My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Was privileged to watch the game next to BillOrange, who bleeds orange just as much as JW, Nycfan, jdemo (sp?), NewYawker, Metro Mattress Guy or any of the other great SU fans I have sat next to recently. I love the enthusiasm.

Spent part of the afternoon with Lurker Dave. We went to Katz' Deli. Great sandwiches and atmosphere there as always (thanks for the recommendation TorontoCuse). Heartily recommend stopping by if you want a truly New York deli experience. The pastrami is tender, juicy, hot and full of flavor. Great pickles too...you have to respect a place that gives you two kinds of pickles with your sandwich.

Anyway, as we were leaving the deli, we saw a familiar face. It was Vomit Guy, the guy who got vomited on the night before!

He remembered us. I was able to tell him the story of what happened to him. He really wanted to see the video taken by the Marquette fan documenting the legendary spew, and gave me his business card in the hope that we would run into the videographer last night, to get a copy of the video forwarded to him. Alas, Francis Ford Marquette was not back in his seat last night. Worse, I have searched YouTube for the video (I urged him to post it there) but have not been able to find it. Still hoping it finds it's way there eventually. Pretty sure it will be one of those world wide sensations if it does get posted.

We spent some time on the second floor of the Blarney before the game. A little quieter, cleaner and roomy than the ground floor and I like the translucent part of the roof too. Had one my good mojo ginger ale before the game. We have not lost when I have done this. 3 for 3 this year, 8-0 lifetime. I am gonna indulge again today.

When to MSG early. Don't like this new rule where you can't get a soda of more than 16 ounces in the city. A man needs to quench his thirst and needs caffeine too to help get through the late night sessions.

MSG has a lot of interesting options for food with the recent renovations complete. All sorts of fancy sandwiches are available. Gourmet burgers too. Haven't sampled almost any of it as it is expensive and I am quite certain the quality is not very high. But I applaud the variety of choices available. Carrier Dome people, take note. The 1990s are over. Make adjustments accordingly.

On to the game. Was really surprised to see Gtoelwn play mostly man in the first half. I guess that.happens after JS went off like he has been going in the BET, but almost everyone else on the team is better against a man defense than JS is, and honestly, when JS is hot, it doesn't matter much what defense is being played. Really bad decision by JTIii IMHO.

Some random thoughts:

Otto Porter did not have much of a offensive performance, but he was terrific on defense, hounding CJ like he has never been hounded, bloodying him as hard as he could without getting called for a foul. Really overplayed him on the left and forced him to do things he was not comfortable doing. CJ needs to work on his right hand and on going right hard in the off season.

I have been critical of JS' defensive play in the past. Thought he had his best defensive game of his career last night, BMK attacked their guy on the high post all game long (high extreme mobility was a huge asset here) and the Hoya love to go high low in these settings. CJ and JS need to rotate inside with the cutter when this happens to cut off the passing lane. Both did it well but JS was terrific here. Got a lot of steals and deflections and turnovers doing this. BT was also extremely active and aggressive on defense, especially late in the game, when. He knocked the ball loose and caused turnovers a number of times,

BMK was very emotional during the game, as usual. Hugged other guys on the team, was really encouraging, he wanted this one really badly. I think the whole team did. They were fires up from the start of the game. The blowout in DC was fresh on their minds and they wanted revenge.

Lots of bizarre calls both ways. Most games are called tightly most of the way and the refs let a lot go late. This game was tha opposite. Very strange. Glad all the controversial calls did not affect the outcome of the game. Driscoll is the best ref in the conference and unfortunately he can't work Syracuse games.

JB is tight with Governor Christie. Went out of his way to shake his hand and smile at him as he left the court.

UL has the 2nd most fans here. I am impressed with this. Each year they bring another 500 or so extra land with them. Good news for ACC scampers. Bad news for Big East scalpers.

Went to L&B Spumoni Gardens in
Brooklyn for lunch today based on a strong recommendation from CuseRegular. Good call on his part. Unpretentious place with reasonable prices and excellent Italian food. The veal parm was outstanding. I only wish I had room to try some other things there. Easy trip on the subway, one simple transfer. If you like Italian and value your money, this is a great option. Looks really kid friendly as well.

I think we match up pretty well with UL and I think we have a good chance to win this one. Biggest concern is MCW and his ability to play major minutes under 40 minutes of intense pressure after playing 3 days in a row. Don't know how visible it was on tv, but there was a point near the end of the game where MCW was fouled and due to go to the FT line but he was so winded, JB.was forced to call a TOntonlet him recover. I expect BT will help out a lot and probably be the primary guy taking the ball up against the UL pressure.

Should be a great game.

War Damn Otto my friends. WDO!!!!

I have been critical of JS' defensive play in the past. Thought he had his best defensive game of his career last night, BMK attacked their guy on the high post all game long (high extreme mobility was a huge asset here) and the Hoya love to go high low in these settings. CJ and JS need to rotate inside with the cutter when this happens to cut off the passing lane. Both did it well but JS was terrific here. Got a lot of steals and deflections and turnovers doing this. BT was also extremely active and aggressive on defense, especially late in the game, when. He knocked the ball loose and caused turnovers a number of times,

This.

I thought JS was OUTSTANDING in the lanes. My main beef with him (other than on the boards) has been his lollygags around the zone and gets to his spots late. I thought he was the most active Ive seen him.

However, my concerns still remain, in a game he is not hitting shots, how does he react, rebound, play defense. I'm sure we'll see along the next 2,3, hopefully 7 games

If you have time for another good meal today or tomorrow check out The Breslin in the Ace Hotel not too far from MSG. 29th/Broadway. Sort of a gastropub. Awesome space in a very cool hotel. Best lamb burger I have ever had. Great writeup!

Don't know how visible it was on tv, but there was a point near the end of the game where MCW was fouled and due to go to the FT line but he was so winded, JB.was forced to call a TOntonlet him recover.

I did notice, and while I may be wrong, at the time I thought JT III called the TO, and commented,
"He just did us a big favor there".

Matt Park actually said during the pre game that Syracuse spent a lot of extra time in their morning meeting putting in some new wrinkles. Said JB REALLY wanted this game. They made some tweaks in the zone with more man to man principles when Porter got the rock (BMK was much higher in the zone then usual). Also on offense adjustments were made using JS. We ran a lot more screens, and double screens for him catching the ball on the top of the zone, and slipped it a few times with BMK when they over played. His hot shooting has really opened up a lot more for us offensively. We really needed to get teams out of the zone. For those who may have questioned JB's coaching abilities, I think he showed last night he has some tricks up his sleeve, and is a better tactician then most give credit for. I knew once I heard Matt Park relay this we were going to win. The urgency was jumping off the screen

tomcat a judge threw out King Bloomberg's 16 oz. law

umm, L+B.....that's some good eatin. Hope you found room for a slice or two too!

Glad you liked Katz's Tomcat ! I went today for lunch. Had a killer corned beef sandwhich. Didn't want fries (since I was still reeling from the 1am dim sum in china town after the games last night) but when I said "no fries", the waiter said "too ing bad, your sandwich comes with them". Think I've been even less active than Dajuan on this trip to NYC. Despite gaining 5 pounds after the game, I'm pretty sure I lost 6 during the game so I am still ahead. I strongly recommend Nom Wa Tea Parlour if you like Dumplings.

Had 4 hoyas who were much bigger than me chirping me the entire 2nd half last night. Didn't get much support from the people in my section but stood strong and made my presence felt in tasteful fashion. Shook hands after the game, wished them good luck in the tournament (crossed my toes), told them their momma's were hoyas, then told them to enjoy chirping the empty seats in front of them next year. Should feel exactly like a St.John's home game.

On my way to MSG. Last time we played Louisville in the Finals of the BET me and Tomcat sat in the same row. Glad you will be on other end of the building tonight since that didn't go well. Should be an epic evening ! Bitter sweet.

Greensboro just won't be the same next year. Only thing I'm excited about for next year is the potential for a round of golf. Booking my hotel on April 1st since I've heard it's not always easy and they don't take reservations for March 2014 until April 2013.

Was privileged to watch the game next to BillOrange, who bleeds orange just as much as JW, Nycfan, jdemo (sp?), NewYawker, Metro Mattress Guy or any of the other great SU fans I have sat next to recently. I love the enthusiasm.

Spent part of the afternoon with Lurker Dave. We went to Katz' Deli. Great sandwiches and atmosphere there as always (thanks for the recommendation TorontoCuse). Heartily recommend stopping by if you want a truly New York deli experience. The pastrami is tender, juicy, hot and full of flavor. Great pickles too...you have to respect a place that gives you two kinds of pickles with your sandwich.

Anyway, as we were leaving the deli, we saw a familiar face. It was Vomit Guy, the guy who got vomited on the night before!

He remembered us. I was able to tell him the story of what happened to him. He really wanted to see the video taken by the Marquette fan documenting the legendary spew, and gave me his business card in the hope that we would run into the videographer last night, to get a copy of the video forwarded to him. Alas, Francis Ford Marquette was not back in his seat last night. Worse, I have searched YouTube for the video (I urged him to post it there) but have not been able to find it. Still hoping it finds it's way there eventually. Pretty sure it will be one of those world wide sensations if it does get posted.

We spent some time on the second floor of the Blarney before the game. A little quieter, cleaner and roomy than the ground floor and I like the translucent part of the roof too. Had one my good mojo ginger ale before the game. We have not lost when I have done this. 3 for 3 this year, 8-0 lifetime. I am gonna indulge again today.

When to MSG early. Don't like this new rule where you can't get a soda of more than 16 ounces in the city. A man needs to quench his thirst and needs caffeine too to help get through the late night sessions.

MSG has a lot of interesting options for food with the recent renovations complete. All sorts of fancy sandwiches are available. Gourmet burgers too. Haven't sampled almost any of it as it is expensive and I am quite certain the quality is not very high. But I applaud the variety of choices available. Carrier Dome people, take note. The 1990s are over. Make adjustments accordingly.

On to the game. Was really surprised to see Gtoelwn play mostly man in the first half. I guess that.happens after JS went off like he has been going in the BET, but almost everyone else on the team is better against a man defense than JS is, and honestly, when JS is hot, it doesn't matter much what defense is being played. Really bad decision by JTIii IMHO.

Some random thoughts:

Otto Porter did not have much of a offensive performance, but he was terrific on defense, hounding CJ like he has never been hounded, bloodying him as hard as he could without getting called for a foul. Really overplayed him on the left and forced him to do things he was not comfortable doing. CJ needs to work on his right hand and on going right hard in the off season.

BMK was very emotional during the game, as usual. Hugged other guys on the team, was really encouraging, he wanted this one really badly. I think the whole team did. They were fires up from the start of the game. The blowout in DC was fresh on their minds and they wanted revenge.

Lots of bizarre calls both ways. Most games are called tightly most of the way and the refs let a lot go late. This game was tha opposite. Very strange. Glad all the controversial calls did not affect the outcome of the game. Driscoll is the best ref in the conference and unfortunately he can't work Syracuse games.

JB is tight with Governor Christie. Went out of his way to shake his hand and smile at him as he left the court.

UL has the 2nd most fans here. I am impressed with this. Each year they bring another 500 or so extra land with them. Good news for ACC scampers. Bad news for Big East scalpers.

Went to L&B Spumoni Gardens in
Brooklyn for lunch today based on a strong recommendation from CuseRegular. Good call on his part. Unpretentious place with reasonable prices and excellent Italian food. The veal parm was outstanding. I only wish I had room to try some other things there. Easy trip on the subway, one simple transfer. If you like Italian and value your money, this is a great option. Looks really kid friendly as well.

I think we match up pretty well with UL and I think we have a good chance to win this one. Biggest concern is MCW and his ability to play major minutes under 40 minutes of intense pressure after playing 3 days in a row. Don't know how visible it was on tv, but there was a point near the end of the game where MCW was fouled and due to go to the FT line but he was so winded, JB.was forced to call a TOntonlet him recover. I expect BT will help out a lot and probably be the primary guy taking the ball up against the UL pressure.

Should be a great game.

War Damn Otto my friends. WDO!!!!

Rob was standing up so much, I was tempeted to say down in front, and I wasn't even there.

Matt Park actually said during the pre game that Syracuse spent a lot of extra time in their morning meeting putting in some new wrinkles. Said JB REALLY wanted this game. They made some tweaks in the zone with more man to man principles when Porter got the rock (BMK was much higher in the zone then usual). Also on offense adjustments were made using JS. We ran a lot more screens, and double screens for him catching the ball on the top of the zone, and slipped it a few times with BMK when they over played. His hot shooting has really opened up a lot more for us offensively. We really needed to get teams out of the zone. For those who may have questioned JB's coaching abilities, I think he showed last night he has some tricks up his sleeve, and is a better tactician then most give credit for. I knew once I heard Matt Park relay this we were going to win. The urgency was jumping off the screen

You mean the horrible job Keita did hedging off the baseline? Some people thought he was freelancing on his own in the biggest game of the year.

Silly people.

Glad you liked Katz's Tomcat ! I went today for lunch. Had a killer corned beef sandwhich. Didn't want fries (since I was still reeling from the 1am dim sum in china town after the games last night) but when I said "no fries", the waiter said "too bad, your sandwich comes with them". Think I've been even less active than Dajuan on this trip to NYC. Despite gaining 5 pounds after the game, I'm pretty sure I lost 6 during the game so I am still ahead. I strongly recommend Nom Wa Tea Parlour if you like Dumplings.

Had 4 hoyas who were much bigger than me chirping me the entire 2nd half last night. Didn't get much support from the people in my section but stood strong and made my presence felt in tasteful fashion. Shook hands after the game, wished them good luck in the tournament (crossed my toes), told them their momma's were hoyas, then told them to enjoy chirping the empty seats in front of them next year. Should feel exactly like a St.John's home game.

On my way to MSG. Last time we played Louisville in the Finals of the BET me and Tomcat sat in the same row. Glad you will be on other end of the building tonight since that didn't go well. Should be an epic evening ! Bitter sweet.

Greensboro just won't be the same next year. Only thing I'm excited about for next year is the potential for a round of golf. Booking my hotel on April 1st since I've heard it's not always easy and they don't take reservations for March 2014 until April 2013.
Good thought...I gotta do the same thing...

Great that you went to L&B - always worth the trip out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom