Naheem McLeod Transferring to Syracuse (5/15/23) | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Naheem McLeod Transferring to Syracuse (5/15/23)

This team is built differently and will play differently. I loved Jesse too but the bigs in Maui would take his lunch money if we planned to have him go 1 on 1 in the post all game.
You think the game plan would’ve been to have Jesse go 1on1 the whole time? Good grief. You know, you can have elite guards and a great center at the same time. See UConn, Gonzaga, and many many other teams.

“Jesse’s game was not built for how Red wants to play.” This whole idea that Jesse can’t play in a more uptempo system is just not true. You can still play 3-4 guards/wings. Red wanted Jesse back. He and Judah were the key pieces he was hoping to build around. He left only because of a stupid WVU NLI package. We’ll still be good but we could’ve been even better with Jesse.
He would have wanted the ball too much. I’d rather have those possessions go to Judah and the other guards. As someone who’s seen the team practice I’m very satisfied with the roster we have.

You think that would’ve been the game plan? Good grief. You know, you can have elite guards and a great center at the same time. See UConn, Gonzaga, and many many other teams.

Jesse was great for us and fits a certain style of play. Mtm would have been a big adjustment for him just as it will at WVU. Browns role likely exceeds Jesse's even if Jesse returns. Love to have him back but many of the same questions for McLeod in mtm exist for Jesse. Jesse is better on offense for sure.

We got to see him when matching up a few times and trying to stay in front of guys and that wasn't his game.

Your original post talked about going up against the beef in Maui. Jesse didn't add much weight that I'm aware of to be going toe to toe with the bigs there. We saw him struggle against stronger bigs and I already mentioned the mtm. Truly think Naheem being stronger against those matchups with the all around game and defense of Maliq pairs as a better overall game plan.

Our guard play and shooting will determine things this year as will the quality of our mtm.

He would have wanted the ball too much. I’d rather have those possessions go to Judah and the other guards. As someone who’s seen the team practice I’m very satisfied with the roster we have.

Yup. And too many minutes. We don’t need his or anyone’s big ass clogging the paint up for 30+ minutes a game.

Looking forward to the 20 or so minutes of having Brown at the 5 being in the right place, with guards who get to the rack, and shooters to space the floor.

Well, I love our guards and wings. I mean, Judah, JJ, Chance and Copeland is a really talented and athletic foursome that can play 1-3 positions. I’ve been pumped about them for awhile. Glad to hear the roster has looked good in practices.

Yup. And too many minutes. We don’t need his or anyone’s big ass clogging the paint up for 30+ minutes a game.

Looking forward to the 20 or so minutes of having Brown at the 5 being in the right place, with guards who get to the rack, and shooters to space the floor.

Well Red really really wanted him. And he didn’t have any problem with one of our collectives offering him $300-400 thousand dollars.

Jesse was great for us and fits a certain style of play. Mtm would have been a big adjustment for him just as it will at WVU. Browns role likely exceeds Jesse's even if Jesse returns. Love to have him back but many of the same questions for McLeod in mtm exist for Jesse. Jesse is better on offense for sure.

We got to see him when matching up a few times and trying to stay in front of guys and that wasn't his game.

Your original post talked about going up against the beef in Maui. Jesse didn't add much weight that I'm aware of to be going toe to toe with the bigs there. We saw him struggle against stronger bigs and I already mentioned the mtm. Truly think Naheem being stronger against those matchups with the all around game and defense of Maliq pairs as a better overall game plan.

Our guard play and shooting will determine things this year as will the quality of our mtm.
I said Maui and the noncon schedule is gonna be a meatgrinder and a gauntlet. I wasn’t talking about the size or beef of the teams but the talent (but yes those are probably teams with some beef). Getting Jesse back would’ve made us more talented, period, end of story. Plus you cannot discount his experience. He would’ve been a fifth year player. Also, Jesse wasn’t really a “lane clogger.” His scoring ability in the lane made the pick and roll hard to defend, and now we actually have athletic guards who can drive and we would’ve been that much more dangerous on offense. It’s bizarre that anyone would disagree that it’s better to have an all conference center return. You don’t think UConn having Sanogo and Clingan on the team was a huge difference maker? It helped them go from a really good team to a national title team. Why were skilled centers so coveted in the portal? Having AO on the 2010 team made us almost unstoppable on offense because if we needed a bucket and Wes or Andy were covered, we could dump it into him and he could usually score or pass off if they double teamed him. That said, I still think we’re gonna be good this year.

Last edited:
Well Red really really wanted him. And he didn’t have any problem with one of our collectives offering him $300-400 thousand dollars.
Yeah, some fans thinking we didn't want Edwards is definitely a case of sour grapes. Edwards leaving for WVU was the one big downside to our excellent off-season.

Gotta want a guy who was proven and put up 14, 10, and 3 or whatever it was. You know what you’re getting and that he’ll produce.

But perhaps it will be a blessing in disguise and work out better?

Way back in the day example, but pretty sure JB wanted Michael Lloyd back, and then Z almost took us all the way.

Gotta want a guy who was proven and put up 14, 10, and 3 or whatever it was. You know what you’re getting and that he’ll produce.

But perhaps it will be a blessing in disguise and work out better?

Way back in the day example, but pretty sure JB wanted Michael Lloyd back, and then Z almost took us all the way.
And Pearl left a year early. Opened the door for Sherm. I think JAB was OK with how that worked out.

Last edited:
Yeah, some fans thinking we didn't want Edwards is definitely a case of sour grapes. Edwards leaving for WVU was the one big downside to our excellent off-season.

Let me be clear not saying we didn't want him myself included. Just saying as good as he was the same questions on defense we have right now would be the same with Jesse as without.

I said Maui and the noncon schedule is gonna be a meatgrinder and a gauntlet. I wasn’t talking about the size or beef of the teams but the talent (but yes those are probably teams with some beef). Getting Jesse back would’ve made us more talented, period, end of story. Plus you cannot discount his experience. He would’ve been a fifth year player. Also, Jesse wasn’t really a “lane clogger.” His scoring ability in the lane made the pick and roll hard to defend, and now we actually have athletic guards who can drive and we would’ve been that much more dangerous on offense. It’s bizarre that anyone would disagree that it’s better to have an all conference center return. You don’t think UConn having Sanogo and Clingan on the team was a huge difference maker? It helped them go from a really good team to a national title team. Why were skilled centers so coveted in the portal? Having AO on the 2010 team made us almost unstoppable on offense because if we needed a bucket and Wes or Andy were covered, we could dump it into him and he could usually score or pass off if they double teamed him. That said, I still think we’re gonna be good this year.

No need for the long explanation. Point was simple- would everyone here preferred he stay? 1000 pct yes. Would the questions on D be the same/similar- I believe so. Would Maliqs role still continue to grow even at the 5? Believe so as well. His value is higher than McLeod. His impact certainly positive especially on offense. The more I look at his game the more it's still a question mark how big his role/impact is in terms of how much better we would be. We will never know and I'm glad we at least brought another big man in. I just hope the money he makes is enough for the potentially rough season they may have in Morgantown.

You can look at the What if” scenarios alll you want. Jesse made the decision to leave vice staying. He went for the grass is greener option instead of staying.

He needs an aggressive player at the 4 next to him though. I hope that can be Benny then have Taylor at the 3. Bell watched Naheem work to block multiple shots and then not try and get the board. We can't waste Mcleods dominance down low.
Yep, agreed.
I'm just pleased so far - as I, personally, was expecting a poor man's Chukwu and it's already clear Nahiem > Paschal

Griff has done some nice work with him and remember he's scratching the surface. Hopefully he progresses like Jesse did.
Won’t matter if they don’t call plays for him or try to feed the post.

Won’t matter if they don’t call plays for him or try to feed the post.
Think this will happen over time, maybe not this year but maybe next year. Gotta remember he's almost like a freshmen as he played limited minutes at FSU last year.

Think this will happen over time, maybe not this year but maybe next year. Gotta remember he's almost like a freshmen as he played limited minutes at FSU last year.
He’s not uber raw. He has a post move. There are no other frontcourt options. We can’t afford to underuse him. We need him now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom