My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
When you are a season ticket holder, you get a big book full of tickets before the season begins. There are around 20 games. When you have a few seasons, it seems like an almost infinite supply. Like the season will never end...

But each year it does, and when I extracted the tickets for the UL game, just two more sets of tickets looked back to me from my now near empty ticket book. The sadness felt with the ending of the season is only heightened due to the inspired play by our one senior and the announcement of the self imposed ban on post season play.

I didn't go to the game. Had some work being done on my house and had to be there for that. But I made sure my tickets were used and watched at home with great interest. Don't have much time but here are some thoughts...

This was a game like so many others this season against a good opponent. SU played well in spots but had enough bad stretches that it was behind most of the first half and ended up being fortunate to only trail by 4 at the half. The defense, which has normally been relatively good in the first half and bad in the second, was quite bad in the first, which set off a number of alert bells in the back of my head. Trev is decent at using his body to prevent someone from beating him off the dribble and getting into the lane. Kaleb really struggles here. When we let players routinely get into the paint, the zone has been breached and points or defensive fouls, maybe both are sure to ensue.

For one of the first times this season, the team shored up the zone in the second half and did a much better job keeping the UL guards out of the paint. SU was definitely helped by some poor outside shooting by the Cards, who are not a good outside shooting team by any means, as well as by some bad FT shooting, but there were long stretches of play when the Cards struggled to even get a shot off. Was really impressed by the intensity of the SU zone in that second half. Yes, UL had foul trouble and players with issues that prevented them from playing and it hurt them but hey, SU has had more than its share of key players out so it is hard to have sympathy for Louisville.

Looks like AO Junior is going to be a good one. You can see why SU didn't recruit him...he isn't particularly quick or athletic, more of a big body who plays the game below the hoop. But AO didn't have much to work with except strength and he managed to become one of the top centers in the country by the time he was a senior. This kid should have a good career.

I thought the biggest play of the game was made in the second half. Harrell got the ball on the high post, beat Rak to the hoop and threw up a bunny for an easy two. Except Christmas never gave up on the play, stayed on Mr Headband like white on rice and shocked him with a perfectly timed jump and block. After that, Harrell didn't do a lot and Rak continued to own him down low. 9 of 10 form the field and 11 of 13 from the FT line. Pretty darned efficient game for RC.

For much of his career, teams have been overplaying Silent G for the pass, leaving him open to take shots to double down on players in the paint. With his recent explosion of points, that is changing. He is getting covered tighter and has become much more of a focus on defenses. That might hurt his scoring a little but to his credit, as he gets more attention, he is seeing more chances to get the ball to a big down low and he is taking advantage. Had a number of really nice looks to our bigs. Was only credited with 6 assists, but that number is artifically low, as a number of the fouls our bigs drew were a direct result of Silent G getting them the ball in a great place. Also really nice seeing Mike make some key FTs. He is going to get a lot of them for the rest of his career here and it is important he improves his FT percentage from this point forward.

Really good seeing Roberson and Joseph playing well down the stretch of the season. Joseph only scored 6 but 4 of them were really important. I like his confidence (though at times it has been more of a bad thing than a good thing; confidence is great when combined with good judgement).

TC had a lot of good looks but was way off almost all game. Normally when he misses, it is only off by a tad but he is a mess right now. I guess the confidence level is not where it needs to be. Glad to see him realize it was not his day and focus on defense and passing in the second half. His floor game was very good.

Always nice to see JB beat Pitino. Would love to see him get another win over Dixon on Saturday. I think it is going to happen. Really like how the team is playing now...

Amen--can't wait to pay Pitt back for that loss two weeks ago.

There was a play in the second half of that game burned into my memory that drove me nuts, and epitomizes how dirty Pitt plays.. Rak got the ball about 10 feet from the basket and makes his move to turn and face the basket with a Pitt guy draped all over him--no call. He forces up a mid range jumper and gets hammered--no call. Roberson goes up for the offensive rebound but gets held / literally dragged down and pushed to the ground by a Pitt player--no call. They corral the missed shot and start the fast break, now playing 5 on 4, and get the run out for an easy score.

Meanwhile, there was a ref on our baseline two feet away from Roberson who was staring at him as he got held from jumping and then pushed down, which precipitated a four point swing.

Pitt ain't getting those type of favorable calls in our building.

Nice write up, Tom!

I didn't go to the game. Had some work being done on my house and had to be there for that. But I made sure my tickets were used and watched at home with great interest. Don't have much time but here are some thoughts...

So you sent those kids wearing the Duke and Kentucky T-shirts....Oh Lord

My tickets were used by the 90-year-old mother of a friend of mine.

After the game, she said: "Well, that sure was fun. And I had thought my most exciting days were over."

Last edited:
Amen--can't wait to pay Pitt back for that loss two weeks ago.

There was a play in the second half of that game burned into my memory that drove me nuts, and epitomizes how dirty Pitt plays.. Rak got the ball about 10 feet from the basket and makes his move to turn and face the basket with a Pitt guy draped all over him--no call. He forces up a mid range jumper and gets hammered--no call. Roberson goes up for the offensive rebound but gets held / literally dragged down and pushed to the ground by a Pitt player--no call. They corral the missed shot and start the fast break, now playing 5 on 4, and get the run out for an easy score.

Meanwhile, there was a ref on our baseline two feet away from Roberson who was staring at him as he got held from jumping and then pushed down, which precipitated a four point swing.

Pitt ain't getting those type of favorable calls in our building.

Nice write up, Tom!

Haven't seen anyone mention the refs letting the boys play last night. Seemed like a good old fashioned Big East game out there, and many of the no-calls were favorable to SU. I like to see basketball like that. Reminds me how much I miss the old days.

Now, let's see if we can get another favorable one against another former BE rival.

Should I assume that your tickets were used by SU fans or did you sell them to L'ville fans? ;)
My brother and the two daughters that went with him are orange to the core!

If I had a UL fan for a brother, well, he would be dead, I would be in jail and probably wouldn't post nearly as much.

Haven't seen anyone mention the refs letting the boys play last night. Seemed like a good old fashioned Big East game out there, and many of the no-calls were favorable to SU. I like to see basketball like that. Reminds me how much I miss the old days.

Now, let's see if we can get another favorable one against another former BE rival.

I loved the refereeing last night, I wonder if Louisville fans feel the same way today?

I loved the refereeing last night, I wonder if Louisville fans feel the same way today?

I thought the same thing. Odd that there were no threads here talking about the terrible refereeing that seemed to favor us slightly.

"For much of his career, teams have been overplaying Silent G for the pass, leaving him open to take shots to double down on players in the paint. With his recent explosion of points, that is changing. He is getting covered tighter and has become much more of a focus on defenses. "

I've been wondering what will happen if/when Silent G starts getting Cooney type of defense instead of Cooney. Somebody in his uni all game. This could be a problem because G does more than score and oft times is the point man. Well good thing there are only 5 more games to see.

I have mixed feelings about "letting them play." I like it when big men can scrap for position, but I think that the hand checking of the guards has hurt the flow of the college game. I also cannot stand the moving screens that Pitt sets at the top of the key. I was shocked to see a foul on a pick last night. I don't think that it was that clear of a foul but I liked that they called it just to prevent future moving screens.

I said it last night and I'll say it again, I think that we got the better end of the calls last night. Other than the hip check on Roberson, I can't complain about anything and I think that we got away with a few.

Good to have you back, Tom!

Gbinije really passed the ball well last night. He's got much better vision than I initially gave him credit for.

If I had a UL fan for a brother, well, he would be dead, I would be in jail and probably wouldn't post nearly as much.
So glad to read your write up, Tom, even though you weren't at the game! I must tell you, I have Louisville cousins (as many know, since I bring them up constantly) and two of them were supposed to be here for the game. Plans were made months ago. Then two weeks ago Gary had a heart attack, and all of our plans went to hell. These Ville fans are passionate about their Cards but are also fans of Syracuse and support us when we don't play each other. It is a wonderful thing to have rivals in the family and see how compassionate and classy we can be before, during, and after games.

If your mythical brother were for some weird reason a mythical Louisville fan, I bet love would triumph over rivalry!

So glad to read your write up, Tom, even though you weren't at the game! I must tell you, I have Louisville cousins (as many know, since I bring them up constantly) and two of them were supposed to be here for the game. Plans were made months ago. Then two weeks ago Gary had a heart attack, and all of our plans went to hell. These Ville fans are passionate about their Cards but are also fans of Syracuse and support us when we don't play each other. It is a wonderful thing to have rivals in the family and see how compassionate and classy we can be before, during, and after games.

If your mythical brother were for some weird reason a mythical Louisville fan, I bet love would triumph over rivalry!
Probably. As long as he wasn't a Hoya fan...

So I guess you won't be murdering your husband any time soon either, or for that matter yourself!!! Oh yea, and your son also. You have such a long ACC pedigree there missy, lol. Boy your family really has this conference covered.

My tickets were used by the 90-year-old mother of a friend of mine.

After the game, she said: "Well, that sure was fun. And I had thought my most exciting days were over."

There was a 90 year old woman sitting relatively close to me. She kinda pushed her way in front of me in line when we were filing out. At first I was annoyed then I realized how old she was and was sorta impressed.

There was a 90 year old woman sitting relatively close to me. She kinda pushed her way in front of me in line when we were filing out. At first I was annoyed then I realized how old she was and was sorta impressed.
I don't think that was TD Curtin. TD is tiny and weighs about 90 lbs. I doubt she could push her way in front of a canary.

She may, however, hold the current record for "longest time as an SU fan." In the early-mid 1940's, while a student at SU, she worked as an assistant to then SU AD Lew Andreas. Along the way she became very close friends with the Schwartzwalder family and indeed was Reggie S's best friend when Reggie died a few years ago.

Last edited:
I don't think that was TD Curtin. TD is tiny and weighs about 90 lbs. I doubt she could push her way in front of a canary.

She may, however, hold the current record for "longest time as an SU fan." In the early-mid 1940's, while a student at SU, she worked as an assistant to then SU AD Lew Andreas. Along the way she became very close friends with the Schwartzwalder family and indeed was Reggie S's best friend when Reggie died a few years ago.

She didn't actually "push", she was just aggressive -- much more aggressive than you would expect a 90 old to be.

She didn't actually "push", she was just aggressive -- much more aggressive than you would expect a 90 old to be.
She was sitting court side, directly across from the SU bench where JB was standing. Were you near there?

She was sitting court side, directly across from the SU bench where JB was standing. Were you near there?

I wish my seats were that good! It's cool that there were so many 90 year old ladies at last nights game.

When you are a season ticket holder, you get a big book full of tickets before the season begins. There are around 20 games. When you have a few seasons, it seems like an almost infinite supply. Like the season will never end...

But each year it does, and when I extracted the tickets for the UL game, just two more sets of tickets looked back to me from my now near empty ticket book. The sadness felt with the ending of the season is only heightened due to the inspired play by our one senior and the announcement of the self imposed ban on post season play.
You are so right about this. I always hate seeing the supply getting smaller and smaller but at least I can usually lessen the withdrawal by getting NCAA tickets. Oh well.

Yeah, but you'd be out of the joint in plenty of time to still enjoy your tickets in your later years. And your time in the can would be spent wearing Orange.

Kinda like how my old man says if he'd killed me when he wanted to in my teenage years, he'd be out by now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom