Naheem McLeod Transferring to Syracuse (5/15/23) | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Naheem McLeod Transferring to Syracuse (5/15/23)

Not unusual for a 7 foot tall individual but he’s extremely slow footed and a bit slow to react to shots off the rim.
Sounds like he needs some Starbucks before the game.

We have 4 centers on the roster who fit that description. Four!
This has been SU's roster philosophy since 2012 or whenever, even through the sanctions and roster limits. Pile in the project centers and hope to cash a lottery ticket. It hasn't been very effective - Jesse is probably the closest they've come to success. Meanwhile other peer schools spend their roster space on wings and guards who can score at three levels.

LSU's leading scorer, Will Baker, is a 7-footer who scores inside and out -- 5/10 from 3-pointers through 6 games, and scores in the post. I'm guessing we'll see more Maliq than Naheem, but one of them is going to need to stop him.

LSU's leading scorer, Will Baker, is a 7-footer who scores inside and out -- 5/10 from 3-pointers through 6 games, and scores in the post. I'm guessing we'll see more Maliq than Naheem, but one of them is going to need to stop him.

Yes, this is going to be a tough matchup. I wasn't hallucinating last game; Hima did get 3 minutes. So if he's available, too, even for 5 minutes or so, that will also help.

L
Yes, this is going to be a tough matchup. I wasn't hallucinating last game; Hima did get 3 minutes. So if he's available, too, even for 5 minutes or so, that will also help.
if it’s a tougher matchup then why would bringing in a bigger stiff be a solution, I’d rather see Carey playing man, especially outside of the paint, and I don’t want to see him yet.

L

if it’s a tougher matchup then why would bringing in a bigger stiff be a solution, I’d rather see Carey playing man, especially outside of the paint, and I don’t want to see him yet.

Because both are more physical as centers than Maliq Brown is. Malik is going to get bullied and will foul out as the primary center against this kid.

I though McLeod played great against Baker and LSU. If UVA starts Groves I don’t know who he can guard. Maliq might get 30 minutes on Saturday.
Agreed but I would love to see it turned around and have it be an issue that Virginia doesn't have anyone who can guard McLeod.

I think Naheem is one of those guys that has to get off to a good start. Possibly JJ is one of those guys as well. Hard to tell so far.

will Patterson or Carey get minutes?
Unlikely. Maliq will take as much as he can handle, followed by spot minutes by Hima and possibly Benny at the 5. It's absolutely imperative that Maliq stays out of foul trouble, and I hope that doesn't take a significant toll on his pokes/steals.

Posting in this thread because the mods locked the main Center related thread:

Heem.png

Question is this - what did he add that Brown doesn't, other than height?

Brown is a plus defender, blocked a couple shots last night, and while not a glass eater, battles as much as he can. McLeod isn't exactly a top flight rebounder.

Need the forwards to step up rebounding the ball, but I don't think we have a forward that can really do that. That's why Benny's inability to be consistent in any way, shape or form is killing us from becoming a good team. Bell and Taylor just aren't that good, IMO.

Question is this - what did he add that Brown doesn't, other than height?

Brown is a plus defender, blocked a couple shots last night, and while not a glass eater, battles as much as he can. McLeod isn't exactly a top flight rebounder.

Need the forwards to step up rebounding the ball, but I don't think we have a forward that can really do that. That's why Benny's inability to be consistent in any way, shape or form is killing us from becoming a good team. Bell and Taylor just aren't that good, IMO.
Brown topped rebounders with 8, a forward Taylor had 7 and Quadir, a guard had 6 while guard JJ had 4. The remaining 5 players - Mintz, Cuffe, Williams, Hima and Bell totaled 7 rebounds. (Mintz had 3 of those 7) in 85 minutes of combined playing time.

Brown topped rebounders with 8, a forward Taylor had 7 and Quadir, a guard had 6 while guard JJ had 4. The remaining 5 players - Mintz, Cuffe, Williams, Hima and Bell totaled 7 rebounds. (Mintz had 3 of those 7) in 85 minutes of combined playing time.
I don't know what you mean by this? Can you clarify?

To go a step further, I consider Brown since he is playing center to be a center. In a perfect world, he's a power forward. That's not our reality right now since McLeod is out/ineffective, and the other three are virtually unplayable.

BC is not a great rebounding team - outrebounded by 12 vs. GT, and also were outrebounded against The Citadel and Central Connecticut. They outboarded us by 6.

By default, Taylor got some rebounds but I don't think he's an elite rebounder by any stretch. As he is basically playing the 4 for us right now, I would put him below average comparative to other 4's we have had and in the league.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom