My work experience and the recruitment of Green | Syracusefan.com

My work experience and the recruitment of Green

dasher

Living Legend
Years ago, I met a business owner whose company pension plan was totally messed up. By coincidence, the guy in the next office to mine, was the biggest pension expert in the United States. He went all over the country giving seminars to C.P.A.'s and Tax lawyers on pension plans. So I show him the guys pension plan. He outlines a great strategy. saves the guy a ton of money and really helps his employees. Oh, and I make wait for it, $60,000 in up front commissions. I take it out to the guy and he loves it. He says I want to run it by my accountant. I said fine. I will go with you in case he has any questions. He says no need dasher. You have explained it so well. Okay. the next day I call him back and he says I have good news and bad news. The good news is that my accountant thought it was brilliant. The bad news is he called a guy in the business and he came over and I did the Transfer and the changes with him. Sorry. I told him I have two things. My ideas and my time. You wasted one and stole the other. Sometimes it happens. I didn't do anything wrong( I couldn't have tried harder to go to the Accountants office than I did). Syracuse couldn't have tried any harder with Green. they got the verbal. He was stolen from us. We have Frank. We will be fine. And so I was I. This was in the 80's and I did have the $60,000 spent in my head.

Years ago, I met a business owner whose company pension plan was totally messed up. By coincidence, the guy in the next office to mine, was the biggest pension expert in the United States. He went all over the country giving seminars to C.P.A.'s and Tax lawyers on pension plans. So I show him the guys pension plan. He outlines a great strategy. saves the guy a ton of money and really helps his employees. Oh, and I make wait for it, $60,000 in up front commissions. I take it out to the guy and he loves it. He says I want to run it by my accountant. I said fine. I will go with you in case he has any questions. He says no need dasher. You have explained it so well. Okay. the next day I call him back and he says I have good news and bad news. The good news is that my accountant thought it was brilliant. The bad news is he called a guy in the business and he came over and I did the Transfer and the changes with him. Sorry. I told him I have two things. My ideas and my time. You wasted one and stole the other. Sometimes it happens. I didn't do anything wrong( I couldn't have tried harder to go to the Accountants office than I did). Syracuse couldn't have tried any harder with Green. they got the verbal. He was stolen from us. We have Frank. We will be fine. And so I was I. This was in the 80's and I did have the $60,000 spent in my head.
Story that hits home how harsh life is. Live and learn. But in terms of "stealing" , i am sincerely asking : was there something fundamentally different in how uk lured green away from SU and the way Battle changed his mind from Mich and comitted to SU? Or do you feel they are similar parallel situations? I mean i get it, Green seemed to change his mind a little more abruptly, but other than that....?

Story that hits home how harsh life is. Live and learn. But in terms of "stealing" , i am sincerely asking : was there something fundamentally different in how uk lured green away from SU and the way Battle changed his mind from Mich and comitted to SU? Or do you feel they are similar parallel situations? I mean i get it, Green seemed to change his mind a little more abruptly, but other than that...?
First, Battle was thought to be a Syracuse lean for a long time before stunning everyone and saying Michigan. That is a difference. And I think it is apparent that the Syracuse coaches think there is a difference. Seth Greenberg doesn't go on tv and say that Green's recruitment might be dirty and that the NCAA should take a look if he didn't hear that from Syracuse. No one at Michigan even hinted that we did anything wrong.

First, Battle was thought to be a Syracuse lean for a long time before stunning everyone and saying Michigan. That is a difference. And I think it is apparent that the Syracuse coaches think there is a difference. Seth Greenberg doesn't go on tv and say that Green's recruitment might be dirty and that the NCAA should take a look if he didn't hear that from Syracuse. No one at Michigan even hinted that we did anything wrong.
Did Greenberg really say that ? That'd be great.

I feel Kentucky got into desperation mode and knew Green could get them 2 or 3 other players to fill the class.

He "did what he had to do."

Not that it matters at this point, but after Green flipped, the spin was that the NG coaches were advising Green to go to SU but Green changed his mind last sec. not sure im buyin it. After Wes and Cal got a hold of Green at the Garden, that NG coach couldnt go on record fast enough to the media that Green had just made up his mind. That coach seemed more than fine with Greens decision to flip to uk, given how he was supposedly pushing green toward SU- something doesnt add up! But that is no shocker if and when slimeballs like Cal and wes get involved...

this Quade swing could be the best thing that ever happened to college basketball. i have a feeling this could create some serious national dialogue

Howard's an all ACC candidate come next season mark my words.

That is what I heard he said on espn earlier today.

does anyone have a clip of this or any evidence anywhere? id be interested to hear what he actually said. I watched an obnoxious amount of seth and jay will yesterday (love holiday week early weekday hoops) and saw nothing of the sort. and tried googling to see if there was any mention anywhere. sounds like the typa thing that mighta garnered some attention. I thought greenberg was friends with cal.

• Recruit your candidates.be selective 2-3 for each spot open. Tell them they all are special and offer them. tell them that it s first come first served. establish a deadline. for those they say SU is their dream school tell them its time to wake up and the dream can be replaced by reality. Just sign. If not, we will take the necessary steps so that your dreaming will not result in a SU nightmare.

I was also reminded of my own work experience. I work in an industry where it's all about recruiting top talent and you have a relatively small number of employers competing against each other for the same people. It's not uncommon for job candidates to stall as long as possible after they get an offer, trying to see what else will come along, and for competitors to swoop in at the last minute. There's no foolproof way to deal with it, but one thing we never ever do is tell the other candidates we've filled the position until our top choice is signed, sealed and delivered. If you do, you probably end up with no one. Or a bitter second or third choice who takes the job because he/she had no other options.

I feel Kentucky got into desperation mode and knew Green could get them 2 or 3 other players to fill the class.
Kentucky never gets in desperation mode when it comes to recruiting. Never.

They were 100% in desperation mode. The pt guard they got before Green was ranked in the 40's. Not good enough if you have to play as a frosh. Cal panicked. But the bigger question is, what are you doing here? Are you the Wildcat protector? If yes, you must be busy. Cal has been a cheater since his days as UMass. Then on to Memphis. Now at the grand daddy of them all, Kentucky.

I'm glad we are still so important to you, that you hang out in a Cuse forum! Did you ask your parents to stay up later to read our boards tonight?

IMG_6031.GIF

I heard an interview a few days ago, Cal and one of the Fox sports guys. He almost had me ready to commit! Very upbeat, focused on the players. Not a guy who would call out a player in a post game presser.

My problem is with Green. He obviously gave his word to JB, I'm betting they even shook hands on it. He played the coaches and yeah, ended up with a sweet ($) deal. But he has to learn, you NEVER go back on your word!

Quote from Green's coach:
"He hasn't said it to me but just being around him, I think Kentucky was the choice for a little while now. He just kept it to himself. He was wearing Kentucky stuff every day in practice. The fact that one of his ex-teammates plays football there, [Syracuse] was just a situation where he felt comfortable, but he wanted to go to Kentucky."
Doesn't really support the narrative that he was ours up until the champions classic. Wearing Kentucky gear in practice everyday. .

"He hasn't said it to me but just being around him, I think Kentucky was the choice for a little while now. He just kept it to himself. He was wearing Kentucky stuff every day in practice. The fact that one of his ex-teammates plays football there, [Syracuse] was just a situation where he felt comfortable, but he wanted to go to Kentucky."
Doesn't really support the narrative that he was ours up until the champions classic. Wearing Kentucky gear in practice everyday. .

Wearing of gear can be tough. I have a roommate that went to Michigan State so I have a few Michigan State shirts that I workout in. Doesn't mean I'm a fan by any means.

Also, welcome to the board!

Not sure where the quote came from but I don't think Quade was repeatedly making visits to the Melo Center and attending our Elite Camp because he knew a guy on the football team.

Wearing of gear can be tough. I have a roommate that went to Michigan State so I have a few Michigan State shirts that I workout in. Doesn't mean I'm a fan by any means.

Also, welcome to the board!
Some backround: Francis on his recent pod claimed that QG wanted to go to duke as recently as this summer. I also remember from this summer, someone saw him wearing duk gear, so i believe Francis. F also said K lost interest in QG soon after that. My guess is K saw that QG is all about himself, which is probably true as QG (according to Francis) flipped from Cuse to duk to Cuse to uk in a matter of a few months. The kid is a tremendous talent but likely all about himself which is fine - uk is a Perfect fit for him!

Last edited:
I at 5/6 rows behind Green at Orange Madness. When they introduced Boeheim and everyone stood up, clapped, and gave their respects, Green remained seated. Yes, this is his choice, but as a fan, rubbed me the wrong fan and instantly put up the red flag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom