My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Sat in the best seats in the house courtesy of cto (thanks much Joyce). As always, it is startling to see how violent and physical this game is at close range.

Excellent job by the woman who did the NA. I think she was.is a teacher in the CNS district and a singer in a band. Continued to be impressed by all the vocal talent on the CNY area.

With the SSS distributed over much of the Eastern US, the Baldwinsville HS band filled in. They did a fine job...had a couple numbers the SSS does not normally play and did a more than capable version of Down the Field. I then they brought 4 tubas, lots of brass in the house; more than the SSS has.

Pretty good crowd given no students in the house and all the people doing late shopping tonight. They made some noise early in the second half that might have helped to break the game open.

Thiought High Point did a fine job. They executed well, shot the ball great and for a long time had that '86 Nova perfect game vibe going.

JB helped the cause a bit playing Roberson quite a bit in the first half. Also left TE out for an unusually long time in the 1st half. TR unfortunately didn't take advantage of the playing time and might have lost a chance to break into the rotation. More on that later.

The team played much better in the second half. Got into transition, got some steals, made some 3s Nd actually played some quality defense for a while.

TE and TC both played well, especially on offense. Good to see Tyler pass the ball so well; he was very unselfish. Good to see TC shoot it so well too. High Point did a really poor job guarding him.

CJ looked solid, made some nice mid range jumpers and rebounded it well. RC continues to be more aggressive trying to get the ball down low. BMK made his usual assortment of excellent plays on the floor and DC 2 had a few good moments too.

JG injured his ankle about 35 feet from me. Glad to see him walk it off, hope he will be okay for Nova. He was in a lot of pain. High Point let him shoot jumpers and this was for the most part successful.

The two players who talk the most on the court are BMK, who is constantly calling out instructions to the rest of the team as he plays defense, and TE, who quietly calls out plays as he runs the half court offense. He is in complete control here, which is kind of unusual for a true frosh, but then again, TE is a kind of unusual guy.

What else? BMK does a lot of talking on the bench, mostly with the frosh, always very encouraging. Always is the first guy off the bench to greet the players coming off the court after a break in play. The dude is a very positive force. CJ does some of this as well, but in his quieter, more under stated way.

Impressed with Cherry who did a fine job scouting SU and had his team do a great job executing a masterful gameplan.

JB got the ball in the paint a lot in the second half, got High Point in some foul trouble and got a lot of quality shots. But most of all, he got the defense to tighten up a bit and more with more intensity in the 2nd half.

Thanks again JEH. War Damb Otto. And best wishes to all for a great holiday season.

Watching the second half on espn3 (missed the first half due to another commitment), I thought BMK made a huge difference with his hustle and all around play. In 19 minutes, he had 7 pts on 3/4 shooting and 1/1 from the line, 4 boards, two steals and one block. That one play under the High Point basket where he dived for the ball on the floor... and somehow got it in a tangle of arms and legs was classic. I turned on the game when we were trailing 39-40. Immediately, Baye's hustle helped to turn it around.

DC3 doesn't need a baby hook. He should be able to grab the ball, carve up space, and either dunk it or put it in. Unfortunately, he can't do that. Thank god for BMK showing some offense tonight, and Rak's continuing improvement.

Watching the second half on espn3 (missed the first half due to another commitment), I thought BMK made a huge difference with his hustle and all around play. In 19 minutes, he had 7 pts on 3/4 shooting and 1/1 from the line, 4 boards, two steals and one block. That one play under the High Point basket where he dived for the ball on the floor... and somehow got it in a tangle of arms and legs was classic. I turned on the game when we were trailing 39-40. Immediately, Baye's hustle helped to turn it around.

Agree. Baye had not been very productive in recent games and he really played well tonight. A very good sign. I love Tomcat's tidbits about how vocal he is, (similar to Craig Forth) and had how encouraging he is to the freshmen. A real asset to the program, way beyond the stats.

Agree. Baye had not been very productive in recent games and he really played well tonight. A very good sign. I love Tomcat's tidbits about how vocal he is, (similar to Craig Forth) and had how encouraging he is to the freshmen. A real asset to the program, way beyond the stats.
A great kid.

Coleman was injured. He was limping in the layup lines and jumping off of only one foot in practice. I was surprised he played at all.

If DC3 had a few good moments please tell me what they were. BMK out played him again. That baby hook that BMK was sweet. Why can't DC2 do it???

Elevation.

Not a great outing for Mr. Coleman. Baye looked really good.

The two players who talk the most on the court are BMK, who is constantly calling out instructions to the rest of the team as he plays defense, and TE, who quietly calls out plays as he runs the half court offense. He is in complete control here, which is kind of unusual for a true frosh, but then again, TE is a kind of unusual guy.

What else? BMK does a lot of talking on the bench, mostly with the frosh, always very encouraging. Always is the first guy off the bench to greet the players coming off the court after a break in play. The dude is a very positive force.

Mike Hopkins' future big man coach?

It's a good thing you turned on the game when you did or else we could have been in real trouble.

Coleman was injured. He was limping in the layup lines and jumping off of only one foot in practice. I was surprised he played at all.

I certainly hope that is not true. Or it is something minor. These big men seem so injury prone. I think they ask their bodies to do too much!

And that won't be the last time he quietly helps turn a game.

And that won't be the last time he quietly helps turn a game.
Yup. Amazing that some folks have already counted out Keita. Ah, they'll come around. They always do.
gtowncuseweb16s-d6t-web.jpg

It's a good thing you turned on the game when you did or else we could have been in real trouble.

Maybe if she turned it on earlier we could have seen the walk on's score!

Yup. Amazing that some folks have already counted out Keita. Ah, they'll come around. They always do.

He has his moment's and it seems that the 3 big men offer something different and gives Boeheim a little plug and play to see how this one fits type of coaching. My daughter bought a #12 jersey when Baye was a freshman and everybody thought it was because of Nassib but it wasn't...it was this man aboves #.

He has his moment's and it seems that the 3 big men offer something different and gives Boeheim a little plug and play to see how this one fits type of coaching. My daughter bought a #12 jersey when Baye was a freshman and everybody thought it was because of Nassib but it wasn't...it was this man aboves #.
This forum is still missing a "love" button.

It's a "you're only as good as your last 10 minutes of play" world now.

JB needs to recruit over Coleman before the whole program comes tumbling down. Cooney needs to start working on his HoF speech.

Some folks here only understand box scores, highlight plays or, worse yet, what the color commentators choose to emphasize/talk about. Those that understand the game a little deeper understand the importance of what Keita brings to the team, even when he is not in the game.

Sat in the best seats in the house courtesy of cto (thanks much Joyce). As always, it is startling to see how violent and physical this game is at close range.

Good to see TC shoot it so well too. High Point did a really poor job guarding him.

CJ looked solid, made some nice mid range jumpers and rebounded it well. RC continues to be more aggressive trying to get the ball down low. BMK made his usual assortment of excellent plays on the floor and DC 2 had a few good moments too.

What else? BMK does a lot of talking on the bench, mostly with the frosh, always very encouraging. Always is the first guy off the bench to greet the players coming off the court after a break in play. The dude is a very positive force. CJ does some of this as well, but in his quieter, more under stated way.
Sat in the best seats in the house courtesy of cto (thanks much Joyce). As always, it is startling to see how violent and physical this game is at close range. quote]

Tom: I tried to see who was in "the seats" last night but did not have quite good enough an angle. If I had seen you, would have hung just before you returned for the second half to say hello.

TC was guarded VERY closely for much of the night. HP made a handful of mistakes that left him open, and he NAILED them for it. I suspect he will be guarded that way for the rest of his career. JB needs to design some plays with that in mind, both to free him up and to let others take advantage of it.

CJ got back in the track in the second half. The game was close at halftime because he was missing his usual gimmees. Glad he came around.

BMK is the best promoter of SU basketball I have ever seen. He is so full of energy, smiling and friendly. Before the game, he was insisting that spectators come to the edge of the court for photos with him. Calling defensive instructions reminds me of Craig Forth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom