what’s more disappointing - the lack of cohesion on offense or defense - or the fact that there is no discernible improvement over 3 games.

Really want Red to be the answer but he needs to show that he’s got command of the team. It seems like right now it’s every man for himself.
Colgate yes...Canisius was 7-20 last yard...I think we can beat them regardless

As far as the Maui err Honolulu Classic. 2-1 is my best case. More likely 1-2.

I saw things a little different with offense. We have been shouting for years to up the pace of play and we did and we saw some great things. You cannot judge those exb games as they just were not the real thing. Energy was way different from both teams last night. I would imagine that it was a very emotional, high energy night due to Reds 1st game and 1st game of new year. Those players take on a lot trying to get that first win for him. We may have came out guns a blazing and just used a lot of that emotion and energy. I am sure that adrenaline hurt our shooting last night and contributed to Judah's Foul trouble.

We did run a few nice sets and with good off ball movement. I think Bell and Taylor both got shots from those and a couple isolations at the end from Judah were executed. So there was promise in Reds play calling

Now defensively it was a rough night with keeping guys in front, but we turned them over and that made a difference. Again I think our def suffered once our energy and adrenaline peaked. I need a normal game night to see how we look. What I did like was we got out to shooters early in game and had a few low shot clock possessions on D. Mcleod is going to struggle with undersized skilled posts and Maliq did not look quite right. Just looked like he was pushing thru.

2 things I really liked early was our 2 guards rebounding down with aggression and pushing the ball out. JJ especially went after the ball early. I like our guards rebounding down. Something we lacked in recent years that hindered our transition. I do believe with that major game out of the way we'll see a much more focused team tomorrow for the whole game.
i also think a bit of it could be trying to win without revealing too much for opponents scouting reports...hopefully they havent unleashed the full offense yet.

I checked 5g at the game friday as well . when i connected for me it was under 10mb. sluggish at best.
I suspect Tomcat was once again using the visitors hotspot wifi.

Were the Trusses green since we were almost playing the Green Mountain Boys?

Tom said he was using 5g.

How tall are you?

The team needs 5G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom