NABC just proposed that SAT and ACT requirements be permanently eliminated from NCAA initial-eligibility standards | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NABC just proposed that SAT and ACT requirements be permanently eliminated from NCAA initial-eligibility standards

I’ll tell you why it’s not a fair test ... because children of the rich / elite have a huge advantage by being able to take prep courses which teach you how to take the test and artificially raise your score hundreds of points .. while a lot of kids can’t afford them

The privileged also manage to get doctors notes that say they can take the test “untimed” due to some made up fake ass medical condition ...

I’ll tell you why it’s not a fair test ... because children of the rich / elite have a huge advantage by being able to take prep courses which teach you how to take the test and artificially raise your score hundreds of points .. while a lot of kids can’t afford them

The privileged also manage to get doctors notes that say they can take the test “untimed” due to some made up fake ass medical condition ...
Those sat courses aren't what they are cracked out to be. I took a few and barely improved my score.

A bajillion dollars I can guess who “the privileged” refers to here.

Last edited:
Those sat courses aren't what they are cracked out to be. I took a few and barely improved my score.
That’s on you .. there are finite types of questions that repeat test after test .. just with a few modifications .. anyone can be taught to recognize these pattens with repetition ..

1%er apparently j/k

I heard generally you can raise your total SAT score by a 100 points? True?

I believe in a holistic approach to admissions. I think SAT/ACT tests are part of it. The student's effort and drive are as vital as past educational learning.

The mistake made is thinking all kids deserve to go to college... the answer is no.

1%er apparently j/k

I believe in a holistic approach to admissions. I think SAT/ACT tests are part of it. The student's effort and drive are as vital as past educational learning.

The mistake made is thinking all kids deserve to go to college... the answer is no.

You can only goose those things to a point, it's a bit of a scam. Yet we pay.

High school GPA issues run into issues when comparing kids who are in a rigorous school as opposed to those that aren't.

High school GPA issues run into issues when comparing kids who are in a rigorous school as opposed to those that aren't.
Only worse in college.

Ivy League is a joke now...a 3.5 GPA is like a 2.2 back in the day.

If I were a decision maker for hiring... I'd avoid most Ivy applicants...and frankly most women with liberal arts degrees. Cuz #metoo I didn't used to feel that way but the last 5-10 years has been eye-opening and saw the damage an unsubstantiated claim that can screw over good workers. Guilty until proven innocent and no negative outcomes for the false accuser.

I'd do deep dives on their social media too on every candidate that is possible for interview...you can't find everything but it helps.

Last edited:

I know my SAT score went up 50 pts under the old scale just taking it a 2nd time. No prep other than studying stuff I was weak on and testing smarter

I was lazy in HS too...so my studying wasn't rigorous

As someone who hires people I’m not really seeing the current crop of graduates as dumbed down. If anything It appears the youngest in my department have more technical skills than the most veteran employees. Obviously there’s skilled veteran workers that are experts in their field, but the new workers help my team get things done more efficiently and have helped cut my headcount.

As someone who hires people I’m not really seeing the current crop of graduates as dumbed down. If anything It appears the youngest in my department have more technical skills than the most veteran employees. Obviously there’s skilled veteran workers that are experts in their field, but the new workers help my team get things done more efficiently and have helped cut my headcount.
Where does your application pool come from?

Do you research social media?

After all entrance requirements are abolished a college degree will be near worthless.
Eventually only doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists will go to advanced education.

1%er apparently j/k

Lol not even close. My parents worked hard and made a pretty good living. Both have Masters degrees so they always put some money into my education. I did raise my scores a few points but I don't think all of that extra work was worth it.

I find the writing skills of recent college grads to be abysmal in a corporate setting. Yes, they are more technically proficient with software apps than many older employees but well below average in organized thought expression. At least that's my experience.

Only worse in college.

Ivy League is a joke now...a 3.5 GPA is like a 2.2 back in the day.

If I were a decision maker for hiring... I'd avoid most Ivy applicants...and frankly most women with liberal arts degrees. Cuz #metoo I didn't used to feel that way but the last 5-10 years has been eye-opening and saw the damage an unsubstantiated claim that can screw over good workers. Guilty until proven innocent and no negative outcomes for the false accuser.

I'd do deep dives on their social media too on every candidate that is possible for interview...you can't find everything but it helps.

I think you said the quiet part out loud ..

Where does your application pool come from?

Do you research social media?

My two most recent hires were Lemoyne and SU grads. Lots of Clarkson grads where I work as well.

And we use all media to advertise.

My two most recent hires were Lemoyne and SU grads. Lots of Clarkson grads where I work as well.

And we use all media to advertise.

Re researching social media I think
He’s talking about doing deepdives into Your applicants’ footprints on social media.

Re researching social media I think
He’s talking about doing deepdives into Your applicants’ footprints on social media.

No. I don’t personally. I was a young kid once who posted stupid crap(MySpace/facebook)as did the rest of us. Maybe it’s because I’m only 35? Anyone over 40 never had to worry about social media because their young stupidity never made it to the internet.

I do know coworkers that have hidden their social media just so nobody at work can see them.

How though? The test is on two Subjects. If someone is not good at Math does that mean they will flunk out of college?
It's a predictor. If you can't do math, you may flunk your math classes, which impacts your GPA, and your "success.
If you have a hard time with reading and reasoning, you may not succeed.

It's a predictor. If you can't do math, you may flunk your math classes, which impacts your GPA, and your "success.
If you have a hard time with reading and reasoning, you may not succeed.
You only need to take a few math classes in college unless your a Math or Business major. Your odds of passing an entire class are greater than succeeding on one test.

That's an extremely ugly line of thinking, Mark. Completely unacceptable suggestion. Some people like to make fun of it when feminists talk about "the patriarchy," but there's a reason why it's an issue, and your statement fully brought it to light.

I love your work tailgating, but your idea on hiring is damaging.

I think you said the quiet part out loud ..
Just reality...saw a few guys go through hell for very suspect crap. One was an outright lie as the guy had an airtight alibi but it cost him thousands to fight it. This accuser was all drama and stirred up constant turmoil with other women in the workplace. No one wanted to fire her for being afraid of lawsuits.

The accuser was afforded free legal counsel and no repercussions for lying...it was screwed up.

Another male friend had a female who was getting reassigned for being incompetent...she accused him of hugging and trying to kiss her after hearing the new assignment. Fortunately, a female co-worker heard the conversation and backed up my friend.

I almost always kept my door open in my office when a female subordinate came in. It served me well. Only once or twice I broke the rule but I used my judgement.

If you are a predator throw the book at you but the system is rigged against most men.

Last edited: