NABC just proposed that SAT and ACT requirements be permanently eliminated from NCAA initial-eligibility standards | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NABC just proposed that SAT and ACT requirements be permanently eliminated from NCAA initial-eligibility standards

It is not supposed to be an indicator of intelligence, but rather an predictor of the ability to succeed in college.
How though? The test is on two Subjects. If someone is not good at Math does that mean they will flunk out of college?

How though? The test is on two Subjects. If someone is not good at Math does that mean they will flunk out of college?

Reading/writing/listening comes into play in every class and math factors into all of the sciences and business classes. Other subjects don’t have much crossover. History, for example, is just straight memorization.

Reading/writing/listening comes into play in every class and math factors into all of the sciences and business classes. Other subjects don’t have much crossover. History, for example, is just straight memorization.
You could say some aspects of Math are about memorization. Not everyone who is successful in business is great at Math.

You could say some aspects of Math are about memorization. Not everyone who is successful in business is great at Math.

I got a crazy high math SAT but couldn't do what came after it when it became about how to punch in formulas to a graphing calculator had to change my major when calc 1 at SU was a no go. But I bet I would have been OK at calc in the 1970s when there were no fancy calculators. Was weird tho I was an A math student and then barely got a C last year of HS because they'd give you a calculator cheat sheet and I'd always mess up the formulas and get everything wrong.

I don't know what to think of this. The BB/FB student athletes I knew were all held to high standards and had to slog through their courses with the rest of us with little/no preferential treatment. We have a tough school in general. Standardized tests are kind of the only thing standard. This might totally end college prep courses for athletes in certain HS like IMG if you drop minimum SATs.

I also don't think its a bad thing for a 16 year old young adult to have to prepare for a tough test like this.

But hey I'm someone who wholeheartedly supports higher education and the system we have in place and think SU has done a great job by its athletes even if they leave early they are part of the family and alumni base. I want as little changes done as possible their degree is worth more than some cash. I'm proud that we have never been like UNC. SU is not supposed to be easy.

Medical Boards and Pilot Flight Exams are going away too. Everyone passes.

1594986751720.png

I got a crazy high math SAT but couldn't do what came after it when it became about how to punch in formulas to a graphing calculator had to change my major when calc 1 at SU was a no go. But I bet I would have been OK at calc in the 1970s when there were no fancy calculators. Was weird tho I was an A math student and then barely got a C last year of HS because they'd give you a calculator cheat sheet and I'd always mess up the formulas and get everything wrong.

I don't know what to think of this. The BB/FB student athletes I knew were all held to high standards and had to slog through their courses with the rest of us with little/no preferential treatment. We have a tough school in general. Standardized tests are kind of the only thing standard. This might totally end college prep courses for athletes in certain HS like IMG if you drop minimum SATs.

I also don't think its a bad thing for a 16 year old young adult to have to prepare for a tough test like this.

But hey I'm someone who wholeheartedly supports higher education and the system we have in place and think SU has done a great job by its athletes even if they leave early they are part of the family and alumni base. I want as little changes done as possible their degree is worth more than some cash. I'm proud that we have never been like UNC. SU is not supposed to be easy.
Its not a bad thing, but not everyone tests well, and there are circumstances for why people don't do well on a test. These are 16 year old kids. I just don't think a three hour test should define a kids future and overlook four years of high school work.

Well said.
But it should also be a factor. I'm sorry in the real world you have to perform under pressure in most professional fields. You plan ahead and take the test at least twice.

I've had flight examinations that lasted 12 hours and were at the mercy of the jet, weather, ATC, and co-workers. They sucked but it was vital to have them be tough.

Yep Jessie sure didn't get into Stanford with that kind of score.
But was it Stanford she wanted to get into? Or Stansbury?

But it should also be a factor. I'm sorry in the real world you have to perform under pressure in most professional fields. You plan ahead and take the test at least twice.

I've had flight examinations that lasted 12 hours and were at the mercy of the jet, weather, ATC, and co-workers. They sucked but it was vital to have them be tough.

But an examination to be a pilot (which is literally a matter of life and death and thus requires extremely strict testing for human safety purposes) and an examination to attend college are two completely different universes.

I agree that the SAT and ACT should still exist, but there's no logical reason for them to have as much influence as they do.

But an examination to be a pilot (which is literally a matter of life and death and thus requires extremely strict testing for human safety purposes) and an examination to attend college are two completely different universes.

I agree that the SAT and ACT should still exist, but there's no logical reason for them to have as much influence as they do.
Yes but college is a discriminator...not everyone should be in college. Too many today are in college and they should be in vocational training.

That's incorrect. History requires analysis and the ability to communicate arguments both orally and written. Critical thinking skills are important to the major.

Yes but college is a discriminator...not everyone should be in college. Too many today are in college and they should be in vocational training.

Agreed -- but those ideas aren't mutually exclusive.

More kids should go into vocational training and also the SAT/ACT should not be a hard requirement for college admittance.

That's incorrect. History requires analysis and the ability to communicate arguments both orally and written. Critical thinking skills are important to the major.

I found the history major. Haha

Medical Boards and Pilot Flight Exams are going away too. Everyone passes.

The medical boards aren’t going away. USMLE is a three step test. The first two steps are taken in med school and the third in residency. The first step is going to be P/ whereas before it was numerical.

Or people with test anxiety.

Those people who its important for will end up taking it multiple times if they feel they aren't great test takers and can do better.

I think removing SAT prep being forced upon star HS basketball players will do nearly all of those kids a disservice.

Nearly every university has de emphasized it for admissions.