My thoughts on the upcoming season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My thoughts on the upcoming season

I actually have a tough time seeing this season as just an exhibition season. We are playing teams that are projected to be tops in our conference. I have never seen such a slate of games in all my time cheering for SU (over 2 decades).

Let's say (just for giggles) we beat NC, Pitt, ND, and Lousiville, then mix in LU, BC, and Wake. That's some good water cooler talk right there. We'd be on a jet plane to 2021

My contention with this season is if it happens, what is the end game? Feel like it's a season to play but don't feel like it's a season where any team can achieve and reach lofty goals.

If we lose every game this year or go .500 i'm not going to lose much sleep over it. If we go undefeated it'll be written off as a fluke year.

This is exactly why it’s a fun season! A perfect scapegoat if we suck. A twinkle of optimism if we don’t. No expectations, no disappointment! For most of us the worst part of the last 20 years is watching them struggle. Now, during a global pandemic under the worst leadership in our nations history, our sports team plays with zero expectations. If they go 0 for, it’s still not the worst thing about 2020!!!

(And we have a much needed shot in the arm with a new building that will most likely be officially christened with a full house in the 2021 season)

It's hard to get excited over new wallpaper in a room that has been badly damaged by fire.
Still looking forward to the season. All the rumored injuries and opt outs, the loss of my season tickets and ability to tailgate and attend games in person, and the screwed up schedule we were handed are not making me feel filled with hope. But I am bored without so many sports, and would love to see some games. Even if they are unable to finish the season.

Be honest -- if we win a couple of the early games, people here will change their minds in a hurry.
Haha, seriously! I bet it will change morning of the game. Couple beers, some chicken wing dip, couple more beers, some rye boat, couple more beers, then air your grievances on the forum. Perfect little Saturday.

Watching the kids and hanging with the wife gets sprinkled in as well.

Be honest -- if we win a couple of the early games, people here will change their minds in a hurry.
The "if" game! Anyone can play it and everyone can enjoy it. Join in now and make reality and truth easier to accept. The "if" game by Hasbro!

Haha, seriously! I bet it will change morning of the game. Couple beers, some chicken wing dip, couple more beers, some rye boat, couple more beers, then air your grievances on the forum. Perfect little Saturday.

Watching the kids and hanging with the wife gets sprinkled in as well.
You just made me google "rye boat" and it sounds pretty good. Can't wait to give it a try.

I finally pinched myself now that the games have times the season is a reality I was not going to get excited I was waiting for the next plug to be pulled . Except for no fans and tailgates this is a huge huge win for us ! To work on our systems and have everyone eligible again is awesome! We will get more benefits than most teams will . One week at a time 1 game at a time let’s FN gooooooo

I'm discouraged by the state of the world, how our schedule got unfavorably made more difficult, etc. -- because this is an important year to get things back on track.

But I LOVE Syracuse University football, and I look forward to watching them no matter what. If I could get trough the GERG years, I can certainly get through this.

Agree!
You guys are bordering on some really socially dark stuff here:
'You aren't from this neighborhood, are you'
'We don't like you, You don't think like us'
'You shouldn't be here because you don't say what we like'
'Make sure you conform to our ideas and only post what we like or we'll give you a hard time'
'Make sure you only post positive things or we'll delete your posts'

'Make sure you conform to our ideas and only post what we like or we'll give you a hard time'

no that's not it at all. but for something that clearly makes you so miserable I wondered why you subject yourself to such misery. if being negative about everything is your thing, have at it. most people wouldn't hang out in the morgue for fun.

it's amusing that you poke fun at someone for saying "if" this happens or that happens and then get your panties in a wad because someone calls you out. It's my right to be negative. You sound like a baby.

Last edited:
Agree...very, very depressing. I am looking forward to kick-off at 12 pm on September 12th!
Pulled in so many directions. If the b10 and p12 make it back , it might help validate. It's hard to achieve the normal level of excitement when the season could come to an abrupt end at any time. Add in the late modification of the schedule and no fan. That said, when I turn on @ UNC it will be fun to have cfb and hopefully see the team development we are all hoping for.

That’s some quality straw man work. It was a simple question - just about everything you post is miserable, meant to point out how bad things are or simply to refute anyone who is positive or excited about anything in this program - so it’s a legitimate question.

why would someone come to a fan board every day just to point out to everyone else how bad they think the program and the players and the recruits are? Is it ok for the fans on the fan board to ever be positive or excited without the counterpoint?

i've never been less excited about a Syracuse football season since I matriculated. Even the nadir of GERG there was a twinkle of optimism for even the first few games that maybe it could turn around.

My contention with this season is if it happens, what is the end game? Feel like it's a season to play but don't feel like it's a season where any team can achieve and reach lofty goals.

If we lose every game this year or go .500 i'm not going to lose much sleep over it. If we go undefeated it'll be written off as a fluke year.

I'll be excited when life goes back to normal and Syracuse sports are a fun thing to watch while i'm not worrying about life, kids, job, etc.
My suggestion is just don't watch. I wouldn't want you to have health issues with all the worrying that you have going on.

no he’s right your shtick is old.

Dear God, you live in a world that doesn't have easy access to a rye boat?
I know!! Even in this time of quarantine, my world is expanding!! Is it regional?I grew up in PA and in my 1970-80's youth, my older brother and I were the indentured servants for my parents whenever they had a party. I recall circulating the house with trays of hors d'oeruves which included a magical creation spread on rounds of buttered and broiled Pepperidge Farm rye and pumpernickel rounds. I have not had it in decades but I am now inspired to scour my mom's recipe box to find it. It sounds somewhat similar - mayo-cheese-onions - but hers was not quite as complex. Thank you for triggering that memory. I am going to recreate one and try another.

I'm going to be in Syracuse/Cazenovia in mid September. Is there a place I can go that has a particularly good version of Rye Boat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom