My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Decent sized crowd. I'm not sure what they announced for the attendance, but I would guess there were at least 20 K actually there. Not bad at all without the students there.

The national anthem was sung by a local a cappella group, who did a nice job. Interesting arrangement.

I for one was quite impressed by Long Beach State. They had a bunch of good athletes, played without fear, and I thought they shot the ball really well for most of the game. On their medium manus jumpers and inside chances anyway. Their long-range shooting? Not so good. No real surprise there, clearly JB schemed to take away the three point shot from them from the start. He completely lost it when Joseph left someone open early in the game and then again when Buss came in to replace Joseph and did the same thing. Syracuse never really played Long Beach State well in their half-court defense. This was a weird game where Syracuse actually won by outscoring the 49ers. That used to happen a lot years ago but not much recently. Syracuse was actually behind 14 to 4 early before putting on the press and creating a complete meltdown for Long Beach State. The 49ers did not handle press well, turnover after turnover ensued, and soon Syracuse had control of the game.

I think had the 49ers played even decent defense, they might well who won the game. I'm not really sure what they were trying to do on defense. Clearly they were trying to take away Christma,s who was doubled most of the game and sometimes tripled. It looked like they were at least trying to cover Cooney, but they really didn't bother to try and cover anyone else on the team. That includes silent G, who had a huge game, greatly aided by the complete lack of interest in Long Beach State had for his presence on the court.

Uneven game for Joseph, who had a very weak first half, and a very impressive second half. He did not have a big game scoring, but his turnovers were down markedly and He continues to do a better job finding the open man. His assists are up markedly from early in the season.. His assistant turnover ratio continues to.improve; I believe today he had seven assists and only two turnovers. There may be hope for the live free or die kid.

If there was any remaining doubt, it should be gone now. Chris McCullough in a major slump. I thought he played okay today, but he is amazingly you susceptible to lose in the bar in the paint, he is not rebounding, and his defense, if anything, maybe getting worse. If JB played them in the second half, it was only for a token minute or two. He better start focusing on the fence or she is going to end up with a primary role as a backup center.

Tyler Roberson on the other hand, continues to make slow but steady progress. When he has an opening on offense, he is taking advantage pretty consistently. I love the way he finishes on the fast break. That great lead pass Joseph made to him was very impressive, but I was even more impressed by Tyler's ability to catch that ball and then make a definite love to converted into an easy layup. I think a big key for him, is him setting up closer to the low post these days. The closer he is to the basket when he gets the ball, the more successful he's going to be. Good to see a young player improving.

I thought Cooney had another big game, especially in the first half when he was needed the most. He is the emotional core of the team, and when he is on, the team is on. He had a couple of uncharacteristic turnovers today, but he's playing with extreme aggression on offense, and he is hitting his outside shots consistently. When that happens, Syracuse has a chance to beat most anyone.

Yawn, Ho-hum. Another terrific game from Christmas. Despite being double teamed also the game, he's finding ways to get the ball and when he gets the ball, he's finishing consistently. Strong a lot of files, and his presence on the court crates many openings for his teammates to score. Perhaps best of all, he is getting much better at finding the open man when he gets doubled, as excellent passing has been a key to the improvement Syracuse has shown in it's half-court offense in recent games. Good to see him doing some damage on the offensive boards as well.

Good to see silent to playing so well. This team desperately needs a third go to guy. Silent G has the best chance to develop into that role. Yes Long Beach State did not cover and for most of the game. Still, he shutting off from the outside, he is slashing to the basket with good success, he is rebounding while, and perhaps best of all, he is passing the ball real well. Lots of assists today.

Perhaps the most encouraging thing I am seeing right now is a market improvement and I don't ability to score in the half-court offense. It's good to see this team so I'm gonna capable on offense. Tacos two games in a row! Who would've thought that possible?

"If there was any remaining doubt, it should be gone now. Chris McCullough in a major slump. I thought he played okay today, but he is amazingly you susceptible to lose in the bar in the paint, he is not rebounding, and his defense, if anything, maybe getting worse. If JB played them in the second half, it was only for a token minute or two. He better start focusing on the fence or she is going to end up with a primary role as a backup center."

A great "My Take" as always. But I must admit I have no idea what this paragraph says, beyond "Chris McCullough is in a major slump."

"The national anthem was sung by a local a cappella group, who did a nice job. Interesting arrangement."

i recently ate at the local ristorante JOE MINGA'S. i ordered the pasta a cappella.
they served me a plate of plain noodles. no sauce. next time i order the arpeggio !

Like Tyler on the fast break I plan on making "definite love" to my wife tonight.

Great take but that cracked me up.

Tom, love your posts for their content... but I also love trying to decipher some of the amazing things written by your dictation system. I think I got them all tonight... except for Rak and "strong a lot of files." What, pray tell, did you say there?

PS: I cannot believe this was my 3,333rd post. It should have been about GMac!

Last edited:
Tom's post remembers me of my german colleagues who are ~90% fluent in english: every other sentence has a grammatical mistake or they use the wrong verb tense, or they misuse a preposition. At first, your mind just says 'wrong', but every now and then, the mistake introduces you to a new possibility of expressing yourself in english. Now I know Tom's post is the result of some computer autocorrect function, so I not blaming him, as I know he is at least 95% fluent and we can't expect him to know all this computer crap.

Tom, love your posts for their content... but I also love trying to decipher some of the amazing things written by your dictation system. I think I got them all tonight... except for Rak and "strong a lot of files." What, pray tell, did you say there?

I guessed the files should have been fouls, but the context was still unclear.

Tom's post remembers me of my german colleagues who are ~90% fluent in english: every other sentence has a grammatical mistake or they use the wrong verb tense, or they misuse a preposition. At first, your mind just says 'wrong', but every now and then, the mistake introduces you to a new possibility of expressing yourself in english. Now I know Tom's post is the result of some computer autocorrect function, so I not blaming him, as I know he is at least 95% fluent and we can't expect him to know all this computer crap.

Pretty sure Tom has told us he's using some kind of dictation software. Like Joyce, hymen joying the Thai pose and hill arias computer misinterpretations.

Thanks for the summaries/analyses, Tom! Key pus Poe stead on the numb burr of two buzz.

Perhaps the most encouraging thing I am seeing right now is a market improvement and I don't ability to score in the half-court offense. It's good to see this team so I'm gonna capable on offense. Tacos two games in a row! Who would've thought that possible?

Game analysis along with market predictions. It is amazing how much value Tom packs into these posts?

Andy for won hopes she never goes back to typing his post on a compactor.

Perhaps the most encouraging thing I am seeing right now is a market improvement and I don't ability to score in the half-court offense. It's good to see this team so I'm gonna capable on offense.

'My Take' is my favorite post on this board. It's knowledgeable, informative, has a generous spirit, and is well written with good humor. It is only improved by the malapropisms like the above.

"The national anthem was sung by a local a cappella group, who did a nice job. Interesting arrangement."

i recently ate at the local ristorante JOE MINGA'S. i ordered the pasta a cappella.
they served me a plate of plain noodles. no sauce. next time i order the arpeggio !

They sang very well, considering they didn't have their caps on.

'My Take' is my favorite post on this board. It's knowledgeable, informative, has a generous spirit, and is well written with good humor. It is only improved by the malapropisms like the above.

I have a feeling Tom doesn't find them quite as amusing as we do.

They sang very well, considering they didn't have their caps on.
I'm surprised that neither Tom, nor anyone else, mentioned the halftime entertainment. Then one came back and "ate" his buddy during a 2nd half timeout. Those guys did a nice job. Would like to see more of that instead of the same old stuff. Keep the fans entertained in their seats including having vendors come around selling some food and drinks.

I'm surprised that neither Tom, nor anyone else, mentioned the halftime entertainment. Then one came back and "ate" his buddy during a 2nd half timeout. Those guys did a nice job. Would like to see more of that instead of the same old stuff. Keep the fans entertained in their seats including having vendors come around selling some food and drinks.

My favorite: Donovan McCrab

The man-eating fish: Mackeral Jordan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom